PDA

View Full Version : monitors

sune
2008-01-16, 09:49 PM
or what ever they are called, how do you become one?

Fester
2008-01-16, 09:51 PM
rule number 1: the best way to never ever ever become a mod is to ask to become a mod

there are no other rules

phoenixineohp
2008-01-16, 09:52 PM
Oh, you don't mean the lizards. You mean Moderators. :smallfrown:

I think that is covered in the rules section. Or you could pm one and ask how they got the position.

Zarrexaij
2008-01-16, 10:20 PM
I heard that you have to sacrifice a duck, a goat, and two babies in order to even be considered for modhood. :smallamused:

Here I was thinking you were going to say something about computer monitors... you know, CRT, LCD, all that goodness.... :smallsigh:

:smallwink:

Sneak
2008-01-16, 10:22 PM
Why would you ever want to become a screen? You wouldn't even have opposable thumbs! :smallconfused:

Zarrexaij
2008-01-16, 10:26 PM
Why would you ever want to become a screen? You wouldn't even have opposable thumbs! :smallconfused:But you'd get to watch people! :smallbiggrin: :smallwink:

Sneak
2008-01-16, 10:29 PM
But you'd get to watch people! :smallbiggrin: :smallwink:

O.o

As to the OP's actual question: being a mod is like being in a secret cult. Only not at all.

Hope that helps. :P

Zarrexaij
2008-01-16, 10:42 PM
O.oExactly.

As to the OP's actual question: being a mod is like being in a secret cult. Only not at all.

Hope that helps. :PAnd there's not laced fruit punch either.

On a rather serious note I never understand why people wanted to be moderators. From what I've heard from people that were moderators on other forums, it's a pretty much thankless, payless job where you basically babysit overgrown children with attitude problems. On this forum, it isn't so bad, but I've been on forums where if the mods weren't on, anarchy ensued. And if you actually enforced anything, you got obscene private messages.

Just saying, it's not as glamorous as it seems.

MattKatt
2008-01-16, 10:56 PM
I was a moderator for a forum once. It was a large forum (nearly as big as this) and I was only a mod in a small section, but it was still alot of work.

I became a mod because 1) The forum had gown a large amount in a few months and 2) I had been a highly active member of the forum for nearly 2 years (nearly 12,000 users and I was constantly in the top 10 for posting...and none of it spam or *bump* posts).

Unfortunatly, the server that held the forums died less than 3 months later and the entire forum was lost. It was started again a month later on a new server and I was once again asked to mod, but it to me it was a different forum and never the same as the old. I left shortly afterwards.

Anyway, my advice; Unless you can commit time to the actualy moderation itself, and you want to do it for the work and not the status, dont become a mod.

Sneak
2008-01-16, 10:59 PM
Exactly.

And there's not laced fruit punch either.

On a rather serious note I never understand why people wanted to be moderators. From what I've heard from people that were moderators on other forums, it's a pretty much thankless, payless job where you basically babysit overgrown children with attitude problems. On this forum, it isn't so bad, but I've been on forums where if the mods weren't on, anarchy ensued. And if you actually enforced anything, you got obscene private messages.

Just saying, it's not as glamorous as it seems.

In my opinion, if someone really really desperately wants to be a mod, they're probably not cut out for the job. Which is why I'm not cut out for modding. :P

But really, I just want to know what they do in those super secret underground forums base of theirs. Just curious, is all.

Anyway, from what I know (which is admittedly not a lot), GiantITP is currently not on the lookout for new mods and probably will not be for a while. If a new mod IS needed, possible candidates will be discussed and watched and eventually contacted.

I think. :P

Charity
2008-01-17, 03:25 AM
Moderators are chosen from posters whom have built a reputation of good sense, keen interest, mature attitude and language skills, fairness and good interpersonal interaction... amongst other criteria, you may have a little way to go on some of these.
^ Sneak you'd make a great mod... well it would be a great laugh while it lasted at least.

North
2008-01-17, 03:28 AM
Moderators are chosen from posters whom have built a reputation of good sense, keen interest, mature attitude and language skills, fairness and good interpersonal interaction... amongst other criteria, you may have a little way to go on some of these.
^ Sneak you'd make a great mod... well it would be a great laugh while it lasted at least.

Damn. Im out. :smallbiggrin:

I dread the day that the anti-monitor arrives and throws the boards into an infinite crisis...:smalleek:

Narmoth
2008-01-17, 04:29 AM
I was shure you wanted to talk about:
http://www.cmhg.gc.ca/cmh/book_images/high/v2_c7_s02_ss01_02.jpg

but sacrificing a goat (http://www.youtube.com/v/n7Pqei37cWA&rel=1) might be a good start

Fay Graydon
2008-01-18, 05:25 AM
Easy, you press up on the d-pad...
You wern't talking about Forge in Halo were you.
:smallwink:

FoE
2008-01-18, 07:02 AM
Moderators are chosen from posters whom have built a reputation of good sense, keen interest, mature attitude … and good interpersonal interaction.

What you're saying is, the opposite of me, then. :smalltongue:

Jimblee
2008-01-18, 07:14 AM
I've modded on forums and game servers before

Its like moving out of a chocolate factory so you can join the army

Theres no way I'm ever doing that again... Plus, I'm prone to endlessly abusing any power given to me. I'm not going into detail, but lets just say that I don't trust myself anymore

Charity
2008-01-18, 07:21 AM
What you're saying is, the opposite of me, then. :smalltongue:

I comiled that list from the long list of qualities I lack.
Though, like your good self I, at least am self aware enough to recognise this fact... Also that Rawhide fella is out to slander my good name at every turn... you blow up one house and suddenly he goes and holds it against you.

bosssmiley
2008-01-18, 08:47 AM
or what ever they are called, how do you become one?

Link tangentially related (http://www.flickr.com/groups/pixelrigs/pool/) :smallwink:

(Eggy in silly mood today)

Death, your friend the Reaper
2008-01-18, 09:33 AM
(Eggy in silly mood today)

We didn't even need to egg him on!

Charity
2008-01-18, 10:03 AM
Eggs stream ly poor pun Death, we are used to eggs quizitely crafted punnage are you feeling a bit off?