PDA

View Full Version : undead paladin of tyranny

Doresain
2008-01-17, 11:59 PM
so im playing a necropolitan paladin of tyranny 7/blackguard 1...while i know its not one of the best builds out there, my dm keeps banning every melee build i create...namely power attack/shock trooper/leap attack...

so is there any way of breaking my current dude so he can possibly deal more damage in combat?

Nebo_
2008-01-18, 12:25 AM
We need more information. What feats do you already have, what are your stats, what books are allowed? Why would you use necropolitan for a melee build?

tyckspoon
2008-01-18, 01:16 AM
Honestly? If your DM isn't letting you go with the easy way, you're probably out of luck. Is he banning Power Attack entirely, or just the extension feats (Shock Trooper/Leap Attack) that make it really horribly lethal instead of simply good?

Doresain
2008-01-18, 01:28 AM
feats: power attack, cleave, improved sunder, and great cleave
ability scores: str 17, dex 14, con -, wis 15, int 13, cha 16 (these were rolled)
books: core plus whatever he allows...and usually anything he allows outside of core he tweaks to the point it sucks...

why i went necropolitan? mostly fluff, but i also like the idea that it keeps the party rogue and psion from actually doing a lot of damage to me (we get into a lot of pissing contests)

and hes not exactly banning the feats...just making it to where the extra damage you do on a leap attack doesnt stack with a two-handed weapons power attack...which is totally lame and makes no sense...

tyckspoon
2008-01-18, 01:50 AM
But.. the whole point of Leap Attack is to improve Power Attack. >.< Well, it'd be horribly feat intensive, but you could try Leap Attack, Two Weapon Fighting, Oversized Two Weapon Fighting, and Two Weapon Pounce to get two attacks at 2x Power Attack return on the charge. Probably not worth it, and you won't get anywhere near completing the combination any time soon unless you take Fighter levels. I think a more immediately useful thing for you would probably be Divine feats. You have Rebuke Undead and a decent Cha, and most of them are nowhere near as borkened as the full Ubercharging combo. Most of the ones you would probably be interested in are in Complete Divine and Complete Warrior.

(Realmshelp Feats List (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/datafind/feats.shtml) Sort that list by Divine and All to get quick information on Divine feats.)

Since you're undead, you could also try and get ahold of a Life-Drinker. It's expensive enough that you probably won't have the money for at least several more levels, tho, and if your DM doesn't let you buy stuff you may never see one in a treasure haul.

Nebo_
2008-01-18, 01:57 AM
See if you can retrain Cleave and Great Cleave. I doubt your DM would go for ToB, but it might be worth it to ask anyway. Otherwise, the Divine feats from CD are pretty nice.

Talic
2008-01-18, 02:03 AM
But.. the whole point of Leap Attack is to improve Power Attack. >.< Well, it'd be horribly feat intensive, but you could try Leap Attack, Two Weapon Fighting, Oversized Two Weapon Fighting, and Two Weapon Pounce to get two attacks at 2x Power Attack return on the charge. Probably not worth it, and you won't get anywhere near completing the combination any time soon unless you take Fighter levels. I think a more immediately useful thing for you would probably be Divine feats. You have Rebuke Undead and a decent Cha, and most of them are nowhere near as borkened as the full Ubercharging combo. Most of the ones you would probably be interested in are in Complete Divine and Complete Warrior.

(Realmshelp Feats List (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/datafind/feats.shtml) Sort that list by Divine and All to get quick information on Divine feats.)

Since you're undead, you could also try and get ahold of a Life-Drinker. It's expensive enough that you probably won't have the money for at least several more levels, tho, and if your DM doesn't let you buy stuff you may never see one in a treasure haul.

I believe the DM is allowing it to improve Power attack with one handed weapons.

The alternative to combat damage killing (which is unadvisable with a race that has no con modifier) is combat control. Adamantine Reach weaponry with combat reflexes, improved trip, improved sunder, and Combat brute if you can get it. Anytime something provokes an AoO, you sunder, then trip, then hit for damage. Stand Still is a good add on feat for bigger critters that you want to keep away from you.