PDA

View Full Version : Gearing a new Cleric

Tyrmatt
2008-01-16, 08:54 AM
Have just been gearing up a new level 5 cleric (D&D) in the Warcraft 3.5 setting and so far I've come up with these items out of my original 9000gp to spend on gear. For RP reasons, the cleric is more of a back party healer than a Durkon styled stability cleric. As a byproduct of my War domain I have the proficiency and focus feats on the Longsword, so it should stay.
The potions of Inflict wounds are there as a house ruling for our characters, who are healed by negative energy. So far I know he's gonna be supported by a fighter with a scythe and a rogue as well but others may join or be rolled in a Gestalt fashion.
Any tips on the items or stuff that should be changed?
==============================
Equipment
Item (price, weight)

light steel sheild (9gp) (6lbs)
+1 to AC Chain Shirt (25lbs) (1100gp)
Robe of Bones (2,400 gp) (1lb)
Handy Haversack (2000 gp) (5lb)
Blunderbuss (250 gp) (10lbs)
Sling (n/a) (n/a)
Walking Stick (n/a) (2lbs)
Unholy Symbol (n/a) (1lb)
48/50lbs
Mount (150gp)
Military Saddle (20gp)
Carried/Pocketed
Long Sword (15gp) (4lbs)
100 sling bullets (10sp) (50lbs)
120 blunderbuss rounds (100gp) (30lbs)
Healers Kit (50gp) (1lb)
Climbers Kit (50gp) (1lb)

candles and Chalk
Scrolls of:
Bulls strength x2 (150gp)
Inflict Serious Wounds x2 (375 gp each)
Cure Serious Wounds (375 gp)
Spider Climb x3 (100gp each)
Potions of Inflict Medium Wounds x2 (300gp each)
531gp

daggaz
2008-01-16, 10:30 AM
Everyone is gonna harp on you to get power attack and a twohander, just to get that point out of the way... *cough*

Anyhow, level five? Cant go wrong with some of the more basic all around magic items.. a +1 longsword for starters, so you can dont have to memorize magic weapon and dont have to worry about being able to overcome DR for some of the creatures that start to pop up at that level.

A +1 cloak of resistance, +1 to all saves for 1k? yes please. (Could even splurge and take a +2 cloak)

A pearl of power +1 or +2, cant ever have enough spells, even low level ones. Think of it as an eternally recharging scroll of whatever you want. (I noticed you bought a bunch of scrolls).

If you are going melee, gauntlets of ogre power are in your range.

Might get your armor boosted to +1 as well...

Thats general purpose stuff, can easily spend 9k on that list alone. Then if there's any campaign specific stuff, you outta think about that as well..

Keld Denar
2008-01-16, 10:50 AM
+2 Wis amulet (4000)
+1 Resistance Vest (1000)
+1 Chain Shirt (1250)
2x Pearl of Power 1 (2000)
2x Scroll of Remove Paralysis (300)
2x Scroll of Lesser Restoration (300)
8850 gold spent.

Leaves 150g remaining
The rest spend on a mundane weapon and misc equipment. I highly recommend a sling as a ranged weapon over anything else, since it can be used 1handed with a shield, and adds any str to damage.

marjan
2008-01-16, 11:06 AM
I noticed that you have robe and armor there. Since you cannot wear both you should drop the robe. Also if you don't mind speed reduction get Full-plate. If you plan using shield go with buckler so you can cast spells with weapon in hands.

Tyrmatt
2008-01-22, 06:51 PM
Slight bit of threadomancy here but I forgot to check this topic before the campaign started (it was quite without warning "Hello, we're here to play the campaign now, here roll your HP") but thanks for the input guys
The final loadout ended up like this

Equipment
Item (price, weight)
Long Sword (15gp) (4lbs)
light steel shield (9gp) (6lbs)
+1 to AC Chain Shirt (25lbs) (1250gp)
Priestly Robe of Bones (2,400 gp) (1lb)
Handy Haversack (2000 gp) (5lb)
Blunderbuss (250 gp) (10lbs)
Sling (n/a) (n/a)
Walking Stick (n/a) (2lbs)
Unholy Symbol (n/a) (1lb)
52/58lbs
Mount (150gp)(lost)
Military Saddle (20gp)(lost)
Carried/Pocketed
(weight irrelevant atm due to Handy Haversack)
100 sling bullets (10sp) (50lbs)
120 blunderbuss rounds (100gp) (30lbs)
Healers Kit (50gp) (1lb)
Climbers Kit (50gp) (1lb)
candles and Chalk
Scrolls of:
Bulls strength (150gp)
Inflict Serious Wounds (375 gp each)
Cure Serious Wounds (375 gp)
Spider Climb x3 (100gp each)
Potions of Inflict Medium Wounds x2 (300gp each)
Wand of Inflict Medium Wounds (50 charges) (750gp)
151gp

To address some of the points raised, I consulted our DM and she said that since the Robe of Bones was supposed to be my priestly garb as well, I could wear the chain shirt under it without any penalty. I'll definitely look into the Power Pearls as they look kinda fun.
In the end I gave up on the +1 sword since Magic Weapon is part of my Prot domain spells and it'll do just now, as well as as Spiritual Weapon which lets me fight pretty much anything at range while bypassing DR and incorporeal things. I kept the sling as it'll come in handy. The blunderbuss is a campaign setting item, as a sort've reuseable close range face-melter.

The first session was pretty fun. We were part of an army which was ambushed and we were driven into a tunnel system. After some creative fleeing (our rogue brought LOTS of caltrops) we fought a couple of elves and killed one via sneak attack and severely wounded the other. She tumbled away from us and I missed on my dramatic attempt to use Searing Light to kill her, then the warrior fell over the rogue as he attempted to charge her.

Since she was gonna bring the army down on us, we ran on through the tunnels, scattering more caltrops and a pint of oil on the floor to send any pursuers sliding into a indeterminably deep underground spring (we abandoned the plan to use our undead nature to hide under the water until the army passed by) before finally escaping through a hole in the ceiling to the top of a nearby hill. In the end, I was the only one not on max HP, due being hit by a falling rock as a siege engine attempted to break our barricade. I think that was revenge for making a "Rocks fall, everybody dies" comment before we started.
Currently we're making our way down the mountain, in the direction of what I hope is the nearest town (it's worrying when the priest is the one with the highest Survival ranks and modifier) but who knows what adventure will happen as we attempt to find a way to reach our commanders and relay the news of the battle.
I'd forgotten how much fun it was to play, especially with my heart leaping as I heard the %age dice rolling to determine our next unfortunate event.