PDA

View Full Version : Could you do this

de-trick
2008-01-19, 11:17 PM
If you die instead of being resurrected by the spell, just travel through the planes to get to the material plane once more.

this is mainly to make my character to finish a quest, to destroy the Big boss.

The character in question is a favored soul of lathander 6th 2nd level master of radiance

Bag_of_Holding
2008-01-19, 11:41 PM
Ask Lathander.

Sofaking
2008-01-19, 11:45 PM
Ummm... I don't think you would have a body. Would you? Maybe a ghost or something.

shaggz076
2008-01-19, 11:59 PM
I can see where you are trying to go with this. You are trying to get out of losing the level for resurection by traveling from whichever plane you end up on back to the material plane, much like a demon does when it is summoned to the material plane. It is a good idea but if I were your DM I would either tell you no or make it so that the time flow is slower so every day on the other planes equals out to about a month on the material plane therefore you would still be behind by about a level when you finally did make it back.

ZeroNumerous
2008-01-20, 12:14 AM
If you have the Plane Shift spell, then yes, you could.

You'd lack a body and would be ethereal when you shift, but it's possible.

Voyager_I
2008-01-20, 12:47 AM
Not per the relevant passage of the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineMinions.htm#petitioners), no. Dead souls become petitioners, which essentially can't do anything. However, you're free to houserule it as you please, and going on an extraplanar soul-recovery mission could make a good campaign hook.

hamishspence
2008-01-20, 01:36 PM
By Complete Divine rules, petitioners are MUCH weaker than characters. as a 2HD outsider it is not fun to play.

Complete Divine also introduces Souls: the concept of a bodiless soul which only observes, it does not really interact. Though it can be absorbed into the plane eventually, or be eaten by archfiends, if on the fiendish planes.

Devils_Advocate
2008-01-20, 02:58 PM
Nice non-descriptive thread title.

How the afterlife works is one of those things that doesn't just vary between campaign settings, but often isn't even clearly specified in the official material. This translates to "Ask your DM."

I think that in the default cosmology, petitioners lack memories of their mortal lives, and also can't leave their planes. After you die, you basically become part of one of the outer planes. So you're pretty much stuck there unless/until someone resurrects you.

Petitioners in the Forgotten Realms come back in the Fugue Plane to start with, where they're rounded up by representatives of their respective deities and taken to the appropriate afterlives. Those who did not worship a deity in life are screwed, and pretty badly, too. I dunno whether they keep their mortal memories or not; if they did, that would help to make up for the Realms' "Worship a god, or else" thingy.

If I were your DM, I would rule that petitioners in the Realms can't leave their respective outer planes, despite the oddity that they do in fact start in a different plane before moving on to their final destinations. Why? Because if they can, then I have to either come up with a reason why petitioners don't regularly visit the mortal world, or decide that petitioners do regularly visit the mortal world, and what the implications of that are. And I'm pretty sure that the official setting material makes no mention of that happening.

If I decided that petitioners do retain their memories from their mortal lives, then I'd have to say that they definitely can't travel back to the Prime Material, on the grounds that if that were possible, every damn dead adventurer with unfinished business on the material plane would do it. Now, you could make a setting where that actually happened, but it would be quite unusual. There would be little point to spells that raise the dead. And as such, the fact that such spells exist should serve as an indication that normal settings don't work that way.

I'd also rule that you don't come back from the dead with any memories of the afterlife, mostly because that way I don't have to provide a description of his afterlife for every character that dies. Call me lazy.

Basically, to convince any remotely sensible DM to allow this, you'd have to come up with an explanation of how the normal reasons that people don't travel back from the afterlife don't apply to your character. (Special attention from his god doesn't work too well as an explanation, IMO. Is this matter just important enough to attract Lathander's attention and cause him to intervene, but not quite so important enough for him to just dispatch an angel to take care of it? That's an awfully specific level of important.) Of course, a really generous DM might just come up with an explanation for you. And a DM needs to be pretty generous in the first place to just let a character come back from the dead for free.

de-trick
2008-01-20, 11:51 PM
My character is the 2nd last original party member(other is NPC) who's uncle is the BBEG. And vowed to destroy him, because he destroyed my hometown. Also the BBEG is a vampire baron, and I a member of the order of the aster

ForzaFiori
2008-01-20, 11:58 PM
i would think yes, but you'd be ethereal and a petitioner, neither of which would be fun.

so its possible, but not really worth it.