PDA

View Full Version : Linux Ubuntu help

Zakama
2008-01-16, 03:01 PM
I Installed Ubuntu on an old laptop to mess around with, but now I'm clueless. The main thing I need to know is where programs get installed to. There are no shortcuts on the desktop, and I have no idea what folders to look in. Thanks in advance for any help.

Reinboom
2008-01-16, 03:26 PM
Depends on the program and how you installed it.
As a user, it should be in /usr/local/ or /usr/bin/ depending on what you installed.
As root... /root/ or /bin/

Unless you installed with some other software, like... wine.. (assuming emulated C directory)
/usr/local/wine_c/

InaVegt
2008-01-17, 01:08 AM
While Reina is correct, you don't really need to know for the most part.

1. Most software with a Graphical User Interface gets added to the menu by the installer.
2. Even if it's not there, alt+F2 gives you a starter, in which you can write a command, in most cases the command is exactly the same as the program.

Example:

Imagine you installed irssi (An IRC client), as it's not a GUI program it doesn't show up in the menu. Thus one presses alt+F2 and enters 'irssi' into the box, now don't forget to mark run in terminal (The Linux name for the command prompt, basically), it should then start.

It works the same for almost all Linux applications.

mause
2008-01-17, 01:22 AM
I've been experimenting in one partition of my disk from arklinux, ubuntu, xubuntu, freespire, zenwalk, xandros and free bsd<--(witch I couldn't install) but I don't understand many or grand part of it. So my question is this:

Is'nt there a linux for dummies avaible on the internerd?

thanks for the time you spend reading this almighty linux users

valadil
2008-01-18, 12:05 AM
Ubuntu pretty much is linux for dummies. I'm not sure if Lindows still exists, but I think it was dumbed down even more.

Anyway, they're right that programs usually get installed to /usr/bin and that you don't need to know this. When you type a command at the terminal, linux will automatically look for that command in /usr/bin (and any other directories in your $PATH variable).

Did gnome or another graphical interface get installed? If so your programs should live in the gnome menu, which looks like the ubuntu logo by default. Also, if you haven't discovered it already, synaptic is a great way to find and install more apps.

bosssmiley
2008-01-18, 08:53 AM
XKCD (http://xkcd.com/178/) - always relevant :smallwink: