PDA

View Full Version : Psychic warrior build

bigbaddragon
2008-01-18, 10:50 AM
Hi all,
I've been playing ranger/scout/dervish character for some time now (brought him up from lvl2 to lvl9) and I'm getting kinda bored with dancing around and slashing and skirmishing everything that gets in my way. So I've decided to try out something psionic, particularly speaking Psychic Warrior. Since I have no experience in psionics I'm asking all of you kind people to help me a bit.

ECL for the build is 10, race will most likely be human (but there is a slight chance that my DM will allow me Kalashtar or Elan, I'm leaning towards Elan for now).

Allowed books are: all Completes, Eberron specific material, Expanded Psionics Handbook of course, Core (including PHB2) and Races Of ...

I would like not to lose to many manifester levels through multiclassing and PrCing (1, 2 tops) if any at all.

With my DM's point by I'll be able to have the following base stats:
Str 16, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 13, Wis 14, Cha 8. Also due to my DM's generosity I'll have a bonus feat at 2nd, 7th, 12th and 17th level (this brings me to 11 feats by level 10). One flaw is allowed.

The campaign will probably end somewhere between ECL 12 and ECL 15.

What I'm asking from you is mainly your help with powers selection and some help with feat selection. I was thinking about battlefield controlling character (that is why Int is 13) and also considered Combat Form feats tree (for up to three feats). The most important thing about this character is that I want him to be more cunning, scoundrelish type (you know, ready for almost anything), he doesn't have to beat the crap out of everything he encounters or be ultimately optimized. I've identified a lot of low level powers that could be useful in various situations and I just don't know which to chose, which is the main problem.

So fell free to share your experiences, ideas and builds.
Thanks.

AlterForm
2008-01-18, 08:01 PM
Well, if you want to control the battlefield (really well :smallwink: ) then here's what you'll want:

Feats:
Exotic Weapon Prof: Spiked Chain
Stand Still
Combat Reflexes

Powers:
Vigor (just damn useful)
Expansion (with a full augment to 7 PP, you grow to huge and threat 20 feet out)
Prowess (for when you really need that extra AoO)

Items:
Spiked Chain (+1 Vicious is nice to use with Stand Still, if you can make it Deep Crystal (-2 PP and a free action to charge with +2d6 on next attack) that's also good)
Items of +STR and +DEX

I'm running a Psywar just like this atm, and he does his job (control the battlefield by not letting enemies move) really really well. I hope I didn't forget something in it though...

dyslexicfaser
2008-01-19, 01:51 AM
PsyWar also makes a pretty good grappler, if you feel like going that way. It's tricky to make a decent grappler, but PsyWar is one of the better ways to go about it.

Expansion improves size, which also improves grappling ability and reach. Claws of the Beast gives him natural weapons to use in the grapple, Grip of Iron improves his grapple score significantly. I also like the image of some unarmed guy suddenly growing upwards of 6-12 feet and sprouting claws when it's time for the nitty gritty.

Feats for this sort of thing include Improved Grapple, Scorpion's Grasp... and a couple others whose names escape me right now that further increase damage during pins and such. Armor Spikes are always good.

bigbaddragon
2008-01-19, 07:48 AM
Powers:
Vigor (just damn useful)

What is Vigor and where is it from (I can't remember seeing it in EPH)?

Feats for this sort of thing include Improved Grapple, Scorpion's Grasp...

What does Scorpion's Grasp feat do and where does it come from?

My ideas so far are: Combat Expertize, Improved Trip, Improved Disarm maybe (for pesky rangers and their Arrow Mind), Stand Still, Combat Form tree (Focus, Stability and Vigor), Stand Still, probably gonna pick something from Tome of Battle too (I need some good recommendation here since I'm pretty unfamiliar with ToB). If I go with Elans there are two racial feats I'd like to pick up. This would leave me with 2-3 free feats, any ideas besides Expanded Knowledge?

Any ideas how to solve low power point per day issue? I already planned to begin with +4 wisdom item.

CASTLEMIKE
2008-01-19, 11:04 AM
Psychic Warrior - 10 is nice but so is Ranger - 1, Psion - 6*, Slayer -3 which is an effective psion - 8 with more power points capable of manifesting up to 9PP for losing 2 PW -10 bonus feats and a half dozen hit points.

AlterForm
2008-01-19, 11:28 AM
Vigor (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/vigor.htm)

Basically, spend PP to gain Temp HP. 1 PP = 5 THP.