PDA

View Full Version : How does a doubly-variant Druid fit in?

kamikasei
2008-01-16, 02:47 PM
I'm putting together a Druid for a level 1 game using both the Shapeshift and Spontaneous Rejuvenation variants from PHBII. This is half for balance, half to cut down on bookkeeping, and a smidgen thrown in of wanting to be shapeshifting right away for character reasons.

Now, I've seen Shapeshift lauded here and elsewhere for being much less uberpowerful than the Wild Shape + Animal Companion combo, and I haven't seen anyone criticize Rejuvenation as sucking too hard (though it does seem a little annoying that it scales only with spell level, not caster level or anything else). That's all fine with me, and I'm not asking about their balance. What I'm wondering is how people find these variants affect the druid's role in the party?

The PHB druid, as I understand it, is a self-buffer with a buddy who shares his buffs, and a spontaneous summoner par excellence. Since I'm giving up both the buddy and the spontaneous summoning, what's my niche? Is a PHBII druid still a full caster who can opt instead to self-buff and charge into melee? Is he better off ignoring the casting except for healing and utility? Is melee a bad idea, and should the shapeshifting be the aspect of the class reserved for utility (movement, scouting, etc.)?

I appeal to you, o wisest of boards, for your counsel.

Seffbasilisk
2008-01-16, 02:59 PM
As a druid, you have access to one of the most diverse spell lists. You can heal, buff, self-buff, summon, blast, shape the terrain, or cast the oh so beloved save or lose spells.

The problem most druids have is the sheer variety available to them, and so, normally get pigeonholed into one or two specialities. IE: Summoning, Backup healer, Buffer. Then they rarely move out. Something I find helpful is to think of it this way. You're channeling the RAW POWER OF NATURE. You are a conduit for the primal force surrounding you and your party. Pack some heals, a few battlefield controls (IE: Entangle), and maybe a spell or two to compliment party members (Kelpstrand to let the Rogue get off lots and lots of his oh so sweet sneak attack.) Just remember, you no longer spontaneously summon. So if you want to summon, prepare a summoning spell.

Just go with what floats your boat and seems to be thematic for your character.

If all else fails: http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=733400 The druid handbook.

It's not my favorite, but you can use it for a basis, then just flick through some books and add in spells that seem to call to you.

(Spell Compendium is v. good for this, but also check out PHB II, and the prettys in Dragon Magic.)

Edit: Never ignore the spells, the spells are what make you better then a weak ranger. You can go melee, if you prepared spells for melee, and have a build condusive to it. If you're doing that, I suggest a quarterstaff and using spells to boost it. Shelleligh, Brambles, etc. The Bite of the _____ line of spells are useful as well.

JackMage666
2008-01-16, 03:00 PM
You're still a nature based Divine caster. You can hold out in Melee, though not as long as the Barbarian, but the Shapeshifting helps considerably. Also, you don't have as much need for magic items, as they don't go with you in Shifting, so you're not nearly as high maintenance as the other players (usually). You still have full spellcasting, though you have to choose between being a caster or being a fighter, but the fact that you can switch as a swift action is very useful.

kamikasei
2008-01-16, 03:09 PM
So, buffing and fighting is still viable, along with all the usual castery goodness?

JackMage666
2008-01-16, 03:11 PM
So, buffing and fighting is still viable, along with all the usual castery goodness?

Definately, it's all in what you prepare. It's especially nice at low levels, because when you run out of spells, you just Shapeshift and become a combatant instead. This isn't as much of a problem at higher levels, but it's still nice to save spells in fights that arn't too difficult. Or against Golems.

EDIT - Just remember, though, that the bonuses to Str you get from Shapeshift are Enhancement bonuses, too, so they won't stack with Bull's Strength. Oh, and a Wilding Clasp (from Magic Item Compendium) does marvels for your AC is Shapeshift form, if you put it on armor (armor will reshape into barding when you shift).