PDA

View Full Version : The Canny Swordsman (Prc, PEACH)

BRC
2008-01-18, 01:10 AM
The Canny Swordsman

The Brigand was built like a bear, he wielded a sword that would have impressed an ogre with it’s sheer size, he was wearing the top half of a suit of battered plate mail armor. He grinned with the expression of a bully taking a sweet from a toddler
The Man was a little over five feet tall, clad in scale mail armor over a suit of comfortable pants, he held a longsword in one hand and a buckler in the other.
The brigand scoffed, his plate armor rattling with his booming laugh “You call THAT a sword. I cut my bread with a sword bigger then that!”
The man gazed at the brigand. “If what you have is a sword, what I have is an aggressive butter knife. However, since what I have is a sword, what you are wielding is little more then a metal club with an edge put on it. You will rush me, counting on your vast strength to overpower my parry, which indeed it would if I tried to parry, instead I will sidestep you and hamstring your left leg, you obviously salvaged that armor because your only wearing the top half of it, which means you will be very top heavy. And with that “Sword” of yours, you’ll fall right into the dirt. Your face will land”
The man scratched an X into the dusty road with his blade “Right there”.
An hour later some merchants found the corpse of a massive man with a large sword and ill-fitting armor lying in the road. For some reason somebody had scratched an X in the road, with the dead brigand’s nose smack dab in the center. The Canny Swordsmen
There is no real orginization of canny swordsmen, however those swordsmen who fully understand that a sharp mind can be more usefull then a sharp blade keep track of and hold a measure of respect for one another. though occasionally a clever swordsman will develop the style of the canny swordsman on their own, usually an existing canny swordsman trains a promising novice in the basics before letting them figure the rest out for themselves.
Requirements
Int 14, Martial weapon focus, Combat Expertise.
The Canny Swordsman
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+2| Testing Defense, Testing Attack.
2nd|
+2|
+0|
+0|
+3|
3rd|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+3| Skilled Disarm
4th|
+4|
+1|
+1|
+4|

5th|
+5|
+1|
+1|
+4|Counterweight

6th|
+6|
+2|
+2|
+5|Skilled Trip
7th|
+7|
+2|
+2|
+5|

8th|
+8|
+2|
+2|
+6|Learn From Success
9th|
+9|
+3|
+3|
+6|Learn From Mistakes
10th|
+10|
+3|
+3|
+7|Blinding Counterattack[/table]

Class Features
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A Canny Swordsman gains no additional Weapon or Armor proficiencies.
Testing Attack: A Canny Swordsman may, by focusing less on her attack and more on her opponent’s response, test an opponent’s defenses. By taking a -2 penalty on attack rolls, the Canny Swordsmen gains a 1 Competence bonus to attacks made against that foe for the duration of the encounter. A testing attack may not work against some creatures such as oozes. Making such an attack is a Simple Action. The total attack bonus from testing Attack plus the total AC bonus of testing defense cannot exceed the Canny Swordsman’s class level plus their Int modifier.
Testing Defense: by focusing less on their defense and more on their opponents attack, a canny swordsman can learn how better to defend against the next attack. By taking -2 AC penalty against one attack, the Canny Swordsmen then gains a +1 Competence bonus to AC against further attacks from that foe for the duration of the encounter. The total attack bonus from Testing Attack plus the total AC bonus of Testing Defense cannot exceed the Canny Swordsman’s class level plus their Int modifier.
Skilled Disarm: if a Canny Swordsmen has an attack bonus gained from Testing Attack of at least +3 against a foe, they may make a disarm attempt with a +4 bonus.
Counterweight: The Canny Swordsman may, for a price of 1000gp, have a buckler or light off-handed weapon modified to act as a perfect counterweight for their main hand weapon (Providing it is not a light weapon), providing a +2 attack bonus with the main weapon while the counterweight is being wielded in the other hand. Each counterweight must be made for a specific weapon, and it costs 200gp to modify an existing counterweight. If you use a counterweight bar (Provides no other benefit besides the counterweight), all the costs are halved.
Skilled Trip: If a Canny Swordsmen has an AC bonus gained from Testing Defense of at least +3 against a foe, they may make a trip attempt against that foe at a +4 bonus.
Learn From Success: If a Canny Swordsmen deals a critical hit against a foe, they gain a +1 bonus to attacks as if they had made a Testing Attack. If the critical was scored on a testing attack then the bonuses stack. In addition they get a +2 bonus on attack rolls to confirm critical hits against that foe
Learn From Mistakes: If an attack against a Canny Swordsman is a Critical threat (regardless of whether it is confirmed), the Canny Swordsmen gains a +1 AC bonus against further attacks from that foe as if she had made a Testing Defense. If the critical threat was scored against a Testing Defense then the bonuses stack. In addition, the foe gets a -2 penalty on attack rolls to confirm critical hits against the Canny Swordsman.
Blinding Counterattack: If a Canny Swordsman has both an AC and Attack Bonus (Gained from testing attack and testing defense) of plus three against a foe they may make a blinding counterattack. The use of Blinding Counterattack must be declared when the Canny Swordsman is attacked. First they gain a -4 penalty to armor class against the attack, then they make a bluff check with a +5 modifier as if they were Feinting against the opponent. The canny swordsman then makes an attack at their highest Base Attack Bonus against the foe. If the Canny Swordsmen succeeded on the feint check, her opponent is considered Flat Footed for the purpose of this attack.

Any Comments, especially concerning Blinding Counterattack. I like the idea, but I think it's not crunching out right.

BRC
2008-01-21, 12:32 AM
...no comments or death threats or anything?

Jack Zander
2008-01-21, 01:05 AM
It seems a little underpowered. I like it, but before this class could use any abilities the fight would already be over. Might be good for a duelist, swashbuckling campaign though.

BRC
2008-01-21, 01:09 AM
It seems a little underpowered. I like it, but before this class could use any abilities the fight would already be over. Might be good for a duelist, swashbuckling campaign though.
I'm thinking of adding that he can learn the Testing Blow/Testing Defense by studying an enemy attacking or defending (can be done off-turn, concentration or provokes a AOO) to gain the benefit of testing attack/testing defense.

Stycotl
2008-01-21, 01:16 AM
can hardly read it. separate the individual ability descriptions with bold headings, or a space between abilities.

also, fluffy stories are nice, really. but give the background of the prc. notice that each class and prc in a legitimate wizards book has a background as well as whatever example npc story. no descriptive fluff (of actual class) = little interest.

HellFencer
2008-01-21, 09:23 AM
Maybe its just me, but I can't even understand what Testing Attack and Testing Defense do, besides give you a penalty, and half that back as a bonus... or something... >.>

wadledo
2008-01-21, 09:44 AM
Bump up reflex, drop the 14 Int perquisite, try adding Improved disarm.
Also, skills much?:smallconfused:

BRC
2008-01-21, 11:38 AM
Maybe its just me, but I can't even understand what Testing Attack and Testing Defense do, besides give you a penalty, and half that back as a bonus... or something... >.>
the penalty is only for that attack, the bonus lasts for the rest of the encounter and stacks. You take a penalty now so you get a bonus on every subsequent attack against that opponent.
also, I knew I forgot something! Skills! i'll start getting on that.

Spiryt
2008-01-21, 04:59 PM
I really like idea of Int based fighting class, and your ideas are good.

However all abilities are a bit underpowered IMO. Before Canny swordman gets any real bonus from using testing attacks, some standard Leap attacker will probably already end the ecounter by some massive Power Attack damage.

(It's anyway little unclear. What is simple action? Does penalty from TestAtt apply only for one attack you made in given round or to all your attacks?

Example:

Robin Rang4/ CS1 performs full round act with his two scimitars. Can he take - 2 penalty on both attacks and then get + 2 bonus on all attacks in next round?

Also I think that it need some Intelligence boosted ability. Testing att/def is not enough.

Baron Corm
2008-01-21, 05:20 PM
Really like the story in the beginning, and the abilities, but as others have said they require too much time to work. In your story, the guy sidestepped the attack and then counterattacked. Perhaps change Testing Attack and Testing Defense to one ability. If the canny swordsman does not attack for 1 round, he receives his Intelligence bonus to all attack rolls against any creature which attacks him during that round for the rest of the encounter. This stacks if he does it for multiple rounds, but he many do it no more than (put number on table to fill in dead levels) times.

Something more like that, at least maybe? Helps the dead levels. A problem with the class is that all the abilities are pretty much focusing on the one move the guy did in the introduction, and could be summed up in one ability, such as the one above. Perhaps make this into a tactical feat, or something, or else come up with more varied class ideas and a broader flavor.

BRC
2008-01-21, 05:34 PM
Really like the story in the beginning, and the abilities, but as others have said they require too much time to work. In your story, the guy sidestepped the attack and then counterattacked. Perhaps change Testing Attack and Testing Defense to one ability. If the canny swordsman does not attack for 1 round, he receives his Intelligence bonus to all attack rolls against any creature which attacks him during that round for the rest of the encounter. This stacks if he does it for multiple rounds, but he many do it no more than (put number on table to fill in dead levels) times.

Something more like that, at least maybe? Helps the dead levels. A problem with the class is that all the abilities are pretty much focusing on the one move the guy did in the introduction, and could be summed up in one ability, such as the one above. Perhaps make this into a tactical feat, or something, or else come up with more varied class ideas and a broader flavor.
Hmm, how about somthing like this
Study Target: The Canny Swordsman Studies a target, this is a standard action that provokes an attack of opprotunity. If during that round the target attacks, the canny swordsmen gains an AC bonus equal to her Int bonus against that target. If the target is attacked, the Canny Swordsmen gains an attack bonus equal to her Int bonus against that target. these bonuses last for the rest of the encounter.
I'll need to rework the other abilities, but I like that better as a base ability.

RTGoodman
2008-01-21, 05:37 PM
First, a little nitpick - most classes and feats that require a specific ability score use an odd number. You don't have to, I guess, but I'd say either bump it up to 15 (which works for the other suggestion I have), or drop it to 13.

Secondly, I don't know if you'd want to do this since it changes the main ability a lot, but here's something I thought of as a different mechanic with the same sort of result. This replaces the standard "take a -2 penalty to get a +1 bonus later."

As a standard action, make a single attack with a -2 penalty against the target creature. After the attack resolves, make a special Intelligence check with your 1/2 your class level as a bonus. Compare your result to the following chart, and that's the bonus you have until the end of the encounter, or until you spend another standard action to size up your foe (as above).

{table=head]Check Result | Bonus to Attacks
0-9 | +0
10-14 | +1
15-19 | +2
20-24 | +3
25-29 | +4
30+ | +5[/table]

For the defense, it could be the same way, but you make the check as an immediate action after you've been attacked by the target. I'd also suggest that you have to pick one opponent for it to work against, but you can change them by just using another action (standard or immediate, depending on which you're changing).

The disarm and trip are sort of weird, so I don't really know what to do with them. For the capstone ability, though, I'd suggest just allowing the Canny Swordsman to expend his attack bonus from Testing Attack (as an swift action) to give himself twice that number as a bonus on a single attack (maybe that also treats the opponent as flat-footed). Maybe he could expend his AC bonus from Testing Defense as an immediate action to gain twice the bonus as a bonus to AC against a single attack.

BRC
2008-01-21, 07:30 PM
First, a little nitpick - most classes and feats that require a specific ability score use an odd number. You don't have to, I guess, but I'd say either bump it up to 15 (which works for the other suggestion I have), or drop it to 13.

Secondly, I don't know if you'd want to do this since it changes the main ability a lot, but here's something I thought of as a different mechanic with the same sort of result. This replaces the standard "take a -2 penalty to get a +1 bonus later."

As a standard action, make a single attack with a -2 penalty against the target creature. After the attack resolves, make a special Intelligence check with your 1/2 your class level as a bonus. Compare your result to the following chart, and that's the bonus you have until the end of the encounter, or until you spend another standard action to size up your foe (as above).

{table=head]Check Result | Bonus to Attacks
0-9 | +0
10-14 | +1
15-19 | +2
20-24 | +3
25-29 | +4
30+ | +5[/table]

For the defense, it could be the same way, but you make the check as an immediate action after you've been attacked by the target. I'd also suggest that you have to pick one opponent for it to work against, but you can change them by just using another action (standard or immediate, depending on which you're changing).

The disarm and trip are sort of weird, so I don't really know what to do with them. For the capstone ability, though, I'd suggest just allowing the Canny Swordsman to expend his attack bonus from Testing Attack (as an swift action) to give himself twice that number as a bonus on a single attack (maybe that also treats the opponent as flat-footed). Maybe he could expend his AC bonus from Testing Defense as an immediate action to gain twice the bonus as a bonus to AC against a single attack.
Hmm, I like that idea actually. How abouts this for a capstone
Press the advantage: the Canny Swordsman loses any bonus from Testing attack and makes an attack with the sacrificed bonus + the Canny Swordsmans int bonus to attack and damage rolls. After this is done, the canny swordsmen cannot make a Testing Attack for 1d4 rounds.
And
Saw that coming: the Canny Swordsman may sacrifice the bonus gained from Testing Defense, and instead gain the bonus sacrificed plus their int bonus to AC against one attack from the target. This is an immediate action that must be declared before the attack roll is made. If the foe misses they must make a reflex save (DC 10+ int bonus from canny swordsman + Testing Defense bonus sacrificed), if they fail then they automatically go last on the next round, and are Flat Footed until that point. If this is done the Canny Swordsman cannot make anohter Testing Defense for 1d4 rounds

RTGoodman
2008-01-21, 08:32 PM
Hmm, I like that idea actually. How abouts this for a capstone
Press the advantage: the Canny Swordsman loses any bonus from Testing attack and makes an attack with the sacrificed bonus + the Canny Swordsmans int score to attack and damage rolls. After this is done, the canny swordsmen cannot make a Testing Attack for 1d4 rounds.

That could work, but I think you mean "plus the Canny Swordsman's Int bonus," not Int score. Unless you really want people adding the full Int score, which I guess could be okay. I just don't think there's any precedent to that.

BRC
2008-01-21, 08:41 PM
Yeah, Just changed that and added an equivilent Keystone for Testing Defense, look at my last post, or if your too lazy, here it is
Saw that coming: the canny swordsman may sacrifice the bonus gained from Testing Defense, and instead gain the bonus sacrificed plus their int bonus to AC against one attack from the target. This is an immediate action that must be declared before the attack roll is made. If the foe misses they must make a reflex save (DC 10+ int bonus from canny swordsman + Testing Defense bonus sacrificed), if they fail then they automatically go last on the next round, and are Flat Footed until that point. If this is done the Canny Swordsman cannot make anohter Testing Defense for 1d4 rounds