PDA

View Full Version : I need help building a "Kyton"...

Dullyanna
2008-01-19, 09:24 PM
... But not an actual Kyton (I dislike their Savage Species progression), i.e. something that essentially looks and functions as one, to be used as a PC. My thoughts are to use a changeling (To sort of mimic the Unnerving Gaze ability, at least in spirit), and a psionic class (IMO, psion-types would have an easier time mimicking a kyton's abilities than mages/bards). My problem is that I can't decide which class to take, as psy-warriors get bonus feats, more powers, and a slightly better hit die, whereas Wilders, although generally weaker, get more PP, a higher level of powers, and a wider range of available power. I'm pretty iffy on which power and feats to select, as well.

P.S. I'd prefer a lower level build(i.e. lv. 3-6), and then some general advice on what direction I should take from there.

RTGoodman
2008-01-19, 09:38 PM
Well, you might consider the Hellbred races from FCII if you have access to the book. They're pretty creepy looking, so that works (and gives +2 to Intimidate), and they can use evil-aligned stuff without penalty, even if they're not evil. The Spirit Aspect gets +2 Cha (which is good if you go the Wilder route), darkvision, and telepathy, while the the Body Aspect gets +2 Con and some bonus Devil-Touched feats, which could help out playing up the Chain Devil-ness of the character.

For feats, you're probably going to want EWP (Spiked Chain). As far as classes, though, I'm not sure, though you might want some Exotic Weapon Master or whatever it's called (from Complete Warrior) to give you some more tricks with your chain.

Eldaran
2008-01-19, 09:48 PM
Why not just be a Master of Chains from Sword and Fist, it essentially is a Kyton.

Dullyanna
2008-01-19, 09:53 PM
@rtg0922:I was planning to use a spiked chain all along. Anyway: While I know hellbred are nice (Although I currently don't have access to the book), changelings have that unique little shapeshifting ability, which ties in really well with Unnerving Gaze, in my opinion. with that plus a little bit of telepathy (Which Psy-warriors don't have easy access to, if I remember correctly). And EWM gives you a nifty little flurry ability w/ a spiked chain (And little else), which may or may not be worth -1 to manifester lv. It depends on whether I lean towards casting (Wilder) or tricksy fighting (Psy-warrior).

Edit:@Eldaran: I don't know what that PrC is, but the reason I'm using psionics is so I can better mimic a kyton's abilities, which entails more than your typical spiked-chain fighter build. Unless the PrC has some unique tricks up it's sleeve... which I currently have no way of knowing.

RTGoodman
2008-01-19, 09:55 PM
Why not just be a Master of Chains from Sword and Fist, it essentially is a Kyton.

I'm not sure (I've never seen S&F), but it's 3.0 and I think that the Master of Chains was just updated into the Exotic Weapon Master (from CW), but allows you to pick the weapon. I could be wrong though.

EDIT: Ninja'd by the OP! Anyway, I didn't actually realize that the Kyton's ability was a shapeshifting thing - I thought it was just scary to look at. I'm not sure about replicating the exact ability, but there are numerous ways of gaining abilities that give you fear effects and stuff. (There was a whole build on here not long ago about that, but I can't search for it for another 250 seconds). Psychic Warrior is the way I would probably go, so you would be right about not wanting to lose precious manifester levels for EWM.

Dullyanna
2008-01-21, 12:15 AM
I've rolled up most a basic character to give everybody (Including myself) a sense of where the hell I'm going with this:

Changeling Psy-warrior5, Warmind1
STR:13
DEX:14
CON:12
INT:14
WIS:15 (+1 @lv4)
CHA:9

BAB:4

Skill Points:36 (12 are needed for Warmind prereqs)

PP:16 (9 from classes, 7 from WIS bonus)

Powers (In the order that they're taken):
Metaphysical weapon, force screen, expansion, Animal affinity, psionic lion's charge, offensive prescience

Feats:
EWP:Spiked Chain
Combat Reflexes
Weapon Finesse
Psionic Weapon
Blind-Fight
Reckless Offence

I'd go for some movement oriented powers in the following levels, but I'm not at all sure on what to do beyond that.

Eldaran
2008-01-22, 06:08 PM
The master of chains can cause fear and animate chains like a Kyton, can wear chains are armour (really good armour), can spin his chains to deflect attacks, can attack while climbing, and has some damaging abilities. Oh, and he gets an awesome attack where he wraps his chains around something above him and does a swing attack.

Dullyanna
2008-01-22, 07:23 PM
Ah, now those are pretty damn neat tricks. Unfortunately I don't have access to S&F... Furthermore, it's out of print, right?

Mewtarthio
2008-01-22, 07:40 PM
I'm not sure if Changeling is really what you want. You'd have to research your target if you wanted to find a loved one, and in the mean time you'd be stuck with a thematically inappropriate shapeshifting ability. Just ask your DM if you can play another race and just say you've got the ability to take the face of someone's dead loved one with no mechanical benefits.