PDA

View Full Version : Who else dide a little inside when they saw skele-Roy?

I_R_Thog
2008-01-18, 07:31 AM
It never thought about what Roy's body being decayed... sorta sad.

Tempest Fennac
2008-01-18, 07:41 AM
It was inevitable without a spellcaster to cast Gentle Repose on him everyday (a level 3 Cleric or a level 5 Wizard would hav been able to use the spell).

tenguro
2008-01-18, 09:46 AM
meh sorta, even though I like Roy, I found it rather amusing.

David Argall
2008-01-19, 02:30 AM
He's been dead about 4 months in a hot clime. He's lucky he's more than just bone.

Animefunkmaster
2008-01-19, 03:10 AM
meh sorta, even though I like Roy, I found it rather amusing.

I second.

Also, who is to say what affect cloister has on the climate?

Sesquedoodle
2008-01-19, 03:21 AM
I died, just a bit.
Mostly because of the bits of flesh still on his skull. That was gross.

Regneva
2008-01-19, 09:07 AM
Who else "did WHAT a little inside" when they saw Roy?

Mummy king
2008-01-19, 09:59 AM
I'm pretty sure ROY is the one who died. And not just a little! :smallwink:

Mauve Shirt
2008-01-19, 03:23 PM
Who else "did WHAT a little inside" when they saw Roy?

Died. That was a typo.

the_tick_rules
2008-01-19, 07:40 PM
i think it's funny that his skelton looks exactly like xykon.

David Argall
2008-01-19, 09:20 PM
See the three Xykons. A skeleton looks like a skeleton.

SweetLikeLemons
2008-01-19, 09:44 PM
I had a small blond moment and actually thought it was Xykon for a split second.

Once I realized it was Roy, I felt a little sad for him.

Then I felt a little sad for Haley and Belkar for having to cart him around. As long as he still has those icky bits of flesh clinging to him, he's gonna smell awful.

Green-Shirt Q
2008-01-19, 09:54 PM
I didn't die at all, I just started to wonder...

Xykon' flesh has all decmposed (or rather 'exploded') off him, how can he make an angry look without eyelids?:smallconfused:

Szilard
2008-01-19, 10:38 PM
Magic! he is a sorcerer after all.

Yoritomo Himeko
2008-01-19, 10:58 PM
Yeah, it's really depressing seeing Roy's body like that. :smallfrown:

I know it's going to take quite a while, but that just makes me want him back even more. I miss the way he used to handle everyone and keep them all together.

The comic is missing something without him.

Firestar27
2008-01-19, 10:58 PM
What's really funny is that Roy's corpse is smiling.

FoE
2008-01-19, 11:03 PM
What's really funny is that Roy's corpse is smiling.

No, that's just how he looks now with his lips rotted off.

Ahem.

Ulrichomega
2008-01-19, 11:29 PM
As for gentle repose, they are in the chief city of one of the major religions. They have clerics coming out of every orifice. At least one level three one will have made it to the resistance methinks.

Kish
2008-01-19, 11:48 PM
As for gentle repose, they are in the chief city of one of the major religions.
Specifically, of the worship of the Dark One, now.

There's no indication Azure City was ever the chief city of the Twelve Gods' religion. It was famous* for paladins, not clerics, and the Twelve Gods are the gods of all the South. I doubt a city which dominated a third of the world would fall anywhere near as easily as Azure City did, even to a hobgoblin army as big as Xykon's--and the exposed bone on Roy's corpse strongly suggests a lack of Gentle Repose spells among the resistance.

*In a "most people don't know about the Sapphire Guard" way.

VetMichael
2008-01-20, 12:04 AM
he looked a LOT like Xykon, which is kinda ironic, I think :smallbiggrin:

monty
2008-01-20, 01:33 AM
He also looked a bit like the dead teleport wizard guy. Could it possibly be that it's a stick figure comic and all the skeletons look more or less alike?

The Extinguisher
2008-01-20, 02:32 AM
I don't see it. I think he looked more like the Death Knight.

Although, I would love a MiTD scene with Xykon's "fifth triplet"

Tempest Fennac
2008-01-20, 03:30 AM
Kish made a good point regarding how easily AC was taken. 1 Porblem was that they kept their hiher level casters (for the most part) away from the frontline, which limited what they could do (using a few fireballs would have severely weakened a large part of the Hobgoblin army, but they couldn't e used by anyoneother then Vaarseuveus due to the positionin of the Wizards). Incidentally, wasit ever explained why the High Priest of the 12 Gods was hiding in a courtyard rather then summoning creatures from the walls? Considering how none of the AC Clerics seemed to have armour or weapons, the chances of them being able to survive the Hobgoblins breeching the walls were slim, so their only real optio wasn to try to escape to Hinjo's boat. The fact that only 1/6 of the cities Clerics were on level 3 or higher suggests that AC didn't really consider a need to train them in the event of an invasion (Julia is only 16, but she's confirmed as level 3 dispite still being at school, which really doesn't say much for whoever is training AC's Clerics, or their other troops considering how they all seemed to be low level Fighters, or possibly Warriors).

Khanderas
2008-01-23, 09:17 AM
Shouldn't the Mark of Justice have decayed by when Roy has rotted for 3 months ?
Atleast the part of staying close to him. The corpse is not the person Roy.

Tempest Fennac
2008-01-23, 10:14 AM
I think Belkar's just assuming that Roy's corpse counts as being Roy as a person for the sake of the MoJ (Durkon or V never said anything to the contary, and Belkar and Haley probably don't have any ranks in Spellcraft, so they would't be likely to know how it works).

GrayMatter
2008-01-23, 11:28 AM
I felt like something had died in my stomach, does that count? ick...

Shouldn't the Mark of Justice have decayed by when Roy has rotted for 3 months ?
Atleast the part of staying close to him. The corpse is not the person Roy.

So Belkar may have been free of the Mark of Justice ever since Roy's death, and just doesn't know it? OMG it's going to be hysterical to see that come out.

WarriorTribble
2008-01-23, 11:58 AM
Besides sentimental reasons, I wonder why no one was using Roy's sword.

hajo
2008-01-23, 11:59 AM
They have clerics coming out of every orifice. At least one level three one will have made it to the resistance

During the meeting (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0413.html) before the battle, they decided to gather the high-level clerics and spellcasters in the castle.
Later, we have seen them getting killed by the elemental in the courtyard (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0457.html).

So, all the clerics not killed or evacuated should be low level.

the_tick_rules
2008-01-23, 12:05 PM
well like all major cities that vast majority of people are low level. they have duties to perform, not go out and fight for xp like adventurers do.

hajo
2008-01-23, 12:10 PM

Everyone of note already has his favorite weapon, and training a civilian at an outlandish, one-of-a-kind weapon does not make much sense.
Also, surviving swordmasters would rather use weapons available in larger quantity (katanas?) for teaching a class of newbies.

hajo
2008-01-23, 12:22 PM

Everyone of note already has his favorite weapon, and training a civilian at an outlandish, one-of-a-kind weapon (Roy's +5 longsword (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0297.html) from the northern lands surely counts as such) does not make much sense.
Also, surviving swordmasters would rather use weapons available in larger quantity (katanas?) for teaching a class of newbies.

moleytov
2008-01-23, 01:16 PM
I don't know about any DM/GMs where you are, but I think most of ours would pretty quickly find a way to remove a +5 sword which did extra damage to undead from the hands of a low-level character very quickly...

dutch508
2008-01-23, 06:54 PM
by dide, did you mean dance in delighted excitement?

:thog:

Kish
2008-01-23, 07:21 PM
(Roy's +5 longsword (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0297.html) It's a greatsword.

Shraik
2008-01-23, 07:30 PM
I was kind of happy they still had the body.

NorseItalian
2008-01-23, 07:34 PM
I actually didn't notice the first time...

Callista
2008-01-27, 05:07 AM
Considering how much CSI I've watched... I felt kind of sorry for them. I have enough trouble when a rat dies under the house or something. :smalleek:

dehro
2008-01-27, 05:38 AM

like who? belkar would have trouble lifting it and haley is a rogue...
a random paladin raised to the status of temporary PC? naaa

anyway... a skeleton looks like a skeleton...how can people look surprised that he looks like..uhm..another skeleton character?

the stench, the stench! the horrible stench!! how do they endure it?

Callista
2008-01-27, 08:06 AM
Prestidigitation might offer some relief.

hylian chozo
2008-01-27, 11:38 AM

Unless they are going to flavor him, it won't help much.

warmachine
2008-01-27, 12:13 PM
I died a little inside when I saw the awful spelling in the thread title.

dehro
2008-01-27, 01:26 PM
uhm..do you mean, sticking their fingers in their noses?

Roderick_BR
2008-01-27, 01:28 PM
Yeah, I felt nervous when I saw that. Three months, yuck.
Hmm.. They do have 3rd level clerics around, but they are mostly using their scarce resources to help the resistance. Keeping Roy's corpse pretty is not top priority.
As for the MoJ, if Roy doesn't count as a body anymore, it would mean that Belkar is no longer close to him, thus activating it automatically, non-stop, for 3 months. Since it didn't happen, we can assume that being close to the corpse is enough, or his dead ended the MoJ (or just suspended it).

sun_tzu
2008-01-27, 01:29 PM
Roy is by a wide margin my favorite character.
I was shocked when he died.
But seeing his skeleton? Didn't do a thing to me.

Cuttlefish
2008-01-27, 01:30 PM
the stench, the stench! the horrible stench!! how do they endure it?

Well, just from the look of it, OotS characters don't have noses. Still, Belkar has been known to be able to distinguish persons by smell. Maybe nose is a race trait in OotS? :smallwink:

Tempest Fennac
2008-01-27, 02:26 PM
Only Arcane casters can use Prestigitation, but it would probably help to stop the corpse from smelling my cleaning it (there is actually an Orison called Cleanliness which can clean 1 target which I would have thought could be used to clean a corpse as well as living creatures).

Hyrael
2008-01-27, 04:14 PM
Kish made a good point regarding how easily AC was taken. 1 Porblem was that they kept their hiher level casters (for the most part) away from the frontline, which limited what they could do (using a few fireballs would have severely weakened a large part of the Hobgoblin army, but they couldn't e used by anyoneother then Vaarseuveus due to the positionin of the Wizards). Incidentally, wasit ever explained why the High Priest of the 12 Gods was hiding in a courtyard rather then summoning creatures from the walls? Considering how none of the AC Clerics seemed to have armour or weapons, the chances of them being able to survive the Hobgoblins breeching the walls were slim, so their only real optio wasn to try to escape to Hinjo's boat. The fact that only 1/6 of the cities Clerics were on level 3 or higher suggests that AC didn't really consider a need to train them in the event of an invasion (Julia is only 16, but she's confirmed as level 3 dispite still being at school, which really doesn't say much for whoever is training AC's Clerics, or their other troops considering how they all seemed to be low level Fighters, or possibly Warriors).

Dont be so down on AC: I think that their counter-invasion plans rather assumed that there would be companies of soldiers provided by their nobles, because after all, THATS WHAT NOBLES ARE FOR!

Sorry, but the core tennents of Aristocracy just piss me off to no end.

Plus, it could be that, simply put, azure city doesnt really have a good handle on the implementation of magic in military tactics. they crowd around powerfull undead creatures, dont make effective use of their casters, and need foreign elven mages to shore up holes in their walls.

It could be that AC is still in love with the "send the rabble out to die, then have the samurai take all the credit" philosophy of war.

Callista
2008-01-29, 03:18 AM
Prestidigitation has been called "Diet Wish"--it allows any minor magical effect. If it allows you to change a flavor, no matter how bad, it should also allow you to change an odor. At the very least, it could act as a magical nose-plug.

Tempest Fennac
2008-01-29, 03:35 AM
I know what you mean about AC, Hyrael. I just found it amazing that the people who were in charge seemed to have even less of a clue then I would have, especially considering what was at stake in the battle.

Jowston
2008-01-29, 05:47 AM
Dont be so down on AC: I think that their counter-invasion plans rather assumed that there would be companies of soldiers provided by their nobles, because after all, THATS WHAT NOBLES ARE FOR!

AC would have been able to win had they had their troops, it's not really a lack of proper planning so much as not having the resources to mount any real defense.
The nobles all hightailed it quick as soon as they saw what they were up against, for fear of losing any sort advantage that their sizable amount of troops would give them in staging of a coup.

Tempest Fennac
2008-01-29, 06:00 AM
Did they have that much of a disadavantage, though? Most of Redcloak's Army was made up of 1 HD Hobgoblins, and traditionally, you need at least a 3/1 advantage when attacking a fortified location (which were the odds in the battle). Xykon would have been a huge problem is he'd have followed RC's plan and attacked the soldiers on the walls, but he decided to go sriaignt for the throneroom after inflicting a small number of casuelties (and killing Roy, who was quite a big loss due to his level and sword). While the defenders didn't have any real reason to expect that Titanium Elementals would attack the walls, there was nothing stopping the High Priest from summoning a few reasonably powerful monsters as well (we know he was at least levl 13 from his attempts to use Ressurrection).
While we don't have any way of knowing the levels of any of the Wizard NPCs apart from Saanwaan, who needed to be at least level 11 to use True Seeing, a few level 5 Wizards casting Fireballs on large groups of Hobgoblins would be able to cause huge losses which would benefit the frontline soldiers greatly. While RC's charge was probably unstopable without at least 1 Cloudkill (I don't think one would have been wide enough to completely cover the breech, and the spell moves away from the caster at the rate of 10 ft/turn anyway), killing enough of the Hobgoblins who were initially attacking the breech and other parts of the walls would have severely hindered the attack.

Weiser_Cain
2008-01-29, 11:33 PM
Better than bloating up and rotting blue and black. This way he's less likely to give you a disease lugging him around.

LordSintax
2008-02-08, 11:50 PM
I died a little, but only a little. and as for Roy's sword, i think at least Haley would give a man's ancestral weapon the respect it deserves (wow, that sounded a lot less perverse INSIDE my head). Belkar would have no such qualms, but fortunately the sword probably weighs more than he does

Weiser_Cain
2008-02-09, 12:57 AM
I thought I killed this topic?

Raging_Pacifist
2008-02-09, 01:20 AM
Jeez, I thought this thread died weeks ago.

Souju
2008-02-09, 01:45 AM
Did they have that much of a disadavantage, though? Most of Redcloak's Army was made up of 1 HD Hobgoblins, and traditionally, you need at least a 3/1 advantage when attacking a fortified location (which were the odds in the battle). Xykon would have been a huge problem is he'd have followed RC's plan and attacked the soldiers on the walls, but he decided to go sriaignt for the throneroom after inflicting a small number of casuelties (and killing Roy, who was quite a big loss due to his level and sword). While the defenders didn't have any real reason to expect that Titanium Elementals would attack the walls, there was nothing stopping the High Priest from summoning a few reasonably powerful monsters as well (we know he was at least levl 13 from his attempts to use Ressurrection).
While we don't have any way of knowing the levels of any of the Wizard NPCs apart from Saanwaan, who needed to be at least level 11 to use True Seeing, a few level 5 Wizards casting Fireballs on large groups of Hobgoblins would be able to cause huge losses which would benefit the frontline soldiers greatly. While RC's charge was probably unstopable without at least 1 Cloudkill (I don't think one would have been wide enough to completely cover the breech, and the spell moves away from the caster at the rate of 10 ft/turn anyway), killing enough of the Hobgoblins who were initially attacking the breech and other parts of the walls would have severely hindered the attack.

I think V's line fit: "You know things are looking bad when Elves are reduced to stonemasonry"
Personally i think if the paladins hadn't all crowded around the damn gate (and maybe locked Miko in the hole they locked belkar in...i mean COME ON she's at LEAST as dangerous as he is!) and instead fought along the walls, the battle might have turned out a little better. Unless the oath thing only works if they die in the throne room, which seems rather unlikely since Soon himself probably didn't die in there, and i doubt that many paladins did either barring the ones who were sent in there.
I mean, even if they ARE lower level, just having that many to bolster the frontlines would help immensely.
In addition, I'd dig up any spell i could find that would put additional barriers around the freakin throne room, maybe even traps. They knew Xykon didn't want to destroy the gate, and that what he needed to do would obviously take a bit of time, which they could infer from how long he was in the Dungeon of Dorukan.
Aren't there spells and such that work like traps and affect undead?

Tempest Fennac
2008-02-09, 08:13 AM
I suppose a Symbol of Undeath to Death would have been great (I don't think anyone's invented that spell yet, though, and it would require several weeks of development time). I know what you mean about the Paladins, but I think they needed to be in the throne room judging my Hinjo's comment to Durkon about why he only put Paladins in there just before the Ghost Martyrs attacked Xykon.

Ikialev
2008-02-09, 03:40 PM
Why can't they chop Roy's body to pieces, and then stuff it into Bag of Holding? >>

"With my luck, shoving him into an extraplanar space like that will count as him being on another plane of existence, and the stupid curse will go off anyway".

Raider
2008-02-09, 04:12 PM
Roy's corpse actually gave me a laugh, a sick one.

What else were they going to do with it though? They could've used the bones as impro weapons for any rookies without swords

Raging_Pacifist
2008-02-11, 12:15 AM
Roy is by a wide margin my favorite character.
I was shocked when he died.
But seeing his skeleton? Didn't do a thing to me.

Same thing here.