PDA

View Full Version : A moral dilemma...such as it is

Arioch
2008-01-15, 04:37 PM
I'm currently nearing the end of my mid-year exam period. tomorrow, my timetable is empty! Except...they've scheduled games on that day. PE.

I live over an hour away from my school. I have no exams on that day. The hardest exam of the entire period, German oral, is the day after - I could spend a good deal of that time revising. All in all, it seems like a very silly way to spend four or more hours of time.

On the other hand, the PE lesson is the first one for four weeks. It is supposed to be compulsory (though I know many people who aren't going to bother). I don't like going against a teacher's command. My father, who thinks I should stay home and revise, has offered to phone in saying I am sick or "overtired" after two weeks of exams and hard revsion. Neither of these things is particularly true, and lying like this makes me feel very ill at ease.

Should I go?

Brickwall
2008-01-15, 04:43 PM
Yes, probably. It's not like you can't spend SOME time studying, even after PE. This isn't exactly a "moral" dilemma, really, more one of time management.

Ichneumon
2008-01-15, 04:59 PM
You should go to PE. You should have enough time to do your German exam. You shouldn't have to lie to get a good mark.

thubby
2008-01-15, 05:06 PM
you probably will have enough time to study after PE, but assuming you don't, be honest. study, then next time tell the PE teacher "sorry i didn't show up, i had to stay home and study for exams" and take it from there. being honest will earn you a great deal of respect, will spare you the negative emotions of lying, and any reasonable human being will understand.

valadil
2008-01-15, 05:07 PM
You could always ask the PE teacher for permission to ditch.

Telonius
2008-01-15, 05:07 PM
One hour away = one hour studying in the car/bus/etc. Speak only in German while you're in PE. Sometimes it intimidates your opponents. :smallbiggrin:

FoE
2008-01-15, 05:08 PM
You see, I wouldn't have a problem lying about this. If I was faced with a really tough test and needed extra time to study, I would skip the useless PE class. Hell, if your dad is OK with it, why should YOU be bothered?

thubby
2008-01-15, 05:15 PM
You see, I wouldn't have a problem lying about this. If I was faced with a really tough test and needed extra time to study, I would skip the useless PE class. Hell, if your dad is OK with it, why should YOU be bothered?

because there are people who wouldn't be bothered by 1st degree murder. (other people make lousy moral gauges)

Vuzzmop
2008-01-15, 05:17 PM
Me, FOE and the other lords of evil/madness agree on this one. Why bother with PE? Mind you, I don't have a particularly north-facing moral compass when it comes to deception. Eh, it comes with the territory.:smalltongue:

North
2008-01-15, 05:24 PM
I liked P.E. Its a good way to goof off but if its your only class and you need to study, yeah Id skip it.

Dihan
2008-01-15, 05:28 PM
I have 3 hours of exams tomorrow, then PE right after. No way am I going to it... Not that I went to it before :smalltongue:

Winter_Wolf
2008-01-15, 06:12 PM
If you like PE, I'd go. If you feel like you REALLY need the extra time to study for German, I'd not go. But I'd make sure that the PE teacher knew that was why you were not going. If you don't REALLY need the time to study, then go to PE. It's good for you, even if it is "useless". Remember, a lot of "useless" activities can be pretty fun.

On the other hand, you may find that doing the PE will help your concentration when you do get around to studying. Some people (like me for example) find that exercise actually makes studying easier. I don't know why, I just know that it works (for me).

Semidi
2008-01-15, 06:24 PM
I'm currently nearing the end of my mid-year exam period. tomorrow, my timetable is empty! Except...they've scheduled games on that day. PE.

I live over an hour away from my school. I have no exams on that day. The hardest exam of the entire period, German oral, is the day after - I could spend a good deal of that time revising. All in all, it seems like a very silly way to spend four or more hours of time.

On the other hand, the PE lesson is the first one for four weeks. It is supposed to be compulsory (though I know many people who aren't going to bother). I don't like going against a teacher's command. My father, who thinks I should stay home and revise, has offered to phone in saying I am sick or "overtired" after two weeks of exams and hard revsion. Neither of these things is particularly true, and lying like this makes me feel very ill at ease.

Should I go?

I wouldn't lie. I just wouldn't go into school.

Look, if you view real school as more important than P.E. then you should study. Calling in and lying, I would think, would be morally wrong. However, if you do get in trouble, explain your reasoning and take responsibility for your actions. At the worst, you’ll get detention, which is fully justifiable given that you probably should have studied beforehand (given that you knew about the day well in advanced).

FoE
2008-01-15, 06:27 PM
But you might receive some sort of punishment if you tell the phys-ed teacher that you skipped his class. Why suffer needlessly? If your parents are OK with your lie, then what does it matter?

Look, in the scheme of things, a lie like this is fairly insignificant. On the other hand, bad grades have a way of staying with you. Weighing doing well on a test against playing dodgeball for a few hours, I'd pick the first option.

Illiterate Scribe
2008-01-15, 06:32 PM
But you might receive some sort of punishment if you tell the phys-ed teacher that you skipped his class. Why suffer needlessly? If your parents are OK with your lie, then what does it matter?

Look, in the scheme of things, a lie like this is fairly insignificant. On the other hand, bad grades have a way of staying with you. Weighing doing well on a test against playing dodgeball for a few hours, I'd pick the first option.

The voice of utilitarianism compels you ...

Hagentai
2008-01-15, 06:39 PM
I know what I would do but ultimately I would never even really come up with

"This is wrong?"

How ever you do. This is something you have to answer for yourself. Do you feel God will be upet with you if you cut this corner or is this a personal matter of honor?

If it conflicts with your religious beleif, I'll put it two you like this, I retook spanish 101 4 FN times Till i got through it (with a different teacher).

By that fourth time I would have sacraficed 12 babies to get past that class (ironically enough i got by 102 on the first try, and no I never killed anyone to do it lol).

How much do you love God vs retaking this class?

If it's personal honor, which do you love more, your self or your grades?

If it's what makes you comfortable.. Do you really think you'll feel better if you have to retake this course?

Leper_Kahn
2008-01-15, 07:03 PM
No, don't go.

It's not worth it.

thubby
2008-01-15, 09:29 PM

thats not exactly hard to see through. how many people do you think pull that in a week?
give your teachers some credit, they know a lot more than you think.

Copacetic
2008-01-15, 09:34 PM
Stay home. One class for one day < An Exam. Get some good study time.

Last_resort_33
2008-01-16, 04:49 AM
It's the traveling time which really clinches it. If I were you, I would do some work for German, go for a 3-5 mile run (depending on your fitness), then relax, do some more revision and then let your dad tell the school whatever he wants.

Archonic Energy
2008-01-16, 06:06 AM
Should I go?

No.
what i answered the question i just needed to type something to let me post it

Felixaar
2008-01-16, 06:34 AM
My Advice man, is this. Call the PE teacher and tell them you have the important exam tommorow and could really use the extra time to study. Tell them you're sorry, but it'd just be a big help to you if you could miss the class that day. Chances are, if they're a reasonable person, they'll say "Sure, (name here), I understand." If they're a bit stringent on the coming in thing, they'll say "Sorry, but its compulsory. You'll have to come in." It might not be the best way to do it but atleast you'll know you didnt lie, mate.

I have problems with lieing to people too. I suppose its not really a problem if you dont want to lie, but the point is that in the end, YOU know what's right. You just have to find the courage to do it.

And just for the matter, do you LIKE PE? cause I hated it :smallannoyed: