PDA

View Full Version : The Order of the Stick: May '05

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

pumpkinetics
2005-05-01, 12:29 AM
Well, another month ahead of us, and a new thread to celebrate.

(If you're wondering why it's may '05, check this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=comics;action=display;num=1083466191 ))

durandal
2005-05-01, 12:35 AM
yay!

hehe some guy gets tstuck with a foreign spell checker. sucks to be him!

evileeyore
2005-05-01, 11:42 AM
This thread had a reply, whereas the other didn't, so here's bumping this one up the row.

On topic. Yeah Hexes!

Schattendrache
2005-05-01, 11:55 AM
Whoah! Deja vu! :o

Zho
2005-05-01, 12:31 PM
Hexes! yay

RBPRX1204
2005-05-01, 01:06 PM
This will all end in tears, you know.

The_King_of_Durf
2005-05-01, 10:29 PM
Oi people, let the Giant or the mods take care of these things

pumpkinetics
2005-05-02, 04:04 AM
Well, since the last comics thread is still open for discussion, I have less of a trust in the mods now.

Besides, regulars creating new monthly threads has happened before (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=comics;action=display;num=1104599534 ).

Nikolai_II
2005-05-02, 06:24 AM
The mods that you don't trust have just seen fit to sticky your thread, grasshopper. ;D

Sneak
2005-05-02, 07:04 AM
I'm, surprised the mods didn't make a new thread and lock this one, like they did with the other May thread. Why did they choose to use this one, instead of the other? Just wondering.

The Giant
2005-05-02, 07:24 AM
Because it's utterly unimportant who starts the thread for each month, and of the two that existed, this one had at least SOME on-topic posts?

The new comic is up.

Bill
2005-05-02, 07:35 AM
Oh no! V got baleful polymorphed.
:o

Gez
2005-05-02, 07:35 AM
The absurd continues! ;D

I like how V. was turned into a newt. Hope he'll get better! But does that mean the hag weighs the same as a duck? :D

Sneak
2005-05-02, 07:37 AM
Hehe... ;D Great comic. But I don't get it, what happened to V?

PokeTheBard
2005-05-02, 07:41 AM
Build a bridge out of her! Then we'll know for sure!

*hears muttering about stone bridges and jabs the person in the ribs*

I hope V DOESNT get better, at least not until after the showdown at the starmetal.

I want to see a newt cast fireball lol!! ;D

Ed: In (i think) the second panel, the Hag is dancing forward on the hex-grid and you see green hexagons swirling around V. just partially off screen. I'm assuming he was morphed...

Ciao.

Edalmri
2005-05-02, 08:01 AM
You're all missing the best part of the comic! How can V getting polymorphed possibly compare with the sheer awesomeness of Belkar's Halfling rage jumping attack?

Nikolai_II
2005-05-02, 08:35 AM
I'm, surprised the mods didn't make a new thread and lock this one, like they did with the other May thread. Why did they choose to use this one, instead of the other? Just wondering.

This was the first, and/or the luckiest. (11 hours older as first, much luckier since it isn't locked :P)

That jumping rule is a wee bit silly in my opinion (and completely correct by the RAW, not that I will ever care ;))

The_Meal
2005-05-02, 08:51 AM
Lots of great jokes in 176 (as always), but clearly the biggest joke was "Flawless victory (http://www.mobygames.com/game/mortal-kombat)." Classic, Rich! (Is my {electronic} gamer background that rare around here?)

~Neal

bedbugsareyummy
2005-05-02, 08:59 AM
Now I have the urge to go "Flawless victory!" at someone.....
I think V-man morphed into a purple snake.

Grey Watcher
2005-05-02, 09:09 AM
I love the last line. :-) Best V moment ever.

Arian
2005-05-02, 09:21 AM
Besides, regulars creating new monthly threads has happened before (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=comics;action=display;num=1104599534 ).

The full list of creators of the monthly comic thread is:

May '05: Pumpkinetics (not mod)
Apr: The Giant (mod)
Mar: Baron (mod)
Feb: Baron (mod)
Jan: GypsyThorn (not mod)
Dec: Baron (mod)
Nov: Matuse (not mod)
Oct: Bogotter (mod)
Sep: Lilly (not mod)
Aug: Baron (mod)
Jul: Duskrider Moogle (not mod)
Jun: daverics damsel (not mod)
May '04: daverics damsel (not mod)
Apr '04: The Giant (mod)
Original: The Giant (mod)

This brings the total 'score' to Mods: 8 Not-Mods: 7

You were saying, Janitor? ;)

Janitor
2005-05-02, 09:25 AM
Ouch, I have been zinged.

Great comic, Belkar jumping was awesome, and I expected someone to be hexed, I just didn't think V was going to be.

Aidan305
2005-05-02, 10:08 AM
Blimey! How many class levels did that hag have?

Zherog
2005-05-02, 10:16 AM
Assuming she was a plain ol' green hag, she'd need enough to cast baleful polymorph - which would be 9 levels in either druid or wizard, or 10 levels in sorcerer.

A hag covey gets polymorph - but that spell only works on willing targets.

Then, of course, there's the whole "plot takes precedence over rules" thing with the comic. Which is a good thing, in my opinion - too many people try to analyze the comics from a rules perspective.

The_Meal
2005-05-02, 10:25 AM
I think V-man morphed into a purple snake.

Ah, the rarely sighted Leggy Snake. Gotcha. :D

~Neal

malicousinsectuk
2005-05-02, 10:26 AM
Hopefully, when V becomes Elf again, we'll find out once and for all her(my preference) gender.

Brother_Hood
2005-05-02, 10:29 AM
Again, Belkar gets all the fun moves. :D

The image of a pint-sized halfling soaring through the air is amusing.

Gez
2005-05-02, 10:29 AM
It's not a snake, it's a NEWT.

garand
2005-05-02, 10:42 AM
V turned into the little girl from "Aliens"?!

Schattendrache
2005-05-02, 10:48 AM
No no, I think he meant the former House Speaker of the U.S. government....

Aidan305
2005-05-02, 10:58 AM
Again, Belkar gets all the fun moves. :D

The image of a pint-sized halfling soaring through the air is amusing.

Not as amusing as the image of a pint-sized halfling pausing halfway through soaring through the air.

Asklepios
2005-05-02, 11:05 AM
Hey ! That's unfair ! That hag should have suffered Attacks of Opportunity before casting baleful polymorph ! ;D
Poor Varsuvius :(

AtomicKitKat
2005-05-02, 11:15 AM
Hey ! That's unfair ! That hag should have suffered Attacks of Opportunity before casting baleful polymorph ! ;D
Poor Varsuvius :(

First, surprise round(She was aware of them before the reverse was true)

Second, out of reach of Roy(2 tiles, so should be enough), and definitely out of reach of Belkar(I still think Small characters getting a 5 foot reach just for being armed is a stupid rule, thankfully, I don't think they get 10 foot reach even if wielding polearms sized for themselves)

Thirdly, Surprise Round or not, V is never physically armed(I've yet to see V using even a dagger)

nihil8r
2005-05-02, 12:06 PM
How did Belkar do enough damage in one attack to kill her?

Also, doesn't Belkar get an xp penalty for being a level X ranger / level 1 barbarian? Isn't that going to anger him when he discovers that?

I think they should take all of the comics out of the newspaper and put the Stick in there instead. It doesn't matter that none of the old people will get the comic. Roy . . . or Cathy. You decide.

Priceless_Ming
2005-05-02, 12:11 PM
Belkar's probably got holy, axiomatic, vicious, keen, +2 daggers. And with power attack coupled, he could take down a hag or an annis. Though the monster was definitely an Green Hag.

"Flawless Victory" awesome.

Todd
2005-05-02, 12:19 PM

1. He was raging. That gives him a nice Str (& thus damage) bump.

2. He was doing a leap attack ... new feat from the Complete Adventurer that allows one to do insane damage on a leaping charge.

RobbieOC
2005-05-02, 12:20 PM
I'm sure it was just a massive critical. She failed her Fort save is all. ;)

I also liked Belkar doing the "Dragoon" jump-move ala Final Fantasy. Pretty awesome. Great strip, Rich.

Nerd-o-rama
2005-05-02, 12:20 PM
It's not a snake, it's a NEWT.
A newt?!

And anyway, Belkar was raging (Bonus to hi impresive for a halfling STR,) jumping (forget what that adds, exactly,) power attacking, and probably criticaled. Interestingly, he could only have attacked with one of his daggers...

But a one-hit kill is funnier and advances the plot quicker, and therefore is what the Giant chose.

Peldor
2005-05-02, 12:32 PM
Not every monster has to be at full health. The poor hag might have been a bit under the weather. :-[

Newt? V is obviously a salamander now.

Grey Watcher
2005-05-02, 12:39 PM
Well, remember, he does have that Ring of Jumping +20.

ObadiahtheSlim
2005-05-02, 12:43 PM
Well Belkar gets all kinds of bonuses for that attack. He probalby already had good bonuses from his starting str (hey his wis points had to go somewhere), we was raging, and he probably had some pretty nice daggers. You don't think he just had ordinary cheap ones? Goodness he has a wealth per level to keep up with so those daggers probably have some nice bonuses to them.

Nerd-o-rama
2005-05-02, 12:45 PM
Yeah, I'd almost forgotten about the Ring of Jumping. Glad to see the Giant didn't.

I have got to get one of those when I play a Ninja...

garand
2005-05-02, 01:02 PM
No no, I think he meant the former House Speaker of the U.S. government....

Damn you Gingrich! Damn you and your fashionable rubber pants!!!

AtomicKitKat
2005-05-02, 01:24 PM

Leaping Attack, Raging, Power Attack, Critical, possibly even Falling Damage(considering he probably fell like 20 feet, and the hag stopped his fall, probably another 2d6 damage) Oh, and don't forget his possible favoured enemy bonus(Giant maybe? He does dislike people making fun of his height, and Giants are fond of doing that)

garand
2005-05-02, 01:40 PM
Plus it would be silly to have a five page encounter with a single wandering monster.

malicousinsectuk
2005-05-02, 02:19 PM
Besides, who said she was dead? Those X eyes could mean being knocked out. I mean, I know I'D pass out if a halfling landed on me.

radishlaw
2005-05-02, 02:24 PM
Seems any kind of polymorph in this situation
is permanant.

My guess is that there will be several fun strips
about V before he/she returns to normal form.

By the way....please enlighten me on why the newt
can still speak after polymorph?

Nuke
2005-05-02, 02:33 PM
That's easy.. V made his will save. That's how he's able to speak and will be able to still cast spells. At least he should have, his will save should be pretty high.

Good stuff. "heh.. annis."

ObadiahtheSlim
2005-05-02, 03:01 PM
Don't worry Roy, I wouldn't know how to move in a straight line in a bizzare hex world. Before the Over Examiners start picking this apart, remember that comedy takes precidence over rules.

Brother_Hood
2005-05-02, 03:06 PM
Another Cool Thing about it: That's a Death From Above, from Mechwarrior 2, I think. I know it's the add on with the Ghost Bear clan. Well, in the game it's a 90-ton mech doing a high-dive onto a mere 35 ton one, but it's still neat.

Gobbo_in_the_Boots
2005-05-02, 03:11 PM
Flawless victory... muahahahahaha... Monsterkilled! :D
and poor V... I just pray she gets well again :)

The_Shadow
2005-05-02, 03:26 PM
Belkar's probably got holy, axiomatic, vicious, keen, +2 daggers.

This is a joke, right? If Belkar so much as looked funny at a holy, axiomatic weapon he'd be burned to ashes. :)

V-Newt has the cutest little angry-eyebrows!

Asklepios
2005-05-02, 03:30 PM
ROFL !
My above post was pure jest (notice the ;D).

It's a COMIC people !! Don't dissect it to death :P

durandal
2005-05-02, 03:40 PM
Build a bridge out of her! Then we'll know for sure!

BEDEVERE:
What also floats in water?
VILLAGER #1:
Bread!
VILLAGER #2:
Apples!
VILLAGER #3:
Uh, very small rocks!

lolol

ekedolphin
2005-05-02, 04:54 PM
Loved the comic, as always. Looks like Belkar finally got use out of that Ring of Jumping +20 that he picked out of the team's treasure stash in OOTS #130.

Belkar: "No question, give me the Ring of Jumping +20."
V: "Really?"
Belkar: "A magical item that can allow me to rain death from above on my enemies and lets me reach the stuff on the top shelf? Done."

And the hag's expression in this most recent comic when Belkar jumps and doesn't land for several seconds is hilarious. "So, um?" Hee.

Belkar gets a great line in this one, too. "OK, my non-existent patience with this hex crap has run out."

Edalmri
2005-05-02, 05:00 PM
Another Cool Thing about it: That's a Death From Above, from Mechwarrior 2, I think. I know it's the add on with the Ghost Bear clan. Well, in the game it's a 90-ton mech doing a high-dive onto a mere 35 ton one, but it's still neat.
Highlander Burial, woohoo! I love doing that except with Maulers. Guess why I picked this avatar... ;D

The_King_of_Durf
2005-05-02, 05:01 PM
LMAO funny
"My non-existent patience has run out"
"So, um..."
Poor V I hope its alright
EDIT: Yeah I recognized that from MechWarrior 2, I played it so much when I was younger, I liked the flying one with the jetpack

evileeyore
2005-05-02, 05:19 PM
I'm just glad that the Giant has (semi)officially 'proven' that Belkar took at least one level of Barbarian.

_blackswann_
2005-05-02, 06:11 PM
BEDEVERE:
What also floats in water?
VILLAGER #1:
Bread!
VILLAGER #2:
Apples!
VILLAGER #3:
Uh, very small rocks!

lolol
Suddenly, the old man from scene 24's corpse falls in, followed by the killer rabbit.
Run Away! Run Away!

Hexing hag on Hexes... very punny.

Kaerou
2005-05-02, 06:34 PM
wow, V is now so CUTE! ^_^

The_King_of_Durf
2005-05-02, 07:26 PM
Okaaay, that's not exactly how I'd describe him... more little small and slimy

Kaerou
2005-05-02, 09:39 PM
but so little!

durandal
2005-05-02, 10:02 PM
lol shoulda been a ferret...
not sure why, but itd be cool!

A_petrock
2005-05-02, 10:12 PM
prediction.

maybe more slightly monty python jokes? far enough from the original as to not have LIB (laywers in black) run away with things?

yeah im tired from building things and being a Savior... like jesus but not quite.. (im a carpenter)

and...

nice interpretation on the rules.. congradulations. ;D

durandal
2005-05-02, 11:30 PM
i wouldnt mind mroe monty python ;D

boschdevil
2005-05-02, 11:54 PM
Excellent! Now Belkar has an animal companion. :D

Just think of it, the animal companion would have a higher intelligence than the ranger. Besides V could drive Belkar crazy with his goody-arcane ramblings. It's the classic match.

Aidan305
2005-05-03, 06:42 AM
I'm not sure that Belkar has low intelligence. I think, like Elan, he just has a low wisdom score.

_blackswann_
2005-05-03, 08:39 AM
i wouldnt mind mroe monty python ;D
neither would I.

Zorg
2005-05-03, 08:48 AM

Or Battletech for everyone (my '90 compendium pg 33) ;)

JD
2005-05-03, 10:19 AM
I'm not sure that Belkar has low intelligence. I think, like Elan, he just has a low wisdom score.
Belkar has a wis of +9 (Owls Wisdom only adds +4 and he used that scroll that belonged to Durnik).

Elan probably has low str, con, int and wis and has pumped it all into an insane charisma (I mean EVERYONE likes him, I think he's a jerk, but I like him).

"She turned me into a newt!"
"A newt?"
"I got better..."

Peregrine
2005-05-03, 10:26 AM
Belkar has a wis of +9 (Owls Wisdom only adds +4 and he used that scroll that belonged to Durnik).
Durnik? I think you mean Durkon -- wrong hammer-carrying fantasy character. ;D

PokeTheBard
2005-05-03, 10:40 AM
prediction.

maybe more slightly monty python jokes? ~~ yeah im tired from building things and being a Savior... like jesus but not quite.. (im a carpenter)

Like Brian then? :D

I stand by my claim, V should be a Fireballing Newt! He could hide amongst the ferrets rats badgers etc that roy can create to confuse the encounters! Lol...

Ciao

Brother_Hood
2005-05-03, 11:43 AM
Highlander Burial, woohoo! I love doing that except with Maulers. Guess why I picked this avatar... ;D

I can guess. :)

Dang! I'm going to have to dig that game out again and go jumping...

CaptN
2005-05-03, 12:51 PM
Some how I don't think more outside refrences will be coming up in the comic. The great lord tends to stay within the boundries of his own great and all knowing gamer humor. But, of course, I could be wrong. *kau-tau, Kau-tau*

Nighthawk4
2005-05-03, 12:52 PM
I wonder which sex the purple ferret is - or whatever creature it turns out to be. :D

Schattendrache
2005-05-03, 01:12 PM
As stated in the V's Gender Debate thread -- the same gender as V, of course!

Edalmri
2005-05-03, 06:04 PM
V doesn't have a gender, stop spreading those slanderous accusations! >:(

Frojoe21
2005-05-03, 07:47 PM
Now V is a Gecko, or a salamander, or a tiny iguana. That may just be a one time joke, but if Rich reads over this particular thread and see's my post, he may put it otherwise and make another subplot out of this. But if he...Gah, dammit.

The raging jump attack does prove that Belkar took a level in barbarian though.

RBPRX1204
2005-05-03, 09:30 PM
Argh, why do people always go after the magic user first! And where is the rest of the group? This is why you put your wizard toward the rear half of the order, to keep them out of the line of fire. Let's forget that V takes a -2 for Constitution for being an elf, also. ARG! Good grief!

Schattendrache
2005-05-03, 11:52 PM
Argh, why do people always go after the magic user first!

http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=20

;D

Brother_Hood
2005-05-04, 12:53 AM
Re: #20

ROFL! I'd forgotten about that!

I'm sure that whatever V turns out to be will be funny. :)

Sundog
2005-05-04, 12:58 AM
I'm Baack! (Computer died last week...)

I LOVE the Green Hag's hexagon magic. Though, it's a bit weird that she would act rapidly to zap V, then just hang around for Belkar's assault...

Lilly
2005-05-04, 01:17 AM
Well V is now a lizard not a newt. So sad.

But BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAA!!!

*attempts to calm down* Okay, darn google what good are you without pictures.

BWHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHA!

KreenWarrior
2005-05-04, 01:19 AM
I LOVE the Green Hag's hexagon magic. Though, it's a bit weird that she would act rapidly to zap V, then just hang around for Belkar's assault... She had to wait for the next round, which was part of the humor.

ekedolphin
2005-05-04, 01:24 AM
OOTS #177:

Hee! This is gonna be fun, how V can understand everyone but no one else can understand hir! And Belkar looking to finally establish hir sexual identity (but being unable to do so) is priceless.

But, um, they're leaving hir clothes behind? S/he's gonna be in for one heck of a shock if Durkon is able to cast that dispel.

Favorite quotes:

Elan: "Hey, it's making little lizardy noises."
V: "'Noises?' I am speaking Common, and with more skill than anyone using the word 'lizardy'."

Belkar: "Huh. You know, if I knew more about reptillian reproductive anatomy, I'm sure this would answer a lot of questions."
V: "My vengeance shall be prolonged, diminuitive cretin."

Arturius
2005-05-04, 01:26 AM
The hag/annis (which I will now refer to as haggis ;D) probably went for V first since she knew V was more versed in hex grids than the rest of the party. She heard Roy's comment about hexes so who knows how much else she heard.

EDIT: And, of course, Belkar fails to use one of his ranger skills. A decent Knowledge (Nature) roll could probably help him.

Lilly
2005-05-04, 01:32 AM
BWHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

If I remember what my Vet tech friend told me well enough the best way to determine a reptile's sex is to feel the internal organs.

But linkage (http://www.kingsnake.com/anolecare/29.htm) anyways.

"Lizardy!"

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

SumGuy
2005-05-04, 01:35 AM
My non-OotS reading roomie has just officially stated that he has never heard me laugh as loud as I did when I read Belkar's anatomy comment.

props to the Giant, this is now in the running for best_comic_evar

Nerd-o-rama
2005-05-04, 01:40 AM
I have a new favorite strip. And favorite character.

To Summarize:
Bwahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Ojoxsofeta
2005-05-04, 01:59 AM
"My vengeance will be prolonged, diminuitive cretin."

HAAHHAJDKJAHDAHFCAKBJBXAHJHA

AtomicKitKat
2005-05-04, 02:03 AM
To be honest, I've never physically done this myself, but it's not that much easier to differentiate the sexes of lizards than it is amphibians. All amphibians have only one exit/reproductive tract, regardless of gender. Ditto birds(but you can see more obvious differences for them), and reptiles. Some male reptiles have hemipenes, which are essentially 2 half male organs, that move together during sex, thereby forming a reasonable facsimile of the mammalian one. I think they're hidden in the abdominal cavity though, so you'd probably have to do quite a bit of fiddling, both internal and external, to find out.

Edit: To avoid double-posting.

V's last line reminded me a lot of Stewie from Family Guy.

Gez
2005-05-04, 02:44 AM
V. is still a newt, not a lizard. You put too much trust in Elan's zoological knowledge. ;D

Prince_Stefano
2005-05-04, 05:12 AM
Funny thing is, I actually talk like V. in real life :-X

RebelRogue
2005-05-04, 06:34 AM
OMG, that is priceless. I really love the way V's gender discussion has turned into a source of inside comic jokes.

DeadManWalking
2005-05-04, 06:48 AM
Thats it Rich now owes me a new keyboard. That last panel in today's comic caused me to spit hot coffee every where. I cannot wait to see what V. has in store for Belkar.

Drizzt_Fanboy_74
2005-05-04, 06:59 AM
Pure genius! Vaarsuvuis's lizardy noises are hysterical! One of the funniest comics yet! Also, where have Xykon and the crew been?

Sneak
2005-05-04, 07:11 AM
Yeah, we haven't had them in a while, I think since Redcloak killed the hobgoblin that he thought was the supreme ruler.

Anyway, this comic was definitely the best in a long time! I kinda hope V will stay like that for a while, he's much funnier that way than he was as an elf. And this proves that the rest of the party doesn't know for sure what gender he is, as Belkar tried to find out by...erm...nevermind. But seriously, AWESOME COMIC RICH!

Gobbo_in_the_Boots
2005-05-04, 07:37 AM
have to agree with the other goblin. MUAHAHAHAHAHAH! It proves everything. Much more sure then "your horse, sir or miss" or "flawless orbs", it proves that NOONE KNOWS and that I nearly laughed my head off... =)

operafloozy
2005-05-04, 07:51 AM
You know, it looks like they're leaving V's clothes behind . . .

MaxDog
2005-05-04, 08:05 AM
Guess Belkar blew both his Knowledge (Nature) AND Handle Animal checks... ;D

DeadManWalking
2005-05-04, 08:15 AM
Guess Belkar blew both his Knowledge (Nature) AND Handle Animal checks... ;D

:P EWWW....Handle Animal, its gonna take forever to wash that image out of my brain. Thanks MaxDog

Sc00by
2005-05-04, 08:16 AM
You know, it looks like they're leaving V's clothes behind . . .

I've said this elsewhere, but as the giant has said previously, just because you don't see it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Haley has probably picked them up....

Going to be interesting when they turn V back to an elf though, even if they have picked up V's clothes as I assume that s/he will be naked?

All we need to watch for is the blurring ;)

*edit - deviations from the english language

EB
2005-05-04, 08:34 AM
Going to be interesting when they turn V back to an elf though, even if they have picked up V's clothes as I assume that s/he will be naked?

All we need to watch for is the blurring ;)

I bet you a GP that if there is blurring, he blurs the entire elf.
Reckon it'll take place off camera though, just for kicks.

The_Meal
2005-05-04, 08:51 AM
I enjoyed the nod to the community with the gender joke, but I'm curious as to why V had the yellow circle under him for the first half of #177. It looks like a "selected character" circle of cRPG lore (think Baldur's Gate). I'm easily confuzzled...

~Neal

RBPRX1204
2005-05-04, 09:12 AM
Yeah, it would be hard to believe Haley would leave the robes of Wizardry and gold headband behind. There has to be some monetary value to those pieces. It will be interesting to see how Rich deals with V's return to Elf. Good comic today.

Kaerou
2005-05-04, 09:15 AM
hehehe.. see! what did i tell you... cute! :D!

Peldor
2005-05-04, 09:37 AM
LOL! Definitely one of the best comics yet. Too bad Elan doesn't have a Detect Gender spell.

And I've been playing too many computer RPGs, I thought the little circle under the lizard V was a highlight like in Neverwinter Nights. ;)

garand
2005-05-04, 09:53 AM
I enjoyed the nod to the community with the gender joke, but I'm curious as to why V had the yellow circle under him for the first half of #177. It looks like a "selected character" circle of cRPG lore (think Baldur's Gate). I'm easily confuzzled...

~Neal

That is very obviously V's Headband (of Intellect?). If you look at V in any other picture throughout the whole series you can see that s/he wears a gold headband. When transformed to a lizardy reptile this headband fell down with the rest of V's clothing.

bsmart
2005-05-04, 09:55 AM
That was without a doubt one of the funniest comics in the series.

And I was deffinately picking up a Stewie vibe in the last panel.

garand
2005-05-04, 09:56 AM
Oh .... and I think there is one word that best sums up Belkar's current connundrum regarding V's gender:

CLOACA!!!

Look it up. 8)

_blackswann_
2005-05-04, 10:03 AM
breaking 4th wall with gender debate, sweet!
Rich missed joke opportunity with belkar's failed knowledge(nature) check, though.

garand
2005-05-04, 10:23 AM
I don't think Belkar would have mentioned it at all because he 1) doesn't care about animals and 2) probably didn't invest any points in the skill at all.

ObadiahtheSlim
2005-05-04, 10:29 AM
I would think that Belkar didn't put main points into Knowledge(Nature) so he is gonna fail it. A handle animal check is just wrong.

*gah* the mental picture! I burns!

AtomicKitKat
2005-05-04, 10:29 AM
Oh .... and I think there is one word that best sums up Belkar's current connundrum regarding V's gender:

CLOACA!!!

Look it up. 8)

You're about 3 pages too late. ;)

The_Meal
2005-05-04, 10:35 AM
That is very obviously V's Headband (of Intellect?). If you look at V in any other picture throughout the whole series you can see that s/he wears a gold headband. When transformed to a lizardy reptile this headband fell down with the rest of V's clothing.

Rawk! That's a perfect fit and helps restore my sanity. Thanks for the explanation (and especially in so many single syllable words that even I can understand)!

~Neal

Brother_Hood
2005-05-04, 10:38 AM
Loved it. :D

V's going to be ticked when things get back to normal.

SirCrash
2005-05-04, 10:39 AM
One point - does this imply that the talking animal segment with the hooded figure and summoned weasel occured because the hooded figure is a druid or ranger?

Not to over think the comic (too late), but fact they can't hear V now seems to imply that hooded figure did something to be able to talk to the weasel.

-Richard

Andorax
2005-05-04, 10:52 AM

;D

A shame that Belkar forgot about this.

Ferret_Dragon
2005-05-04, 10:52 AM
Well... it would make sense, I mean: tracking? two-weapons? Speak with animals? Definately Ranger.

cyper
2005-05-04, 11:33 AM
A shame that Belkar forgot about this.

LOLOLOL !

Callista
2005-05-04, 12:01 PM
Indeed... but what do you expect, with such a low Wisdom score?

I wonder why V doesn't just scratch "It's me, you imbeciles" in the dirt with a claw?

chibibar
2005-05-04, 12:48 PM
Belkar did do death from above on the Chimera... so a hag shouldn't be a problem (he did have that +20 ring of jumping/leaping that gotta hurt)

I'm sure the hag also fail a fort save from being "crush" from above... things falling off a shelf only 3 feet above you can hurt like anything (a book, a toaster oven, a bust) from 20 feet? probably might kill ya.

plus the hex hag is only a random encounter (you can only have one.. yay!) so she might not come back (being random)

archon_huskie
2005-05-04, 12:52 PM
Loved it. :D

V's going to be ticked when things get back to normal.

Especially since it seems no one remembered to pick up her clothing.

Aerysil1
2005-05-04, 01:12 PM

his/her

And yes, I noticed that, too. This disturbs me greatly.

The_Shadow
2005-05-04, 02:14 PM
Great comic! One for the top 10, for certain!

Belkar's sure making a lot of Spot checks lately. Wonder if he's been putting some points into the skill.

garand
2005-05-04, 05:05 PM
You're about 3 pages too late. ;)

While indeed the (pun alert) ins and outs of sexing a reptile were indeed discussed previously. At no point did anyone indeed use Robin Williams' Favorite Word: Cloaca (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=cloaca). So, indeed .... with indeed all due respect ... bite me, indeed. ;)

Edited to remove an extra "Indeed" but i decided to add several others instead

Mortecareus
2005-05-04, 05:05 PM
It's nice to see Belkar's as curious as the rest of us!

bedbugsareyummy
2005-05-04, 05:32 PM
Ah, the rarely sighted Leggy Snake. Gotcha. :D

~Neal

Owoops.Blasted computer screen.

wolf_mage
2005-05-04, 07:47 PM
I knew I wasn't imagining that feeling of vague recognition...

I've been reading this comic and lurking here for some months now... and the day has yet to come when OOTS doesn't make me laugh out loud.

Two (current) favourite lines:
Roy: Your approval fills me with shame.

And, from today:
V as lizard: My vengeance shall be prolonged, diminutive cretin.

IonStorm
2005-05-04, 09:52 PM

I presume that Blackwing will take care of it. ;)

durandal
2005-05-04, 10:49 PM

hehe that is stewieish!!!

my fav from him was "DAMN YOU, VILE WOMAN!!!"
lolol

I would think that Belkar didn't put main points into Knowledge(Nature) so he is gonna fail it. A handle animal check is just wrong.

*gah* the mental picture! I burns!

lol.
just...
lol.

Sundog
2005-05-05, 12:14 AM
Oh, I definitely want to see what V does to Belkar for this one...

Sneak
2005-05-05, 07:28 AM
Maybe V will baleful polymorph Belkar into whatever V currently is...that would be fair treatment.

Janitor
2005-05-05, 07:34 AM
That was a great comic, I'm wondering what will happen once it's dispelled and V doesn't have his closthes on.

Bartok
2005-05-05, 05:31 PM
I suspect Durcon will cast the spell in privacy, and clerics don't share things they learn in confidence :-X

The_King_of_Durf
2005-05-05, 05:59 PM
What will V do to Belkar?
Ulp, Evan's Spiked Tentacles of Forced Intrusion time, poor little halfling

Nolgoth
2005-05-05, 06:01 PM
What I found funny about the strip is that V didn't realize that nobody could understand him until someone besides Elan mentioned it. He just assumed that Elan was daft. And yes I said him. I feel it could go either way but I think most of the posters who want V to be female is only so that they don't feel awkward about finding the wizard attractive. ;)

RawBearNYC
2005-05-05, 06:51 PM
I suspect Durcon will cast the spell in privacy, and clerics don't share things they learn in confidence :-X
Dispel Magic is not a touch spell, so, likely, Lizard-V will go behind a bush and Durkon will cast at the bush (and hope and pray the bush isn't enchanted).

retnuhytnuob
2005-05-06, 01:42 AM
Dispel Magic is not a touch spell, so, likely, Lizard-V will go behind a bush and Durkon will cast at the bush (and hope and pray the bush isn't enchanted).

Now that would be funny ^_^. While we're at it, Giant Kings! Making Roy's story in #139 true without the complication of Elan's entirely reasonable logic.

... or (possibly) better, the bush is the starmetal in disguise!

Not gonna happen, which is why I don't mind putting this here for some laughs from others.

chibibar
2005-05-06, 12:22 PM
What will V do to Belkar?
Ulp, Evan's Spiked Tentacles of Forced Intrusion time, poor little halfling

well.. is it late in the afternoon?? hehe.. Belkar is toast now... :(

Peldor
2005-05-06, 01:12 PM
Oh, I feel far worse fates than being handled by a halfling are likely to befall our little lizard wizard ere returning to elven form.

V may have completely forgotten about this little incident, or simply have bigger fish to fry.

JD
2005-05-06, 01:24 PM
Me not see updated Sticks! Waaaaaaaaaah! :'(

Where is it?

Brother_Hood
2005-05-06, 02:29 PM
I'm not seeing it either. Is it actually up?

RBPRX1204
2005-05-06, 02:37 PM
Nope, not yet. Just hang in there. The withdraw symtoms will get better, soon.

ContinualFrown
2005-05-06, 03:00 PM
Wow... The life of a Internet comic strip creator must be much more difficult than I imagined...

It seems to me that since quittting a day job and going to writing web comics "full-time", the reliability of seeing a comic has gone down dramatically...

Gaithwain
2005-05-06, 03:00 PM
Comic's not up...
Hands getting shaky...
World getting fuzzy...
Withdrawal not getting better...

;D

Mouser
2005-05-06, 03:09 PM
Mouser needs OOTS... badly.

Peldor
2005-05-06, 03:10 PM
Oh noes! Rich is ill again! The world is crashing down around me!

Oh wait. My OOTS book came in today! That should hold me til Monday. ;D ;D ;D

Best wishes to the sick drawer.

Aerysil1
2005-05-06, 03:11 PM
Get well soon, Giant!

*casts Cure Disease*

Does that work on a virus?

Gaithwain
2005-05-06, 03:11 PM
Ruh Roh, message up, Giant's sick.

He starts to puke, my recommendation... Run!!!

xolik
2005-05-06, 03:22 PM
I'm sure yesterday's festivities had nothing to do with this.

Rest, rest, rest, rest yourself in bed! ;)

ekedolphin
2005-05-06, 03:27 PM
Hope you're feeling better soon, Giant!

Mad_Max
2005-05-06, 03:32 PM
Get well soon Rich. :)

Nerd-o-rama
2005-05-06, 03:48 PM
I feel your pain, oh Giant. I've been studying for/taking exams all week with a massive sinus infection. That's a condition more encouraging of sleep than serious academia, or comic writing for that matter.

AtomicKitKat
2005-05-06, 04:41 PM
Fight, fight, fight, fight the evil bugs!
Give, give, give, give the Giant a hug!
Hope, hope, hope, hope you don't catch the bugs!
Drink, drink, drink, drink from many jugs(of water)!

Gobbo_in_the_Boots
2005-05-06, 05:31 PM
*casts cure moderate wounds on Rich*
*casts cure sickness on Rich*
*casts divine intervenation on Rich and gets 10 years older*
better now? :-[

Brother_Hood
2005-05-06, 05:41 PM
Should we make him bring in a doctors excuse? :D

Nah, we're patient.

Aidan305
2005-05-06, 05:51 PM
I thought he was the patient ;D

AtomicKitKat
2005-05-06, 06:05 PM
Ruh Roh, message up, Giant's sick.

He starts to puke, my recommendation... Run!!!

Heh,that line reminded me of that Gene Wilder movie "My Giant"

durandal
2005-05-07, 12:25 AM
Fight, fight, fight, fight the evil bugs!
Give, give, give, give the Giant a hug!
Hope, hope, hope, hope you don't catch the bugs!
Drink, drink, drink, drink from many jugs(of water)!

;D

get well soon, rich!

ekedolphin
2005-05-07, 12:33 AM
And actually, since I've already given my best wishes to Rich for a speedy recovery, I'd like to take a moment to applaud him for his continuing work on OOTS, which has to be one of the most consistently funny webcomics I've ever seen! Here's to ya, Rich! *drinks*...

Pvednes
2005-05-07, 08:09 AM
Ohnoes, where is the Giantess with soup this time?

Pax
2005-05-07, 10:10 AM
*casts divine intervenation on Rich and gets 10 years older*
*ding!* ... you have selected COLON TUMOR ...
Be careful with them Interventions; they've got a less than stellar history here in OOTS-land. :o hehehe.

evileeyore
2005-05-08, 02:39 PM
Rich get well soon...

Or else.

What? You figure out what it means.

mimicgogo
2005-05-08, 05:04 PM
Hope you feel better!

Sneak
2005-05-08, 07:35 PM
*ding!* ... you have selected COLON TUMOR ...
Be careful with them Interventions; they've got a less than stellar history here in OOTS-land. :o hehehe.

That would NOT be good. Anyway, get well soon Rich!

tiassawolf
2005-05-08, 10:01 PM
Allow me to add my wishes for a speedy recovery. Being sick is not fun.

Platinum_Mongoose
2005-05-08, 11:42 PM
Get well soon, for OotS is truly what makes my Mondays tolerable. ;)

nightsong
2005-05-09, 12:34 AM
and as many others have already said, i hope you get better. you're comics suck me in better than most books do (and that's saying a lot)! ;)

anyways, you can't leave V as a lizard!

Nikolai_II
2005-05-09, 02:14 AM
you're comics suck

I hereby show the danger in quoting out of context. 8)

(Seriously - I was shocked at the post and had to do a double take and read it again to see what it meant :P)

Sundog
2005-05-09, 03:53 AM
IIIIt's UP!

And Funny!

pumpkinetics
2005-05-09, 03:53 AM
New comic's up!

Shows how dysfunctional the group really is. Heh.

mimicgogo
2005-05-09, 04:02 AM
"A spell so inherintly without merit..."

Genius, topical, and oh so true.

radishlaw
2005-05-09, 04:06 AM
Great comic....
I wonder why Blackwing appears when Haley is talking
about it.... as if it's HER familiar ???

RebelRogue
2005-05-09, 04:17 AM
Great comic....
I wonder why Blackwing appears when Haley is talking
about it.... as if it's HER familiar ???

She named him after all ;D Anyone who's ever played (or DMed for) a spellcaster that continously forgot about his familiar and had other players reminds them of it has got to love these jokes :)

Pvednes
2005-05-09, 04:52 AM
Vaarsuvius makes an exceedingly cute lil leezard.

radishlaw
2005-05-09, 05:03 AM
Please forgive my newbie status.

Has the party made camp yet?

If they didn't, how come V can prepare spells?

And if they did, why don't Durkon dispel the polymorph with dispel magic or similar spells?

The Giant
2005-05-09, 05:11 AM
I thought about this, and my answer is: Vaarsuvius has obviously been resting on Durkon's head for eight or more hours since the last strip. Thus, as an arcane caster, he can prepare spells. As a divine caster, though, Durkon needs to wait for dawn to prepare spells, regardless of how much he rests, so they might as well keep on walking.

Gez
2005-05-09, 05:13 AM
V. isn't preparing spells, s/he's just pondering what spells to prepare.

Furthermore, as s/he can't do much in this shape, nothing prevented hiemr to just rest during the eight hours of travel and thus be fresh for preparing spells again.

Edit: While I was reading the page and writing a reply to Radishlaw, the Giant himself beat me to it...

Dr_Nno
2005-05-09, 05:41 AM
Thus, as an arcane caster, he can prepare spells.

"he" being here as the indefinite gender used in the english language, not an indication of the real gender of Vaarsuvius.
;D

GobalinKing
2005-05-09, 06:13 AM
"he" being here as the indefinite gender used in the english language, not an indication of the real gender of Vaarsuvius.
;D

If that's true, then why do the DnD books alternate randomly between "he" and "she" when using indefinite genders?

Frojoe21
2005-05-09, 06:23 AM
Its to make it less sexist. A lot of rulebooks use more female pretenses such as "she" or "her" to balance out the use of male ones back in the day. I dont understand why it is such a big deal, but if thats the way they have to do it now, I dont really care.

On a lighter note, great comic. Stupid ideas, just like my old party. We were infiltratiting a all female guild, and someone messed up the suggestion when we were trying to pass by. The exact message was : Its ok, he is an ally and let him go.

Paragon_Kobold
2005-05-09, 07:31 AM
Its to make it less sexist. A lot of rulebooks use more female pretenses such as "she" or "her" to balance out the use of male ones back in the day. I dont understand why it is such a big deal, but if thats the way they have to do it now, I dont really care.

I hate it when games do that. I makes the entire combat chapter look like a
description of violence to women. Just freaks me out.

Is 'Eaten by your own familiar' a really sad way for a wizard to go?

Sneak
2005-05-09, 07:38 AM
Great comic, but I thought wizards could like communicate telepathically with their familiars. Or something. And wouldn't it be able to tell that V is its master? With that said, great comic.

Nikolai_II
2005-05-09, 08:47 AM
Great comic, but I thought wizards could like communicate telepathically with their familiars. Or something. And wouldn't it be able to tell that V is its master? With that said, great comic.

As we have seen before Blackwiñjata has an agenda of its own - or at least an obnoxious personality.

http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=155

Probably comes from being forgotten in Limbo for months on end..;)

Kaerou
2005-05-09, 08:56 AM
squeeee.... so cute!

Gobbo_in_the_Boots
2005-05-09, 09:09 AM
yeah, great comic. Wohoo, I really want to see what V does when she is back in her old body... :)

Gez
2005-05-09, 09:14 AM

Likelihood, verisimilitude, and rule-lawyering, all are insignificant compared to the power of the Farce. :)

OotS is comedy. Of course, this wouldn't happen in a normal D&D party, especially given that V.'s player would control Blackwing as well as his master.

But it's fun. And Vaarsuvius needs to have his dignity taken down a few notches, so being hunted by his blackbird familiar (V. thinks it's a raven, but how many ranks has he in Knowledge [Nature] ? Yeah, that's why I thought, too.) is good.

Just like was good Elan's likening of elves to camels when V. raved about his "noble elven metabolism"...
http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=87

Sundog
2005-05-09, 09:24 AM
I'm enjoying the glimpse into Vaarsuvius' thought patterns. She is a bit less snobbish and a little more introspective than she's mostly been shown as before. In fact, I think that whole "Secrets that will drive you mad! MAD!" thing was just her covering for her own insecurity...

durandal
2005-05-09, 09:55 AM
great comic!
not only do wse get a cool V quote, but we get to make fun of useless spells! fun stuff.
EDIT: anyone else get the feeling that V is gonna cast suggestion on something big and lizardy?

ObadiahtheSlim
2005-05-09, 10:06 AM
You would think that V could stop the familiar from attacking her. Of course maybe she has misinterpreted her familiars intentions and Blackwing isn't actually trying to eat V.

Black_Sheep
2005-05-09, 10:58 AM
suck me

tehehehe

tiassawolf
2005-05-09, 11:07 AM
Gotta agree with V-man about Hold Portal. I don't think I've ever been in a campaign where it's been used.

xolik
2005-05-09, 11:16 AM
That would stink if he was eaten by his own familiar. But we all know that won't happen, right? :D

RBPRX1204
2005-05-09, 12:24 PM
Hehe, very good comic. Attacked by your own familiar is genius. I'd agree with the spell choices, too. I've never used any of those spells in my adventures, and I doubt I will, as long as I have a rogue around to seal doors for me.

Lilly
2005-05-09, 12:28 PM
Can you not turn V back into an elf? He's too cute as a lizard.

Janitor
2005-05-09, 12:33 PM
I love V as a lizard. I imagine there are still some lizard jokes that The Giant would like to use before dispelling magic.

Kaerou
2005-05-09, 12:49 PM
Can you not turn V back into an elf? He's too cute as a lizard.

Seconded! :D!

consul
2005-05-09, 01:13 PM

If V is still intelligent and a PC, wouldn't it resize to fit the new skull? Or is that only for humanoid shapes?

Nikolai_II
2005-05-09, 02:21 PM
If V is still intelligent and a PC, wouldn't it resize to fit the new skull? Or is that only for humanoid shapes?

Basically that is DM's call, but the guidline is that wondrous items reform for all of the types: Fey, Giant, Humanoid, Monstrous Humanoid, Most Outsiders and a rare few others, i.e. all with humanoid shapes. Without DM call (or special property) wondrous items will not reshape to non-humanoid forms.

For as long as it lasts there is a thread in the WotC forums dealing with that issue:
http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=407995

---------------------

@Janitor: Seeing as how there is a caster level check to dispel magic it might take several sessions if Durkon/V are unlucky.

IusPotentis
2005-05-09, 03:03 PM
I'm pitying V. now--all those bonus metamagic feats, and the poor wizard never bothered to get still spell.

Nikolai_II
2005-05-09, 03:05 PM
I'm pitying V. now--all those bonus metamagic feats, and the poor wizard never bothered to get still spell.

Hey - Item Crafting feats are good too, at least if you get the DM/fellow players to leave you with some time to work them.

Schattendrache
2005-05-09, 03:16 PM
I have a feeling, though, that being able to Craft a Wand wouldn't exactly fill V with feelings of warmth and security at the moment. :D

JD
2005-05-09, 03:51 PM
Well, at least it's V as a newt (and I don't care what anyone says!) and not Roy, Belkar, or Haley (how many jokes are there? C'mon? Although disarming a trap as a NEWT would be neat...)

SilveryCord
2005-05-09, 05:56 PM
For some reason I have a feeling that somehow V will manage to USE all 3 of those "useless" spells.... hehe. It makes sense. Blackwing picks up Varsuuvius, accidently drops her... that's feather fall... V will find a door, seal herself behind it, and then find a giant lizard creature that can speak common or something... well, or something like that.

AtomicKitKat
2005-05-09, 05:56 PM
If that's true, then why do the DnD books alternate randomly between "he" and "she" when using indefinite genders?

You think that's bad? Read the entire section on the Bladesinger PrC in Complete Warrior, look at the picture, then read the entire entry again. Yeah, I'm confused too.

Gez
2005-05-09, 06:43 PM
Maybe V.'s player took an Headband of Intellect that was racially restricted for just one race (elves), so as to get a 30% discount on it...

As for lizard jokes -- I hope to see a "Lizard on the Toast" reference. (For those who don't know, it was a card in the Guardians CCG, and that card was, itself, a reference to Wizards of the Coast.)

garand
2005-05-09, 06:59 PM
:-/ Okay ... I never said it WAS a Headband of Intellect ... I just mentioned that I thought it might be one. It could just be a stylish headband that Varsuvius likes to wear in order to show off his/er stylish fro.

Now, if it IS a wondrous item and this was one of my games then: No, it wouldn't resize to fit the owner. In my games Resizes is a property that must be imbued in an object just as much as an Enhancement Bonus or the ability to cast Magic Shield. Drove a party of fighters nuts when they found themselves a suit of +5 Magic Resisting Full Plate that was sized to fit a halfling. The only halfling in the party was a Dex Fiend whose AC would have been lowered if he had put the suit on.

They kept trying to sell it, but no one wanted to buy a suit of halfling-sized full plate so it ended up in their portable hole until one day: they each earned a favor from a powerful mage and one of the fighters thought to ask the mage if he could permanently Enlarge the suit. The mage did and they were finally able to get it adjusted to fit a human (though since the metal was now twice as thick I forced them to double its weight).

Anyhow, I had a point ... oh yeah ...

Señor Giant decided it wouldn't resize.

(And the lizard hasn't complained of any loss of intellect so I doubt it was a HB of Int anyhoo).

Nerd-o-rama
2005-05-09, 07:08 PM
They kept trying to sell it, but no one wanted to buy a suit of halfling-sized full plate so it ended up in their portable hole until one day: they each earned a favor from a powerful mage and one of the fighters thought to ask the mage if he could permanently Enlarge the suit. The mage did and they were finally able to get it adjusted to fit a human (though since the metal was now twice as thick I forced them to double its weight).
Well, that's convenient, since armor sized for Small creatures weighs half as mch as armor sized for Medium creatures anyway.

garand
2005-05-09, 07:12 PM
Double its Medium-Sized Weight.

nightsong
2005-05-09, 07:38 PM
I hereby show the danger in quoting out of context. 8)

(Seriously - I was shocked at the post and had to do a double take and read it again to see what it meant :P)

he was quoting ("your comics suck")

it seems a little late to reply to that... still, gimme a break, it's my first post :P

Nerd-o-rama
2005-05-09, 07:56 PM
Double its Medium-Sized Weight.
Yeah, after thinking about your post a while longer, I can see how you arrived at that, since Small armor has to have the same thickness as Medium armor, it's just smaller in every other dimesion.

Though if they'd been patient, they probably could have just asked him to add the Resizing property, unless that would have put the enchantment equivalent above +10.

durandal
2005-05-09, 08:32 PM
Yeah, after thinking about your post a while longer, I can see how you arrived at that, since Small armor has to have the same thickness as Medium armor, it's just smaller in every other dimesion.

Though if they'd been patient, they probably could have just asked him to add the Resizing property, unless that would have put the enchantment equivalent above +10.

but, but, but, thatd mean spending precious LOOT!

nevah!!!

Jevanyn
2005-05-10, 10:14 AM
As we have seen before Blackwiñjata has an agenda of its own - or at least an obnoxious personality.

http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=155

Probably comes from being forgotten in Limbo for months on end..;)

Maybe someone forgot to tell Blackwing that he doesn't get a surprise round. (V sure looks surprised when B starts chasing him.)

[hr]
All spacecraft travel at the speed of plot. -- J. Michael Straczynski

kerberos
2005-05-10, 12:13 PM
You think that's bad? Read the entire section on the Bladesinger PrC in Complete Warrior, look at the picture, then read the entire entry again. Yeah, I'm confused too.

OMG :o V is a bladesinger. ;D

garand
2005-05-10, 02:47 PM

I think that early on during hte developement of D20 D&D they (WotC) established certain example PCs, one for each class and usually of whatever race had that class as a prefered class. I don't remember any of their names (which appeared by their portraits in the class section of the PHB).

Throughout the books then, whenever an example was used or a description of a class was made they used the masculine or feminine pronoun according to whichever Example PC was involved.

ie. They would use "He" for descriptions of fighters because the Example Fighter PC was a male dwarf. They would use "She" for descriptions of monks because the Example Monk PC was a female, etc. etc.

Whamme
2005-05-11, 04:33 AM
:o

love the new comic.

V is going up in coolness, and I _love_ Belkar's lines.

pumpkinetics
2005-05-11, 04:40 AM
[taking cover while other members of househould explode with uncontrolled laughter][shameless l33t]ROFLMAOLOLOL!OMG OOTS IS TEH ROXXORZ!!!1!!11!!121one[/shameless l33t]

The Star Wars quote is precious.[/taking cover while other members of household explode with uncontrolled laughter]

Unien
2005-05-11, 05:00 AM
Oh man! It was like... woah!. And by that I just mean... WOAH!!!!

Priceless! Pure genious material! Man, what a laughter!
I'll have to re-read it later on just to laugh some more ;D

Sheesh, you are gonna kill me one of this days...

ekedolphin
2005-05-11, 05:16 AM
OOTS #179:

Hee! V's first-panel alliteration was funny... "fine fighter friend, you foul feathered fool". And WOW, Belkar's got some serious long-term memory problems, doesn't he? Waaay back when, he didn't remember he was supposed to be tracking the chimera, and now he can't remember how Roy lied to him to get him to go on the quest.

On the other hand, while it's easy to see why Roy would be frustrated by the conversation with Belkar, he should also be somewhat relieved, I would think. If Belkar can't remember that he lied to get him on the side quest, he has no reason to make him die a stabbity death afterwards.

The Emperor line by V was great, too. And curse you, Giant, for bringing the Star Wars quote when I still have to wait another week or two to see Episode III. ;)

Overall, great comic as always.

The Glyphstone
2005-05-11, 05:30 AM
(snicker)...great comic...

Sir_Banjo
2005-05-11, 06:01 AM
I'm sure that Belkar's just messing with Roy. The guy's sadistic enough to know that forcing Roy to admit he lied will work better than getting angry.

On the other hand though, he may just tear off Roy's head and wear it for a hat. I'm so doing that in one of my games... ;D

Pvednes
2005-05-11, 06:03 AM
Teehee, Belkar is cruel. :D

Gez
2005-05-11, 06:22 AM
"Sorry, Roy, I just don't trust you enough to believe that you lied." ;D

A classic in the making!

Belkar's indeed probably fooling around with Roy, remember #141 (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=141).

Drizzt_Fanboy_74
2005-05-11, 06:23 AM
LOL! The Star Wars quote was PERFECT! Absolutely perfect. This comic is great. Still, though, when will we see what Xykon has been up to?

Drandom
2005-05-11, 06:26 AM
Or, Belkar is just being Belkar

kerberos
2005-05-11, 07:17 AM
"Sorry, Roy, I just don't trust you enough to believe that you lied." ;D

A classic in the making!

Belkar's indeed probably fooling around with Roy, remember #141 (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=141).
Yeah, but notice how Belkar reveals the scam almosst instantly? I don't think Belkar could keep up a charade as long as he did, especially not when he's been cheated out of XP.

Arian
2005-05-11, 07:22 AM
A shame that Roy doesn't understand lizardy. V was just speaking for his own satisfaction - and ours, of course.

The_King_of_Durf
2005-05-11, 07:38 AM
Hehe, strike him down... there's another favorite line for me!

Sneak
2005-05-11, 07:39 AM
That was a good comic, but I expected more of a, "No, you're always honest, I don't believe that you lied" than a "I don't trust you enough to believe that you lied". Unless Belkar's just fooling around with him, which could be true.

Yeah, but notice how Belkar reveals the scam almosst instantly? I don't think Belkar could keep up a charade as long as he did, especially not when he's been cheated out of XP.
I don't think that's true, if he's doing it to
a) get someone killed
b) get someone mad, frustrated, sad, etc.
He will keep it up for as long as he thinks it's still funny. Which could be a pretty long time. But it will all be revealed....on....FRIDAY!

Gobbo_in_the_Boots
2005-05-11, 08:11 AM
Muahaha... that's a strong hint V is a woman. Women are closer to to the dark side of the Force :D

Ferret_Dragon
2005-05-11, 09:15 AM
Yer funny... How come all the Sith types were dudes then? ;)

kerberos
2005-05-11, 09:20 AM
I don't think that's true, if he's doing it to
a) get someone killed
b) get someone mad, frustrated, sad, etc.
He will keep it up for as long as he thinks it's still funny. Which could be a pretty long time. But it will all be revealed....on....FRIDAY!
The way I see it Belkar has the attention span of a retarded gnat. Also he has some serious anger management issues (bet you hadn't noticed that ;D). To restrain oneself from instantly going berserk, in favour of a slower more sophisticated revenge would require both patience and self-control. Personally I cannot think of any words less descriptive of Belkar than those.

Caelestion
2005-05-11, 09:26 AM
#139 (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=139) is the one with the lie about the loaded giants and Elan being insightful! :)
Just proves Roy is probably Lawful Good, with the way he 'fesses up to the lie.

Cael.

Grey Watcher
2005-05-11, 10:13 AM
That comic made me... dizzy. But I love the circuitous logic by which Belkar doesn't believe Roy. Brilliantly written. And by the way, I'm inclined to believe Belkar is telling the truth, both about his lack of memory and his reasons for distrusting Roy. Belkar just isn't smart or self-controlled enough to pull off (and sustain) this elaborate a hoax just to take revenge on Roy. Especially after his revelation (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=85) about his ability to inflict bodily harm upon Roy.

Lilly
2005-05-11, 10:20 AM
Note to self: Never read comic while brushing your teeth. Toothpaste in hard to remove from monitors.

I like Belkar's logic. It looks so fun.

And V is still cute as a lizard! But if striking Belkar down would bring Roy to a place by V's side, does that mean V is evil? Or Neutral? Or that it's just a funny quote? Or that Roy is about ready to use some sort of magical powers and end up with crispy Belkar toast?

Grey Watcher
2005-05-11, 10:40 AM
Note to self: Never read comic while brushing your teeth. Toothpaste in hard to remove from monitors.

I like Belkar's logic. It looks so fun.

And V is still cute as a lizard! But if striking Belkar down would bring Roy to a place by V's side, does that mean V is evil? Or Neutral? Or that it's just a funny quote? Or that Roy is about ready to use some sort of magical powers and end up with crispy Belkar toast?

I think it just means that, if V were a Ranger, his Favored Enemy would be Stupid People. ;D

Sundog
2005-05-11, 11:06 AM
Rolling on the floor laughing my a$$ off...

Rolling on the floor coughing my lungs out...

The combination of the quote and Roy's look of rage is just priceless...

ObadiahtheSlim
2005-05-11, 11:31 AM
Thats great stuff. Classic!

Belkar doesn't even remember the lie so we get that great gag. It reminds me of the Who's On First routine.

garand
2005-05-11, 11:48 AM
Actually ... it reminds me of a Marx Bros. routine. But i forget which one and what movie.

SumGuy
2005-05-11, 11:56 AM
The alliteration in the first panel is what did it for me.

Also, I think Belkar just forgot, we've seen this happen before...

http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=43

Qwernt
2005-05-11, 12:29 PM
For me, this was the best comic since Evan's Spiked Tentacles of Forced Intrusion (which still makes me laugh - even to just write it).

VERY WELL DONE!

As far as V being evil for the comment - I think V is just reiterating the desire for revenge against a peep-ing tom-hobbit.

The_Shadow
2005-05-11, 02:45 PM
How does these just keep getting better?! I haven't laughed this hard since "Arcanolypse Now".

Aerysil1
2005-05-11, 02:53 PM
I started laughing when there was a pause, and when I was expecting Belkar to act disappointed that there was nothing to kill, he instead said, "Come again?"

Belkar showed the same lack of attention when he was supposed to be tracking the chimara back to its source. He couldn't even remember he was a ranger with Tracking.

We'll see how the rest of the group reacts. Get ready to duck, Roy! Haley is the only one left to be concerned about, I think.

Janitor
2005-05-11, 03:19 PM
I loved the comic, and I too thought the alliteration is what won me over. V's line at the end was a classic as well.

Bill
2005-05-11, 04:04 PM
You know, I think that V may be stuck longer than they think. I'm not sure that Baleful Polymorph can be undone by a Dispel Magic since its duration is permanent.

"A dispelled spell ends as if its duration had expired."

Zod
2005-05-11, 04:58 PM
YES! Star Wars reference! This is even better than #6!

Mr._Blinky
2005-05-11, 05:15 PM
Hooray for Belkar's short attention span! And I loved the Star Wars joke. :D

Whamme
2005-05-11, 05:23 PM
You know, I think that V may be stuck longer than they think. I'm not sure that Baleful Polymorph can be undone by a Dispel Magic since its duration is permanent.

"A dispelled spell ends as if its duration had expired."

Uh... no. If it's duration was _instant_, then it would be undispellable. Duration = Permanent IS dispellable; this is why Wishing for higher stats is explicitly instant.

Anyway, I think this exchange is the natural byproduct of Belkar gettign a total of -1 on a Sense Motive check.

Or not.

Techonce
2005-05-11, 05:31 PM
Gee Belkar has ADD. Who would have guessed?