PDA

View Full Version : Uwe Boll's shameless money drainage is apparently coming to an end

konfeta
2008-01-16, 10:07 AM
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3i1f048e311710f2fb395ecaf034146a09?imw=Y

So, does that mean he will no longer try to devour happy thoughts and be stuck with movies nobody cares about? I mean, the man tried to secure Metal Gear Solid movie rights, thank the <insert your deity(s)> that he will no longer even be able to come close to high budget choices.

Freshmeat
2008-01-16, 10:50 AM
Uwe Boll is just... ugh. There are no words to describe that man. :smallyuk:
Even after all this time, he still doesn't seem to realize that he's just not cut out to be a director.

I remember that one time where he challenged his critics to... a boxing match!
Need I say more?

Winterwind
2008-01-16, 11:02 AM
The problem is, will this prevent him from ruining good stories? Or will he just ruin the same stories nevertheless, but now with less budget (which might, if not more, reduce him to So Bad It's Funny, so perhaps some good would come from it nevertheless).

That line about Portal and Tunnel Rats worries me...

Tengu
2008-01-16, 11:47 AM
That line about Portal and Tunnel Rats worries me...

You had me there covered in cold sweat for a while! It's Postal, not Portal. The game about violently killing people with lots and lots of toilet humor.

And it might actually be one of Boll's better movies, because from what I heard he will hang a lampshade on his popularity in it - in one scene he will include himself being killed by a mob of infuriated gamers.

MCerberus
2008-01-16, 11:57 AM
Which begs the question:

Was the tax shelter type he used banned because it was a bad idea, or just because of Uwe himself?

FoE
2008-01-16, 12:06 PM
The problem is, will this prevent him from ruining good stories? Or will he just ruin the same stories nevertheless, but now with less budget (which might, if not more, reduce him to So Bad It's Funny, so perhaps some good would come from it nevertheless).

His movies were already in that category, Winterwind. Well, at least some of them were.

I think he has actually finished Postal, because he actually did a screening in the city near where I live. I was sorely tempted to go — how often do you get to meet this generation's Ed Wood? — but I decided against it, knowing the two hours of agony I would have to sit through.

Also, I don't think this will stop him making movies. As I understand it, the tax shelter he was using allowed him to recoup his losses even if the movie lost money.

Jimblee
2008-01-16, 12:07 PM
I don't know... His movies can be pretty funny when he tries to be serious

I mean, in a wholly unintended way

SpiderMew
2008-01-16, 12:20 PM
The man loves doing what he does, even though he sucks so much at it. So he wont stop.
Now that he dosnt have big budget anymore, or his taxshelter, he's going to have to work hard to get anything produced with a decent budget.
Hopefuly game developers will think twice by giving this man the rights to direct any game based movies, even though he plans on making more.
LOL i didnt know In the name of the King was directed by him, lol they never mentioned it in adds.

Winterwind
2008-01-16, 12:49 PM
You had me there covered in cold sweat for a while! It's Postal, not Portal. The game about violently killing people with lots and lots of toilet humor.

And it might actually be one of Boll's better movies, because from what I heard he will hang a lampshade on his popularity in it - in one scene he will include himself being killed by a mob of infuriated gamers.Ooooh. Sorry. Completely misread. :smallredface:
Nevermind then. :smallsmile:

His movies were already in that category, Winterwind. Well, at least some of them were.I must admit I was just going by what I had heard of him; I don't think I have actually seen one of his movies.
Okay, I'll shut up now. :smallbiggrin:

factotum
2008-01-16, 02:01 PM
This is a good thing, provided they now get decent directors to film video game adaptations. I have a horrible feeling that what will ACTUALLY happen is that video game movies will be deemed "box office poison" and nobody will make them anymore.

Irenaeus
2008-01-16, 06:00 PM
I remember that one time where he challenged his critics to... a boxing match!
Need I say more?Give the man credit for his single accomplishment when you mention it; he fought five critics in a row and won every match.

FoE
2008-01-16, 06:17 PM
True, he did kick ass. And some of those guys did act like total bitches afterwards, whining about the beating he dished out to them.

EvilElitest
2008-01-16, 06:24 PM
Give the man credit for his single accomplishment when you mention it; he fought five critics in a row and won every match.

Critics who were half his size, under wieght, and all claimed they just thought this was a publicty stunt. I think one block who wanted to come but could fight wasn't allowed to come

personally, i don't think he is a bad directer out of lack of talent, he does it on purpose for that tax law.
from
EE

Eita
2008-01-16, 06:43 PM
Which begs the question:

Was the tax shelter type he used banned because it was a bad idea, or just because of Uwe himself?

I think it was illegal.

EvilElitest
2008-01-16, 06:51 PM
I think it was illegal.

No it was legal (otherwise Boll would be charged) but i don't know if he was using the law the way it was intended
from
EE

Seraph
2008-01-16, 06:55 PM
Critics who were half his size, under wieght, and all claimed they just thought this was a publicty stunt. I think one block who wanted to come but could fight wasn't allowed to come
EE

It was Seanbaby. the moment boll found out that he was a trained martial artist and big enough to break men in half, he withdrew seanbaby's invitation as fast as he possibly could.

Irenaeus
2008-01-16, 09:26 PM
I can't believe I'll actually use time to defend Boll. And for doing something this stupid to boot.

Well, well.

First of all, it was clearly a quite silly PR-stunt, no question about that, but they still fought.
I would also be surprised if they picked the five top marital critics of the bunch and asked them to fight him, they clearly picked someone they thought he could beat and who would still agree to meet him.
He still is a fourty year old man boxing without a helmet who won the five matches and this, and even though they were probably schewed in his favour, were idiotic from the beginning, and was pretty poor entertainment in general, is the only thing resembling an accomplishment in his life that I know of.

It is stupid and slightly tainted by all of the rubbish surrounding the fights, but it is the best thing I can ever say about him, because everything he touches turns to ****.

With this in mind, I will try my best to do some nitpicking, just because I believe that there were a few factual errors in some of the previous statements and I think we are able to collect quite enough anecdotes showing Boll to be less than satisfactory as a director and human being with only facts. I haven't done any research, so please correct me if I am mistaken.

It was Seanbaby.No, the Seanbaby-thing was a later sparring match that was to be fought against the host of a TV-show as a separate PR-stunt. He backed out when Reily wanted to fight instead of the host.

Critics who were half his size, under wieght, and all claimed they just thought this was a publicty stunt.Most of them were a bit skinny, but Boll is no giant, he has an average build but is fairly short. The weight limits were 140 to 190 pounds, with him being a 175. I don't think they had anybody in the upper end of this so he clearly had a size advantage in some of the fights.

As far as I know, one (Kyanka) claimed he just though it was a publicity stunt, not all.

I think one block who wanted to come but could fight wasn't allowed to comeYou are either thinking of Minter (who could box a bit, fought and lost) or Sparks, who asked after the lineup was done if he could fight him after the other matches were finished and was declined.

By the way, I would recommend reading this (http://www.somethingawful.com/d/feature-articles/behind-scenes-uwe.php?page=1) little rant, telling the story of how Boll managed to get two screenwriter wannabees to walk away in disgust from the first film they had a chance to make! Quite impressive.

EvilElitest
2008-01-16, 09:39 PM
No, the Seanbaby-thing was a later sparring match that was to be fought against the host of a TV-show as a separate PR-stunt. He backed out when Reily wanted to fight instead of the host.

From the article i read by Seanbaby, i recall this was the incident

Most of them were a bit skinny, but Boll is no giant, he has an average build but is fairly short. The weight limits were 140 to 190 pounds, with him being a 175. I don't think they had anybody in the upper end of this so he clearly had a size advantage in some of the fights.

But Boll had boxing experience, had trained himself up for this, and was more phyically fit then they were. Also, weren't their only four guys?

As far as I know, one (Kyanka) claimed he just though it was a publicity stunt, not all.

No i think the fat guy who lost hte second round did as well

By the way, I would recommend reading this (http://www.somethingawful.com/d/feature-articles/behind-scenes-uwe.php?page=1) little rant, telling the story of how Boll managed to get two screenwriter wannabees to walk away in disgust from the first film they had a chance to make! Quite impressive.

That takes skill to be that bad
from
EE

Zarrexaij
2008-01-16, 10:23 PM
Uwe Boll is just... ugh. There are no words to describe that man. :smallyuk: Need I say more?I don't know, Uwebolla and Ebola go hand in hand

Turcano
2008-01-16, 10:42 PM

It won't prevent him from making terrible movies, but the loophole closure does mean that he can't pull his The Producers shtick anymore, and therefore won't actually be rewarded for it.

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2008-01-16, 10:56 PM
Uwe Boll isn't "that man", freshmeat, he's "the man."

feghoot
2008-01-16, 11:47 PM
The madness is almost over.

Joy!

Let the streets be filled with singing!

Blayze
2008-01-17, 08:15 AM
Now what? Is he going to take gaming movies from another angle? Say, the Jack Thompson movie?

Setra
2008-01-18, 03:07 AM
Now what? Is he going to take gaming movies from another angle? Say, the Jack Thompson movie?
Hmm... Let's think about this logically.

Uwe Boll's touch = Something turned to crap

Jack Thompson = Someone who needs to be turned into crap

????

Profit!

Paragon Badger
2008-01-18, 03:20 AM
Uwe Boll's touch = Something turned to crap

Uwe Bowl = Bizzaro Midas?

:smalltongue:

Not like Bloodrayne had a particularly gripping story to begin with. Ugh.

Irenaeus
2008-01-18, 09:57 AM
No i think the fat guy who lost hte second round did as wellAh, ok. Two out of five complained. Not all, but still rather bad.

I suspect that Boll amuses me more than he irritates me because he mostly ruins movies that I had no intention of seeing anyway.

I tend to reserve any real dislike for directors that ruin movies I'd actually like to see done well. Such directors will usually be a fair bit better than Boll, but that is not really saying much.

Thangorodrim
2008-01-23, 07:57 AM
Thank God, we just have to live through the oncoming horror of Dungeon Siege, Postal and Farcry, then its over.

Rare Pink Leech
2008-01-23, 09:33 AM
His movies were already in that category, Winterwind. Well, at least some of them were.

Agreed. Alone in the Dark is easily the funniest comedy of all time. My friends and I laugh ourselves silly watching it, from beginning to end.

EvilElitest
2008-01-23, 10:46 AM
There were only four critics he fought, two out of four yelled foul
from
EE