PDA

View Full Version : We are Legend

StickMan
2008-01-15, 09:20 AM
OK so I've posted about this game before, but now I'm posting some things I'm actually making for the game, Yea. So for the people not in the know the game is basically I am Legend(the movie) placed in a 19th century pseudo England/US setting DND setting. The players at this point are at the start of everyone turning in to feral pseudo-vampires, having just survived the inn they were staying inn getting from the creatures climbing/jumping over the first floor and threw windows.

Now the game is using a few variant most importantly the E6 Rules (http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=206323) that cap max level at 6. As well we are also playing with class defense bonuses (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/defenseBonus.htm) and Armor as damage reduction (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/armorAsDamageReduction.htm).

I'm not trying to recreate the monsters from I am Legend exactly so don't expect them to be the same. I'm also going to have different stages of the infection have different stats.

Stage 1 Infected
Medium Monstrous Humanoid (Human)
HD 1d8+3 (7hp)
Speed 30 ft. (6 squares), Climb 10 ft (2 squares)
Init: +4
AC 14(+4 natural); touch 10; flat-footed 14
BAB +1; Grp +3
Attack Standard attack +3 claw (1d4+2/x2)
Full-Attack Full attack two claws +3/+3 (1d4+2/x2)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks Pounce
Special Qualities Fast healing 1, Darkvision 60ft.
Saves Fort +3 Ref +2 Will +2
Abilities Str 14, Dex 10, Con 16, Int 4, Wis 10, Cha 8
Skills Jump +10 (+4 racial bonus),
Feats Improved Initiative
Environment
Organization Solo, pair, pack (4-6), large pack (7-12).
Challenge Rating 1
Treasure None
Alignment N
Advancement By Hit Dice
Level Adjustment -

Stage 2 Infected
HD 2d8+6 (15hp)
Speed 30 ft. (6 squares), Climb 10 ft (2 squares)
Init: +4
AC 14(+4 natural); touch 10; flat-footed 14
BAB +2; Grp +3
Attack Standard attack +4 claw (1d6+2/x2)
Full-Attack Full attack two claws +4/+4 (1d6+2/x2)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks Pounce
Special Qualities Fast healing 2, Darkvision 60ft, Damage Reduction 1/-
Saves Fort +3 Ref +2 Will +2
Abilities Str 14, Dex 10, Con 16, Int 4, Wis 10, Cha 7
Skills Jump +11 (+4 racial bonus),
Feats Improved Initiative
Environment
Challenge Rating 2
Treasure None
Alignment N
Advancement By Hit Dice
Level Adjustment -

Stage 3 Infected
HD 4d8+12 (30hp)
Speed 30 ft. (6 squares), Climb 15 ft (2 squares)
Init: +5
AC 16(+5 natural, +1 Dex); touch 11; flat-footed 14
BAB +4; Grp +6
Attack Standard attack +6 claw (1d6+3/x2)
Full-Attack Full attack two claws +7/+7 (1d6+3/x2)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks Pounce
Special Qualities Fast healing 3, Darkvision 60ft, Damage Reduction 1/-
Saves Fort +4 Ref +5 Will +4
Abilities Str 16, Dex 12, Con 16, Int 3, Wis 10, Cha 6
Skills Jump +13 (+4 racial bonus),
Feats Improved Initiative, Weapon focus (claw)
Environment
Challenge Rating 3
Treasure None
Alignment N
Advancement By Hit Dice
Level Adjustment -

I will also likely have move advanced versions as pack leader or harder challenges, but that is most of what they will be facing.

OK now for the fire arms these are based on my rough knowlege of 19th century firearms. Not ably I have no clue how long it should take to reload the Magazine on a Rifle of the time so I'm just leaving it as a full round action. Cost is not listed as its not really a factor in a post-apocalyptic world.
Fire Arms
{table=head]Gun|Damage|Critical|Range|Rounds
Lever-action Rifle|2d8|60ft|x2|10
Pump-action Rifle|2d8|60ft|x2|10
Revolver|1d10|40ft|x2|6[/table]

Lever-Action Rifle: Loading a Lever-Action Rifle's magazine is a full round action. You can load One bullet into the barrel from the magazine as Swift Action per round, loading a second bullet in to the barrel costs move action.
Pump-Action Rifle: Loading a Pump-Action Rifle's Magazine is a full round action. You can load One bullet into the barrel from the magazine as a free action once per round, loading a second costs a Swift action, and a 3rd costs a move action.
Revolver: Loading a Revolver's magazine is a full round action. A Revolver reloads the barrel after each shot.

The odd loading system makes it so that to effectively have a high output of shots you need to make use of Rapid Shot and Many Shot feats and also to reflect the fact that Loading Lever and Pump Action Guns is not automatic.
I'll try to clarify this more later but I'm fighting a cold and a headache so I can't even think it out strait (Trust me it works, I think).

Caros
2008-01-15, 09:34 AM
Hmm, my only point I might throw your way is that it is paticularly hard to go for a 'I am Legend' sort of feel and keep any semblance of action in the campaign, same sort of problem as a zombie campaign actually.

The problem lies in the fact that these settings aren't based around the monsters. The monsters are a persistant and dangerous background, but the whole point of the genre is how people deal with them.

I am legend for example, has the character clearly insane from being alone for so long. The contention in most zombie movies is actually how people react to each other, the interpersonal violence, and new bonds that form as a result of such tragedy.

Not to lecture mind you, and I do have a suggestion or two. Most notably, there are only two ways to run a campaign like this, timeskips, and quick finale.

Timeskips is exactly what it sounds like, everytime the players find a little hidey hole, give them a rest, let them fortify, ask what they're doing. Play out the occational event that happens while they're there, NPC's going crazy and trying to leave, pregnancies, personal fights etc. Eventually though, they'll be found and foced out.

Quick Finale is the oposite view. They never find anywhere safe for more than a few minutes, constantly on the run until at last they either escape for somewhere permanently safe, or they are killed outright.

You also have to consider several things. You mentioned england, is there water around? If there is its the smart PC's best initial escape route. Hit the water and hope that these things don't get enough cover from the sun by the water.

Furthermore, how advanced is this infection. Due to the nature of the setting, most people are supposedly dead or infected within an area in hours. Consider, How long does it take for one infected to move from its starting point, to the furthest city limit. Generally doubling to tripling that will give you a decent spread time. (Zombie A bites someone, who turns into zombie B, who bites someone. There will be holdouts, but due to the way these things tend to follow people they'll likely spread out pretty evenly.)

This is assuming it isn't airborne, in which case... yeah ^_^;

Anyways, Gotta run, hope that helped.

Jayabalard
2008-01-15, 09:41 AM
toward the beginning of the century you still have flintlocks and muskets being made, as well as the early breech loading rifles/bolt action rifles.

The Gatling gun (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gatling_gun) was invented in 1865.

I've never seen anyone talk about a pump action rifle... perhaps you mean shotgun?

semi-automatic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_M1900) and fully automatic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1895_Colt-Browning_machine_gun) weapons start appearing in the 1890s

kpenguin
2008-01-15, 09:50 AM
No intelligent infected?

StickMan
2008-01-15, 10:02 AM
toward the beginning of the century you still have flintlocks and muskets being made, as well as the early breech loading rifles/bolt action rifles.

The Gatling gun (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gatling_gun) was invented in 1865.

I've never seen anyone talk about a pump action rifle... perhaps you mean shotgun?

semi-automatic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_M1900) and fully automatic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1895_Colt-Browning_machine_gun) weapons start appearing in the 1890s

Pump-Action Rifles existed for a very short time as they quickly were replaced by Rifles with other firing systems, I didn't even know about them till I started digging around. Gatling guns might come up at some point but I'm not really looking for full auto weapons as that tec is a little later in the century than I want to go. The Pump-Action are going to be the top of the line experimental guns the PC's might find eventually once the story unfolds more.

Caros: The virus is air born, and takes some time to fully take effect unlike many "Zombie" Viruses. But also like I am Legend the Virus has spread over sea. The water thing does not really work as you still need supplies to live that you can only get on land.
The PC's will be dealing with gathering supplies and competing with other survivors, unlike I am legend the Immunity rate is higher. Cults and paramilitary groups in the area are going to be just a few of there problems.
As well they will be dealing with tracking down were the virus came from as they will soon be introduced to a small group trying to find just that out as well as how to cure or better fight infected.
Notably the technology of the 19th century is being augmented in many areas by magic meaning that some technologies are advanced beyond the capacity of the 19th century.

Edit: Posted while I was typing.
kpenguin: Not yet but likely will happen eventually. There may be a number of different Intelligences levels on pack leaders. I may even have the PC come in contact with Infected that keep all mental capacity, I'm not sure how these Infected will interact with the others however.

Kiren
2008-01-15, 03:29 PM
when they escape by water, bring out the infected sharks

StickMan
2008-01-15, 07:56 PM
when they escape by water, bring out the infected sharks

Not sure how much I'm going to spread this to non humanoids, but hey Merfoke and all the aquatic subraces come to the rescue.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-01-15, 08:38 PM
When in the 19th century is this?

Maldraugedhen
2008-01-16, 12:30 AM
Not sure how much I'm going to spread this to non humanoids, but hey Merfoke and all the aquatic subraces come to the rescue.

Dogs could be affected by the disease in the movie.

Sharks are a bit more distant, but I'd say all near-human races and all mammalian creatures are fair game.

paigeoliver
2008-01-16, 03:29 AM
I have run a few zombie one shot games and honestly it is a genre that doesn't really require a separate game system or rules system. Usually you can literally run a zombie game with any system*** using about 3 paragraphs of text to define how your zombies work and how infection works.

Any effort you are putting into the system beyond that is best spent writing actual zombie adventures, and otherwise getting yourself ready for running your game.

Also, I AM LEGEND had nothing unique to it at all. It is simply a modern "fast zombie" movie. The basic rules weren't appreciably different than 28 Days/Weeks later, and aren't even too far removed from the older style "slow zombies" from the "Living Dead" days.

Differing stats for different "levels" of zombies is a needless complication and is largely going against the genre, which almost universally favors a mass of interchangeable zombies and will only pick one out of the crowd for dramatic effect. Past zombie movies have usually focused on people the protagonists once knew, while I AM LEGEND instead just picked some random one to show a half dozen different times.

***Really, pick a game system and it works, it is normal human beings against a single type of foe, any game can do it.

Caros
2008-01-16, 09:53 AM
I'd argue that the "I am legend" Creatures are appreciably different from 'fast zombies.' One only has to look at the trailer to see it. Guy walking normally through an empty city, hunting, farming and so forth.

The fact that these 'zombies' are essentially non-entities during the day turns the mechanic and storytelling aspect on its head. Moreover, the biggest threat zombies ever pose is that they simply do not stop. You run a mile, the zombie shambles after you that mile until you keel over out of breath. You smash in a zombie's head, it doesn't matter, while you were doing that another or more have arrived. Zombies, in a lot of ways, scare people because they are timeless as the dead.

The suggestion of sea based campaigns is still viable, paticularly due to the speed of a good naval vessel. Provided you get a decently fast ship, you move out to sea during the late afternoon, getting far enough from the coast that a swimmer will not reach you before dawn. Hell, since the 'infected' tend to hunt as animals, you really only need to move out of sight to remain safe, the distance is just a safety net.

During the day of course you raid or farm whatever you need from whatever city you can find. Certainly not a permanent solution, but one of the best 'early' fortress designs. Moreover, in the interim they could set up building something more long term.

By long term I would mean something akin to a giant meter thick steel box. Not exactly classy, but build it in a burned out area of the city and you're effectively immune.

I digress. Hehe.

Seems the campaign is well in hand. Not my paticular style (Hate e6 ^_^) but interesting all the same. My only remaining advice? Kill or maim players.

One of the biggest faults that can happen in a campaign that relies on the idea of an ever present, overbearing enemy, is that you don't ever hurt the PC's. They take combat damage, they heal it. The lose an NPC, whoopta. Every so often, hurt a PC, get them captured and have one lose an arm. Have one of them die from a sudden attack, or worse yet, a supposed friendly.

I dunno, just suggestions. Going to bed now =)

StickMan
2008-01-16, 11:36 AM
When in the 19th century is this?
Well as I've said its more of a general time period when I say 19th century but think mid to late. Its a DND world so its not like the players are sitting in England or the United States. I also have to admit that I'm thinking quite a bit of a Victorian League of Extraordinary gentlemen era (which is not exactly realistic).

Dogs could be affected by the disease in the movie.

Sharks are a bit more distant, but I'd say all near-human races and all mammalian creatures are fair game.

I'm not sure how much I really care to get into the whole animal thing for the sake of the story. We'll see how I feel about it as the campaign develops.

I have run a few zombie one shot games and honestly it is a genre that doesn't really require a separate game system or rules system. Usually you can literally run a zombie game with any system*** using about 3 paragraphs of text to define how your zombies work and how infection works.

Any effort you are putting into the system beyond that is best spent writing actual zombie adventures, and otherwise getting yourself ready for running your game.
I'm using DND 3.5 E6 rules with a few mods as I've said. I'm not really looking for a new system nor am I making one.

Also, I AM LEGEND had nothing unique to it at all. It is simply a modern "fast zombie" movie. The basic rules weren't appreciably different than 28 Days/Weeks later, and aren't even too far removed from the older style "slow zombies" from the "Living Dead" days.
I'm going to have to disagree with you here for a few reasons. First off the creatures in I AM LEGEND are not zombies or even vampires for that matter, they are living beings. Secondly the Infected creatures are not stupid like most zombies, I've not seen 28 days later so I can't compare to that movies zombie. Lastly I think I am Legend is fairly unique as the book was published well before 28 days later or Living Dead.

Differing stats for different "levels" of zombies is a needless complication and is largely going against the genre, which almost universally favors a mass of interchangeable zombies and will only pick one out of the crowd for dramatic effect. Past zombie movies have usually focused on people the protagonists once knew, while I AM LEGEND instead just picked some random one to show a half dozen different times.

Different levels makes perfect scenes because the transformation to final form is a long and slow one. People are not Zombies they don't die and reanimate. This is a virus slowly changing a person physiology that does not happen overnight.

A major part of I am Legend is the idea that there is a cure a way to reverse the effects of the virus which is part of my campaign. The Infected are still living people who are victims not just mindless monsters.

Caros: Well unless my players go way outside there normal patern I'm not to worried about them going to Sea on me. I'm the DM not the player as such I'm not the one looking for ways to survive.

Also I've warned my players that I'm not playing nice DM if they do something they have to live with the outcome. Typically I'm not going to go overly out of my way to kill them, but if they do something stupid I'm not balling them out.