PDA

View Full Version : Proof there will be a good ending to the comic

Tal9922
2008-01-15, 02:59 PM
Everyone, i think i just found the ultimate proof the Snarl will most certainly NOT destroy this reality, and that OOTSverse is safe: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0326.html
Last panel, if there was no world, there would be no Goblin Dan.

Morty
2008-01-15, 03:04 PM
Of course, it could mean that Team Evil has won, and all PHB races got wiped out, leaving only former NPC races.:smallamused:

David Argall
2008-01-15, 03:09 PM
Another alternative is that Goblin Dan was so successful that he had opened a multi-world chain and the destruction of his home world hasn't hurt him much.

Zencao
2008-01-15, 03:15 PM
Or you know, the seer saying their will be a happy ending for elan.

Johnny Blade
2008-01-15, 03:22 PM
Also, I don't think Elan could have much of a happy ending if, well, he were to be undone by a thing that is going to destroy the world.
Unless he doesn't see it coming, of course, but I doubt that he won't be around to take part in the final battle.
He could also have a nice heroic death before, but probably wouldn't be happy about it, either.
EDIT: Damn, you just go to take out the trash in the middle of typing a reply, and all of a sudden you get ninja'd.:smallamused:

However, the thing that makes an unhappy ending totally implausible (to me) is the basic tone of OotS. Seriously, is there anyone who can picture this comic to end with, well, the end of the world?

Tyrmatt
2008-01-15, 03:25 PM
Not ending with, but certainly happening within the course of it. Don't forget V has to attain complete and total arcane power and while I don't know the right four words, I do know the three come after.

Deus Ex Machina!

Lord_Drayakir
2008-01-15, 03:28 PM
Do you really think that V, with Ultimate Arcane Power would be able to undo the Snarl? I mean not only has it been there since the beginning, but also, isn't Ultimate Arcane Power simply being a God of Magic, like say Boccob or Vecna?

Susil
2008-01-15, 03:35 PM
Not ending with, but certainly happening within the course of it. Don't forget V has to attain complete and total arcane power and while I don't know the right four words, I do know the three come after.

Deus Ex Machina!

Precede those three with "Gimme"... :smallamused:

Tal9922
2008-01-15, 03:39 PM
Do you really think that V, with Ultimate Arcane Power would be able to undo the Snarl? I mean not only has it been there since the beginning, but also, isn't Ultimate Arcane Power simply being a God of Magic, like say Boccob or Vecna?

Well, during Crayons of Time it was pointed out that the Snarl is especially powerful against gods, and actually a mortal with god-like powers (*cough*ultimatearcanepower*cough*) would have a better chance beating him than a god.

Lord_Drayakir
2008-01-15, 04:17 PM
Yeah, that was kinda my point. Wouldn't the possessing ultimate arcane power make you, by default, the one and true deity of magic?

Wrecan
2008-01-15, 04:17 PM
Precede those three with "Gimme"... :smallamused:

Or Maximized!

Green-Shirt Q
2008-01-15, 04:40 PM
I doubt that gobin Dan is proof.

Mainly because in many stories, gobins have very short lifespans. My favorite gobns are GogoGobins, who only live for a few mounths like seamonkeys.

For all we know this futre gobin Dan could justave been later that day:smallamused:

Nerd-o-rama
2008-01-15, 05:12 PM
I figured the proof was "this is a (clever pastiche of) a typical fantasy story". I mean, you can have tragic, apocalyptic endings to those, it's just very rare (especially among American authors), and wouldn't really follow from the generally upbeat tone of the story. Which has admittedly gone down recently, but only because we're at the end of the "Empire Strikes Back" part of the story, where the bad guys reach the height of their power.

Jimblee
2008-01-15, 05:45 PM
SoD Spoilers:

If the bad guys win, and Redcloak furthers the goblin cause to the point of equality, Dan'll still be around.

It seems more likely to me, actually, that he would be able to create a business like that in a world where goblins are equal to other races. Although, we didn't see anything but goblins eating there.

SlightlyEvil
2008-01-15, 07:50 PM
I could see a temporary villain triumph, but it would somehow be undone. I wouldn't be surprised if Goblins retained their elevated (i.e. equal to other humanoids) standing though.

krossbow
2008-01-15, 09:09 PM
Also, I don't think Elan could have much of a happy ending if, well, he were to be undone by a thing that is going to destroy the world.

I don't know; he could have a violent alignment switch (helm of opposite alignment!) and go chaotic evil, known to half the time try to destroy the world simply because its eeevil. After all, evil does run in his family :smalltongue:

mikeejimbo
2008-01-15, 09:36 PM
Wouldn't he be lawful evil then, though?

Admiral_Kelly
2008-01-15, 09:45 PM
Goblin Dan's was a one-time joke (OotS is a humor-oriented comic you know). This neither proves nor confirms anything. Burlew could be putting humor over continuity.

mikeejimbo
2008-01-15, 09:52 PM
Goblin Dan's was a one-time joke (OotS is a humor-oriented comic you know). This neither proves nor confirms anything. Burlew could be putting humor over continuity.

Very true. A sort of fan ret-con interpretation could even be that Goblin Dan was daydreaming that.

Lamech
2008-01-15, 10:01 PM
Seeing as how we get to see the afterlife a happy ending for Elan could be something like...
Xykon kills Haley and Elan in a meteor swarm, they go to their afterlife, and afterlive happily ever after. Then Xykon takes control of the Snarl and conquers the world destroying the rest of the OotS's souls in the process.
Just saying that something like this could happen.

Paragon Badger
2008-01-15, 11:24 PM
However, the thing that makes an unhappy ending totally implausible (to me) is the basic tone of OotS. Seriously, is there anyone who can picture this comic to end with, well, the end of the world?

I don't know... I can quite easily imagine a scenario like this...

Roy(or someone else): ELAN! You have to make a [skill] check or the snarl will be unleashed and the entire universe will be obliterated!
Elan: Okay, Roy!
Elan: ...I got a 1.
Roy: Son of a bi- BOOM!
Fade to white. :smalltongue:

Not really a happy ending, but it's consistent with the 'unlucky heroes' tone that I've seen so far. :smalltongue: Even their victories have been hollow. Xyklon would have never discovered and took control of the massive hobgoblin horde if the heroes hadn't displaced him from the wizard's dungeon in the first place. Even if you don't count that 'what if', they actually weakened the world's barrier against the Snarl (intentionally or not).

Not that it's likely happen, because of the seer's predictions for Elan. Then again, there are still many ways Elan could not be around and still have a happy ending, a la Daniel Jackson's enlightentment. Or sacrificing himself to save Haley, I'm sure he'd be content if she survived. :-P

...But who says we can trust the Kobold Seer, anyways? :smalltongue: (Not that I'm a total disbeliever of the 'always correct, but not always understood' prophet device, but it's something to think about.)

Schulzy
2008-01-16, 01:09 AM
If V gains his Ultimate Arcane Power, he could probably take on the snarl. Didn't Shojo say that the Gods were more vanurable to the Snarl than a same-level NPC?

Also, the image of any caster casting a maximized Dues Ex Machina tickles me in ways I can't describe. I *must* somehow make this a running joke...

Caster: I cast Maximized Dues Ex Machnia at the dragon.
DM: The dragon's mother enters the cavern and sends the red dragon to his room, and then leaves to do the grocery shopping.

Animefunkmaster
2008-01-16, 01:44 AM
V says:
"Please pass the doily (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0033.html)"

David Argall
2008-01-16, 02:12 AM
Didn't Shojo say that the Gods were more vanurable to the Snarl than a same-level NPC?

Shojo said "Some have theorized ..."

Tal9922
2008-01-16, 01:07 PM
Shojo said "Some have theorized ..."

In 98% of the work of fiction, the phrase "Wild theories claim"/"Some have theorized"/"Some historians believe"/ or any other variation is basically a 100% guarantee that the theory is, in fact, correct.

DreadSpoon
2008-01-16, 02:11 PM
I have even better proof.

A humor-based comic that ends with, "and so the Snarl destroyed the world and devoured the heroes' souls. The end," would suck more than a cheerleader on prom night.

Jimblee
2008-01-16, 02:14 PM
A humor-based comic that ends with, "and so the Snarl destroyed the world and devoured the heroes' souls. The end," would suck more than a cheerleader on prom night.

I would laugh

And if I was Rich, I'd do it. Just to take everyone completely off guard

Schala
2008-01-16, 02:20 PM
Goblin Dan's will be the Bennigan's/Applebee's/TGIFriday's of the OOTS world.

Tal9922
2008-01-16, 02:42 PM
Goblin Dan's will be the Bennigan's/Applebee's/TGIFriday's of the OOTS world.

The what what now?

Arakune
2008-01-16, 02:47 PM
Why not Extended Deus Ex Machina?

Bayar
2008-01-16, 02:52 PM
Actually, this things have already been discussed before, but forgot what the conclusion was. IMO, you are somewhat right...or it will be destroyed a day after the Goblin Dan panel...but the bottom line is that you were not the first one to notice it.

brilliantlight
2008-01-17, 10:53 PM
The tone to this comic makes me think that is very likely that the world will not be destroyed.

stabbybelkar
2008-01-26, 07:47 PM
SoD Spoilers:

If the bad guys win, and Redcloak furthers the goblin cause to the point of equality, Dan'll still be around.

It seems more likely to me, actually, that he would be able to create a business like that in a world where goblins are equal to other races. Although, we didn't see anything but goblins eating there.

not true, we saw a lizardman and a kobald

Ertier
2008-01-27, 03:42 PM
V's Four Words:
Summon Deus Ex Machina
Pass me that Doily
I am a [gender]
I wish for ultimatearcanepower (technically it is one word)

Qov
2008-02-12, 06:06 PM
V's Four Words:
I got a job.
I quit this game.
Where did Belkar go?

Newtkeeper
2008-02-12, 07:08 PM
I got a job.
I quit this game.
Where did Belkar go?

I continue to hold out for "Oh no, not again".

Although:

"I got a 20" would work too.

"Gate in a titan", if V is into cheese.

But for real, ultimate power:

"I go Pun-Pun". The four right words- and there is *no* right reason to say those!

Souju
2008-02-12, 07:12 PM
V's Four Words:
Summon Deus Ex Machina
Pass me that Doily
I am a [gender]
I wish for ultimatearcanepower (technically it is one word)

the right four words
think about it

Deathtouched
2008-02-12, 07:17 PM
Point of fact: no one can really use "Elan's happy ending" as a way to justify the world being saved for 2 reasons:
1. "Happy Ending" is a cliched term that can describe almost anything as long as it ends -happy-:smallbiggrin:
2. Think of it in two parts Elan will have a (happy)-(ending). Happy means that there can't have been some life-altering tragedy(like losing Haley). But Ending, well, maybe it means Elan's ending, as in end, as in the final point, as in Elan's gonna die:smallsmile: . Maybe he'll die with Haley, which would make him happy, or, better yet, he won't even know he's just been -torn apart- until he's already dead, so he wouldn't get to feel sad about it.

I understand that this may be a little over the top, but I can't get past the Oracle's riddles and hatred of the visitors. Maybe he specifically said "ending" instead of "end" or "death" because he knew they would misinterpret it?:smallamused:

Oh, wait, maybe he'll die saving Haley! Her being safe would automatically make his death a happy one, and lots of stories end with a hero giving his life to save someone else!

Raging_Pacifist
2008-02-12, 07:22 PM
The what what now?

Bennigans, Applebees, and TGI Fridays are all popular American restaurant chains.

Raging_Pacifist
2008-02-12, 07:24 PM
The what what now?

Bennigans, Applebees, and TGI Fridays are all popular American restaurant chains.

Kami2awa
2008-02-13, 03:52 AM
SoD Spoilers:

Who else would eat Hydra heads?

shuz
2008-02-13, 07:02 AM
Should I get the Hydra head with BBQ sauce or mayo?

jeffreyac
2008-02-13, 09:06 AM
Should I get the Hydra head with BBQ sauce or mayo?

gotta go with the BBQ - tangy flavor compliments the natural spices; the mayo is just too mild to do it justice!

Personally, I recommend Buffalo Hydra, with a little ranch dressing (always preferred that to Blue Cheese...) and celery.