PDA

View Full Version : 0 Dex = Upright Paralysis?

Tequila Sunrise
2008-01-16, 07:49 PM
So yesterday I read the first few posts of the SHIVERING TOUCH DOESN'T SHUT DOWN DRAGONS thread, and was struck by something that just doesn't make sense as far as I can tell. I brought it up in that thread but it was locked shortly afterward, so I decided to bring it up on my own thread:

Does it seem rediculous to anyone else that a creature paralyzed by "rigid muscles", as per the description of 0 Dex, can somehow remain standing? I mean if I try standing perfectly still and focus on not moving any muscle, I quickly lose my balance and fall over. That's because our muscles are constantly making minute adjustments in order to maintain the perfect balance necessary to remain upright. So if someone is struck with a condition that causes all their muscles to become rigid and unmovable, especially during an activity like combat, how exactly does one stay standing?

TS

Hzurr
2008-01-16, 07:55 PM
yeah...they wouldn't. You'd fall over very quickly.

well...maybe dwarfs with they're "exceptional stability" would stay upright, but aside from that, I'd say that all bipedal creatures would fall over.

F.L.
2008-01-16, 08:04 PM
I think you risk ressurecting the thread from yesterday, which was locked for a very good reason.

Otherwise, I think the CRPG Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion had what you're looking for. When you paralyzed somebody, they became stiff as a board, and toppled over, it was pretty funny, actually, with the ragdoll physics. Even funnier was killing a horse on a steep slope, but that was funny for a different reason.

marjan
2008-01-16, 08:06 PM
well...maybe dwarfs with they're "exceptional stability" would stay upright

Dwarves have already fallen, you just cannot tell the difference.:smallbiggrin:

On topic: paralyzed means that you are frozen in place. Like when you are turned to stone, you can't do anything but you won't fall down unless someone pushes you.

Roland St. Jude
2008-01-16, 08:10 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: Please don't restart locked threads.

Re-starting a Previously Locked Thread Without Permission
Certain threads will be locked by Mods for a variety of reasons, including excessive flaming, inappropriate subject matter, or simple redundancy. If a poster decides to start a new thread on the exact same discussion topic without first gaining permission from the Mods, the thread will be deleted or locked and they will be issued an Infraction—even if the new thread does not, in and of itself, violate any other rule! Which means that if a Mod decides to lock a heated debate over a subject, starting a new thread with a calmer, more well-reasoned point of view is STILL breaking the rules. Re-posting is only allowed if a Moderator gives express permission beforehand.

This is far too similar to the locked discussion.