PDA

View Full Version : Feed me character ideas

LibraryOgre
2008-01-19, 10:11 PM
Ok, here's the situation. I'm going to be playing in a one-shot on Monday with some friends of mine, and I want some character ideas. The ECL is going to be 5. We rarely play with much LA, never with psionics, and don't use much outside the Core 3, the Races of, and the Complete Arcane, Divine, Warrior and Adventurer... and things not the core 3 sparingly.

The only characters who are semi-firm in a party of about 4 or 5 are a wizard and a paladin. I usually play a skill monkey (with them, I've been a bard/cloistered cleric, a bard, and a cloistered cleric/prestige class), but I'm wide open to suggestions... but I don't play evil, especially not in a one-shot for fun.

Give me ideas.

Hzurr
2008-01-19, 10:16 PM
Hmm... Just a thought, since I don't know your DM (although my guess is that he is as handsome as he is intelligent and dashing. And awesome), but a bard would be very useful, as would an additional heavy hitter. Something is also telling me that one of the other players is looking seriously at a cleric, so the party should be good for divine power.

LibraryOgre
2008-01-19, 10:28 PM
Hmm... Just a thought, since I don't know your DM (although my guess is that he is as handsome as he is intelligent and dashing. And awesome)

We convinced Wes to DM?

:smallbiggrin:

Yes, yes, this means my character dies in the tavern. I know. But it had to be said.

VanBuren
2008-01-19, 10:39 PM
I suggest a Half-Orc Monk with plenty of Charisma and Intelligence. You'll be the talk of the table. :smalltongue:

LibraryOgre
2008-01-19, 11:18 PM
I suggest a Half-Orc Monk with plenty of Charisma and Intelligence. You'll be the talk of the table. :smalltongue:

Really, with one of our players, odds are good we have a monk. I'm somewhat leaning towards a bard, a dragon shaman, or a marshall... same basic function in all of them.

Vella_Malachite
2008-01-19, 11:54 PM
Just my two cents;

It doesn't matter what character you go for, although I'd personally go for the dragon shaman, just put in a really weird bio and give them some quirky habits because of that (in my current game, I'm mildly insane, but that's a little over-the-top for a one-shot), like twitchiness or the inability to say certain words.

:belkar: Sky's the limit.

RTGoodman
2008-01-19, 11:58 PM
You mention that you usually play skill monkeys - how about playing a Warlock? It isn't really a "skill monkey," but it can do all sorts of things depending on the invocations you pick. And if you don't like it, maybe the Dragonfire Adept for more draconic flavor.

VanBuren
2008-01-20, 12:35 AM
Really, with one of our players, odds are good we have a monk. I'm somewhat leaning towards a bard, a dragon shaman, or a marshall... same basic function in all of them.

I was actually trying to be facetious by telling you to combine the most underpowered core race with the most underpowered core class and put your points into the two stats that don't really benefit your class at all. Granted, I knew you wouldn't take me seriously...

Fenix_of_Doom
2008-01-20, 10:55 AM
You could try Beguiler, although it is PH II, it's a class I've always wanted to try.
You can be a skill monkey about as good as a bard, but instead of singing and bard magic you get sorcerer spell casting with a spell list limited to enchantment and illusion.

Freelance Henchman
2008-01-20, 11:08 AM
I was actually trying to be facetious by telling you to combine the most underpowered core race with the most underpowered core class and put your points into the two stats that don't really benefit your class at all. Granted, I knew you wouldn't take me seriously...

Actually, a Monk with great CHA and INT will be able to mimic a caster of some sort by putting all his skills points into UMD, making him nearly unstoppable. It's a foolproof strategy! :smallwink:

CASTLEMIKE
2008-01-20, 02:34 PM
Villain's Lorebook at Wizard's (Third from the bottom) just do a 180:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/downloads

Human

Just Core:

Druid - 5 or Battle Sorcerer or Favored Soul - 5 for a one shot game.

Rogue - 2 depending on DM and how much use your PC would normally get out of having Evasion, Clericist - 3 or (1 +2 other class levels to taste)

Rogue -1, Factotum -3*, Rogue +1 or Sword Sage or Warblade -1 (for some 1st and 2nd level manuevers) or Cloistered Cleric - 1 for a skill monkey.

Barbarian -1, (F-2, Ranger - 1 or Sword Sage* or Crusader* - 1) or Swashbuckler -3, Warblade* -1 for a one shot fighter type.

Beguiler* -5 for a spellcasting spell monkey.

That single level of Dragon Shaman* is nice for party healing.

* Might not be an option for classes.

Person_Man
2008-01-20, 03:17 PM
Adept of Darkness (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57352) Warlock/Rogue? 20% concealment and Hide in Plain Site is pretty hard to beat at ECL 5.

A Marshal 2/Dragon Shaman 3 is definitely playable for a one shot as well. Though you'd need access to Dragon Magic if you wanted to take the extra aura feat on the Dragon side.

Maybe a Druid or Wildshape Ranger. ECL 5 is when Wildshape kicks in, but you'd only be able to use it once per day.

Randel
2008-01-20, 03:48 PM
How about a gnomish bard who wears a green suit, a top hat, and wields a Shillelagh (cane with a heavy head to work as a club)?

Bonus points if he has a specially made Bag of Holding that turns into a metal pot when activated where he can store all of his gold.

Consider spells like hideous laughter, fly, and if your DM will allow it: color spray.

Oeep Snaec
2008-01-20, 04:05 PM
You could go with a combat rogue that has two hand crossbows, two melee weapons (Of course they should be able to benefit from weapon finesse, so shortswords or rapiers(?), or one of each).

FlyMolo
2008-01-20, 04:55 PM
Pity there's no psionics. Otherwise you could play a thri-keen fighter with two spiked chains, combat reflexes, two-weapon fighting, and some other cool stuff. Then go into War Mind and get sweeping strike and some manifesting.

As is, go for a warlock or Dragonfire adept for a couple levels to pick up some useful invocations, then spellthief. Do anything magical, plus blow stuff up.

Pronounceable
2008-01-20, 05:11 PM

Nah. Play a commoner to be the talk of the table... You'll forever be remembered by everyone involved.

LibraryOgre
2008-01-21, 11:24 PM
1) I see why Hzurr suggested a Bard... but we needed someone to be a front-liner, and so I went with a ranger.

2) For all my "I don't play evil", I went with a goblin ranger, mounted on a wolf. At 6th level, this guy becomes nasty. At 5th level, he's a bit scary, especially since most of our opposition was goblinoids and giants (our DM did tell me whether certain types would be good or bad ideas for favored enemies, which was decent of him).

3) Of the 5 characters, 3 were mounted (a goblin ranger, a halfling druid, a human paladin), 4 were heavily influenced by their class companions (we declared that the wizard's raven familiar, with it's 5th level wand of magic missile, was indeed our party wizard, since it was often more effective than our often-unconscious wizard).

4) Lastly, anyone got suggestions on a feat at 6th level? I'm currently a two-weapon ranger, with Mounted Combat and Improved Shield Bash. My stats run 16, 17, 14, 9, 12, 5.

Parvum
2008-01-22, 12:45 AM
[QUOTE=FlyMolo;3812219]Pity there's no psionics. Otherwise you could play a thri-keen fighter with two spiked chains, combat reflexes, two-weapon fighting, and some other cool stuff. QUOTE]

Non-psionic thri-kreens are available, and also superior. Because +30 to jump checks is just fun.

Feat: Spirited Charge. I beleive there was also a 'two lance death machine' somewhere in this forum recently...

LibraryOgre
2008-01-22, 12:55 AM
Feat: Spirited Charge. I beleive there was also a 'two lance death machine' somewhere in this forum recently...

Two lances doesn't fit with his style, and I don't have Ride-by-Attack.

I do have to say, though, that playing the character got me interested in working on Races of Savagery again, though. I might, at some point. Still trying to get a handle on the new job, to launch a 150 page project that might or might not pay.

Glyphic
2008-01-22, 12:56 AM
Kobold Aristocrat.

Takea pair of fox hounds and your best reptilian-english accent and have fun paying the rest of your party to do your work.

Shademan
2008-01-22, 02:56 AM
marshal i say. i retired general or something. really old, relly bitter and with a unhealthy reletionship to alcohol.

mabriss lethe
2008-01-22, 08:36 PM
Death devotion from complete champion.

1/day for 1 minute, you can dish out negative levels with your attacks.