PDA

View Full Version : Character build idea

Baxbart
2008-01-15, 06:40 AM
I'm looking to put together a character for and ECL 10 gestalt game, and I was hoping for a little help. I recently set eyes on the Swiftblade class (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070327), and its really piqued my interest, so I was hoping to get at least a few levels and work towards getting the full compliment of swiftblade levels.

Thats about as far as I've got. Initial thoughts were of a Sorceror/Swiftblade//Spellthief (and/or scout/rogue) as a possibility - since I prefer spontaneous caster types and the Charisma synergy would save having to pump Int or Wis too much. I haven't decided on race yet, as its still more of just a concept.

I've also had a look at the possible variants for the sorceror levels (e.g. battle sorceror, or the PHBII variant to switch out familiar for fast metamagic) and possible haste-related items (boots of speed, wand of haste etc), but thats about a dead end for me.

Does anyone have any good ideas for a Swiftblade type gestalt build like this, including, preferably, WBL item choices. I'm trying to make it as effective as possible without getting too cheesy (My DM is a fan of RFED tactics if people get out of hand).

Any thoughts would be much appreciated

Grynning
2008-01-15, 06:58 AM
You could also go with a Swashbuckler or Duskblade//Wizard/Swiftblade for Int synergy and a more in-your-face melee character.
Honestly, though, Sorcerer/Swiftblade pairs well with any melee class. I might dip levels in Hexblade, Blackguard, or Paladin of Whatever on the other side for further Cha synergy.
If you want to be Evil and get crazy with Multi-classing, here's a Mage-killer Gish thingy with good save bonuses: - Sorcerer 10/Swiftblade 10 // Spellthief (or Rogue) 8/Hexblade 3/Fighter 2/Blackguard 2/Occult Slayer 5.

Baxbart
2008-01-15, 07:37 AM
Grynning: Pretty nice idea with the multiclassing, thanks. I think I'll stay away from the wizard route though, since one of the other players has already declared his intention to play an INT-based caster type and I wanted to try something different rather than overlap.

playswithfire
2008-01-15, 09:13 AM
Sorcerer 6/Swiftblade 4//Fighter 2/Paladin 2/Swordsage 2/Sorcerer+1/Wilder 2/Sorcerer+1

important feat:Ascetic Mage at 6 or 9

10th level sorcerer casting; BAB 9
Hit dice: 4d10+2d8+4d6; so average of d8
Base saves of 6/6/7
Charisma to AC in light armor (swordsage+ascetic mage)
Charisma to touch AC up to normal AC (wilder 2)
Charisma to all saves (Paladin 2)

Wordmiser
2008-01-15, 11:13 AM
Whatever you do, be sure to keep full spell progression with the method playswithfire recommended. That's what will bring your character from "pretty good" to "really awesome."

Kioran
2008-01-15, 11:30 AM
Problem I see with Swiftblade is that it could 8and should) be very well interpreted as a double-progression PrC, which is.....fishy in Gestalt. Just keep that in mind.

Baxbart
2008-01-15, 11:42 AM
Yes, I spoke to the GM and he was fine with it - he liked the idea of the PrC.