PDA

View Full Version : Save or Suck monk! (Help!)

Bandededed
2008-01-15, 04:41 PM
I've been working on a remake of monk that would be save or suck against his enemies (hence, the name). However, though I managed to work out which PHB monk abilities fit right and which needed altering and which needed to be gone completely, I am having trouble deciding how to scale or introduce his save or suck powers.

I'm thinking that there would be 3 tiers of attacks, with progressively harder saves, and perhaps more debilitating effects. The first level I have already, with stunning fist(Fort), in PHB; nerve strike(Ref, and maybe precision), Strikes a nerve center, causing Sickness; and Disorienting strike(Will), which causes confusion. Each of these would take one stunning fist use per day.

For the second tier, they should cost 3 each, and be worth it. Same with the third, but they cost 5 each.

This is my plea: Help me! My creativeness for the time being has been utterly sapped!

I'm also open to different ways of doing the attacks, if anyone has an idea different than mine.

Thanks in advance!

Eighth_Seraph
2008-01-15, 05:35 PM
I don't mean to offend, but a pattern that I've recently noticed is that the forum as a whole can only support one monk remake at a time. I actually waited for the last one to die down before posting mine, which is currently active. The Avatar project has some feats based on striking nerve centers that might interest you. Let me see if I can find a link...

Actually, I'll do you one better. Here's all the feats that apply to general campaign settings, as written up by the amazing Mephibosheth.
CHI DISRUPTION
Your accurate strikes block the flow of chi with a person’s body, hampering their movement.
Prerequisites: Improved Unarmed Strike, Stunning Fist, BAB +8, Wis 13+
Benefit: At the cost of a Stunning Fist attempt, you may make a precisely-placed strike at a weak point in your opponent’s body, blocking the flow of her chi and making even simple movements difficult. If you hit with an unarmed strike, the target must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + half your character level + your Wisdom modifier) or take a -2 penalty to Dexterity or Strength (your choice). If you miss with your unarmed strike or the target successfully saves, you still count as having expended the Stunning Fist. Unlike the Stunning Fist feat, you can use this feat multiple times in a single round and multiple uses on the same target are cumulative. This feat can never reduce a creature’s Dexterity score below 1. You can only use this feat against foes of the Humanoid type.

IMPROVED CHI DISRUPTION
With a flurry of precise blows, you are able to render a foe unconscious or immobile.
Prerequisites: Improved Unarmed Strike, Stunning Fist, Chi Disruption, BAB +13, Wis 13+
Benefit: Your Chi Disruption attempts deal ability damage instead of imposing ability penalties. This means that you can reduce an opponent’s abilities to 0 using this feat. In addition, the DC to resist your Chi Disruption attempts increases by 2. Finally, if you reduce an opponent's ability score to 0 using this feat, the opponent must make a Will save or fall unconscious. You can only use this feat against foes of the Humanoid type.

CHI IMMOBILIZATION
You know the exact pressure points that cut off the flow of Chi to a foe’s extremities.
Prerequisites: Improved Unarmed Strike, Stunning Fist, Chi Disruption
Benefit: At the cost of two Stunning Fist attempts, you can attempt to limit or cut off a foe’s use of her limbs. As a standard action, you make a single melee attack. If your attack hits, your opponent must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + half you character level + your Wisdom modifier) or lose the use of a single limb. Losing the use of an arm (or equivalent limb) gives the creature a -4 penalty to attack rolls and prevents the use of Two-Weapon Fighting and two-handed weapons. Losing the use of both arms increases the penalty on attack rolls to -8 and prevents the use of any weapons (though the creature can still make unarmed strikes using his/her legs or head). Losing the use of a leg gives the creature a -4 penalty to AC and halves the creatures base speed. Losing both legs renders the creature prone, eliminates any bonuses to AC other than Armor, Natural Armor, and Deflection bonuses, and limits the creature to 5 feet of movement per round. You can only use this feat against foes of the Humanoid type.

paigeoliver
2008-01-16, 02:51 AM
Don't call it a monk remake, call it by a new class name, and don't make the class name anything that isn't in english, and don't, don't, don't name it anything after an anime. For every person that sees homebrew related to anime and goes "oh kewl" three more go "more anime crap, BARF" and don't even read it. Some of it might even contain good ideas but having to stumble over all the Japanese is more work than it is worth, particularly when it isn't needed at all. Particularly when you can't legally make an RPG from your favorite Anime, name it after the Anime, reference the Anime and then distribute it. Plus, there are literally like 200 different guys making their own different Naruto D20 games, and theirs are probably just as bad as yours.

Sorry, I got sidetracked there.

In general a class based ability will have a best possible savings throw of 10 +half class level + ability modifier (not counting feats to bump the save DC). Countless class abilities follow that rule, monsters follow that rule for the most part, and even spellcasters basically follow a modified version of that rule.

This nixs your progressively harder saves because stunning fist already follows the maximum save DC rule, which requires a feat to improve from there.

Also a good thing to remember when trying to write custom martial arts related material for D&D is to remember to reality that most D&D combats go about 3 rounds. That means multi-round "Combo" attacks are right out the windows, as are other similar ideas.

Also, you already have confusion on the first tier (first level, right), which is a 4th level spell, how much more do you want to add on to an attack that is already going to be hitting for full damage?

Roderick_BR
2008-01-16, 03:13 PM
I guess you want a debuffer/battlefield controler monk.
Hmm.. there's a feat called Freezing the Bloodline that allows you to paralyze the target instead of just stunning it. I think it's from Oriental Adventures.
If you can, try to grab the Tome of Battle. It has lots of cool ideas that you could try to turn into feats.