PDA

View Full Version : Classes for Time Travellers

Zeal
2008-01-15, 10:34 PM
If my players are reading this (which I doubt) then I have one thing to say to them; get out! This will likely not deter them in the slightest, so I mind as well continue.

Due to some time related shenanigans, my players have a bundle of enemies that can travel through time. What classes, base or prestige, homebrew or courtesy of the WoTC, would be good to represent this?

Yakk
2008-01-15, 10:50 PM
First, how does time travel work?

What is the arc of technology/magic in your world: Do you have a "science fiction" future in your world? Or is it more of a mythic world where the world began relatively recently, and will end relatively recently?

Zeal
2008-01-15, 10:58 PM
A very mythic type world, and I'm mostly just looking for classes with some connection with time.

As for the actual workings, I'm lookings for mostly Supernatural abilities along the lines of a Temporal Filcher (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/temporalFilcher.htm) but any spells or such would be usefull.

Dragonmuncher
2008-01-15, 11:18 PM
Hm, anything with Knowledge skills or a bardic lore-type skill might be good- you're 1000 years in the future, it's helpful to have a general idea of what's going on and what's "supposed" to happen next.

Likewise, Disguise and Gather Information skills could be helpful.

Arbitrarity
2008-01-15, 11:32 PM
This (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62071) is the most directly linked thing I can find, but otherwise? Dunno. I did a bit of proofreading, and all the worst cheese is ironed out, but try not to break it too much. Also, this is a support class, and needs something of a standard party to work with, with the Synchronization and all.

Nebo_
2008-01-16, 12:27 AM
There's a monk PrC in Complete Psoinic that is time themed. I can remember the name, but not the spelling. I'll save myself the embarrassment.

Yakk
2008-01-16, 05:39 PM
Do you use psionics? If not, you could reflavor much of it as "temporal magic". Just pick and choose and tweak as needed.

It gives you a number of "mirror-type" classes (healer, caster, fighter, rogue) that use different mechanics than the core ones...

Zeal
2008-01-16, 07:07 PM
Do you use psionics? If not, you could reflavor much of it as "temporal magic". Just pick and choose and tweak as needed.

It gives you a number of "mirror-type" classes (healer, caster, fighter, rogue) that use different mechanics than the core ones...

Psionics are used, although not widely enough that I couldn't reflavour it.
Also which psionic classes are you refering to when you say mirror-type classes?

FlyMolo
2008-01-16, 10:51 PM
Soulknife is definitely one... Wilder/psion are two more. Umm... Psion=wizard/sorc Soulknife=Rogue?/fighter? wilder=??? Druid?!

I'm not really sure about these.

Yakk
2008-01-17, 12:52 PM
Psychic Rogue: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723b
Psychic Warrior (Melee-type)
Psion (Arcane caster)
Divine Mind (Priest-type)

In effect, there is a psionic class for each of the 4 archtypes.

As an example of how you can reflavor:
Any kind of movement/speed power is trivial to reflavor.
Transportation powers are trivial to reflavor.
Many defesive powers can be reflavored as a matter of speed (twitching out of the way of an attack)

It won't build an entire set of characters, but by picking and choosing it should work.