PDA

View Full Version : Byakugan! [feat set]

Admiral Squish
2008-01-15, 05:32 PM
Byakugan
Your innate combat instincts allow you perceive all your foes.
Benefit: 1/encounter, you gain blindsight out to thirty feet for one round/3 character levels. The length increases by one round for every other feat with Byakugan as a prerequisite. Attack rolls against targets seen within this range gain a +2 competence bonus for the duration. You cannot activate this ability while flat-footed, and while it is active you cannot be flanked. This ability can only be used when wearing light or no armor.

Hakke Rokojuu Yonsho:
Your Byakugan perception allows you to make a deadly combo attack.
Prerequisites: Byakugan, Improved Unarmed Strike, BAB +8
Benefit: While Byakugan is active and unarmed, you may forgo your +2 to attack gained from Byakugan to launch an attack. You provoke an attack of opportunity when starting this attack. As a full-round action, you make a single attack that always deals two damage. When this is over, your opponent can make a reflex save equal to 10+your level. If the opponent fails this save, you may make another attack in the same round that deals another two points of damage. You may repeat this pattern up to six times, increasing the damage dealt each time. The first two attacks deal two damage apiece but for each attack after that, the damage doubles until it becomes thirty-two at the final iteration, and increasing the reflex save to escape by two for each attack after the first. If your target dies, and there is another target in reach, you may move the next attack to that target, though the second target get a +5 bonus to their reflex save for this attack. You still have to succeed each attack roll, and damage reduction still applies. If you have less than 10 HD, you become exhausted after using this ability. If you have less than 12 HD, you become fatigued. This attack cannot be used against creatures with no discernible anatomy, or that are immune to damage from sneak attacks and critical hits. This ability can only be used when wearing light or no armor.

Hakessou Kaiten:
Your byakugan allows you to defend yourself against incoming attacks.
Prerequisites: Byakugan, Improved Unarmed Strike, BAB +4
Benefit: You may deflect incoming missiles as the Deflect Arrows feat would allow, an infinite number of times for as long as your Byakugan is active. If you have less than eight HD, you are fatigued after using this ability. This ability can only be used when wearing light or no armor.

Gentle Fist:
You can make special attacks with your fists.
Prerequisite: Byakugan, Improved unarmed strike, BAB +6
Benefit: While Byakugan is active, your unarmed strike is treated as having the brilliant energy weapon effect. This ability can only be used when wearing light or no armor.

Shugohakke Rokojuu Yonsho:
You can use your body's energy to deflect attacks more efficiently
Prerequisite: Byakugan, Hakessou Kaiten, BAB +8
Benefit: You can take a full defense action while Byakugan is active, and gain a +15 competence bonus to AC. If you have less that 10 HD, you are exhausted after using this ability. If you have less than 12 HD, you are fatigued. This ability can only be used when wearing light or no armor.

---------------------------------
Anyone familiar with Naruto knows these powers. I actually started making these an hour ago, when I saw a Neji AMV on youtube. I found all the names in AMVs, too, and found three or four favorite-worthy songs in the process, so I can't complain. Tell me what you think! Did I nerf too hard? Are the mechanics fair? Do they build together nicely?

Thinking on it, I've decided Neji is a 15th level monk, and hinata is a level 11 monk, with four levels in adorable.:smallbiggrin:

I'm such a nerd, I've tesseracted my nerdiness, folding it back on itself through time and space until I fit all things within the breadth of my nerd-dom.

Admiral Squish
2008-01-16, 10:44 AM
New personal best for my views/response ratio! 55 views, not a single comment! Whoo! [/sarcasm]

Blackadder
2008-01-16, 12:24 PM
New personal best for my views/response ratio! 55 views, not a single comment! Whoo! [/sarcasm]

Everyone loves the view to comment ratio!
Ahoy-hoo, just to make sure I'm reading this right 1/1d4 hours means the Byakugan can be active for one to four hours? Or it's usable for one round+feats every one to four hours?

The no flanking also means no sneak attacks if I remember correctly?

Admiral Squish
2008-01-16, 01:08 PM
Everyone loves the view to comment ratio!
Ahoy-hoo, just to make sure I'm reading this right 1/1d4 hours means the Byakugan can be active for one to four hours? Or it's usable for one round+feats every one to four hours?

The no flanking also means no sneak attacks if I remember correctly?

One round, plus 1/3 HD and feats, every one to four hours.

Yes, that means no sneak attacks, but you have to activate it, so you won't be getting out of the surprise round.

SilentNight
2008-01-16, 11:40 PM
the prerequisites seem a little easy to me. At around 11th level you could have a monk with a high AC doing massive damage via Hakke Rokujuu Yonshu. That same ability seems like it can be stopped to easily. I would make the prereqs higher and make it harder to avoid. The 1/1d4 hours limits it to basically once per encounter but something just seems off to me. Call it a gut feeling.

Admiral Squish
2008-01-16, 11:57 PM
the prerequisites seem a little easy to me. At around 11th level you could have a monk with a high AC doing massive damage via Hakke Rokujuu Yonshu. That same ability seems like it can be stopped to easily. I would make the prereqs higher and make it harder to avoid. The 1/1d4 hours limits it to basically once per encounter but something just seems off to me. Call it a gut feeling.

I based the usage on a dragonborn's breath weapon. I decided to make it by hours, so you can't just use it over and over in the middle of charging the BBEG's stronghold unless you have a too-lenient DM.

I'll move the BAB up another couple of progressions, and maybe add some feat to the prereqs.

Admiral Squish
2008-01-18, 12:16 AM
changed the save to stop the rain of blows to a reflex save, though I can't decide what it should be based on: Level, BAB, Dex, Str, or just a fixed number? some combination of the above? Help me out, folk.

Also, view/post ratio beaten! 50/0? now it's 205/2! Yay me!

Blackadder
2008-01-18, 12:41 AM
It needs to be either increasing or decreasing. IE either you dodge the combo in the first two or three hits and then are totally screwed, or you get a greater chance to end the combo as it goes on.

Fluff wise, I think it should be increasing, as in the DC should be 10+Monk level or whatever class qualifies for the Byakugan+damage dealt.

So the DC could be a reasonable DC 20, after the first hit, a harder DC-22, after the second hit DC-26, third hit, DC-32 and then your pretty much screwed for the last three hits unless you roll a natural twenty.

*Edit, To make it less deviating you could add in you must be flanking the target or flat-footed in order for you to start the combo.

Admiral Squish
2008-01-18, 01:13 AM
It needs to be either increasing or decreasing. IE either you dodge the combo in the first two or three hits and then are totally screwed, or you get a greater chance to end the combo as it goes on.

Fluff wise, I think it should be increasing, as in the DC should be 10+Monk level or whatever class qualifies for the Byakugan+damage dealt.

So the DC could be a reasonable DC 20, after the first hit, a harder DC-22, after the second hit DC-26, third hit, DC-32 and then your pretty much screwed for the last three hits unless you roll a natural twenty.

*Edit, To make it less deviating you could add in you must be flanking the target or flat-footed in order for you to start the combo.

I fixed the reflex save, and I made it provoke an attack of opportunity to start the attack, how's that?

Blackadder
2008-01-18, 01:25 AM
Per monk stats it would mean you could pick it up at a minimum of 11th level(DC21) and it could do a total of 126 damage if everything hits with the DC of the final hit at DC-27?

Yeah it's nasty. You could go either way, requiring that it be a sneak account in order to trigger, or giving the enemy an attack of opportunity before attacking.

Fluff wise flanking or flatfooted makes sense. Game play wise the opp attack works better.

Rigon
2008-01-18, 03:41 AM
first impression:

that should be "Hakke Rokujuuyon Shou" where rokujuuyon means 64 and shou means wound (meaning divination of 64 wounds).
and the damage should go 2, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32 so the total becomes 64.
as it is based on the byakugan which would normally uses chakra... i say it would need a uses/day (or uses/encounter) restriction.

raichi
2008-01-18, 10:16 AM
i would say uses per encounter, considering the activation of the byuakugan is fairly simple you should be able to do it pretty often, especially considering that the entire feat tree is based on your ability to be able to activate the byuakugan, it's sort of a waste if your stuck there unable to activate only a few times per day with the sort of small time that you can have it activated for, but done right something like this could actually make monks, actually not suck eggs, hats off to you sir.

Admiral Squish
2008-01-18, 11:47 PM
Okay, I fixed the damage as Rigon suggested, and the uses went up to Raichi's suggestion.

On attack of opportunity, I made it that because he always has to get into that one pose before he just hauls off on a sucker.

whateverness
2008-02-26, 01:53 PM
Not to be a spoil sport or anything, but my personal opinion is that you can't mix and match Naruto characters with Dungeons and Dragons rules. The raw power that is displayed by certain Naruto characters, most notably Naruto and Sasuke, is only equal to that of epic level characters. You could easily imagine Naruto and Sasuke killing any regular dnd character under 10th lvl in the blink of an eye...Naruto would summon 200 shadow clones, and Sasuke would fry the bejeezers out of him. Again, this is only my opinion, but i think there would have to be a separate campaign setting with its own set of classes to even compare with the levels of power you would be dealing with...I hope to add this to the homebrew section soon...Anyway, my point is, for the "minor" characters, such as neji and hinata (no offense), new feats are fine, but i think you would need a more drastic change for the "major" characters. Again, sorry for stirring the flames a little.
Yay my second post! :smallsmile:

*Edit* I just discovered a forum topic exactly like my post that led to a website exclusively for Naruto d20 rules...approximately 2 minutes after this post...oh well. Nice feat for regular play though.

Admiral Squish
2008-02-26, 11:21 PM
Not to be a spoil sport or anything, but my personal opinion is that you can't mix and match Naruto characters with Dungeons and Dragons rules. The raw power that is displayed by certain Naruto characters, most notably Naruto and Sasuke, is only equal to that of epic level characters. You could easily imagine Naruto and Sasuke killing any regular dnd character under 10th lvl in the blink of an eye...Naruto would summon 200 shadow clones, and Sasuke would fry the bejeezers out of him. Again, this is only my opinion, but i think there would have to be a separate campaign setting with its own set of classes to even compare with the levels of power you would be dealing with...I hope to add this to the homebrew section soon...Anyway, my point is, for the "minor" characters, such as neji and hinata (no offense), new feats are fine, but i think you would need a more drastic change for the "major" characters. Again, sorry for stirring the flames a little.
Yay my second post! :smallsmile:

*Edit* I just discovered a forum topic exactly like my post that led to a website exclusively for Naruto d20 rules...approximately 2 minutes after this post...oh well. Nice feat for regular play though.

I'm not trying to duplicate naruto characters in D&D. That would just be ridiculous. I tried it once, and it wasn't pretty. I just saw some interesting powers in the show, and thought 'hey, those would be pretty cool for a monk to have', and decided to make them.

Rogue 7
2008-02-26, 11:28 PM
Googling "Naruto d20" should yield a pleasant surprise for you- there's a massive set modding the d20 modern rules. I've got it here, it's massive- 800+ pages, most of them listing jutsu.

ZeroNumerous
2008-02-26, 11:34 PM
There are even several Naruto d20 PbPs running on the boards at the moment.

Paragon Badger
2008-02-26, 11:42 PM
Googling "Naruto d20" should yield a pleasant surprise for you- there's a massive set modding the d20 modern rules. I've got it here, it's massive- 800+ pages, most of them listing jutsu.

But, just like the series... for every thing you like about it, you'll find one or more things that annoy you to no ends. :smalltongue: