PDA

View Full Version : Bloodborn and Shell [Undead Template]

Icewalker
2008-01-18, 08:00 PM
Shells and Bloodborn

Shells and Bloodborn are new types of undead created in an Aztec based culture. They are extremely unusual, as both a Shell and a Bloodborn are created from the same body, as part of one ritual.

The Shell is a traditional mindless shambling undead. Except that it is not rotting flesh, but merely the skin and bones of the base creature. However, the skin does not hang from the bones loosely, but stays spread out, as if there was still the rest of the internal body within it, billowing eerily when cut. Inside of the skin is the moving skeleton.

The Bloodborn however are very unusual. They are not inherently evil in any way, and in fact Bloodborn will keep the alignment of the base creature, as they are actually intelligent. Through the Ritual of the Erudite Mind, a Bloodborn can be made to retain its memory, but regardless of this they do keep their level of intellect. A Bloodborn consists of the capillary system of a creature, a series of dense floating veins, animated by magic forces. As such, it lacks many of the unusual properties the undead boast.

Shell
“Shell” is a template that can be added to any non-undead, corporeal creature with a skeletal system and skin (referred to hereafter as the base creature). The creature’s type changes to undead. It retains all type modifiers and subtypes, if applicable. Shells use all the base creatures statistics and special abilities except as noted here.
Hit Dice: Increase to d12
Speed: Shells move speed remains the same as the original creatures speed.
AC: Shells use their previous natural armor bonus, but reduced by 1 if there is a previous bonus. (+3 becomes +2, +1 becomes +0, but +0 remains at 0)
Attacks: Shells retain all the natural attacks of the base creatures.
Special Qualities: Same as the base creature. In addition, all Shells gain darkvision with a range of 60 ft., undead traits, and various immunities.
Immunities (Ex): Shells have cold immunity. Because they lack flesh or internal organs they take only half damage from piercing weapons.
Saves: Same as the base creature, modified by ability score adjustments.
Abilities: Modify the base creature as follows: Str -2, Dex: -2, Con –, Int –, Wis +0, Cha -2.
Skills: Shells lose all skills because they are mindless.
Feats: Shells lose all feats except for those pertaining to things like using natural weapons, such as multi-attack, because they are mindless.

Bloodborn
Bloodborn is a template that can be added to any non-undead corporeal creature that has a capillary system and brain (referred to hereafter as the base creature). The creature’s type changes to undead. It retains all type modifiers and subtypes, if applicable. Shells use all the base creatures statistics and special abilities except as noted here.
Hit Dice: Increase to d12
Speed: Bloodborn move speed remains the same as the original creatures speed.
AC: Bloodborn have no natural armor bonus, and lose any natural armor bonuses of the base creature.
Attacks: Bloodborn gain no natural attacks. They lose any natural attacks of the base creature that is not used solely by the brain, blood, or poison.
Special Qualities: Same as the base creature. In addition, all Bloodborn gain lifesense 30 ft., undead traits (with variations), and various immunities.
Lifesense (Su): A Bloodborn notices and locates living creatures within 30 ft., just as if it possessed the blindsight ability. It also senses the strength of their life force automatically, as if it had cast deathwatch.
Immunities: Bloodborn, because they consist of only a capillary system, take half damage from bludgeoning and piercing weapons.
Differences in Undead Traits for Bloodborn: Unlike most undead, Bloodborn have a constitution score. Bloodborn always retain their intelligence score. Bloodborn are not immune to poisons or diseases that affect the blood or immune system. Bloodborn are not necessarily immune to anything requiring a fortitude save. Bloodborn are not immune to mind-affecting effects. Bloodborn are not creatures born of negative energy, and as such are healed by positive energy and hurt by negative energy, like living creatures. Instead of being immune to critical hits, Bloodborn have moderate fortification, giving them a 75% chance to take normal damage instead of increased damage from critical hits or sneak attacks. Bloodborn are not immediately destroyed upon reaching 0 hit-points, but bleed to death at -10 at a rate of -2 hit points per round instead of -1. If resurrection is attempted, the Bloodborn cannot be returned to its previously non-undead form unless its respective shell has been destroyed.
Saves: Same as the base creature modified by ability score adjustments.
Abilities: Modify the base creature as follows: Str: -2, Dex: +2, Con: -2, Int: +0, Wis: +0, Cha +0.
Skills: Bloodborn retain all the skills of the base creature.
Feats: Bloodborn retain all the feats of the base creature.

Ritual of the Erudite Mind: this is a secondary ritual to be executed at any time after the ritual that creates the Shell and Bloodborn. It can only be done if the brain of the body is still intact/preserved however. The ritual involves burning the brain, and pouring the ash into the mesh of capillary veins where the Bloodborn's head used to be. When this ritual is completed the Bloodborn regains the memories it had while it was alive, but does not lose any memories gained while alive as a Bloodborn.

[hr]
So, what do you think? Balanced? I haven't written up exactly what the ritual entails, but I'll probably get around to it.

Would it be overpowered if the Bloodborn didn't have -2 to strength?

DracoDei
2008-01-19, 02:51 AM
Overpowered for what specificially?
I ask because you didn't give a CR adjustment formula. A minor oversight, but an important one.
I would give you my thoughts based on the idea that you meant CR is unchanged, except that that is obviously wrong for something becoming a mindless undead (which the first one is).

If you mean balanced for how many undead a necromancer/necromantic cleric can control... well it depends on the level and complexity of the rituals. Turn resistance can help with this in some cases.

Icewalker
2008-01-19, 02:55 PM
Well, Bloodborn is supposed to be a LA+0 PC race. I have somebody that wants to play a more physical class with it, so if the strength reduction and/or con reduction were removed what would be needed to put it at +0? Remove Lifesense and the dex bonus? Maybe something else?

jagadaishio
2008-02-21, 06:55 PM
I would like to know the full details of this ritual. Also, is the shell under the control of its bloodborn twin, or under the control of its creator? As more of a fluff note than anything else, what do they do with the muscles and organs? Is the shell eyeless, since it's (quite literally) skin and bones?

I like the concept a lot. I would also like a physical description, to know if the veins and arteries coil together or remain spread and branched out. After all, if they all coil together, they're very skinny, almost whip-like. That is, unless they still have the muscles attached to the circulatory system.

Do they still have the same articulated joints, or are their limbs and appendages more like branching tentacles? Do the bloodborn have eyes? If so, are they the original eyes or big coiled balls of blood vessels?

I think that the lifesense almost requires that it have a level adjustment of at least +1, as sad as that makes me to say. Blindsight is one of those abilities which you are almost required to penalize someone extensively for or give them a bit of a level adjustment.

I hope that helps. This is really cool.