PDA

View Full Version : A question on Favoured Souls.

Shas aia Toriia
2008-01-16, 06:26 PM
A question on the Favoured Soul from Complete Divine, my favourite class:

Can a favoured soul take cleric domain spells as a spell known, or can it only be ones that are generic cleric spells? :smallconfused:

Thanks in advance!

Animefunkmaster
2008-01-16, 06:33 PM
I believe it is any spell with the letters CLR# under the level in the spell description. So, the "generic" spell list, as you put it. Domains usually have another heading (based on the domain name), and are generally granted only by class abilities.

I mean, what do you think you are, an Archivist or something.

Illiterate Scribe
2008-01-16, 06:34 PM
This is for statting out Shas, is it?

Level 45. :smalleek:

Anyway, I don't think they can RAW, as then there'd be no stopping them vs. sorcerers, but it would make a reasonable house rule.

marjan
2008-01-16, 06:34 PM
No. Domain spells are not on cleric list until he gets that domain.

Talya
2008-01-16, 06:36 PM

Anyway, I don't think they can RAW, as then there'd be no stopping them vs. sorcerers, but it would make a reasonable house rule.

Sorcerers actually have a couple ways to gain access to cleric domains.

Illiterate Scribe
2008-01-16, 06:38 PM
Yes, but Sparta forbid that the clerics and FSs will start getting sorcerer spells.

Shas aia Toriia
2008-01-16, 06:38 PM

. . .

. . .

Maybe. . .

But actually, I just wanted to see if I had to spend a feat to gain Avasculate or if I could gain it naturally.

And avasculate, for those who don't know, is half-health removed with no save on a ranged touch attack.

CASTLEMIKE
2008-01-17, 05:18 AM
Consider using the "Cloistered" variant on the Favored Soul which would give it a bonus domain Knowledge. If there isn't a feat called Extra Domain somewhere in the game consider making one up since there is the Arcane Disciple feat for arcanists.

Curmudgeon
2008-01-17, 07:28 PM
Sorry, but there isn't any "Cloistered" variant for Favored Souls. "Cloistered" is a variant for the Cleric class only. It makes about as much sense to talk about Cloistered Fighters as it does to talk about Cloistered Favored Souls -- i.e., very little.

Kristoss
2008-01-17, 10:51 PM
Consider using the "Cloistered" variant on the Favored Soul which would give it a bonus domain Knowledge. If there isn't a feat called Extra Domain somewhere in the game consider making one up since there is the Arcane Disciple feat for arcanists.

Arcane Disciple requires arcane spell casting. Check the full description of the feet not just the abridged description in the table.

Talya
2008-01-17, 11:24 PM
Arcane Disciple requires arcane spell casting. Check the full description of the feet not just the abridged description in the table.

Should probably read what he said. He didn't suggest arcane disciple, he used it as an example.

Rad
2008-01-18, 04:56 AM
. . .

. . .

Maybe. . .

But actually, I just wanted to see if I had to spend a feat to gain Avasculate or if I could gain it naturally.

And avasculate, for those who don't know, is half-health removed with no save on a ranged touch attack.

How can you get Avasculate with a feat?

Kioran
2008-01-18, 05:37 AM
How can you get Avasculate with a feat?

Extra Spell. It doesn´t say what list the spell has to come from. I don´t even think it´s cheesy if you say that spell has to be taken at the highest spell lvl any class gets it (no lvl 5 Heal via Adept). If a single spell can literallyoutweigh the worth of an entire Feat for a non-Fighter, that spell is broken.
For the record: I consider Heal a borderline case. It´s just so good. On the other hand, Sorcs and Warmages picking it up need any help they can get, so......

Yami
2008-01-18, 05:55 AM
Now that is a downright decent idea. Finally I can cast defenestrating sphere with my zilla's without having to grab the spell domain!

paigeoliver
2008-01-18, 06:29 AM
Extra domain isn't a feat because most domains COME with a bonus feat in the first place.

CASTLEMIKE
2008-01-18, 09:21 AM
Sorry, but there isn't any "Cloistered" variant for Favored Souls. "Cloistered" is a variant for the Cleric class only. It makes about as much sense to talk about Cloistered Fighters as it does to talk about Cloistered Favored Souls -- i.e., very little.

Never said there was, I posted "Consider" applying the "cloistered" variant to a Favored Soul. Several PRCs like the Divine Oracle, the Contemplative and the Rainbow Serpent all provide extra domains. Somewhere in a source book I wouldn't be surprised to find a divine extra domain feat. I would think a PC entering a Faustian pact could get one in game using that mechanic.

Mechanically it is pretty easy: D8 for HD becomes D6, Skill points increase from 2 a level to 6, average BAB becomes poor BAB, loses some armor and weapon proficiency down to Simple weapons and light armor plus the PC picks up an extra domain Knowledge and Bardic Lore. Could be a fun PC to play.

IMO this is really nice option for a scholarly type Favored Soul of a God of Knowledge, learning and or or magic although the fluff says other Powers have cloistered clerics.

P.S. regarding the second question of the OT a Favored Soul is supposed to have a Divine Connection to their power so I would allow any domain spells attributed to the diety's portfolio.

This is gray "rules lawyering" not everyone will agree with but some people worship pantheons instead of a single power so if your PC is a Favored Soul of a Pantheon he should have access to all their domain spells IMO. Another option is some powers have more than 3 domains so pick 3 - 5 domains you like and if there isn't an existing power with those domains see if your DM will let you be a Favored Soul for a minor obscure demipower with that portfolio in his campaign if you would have more fun playing that way. Back in the old, old days there were the worshippers of the 10,000 gods in Zakhara in FRCS which would pretty much open up all domain spells.

Curmudgeon
2008-01-19, 05:25 PM
Somewhere in a source book I wouldn't be surprised to find a divine extra domain feat. Such a feat already exists, and is available to Favored Souls:
Bonus Domain [Epic]

Prerequisites: Wis 21, ability to cast 9th-level divine spells.

Benefit: Choose an additional domain from your deity’s domain list. You now have access to that domain’s spells and granted powers as normal for your domain spells and the domain’s granted powers.

Special: You can gain this feat multiple times. Each time you take the feat, it applies to a different domain. The Favored Soul would follow the rules for "Extra Domains" on page 20 of Complete Divine.