PDA

View Full Version : Dragons of Autumn Twilight

Fuzzy_Juan
2008-01-16, 03:56 AM
Well, the DVD is out now apparently...anyone seen it?

Thoughts?

Prustan
2008-01-16, 05:00 AM
They made a DVD? Movie or TV (mini)series? I really liked the original books, but couldn't follow any of the others because the local library never had a complete set.

Fuzzy_Juan
2008-01-16, 05:13 AM
They made a DVD? Movie or TV (mini)series? I really liked the original books, but couldn't follow any of the others because the local library never had a complete set.

It is a direct to DVD movie, just shy of 2 hrs long. Covers the first book from their meeting in Solace to Pax Tharsas (or however you spell it). Since they reveal where Kitiara was and why she was missing at the very end, it seems as if they intend to keep making movies based on the books.

They have a pretty good cast, Phil LaMarr, Michael Rosenbaum, James Marsden, Kiefer Sutherland, Michelle Tractenberg, Lucy Lawless...

Keifer can only voice one character...if you don't know who...shame on you :smalltongue:

Prustan
2008-01-16, 05:23 AM
Woot! Good quality cast, good quality material, even for a 'direct to DVD' movie, it has to be at least decent, and hopefully darn good. I'm going to have a look for a copy now.

Fuzzy_Juan
2008-01-16, 06:11 AM
Woot! Good quality cast, good quality material, even for a 'direct to DVD' movie, it has to be at least decent, and hopefully darn good. I'm going to have a look for a copy now.

there are places that have streaming copies of the film...for sake of the terms of use I will not mention where. I liked the movie and what I saw was done pretty good i think. Though I have never read that particular book so i am not sure how faithful it is to the novel.

Having the annotated version of 'Legends'...I kept looking for the scene that corresponded to 'Look Raist, Bunnies!"
:smallbiggrin:

((In the annotated Legends book, a touching scene near the end of the trilogy is actually inspired by a joke during the play session of Wies and Hickman. The player of Caramon thought he was just an idiot fighter and didn't really think to highly of him. As they were escaping across a narrow passage in Pax Tharsas, something was casting huge shadows on the wall as they were making their exit...when asked what they were doing Caramon's
player in an attempt to deride caramon's intellect made fingerpuppets against the light saying 'look Raist! Bunnies!'...they laughed hard at that...as a form of 'revenge' that was used in a slightly different way at the end of the legends book to show that the spirit of Caramon was with him and looking out for him, and trying to comfort him as he had since they were children.))

Prophaniti
2008-01-16, 11:06 AM
Why is this the first I'm hearing of this? I'll definitely check it out. Maybe Netflix has it... Sounds interesting, as long as it sucks less than the D&D movies I'll be pleased.

Catskin
2008-01-16, 02:21 PM
I preordered w/ Amazon, got it last night, watched it this morning.

The animation is old-school, like the 80s cartoon. To me that's perfect. But I understand it's not for all. The dialogue/action has been streamlined into the most melodramatic and cliched moments. I loved it. Really, I couldn't stop grinning while watching it.

Some hilarious scenes between Caramon and Tina, Sturm and Raistlin, the only character that fell flat was Tasselhoff. Then again, he's maybe too cool in the novels. He's a little more balanced in the toon. Fizban is less clueless in the film. He casts fireball at appropriate times. Kind of a let down.

I loved the books too. Personally, I'm really happy with the transition. It's not as good the trilogy, but it's like Disney adaptations of Pooh, Alice in Wonderland, whatever. If you're already a fan and can stand the cheese, lotsa of fun! :)

Anyone know if there are plans for the next two chronicles?

Mr. Scaly
2008-01-16, 03:15 PM
...Well then. There are two possible solutions. Either I can see this somehow, or I jump off the nearest tall building. ^^

Sleet
2008-01-16, 03:50 PM
Anyone know if there are plans for the next two chronicles?

Weis and Hickman want to, and the studio apparently will back it if the first one makes enough dough.

I've heard mixed reviews of the film. I'm a Dragonlance fan, but I'm not sure if I'm going to bother with this one.

Premsyl
2008-01-16, 04:03 PM
I've been waiting for this for a while, but God did it look grim for a little while. It's nice to see that some people on here, who I trust to know enough about Dragonlance, are giving the movie good marks.

Semidi
2008-01-16, 04:26 PM
I'm ordering this through netflix and kicking it to the front of the 100+ movie line. Even if it's a really bad movie, I love really bad movies. I'll just stop watching it if it's just bad.

Prustan
2008-01-17, 03:45 AM
I liked it. The pace seemed a little rushed, and Fizban wasn't as clueless as the books, but it did keep you interested and wanting the next chapter.

Yllaria
2008-01-17, 03:56 AM
I can't find it on Netflix. Were the rest of you able to find it?

I really want to see this.

edited to add: Aha! It only comes up if you use the word Dragonlance! Guess what's in my queue now?

kamikasei
2008-01-19, 08:38 AM
Saw it. Not bad as a movie. I haven't read the books, but I'm inclined to now. The voice acting was good. However, I still gotta say that the animation was terrible. Seriously. Even if they couldn't make the 2D look better the whole thing would have been much improved by removing the 3D all together. It made the monstrous characters basically look like there weren't really there.

Is it weird that the high point of the movie for me was recognizing that Laurana was wearing the Elven Chain (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/dmg35_gallery/DMG35_PG221_WEB.jpg) from the pic in the DMG?

Or that Fizban was calling his attacks (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CallingYourAttacks)?

BlackStaticWolf
2008-01-20, 04:20 PM
Or that Fizban was calling his attacks (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CallingYourAttacks)?

That's actually... in character for him. Was he calling them wrong? Because that would be really in character.

kamikasei
2008-01-21, 07:18 AM
That's actually... in character for him. Was he calling them wrong? Because that would be really in character.

No, he was accurate. He did forget what a fireball was called at one point, though. I just thought it was funny, really, mostly due to the ToB hate rhetoric one runs into at times.