PDA

View Full Version : 1001 Elder Evil Ideas

Leliel
2008-01-20, 06:36 PM
So, if you have the book of the same name, you know that the Elder Evils are big, world-destroying monsters that may or may not be truly defeated. But the book itself is slim, and so I created this thread to hear people's ideas for them. I'll start with these.

1. A druidic weapon that attacks "overdevloped" civilizations by increasing the rate of evolution in non-sentient creatures to an absurd rate, and then sending them to destroy the cities.

2. A robotic starship deployed to destroy any traces of a "Precursor" type race. Given that humanity was created by said race, we may as well kiss our a**es goodbye when it shows up.

3. A being of primordial Law, with the intention to "bring order to" any living world...by destroying all life that may be a threat to Law.

Citizen Jenkins
2008-01-20, 06:49 PM
Take this,
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4158/is_20000806/ai_n14338782

Make it sentient and have fun.

For added fun, throw in that demon queen who specializes in fungus.

Gralamin
2008-01-20, 06:58 PM
We'll call Citizen Jenkins' post #4

#5 - a being that devours Incarnum, its goal to destroy the gods by erasing their followers.

bugsysservant
2008-01-20, 07:03 PM
1. A druidic weapon that attacks "overdevloped" civilizations by increasing the rate of evolution in non-sentient creatures to an absurd rate, and then sending them to destroy the cities.

How would this even work? Mutation? That's more likely to kill the organism than give it city crushing powers. Also, evolution, despite popular opinion, is not always about getting bigger and stronger. Hit a dinosaur and watch it turn into a parakeet (yes, I've heard all the theories about Proto avius and whatnot. But you get my point.) Hell, the Earth used to have ten foot long bugs. Hit one of those and you'll watch a valid threat to mankind turn into a blood sucking nuisance.

Illiterate Scribe
2008-01-20, 07:13 PM
How would this even work? Mutation? That's more likely to kill the organism than give it city crushing powers. Also, evolution, despite popular opinion, is not always about getting bigger and stronger. Hit a dinosaur and watch it turn into a parakeet (yes, I've heard all the theories about Proto avius and whatnot. But you get my point.) Hell, the Earth used to have ten foot long bugs. Hit one of those and you'll watch a valid threat to mankind turn into a blood sucking nuisance.

What is this science of which you speak? :smallwink:

Also, I would post constructively here, but my current idea's already going towards a campaign I'm running PbP, and I don't trust Festy, Axelgear, and co to avert their eyes ...

Saucy_Ninja
2008-01-20, 07:22 PM

3 words: Illithids in Spaceships.

Gralamin
2008-01-20, 07:25 PM

THHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
(Thoon)

Saucy_Ninja
2008-01-20, 07:26 PM
THHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
(Thoon)

WIN!:smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin:

Illiterate Scribe
2008-01-20, 07:32 PM

#7 M-----f------ Yuan ti on this m-----f------ material plane. Perhaps your PCs are tired of them, and want them off it.

Guildorn Tanaleth
2008-01-20, 08:32 PM
8. When the overdeity created the multiverse, He also made a being capable of destroying anything desired in case Creation started to get out of control. Then he put it into hibernation (or similar) on a far-off demiplane, and now a cult has found it & is trying to reawaken it. The PCs are the only ones that can stop it, because the overdeity, like all overdeities, is a mysterious jerk.

F.L.
2008-01-20, 08:44 PM

At one point I was going to try to make a magical item as a Wu Jen:

Glowing green rocks of giant size, but the price was so very high.

History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of man.

Ganurath
2008-01-20, 09:54 PM
9. Tharizdun

10. The truth behind The Vital Pact (Malconvoker)

11. Devils lose the Blood War

Callos_DeTerran
2008-01-20, 10:29 PM
11. Devils lose the Blood War

Blasphemy! *frothes at the mouth and shakes holy symbol of Asmodeus at*

....er. I do believe that we're supposed to suggest specific menaces not like..I dunno...a race or something non-sentient and in that line of though...

12. Bas-Thum, the Creature Below, an Elder Evil that has slowly been devouring the world from below up, the PC's job is to stop it before it devours the crust they live on.

Lizardfolk Lich
2008-01-20, 10:32 PM
(Thoon)

What is Thoon?

Lady Tialait
2008-01-20, 10:34 PM
8. When the overdeity created the multiverse, He also made a being capable of destroying anything desired in case Creation started to get out of control. Then he put it into hibernation (or similar) on a far-off demiplane, and now a cult has found it & is trying to reawaken it. The PCs are the only ones that can stop it, because the overdeity, like all overdeities, is a mysterious jerk.

You sir, win the internet....take your cookie.

Mewtarthio
2008-01-20, 10:36 PM

:smallfurious:

Curse you, Mohinder Suresh!
Curse you, Charles Xavier!
Curse you, Hollywood!
Why? Charles Darwin never did anything to you! Why must you torment him in his grave?

Nonanonymous
2008-01-20, 11:02 PM
I'm not sure if it's an elder evil, per se, but a demonhive queen with epic caster progression and/or deific status might do the trick. Maybe even a few tirbana spawners with class levels and linked into the hive mind as her personal guards/elite assassins.

With their aggressive and bloodthirsty members, demonhives threaten all creatures they encounter and lay waste to the areas they inhabit. If they were allowed to continue their rampage unchecked, demonhives might spread across entire planes.

AslanCross
2008-01-20, 11:24 PM
What is Thoon?

THOON IS ALL, THOON IS THOON!

...it's something that was introduced into Monster Manual V. A "something" that is being worshiped by a peculiar sect of Illithids who went to the Far Realm and came back. Those particular Illithids (and their Elder Brain) came back changed. They now actively search for quintessence and use it to fuel an army of constructs.

Hyrael
2008-01-21, 12:33 AM
Very creepy, alive-looking constructs at that.

Thoon is all, Thoon is Thoon!

(damn, thats surprisingly hard to type)

12. The Sidh have finnaly had enough of mortals, and the natural world becomes increasingly dark and chokeing, with baby-eating faeries causing the infant mortality rate to skyrocket, anyone who walks near a tree gets bludgeoned and strangled, and I'm not even going to TELL you what happens if you dont keep a horseshoe nailed above your door. But I will give you a hint: it involves spiders.

AslanCross
2008-01-21, 12:50 AM
13. A primordial force of water (maybe some epic elemental or an ancient, otherworldly progenitor of krakens) is reawakening. Rivers begin flowing backward with disastrous results, fishkills and red tides make the fishing trade all but impossible, and huge sea creatures (krakens and leviathans) are found in places they've never been to before. Even sea-dwelling races such as sahuagin are forced to raid ships more and more frequently in a mad attempt to escape the threat that is brewing. Entire islands are wiped off the face of the ocean by tsunamis, and large coastal cities fear they are next.
The only way to solve the problem is to put the ancient Deep One back to sleep (or banish it to the Abyss, if possible)---but this involves sailing straight into the perpetual hurricane that rages above its ancient den.

14. Inspired by the people who write our schedules here at school:
A mysterious cosmic force of temporal chaos is attacking the fabric of time. At first, people experience increasingly eerie instances of deja vu, but others begin noticing disruptions in their daily habits and go mad.
Anachronisms appear due to portions of the time continuum being shunted back and forth as the cosmos is slowly eaten into. Seasons fall into disarray, causing crops to fail. Eventually, huge rifts in reality appear---at first, they don't really do anything outright harmful, only chaotically altering the appearance of buildings by mashing together architectural styles from different time periods. However, entire cities experience cataclysmic explosions as the fabric of reality in those areas begins to fail, leaving yawning "holes" that lead to the Astral Plane.
Wizards calculate the epicenter of the next large temporal crash in the middle of a large city and theorize that the only way to stop this is to open a gate to the Astral Plane before it happens---and kill whatever it is on the other side before it causes a total temporal failure.

Blackdrop
2008-01-21, 01:50 AM
14. Inspired by the people who write our schedules here at school:
A mysterious cosmic force of temporal chaos is attacking the fabric of time. At first, people experience increasingly eerie instances of deja vu, but others begin noticing disruptions in their daily habits and go mad.
Anachronisms appear due to portions of the time continuum being shunted back and forth as the cosmos is slowly eaten into. Seasons fall into disarray, causing crops to fail. Eventually, huge rifts in reality appear---at first, they don't really do anything outright harmful, only chaotically altering the appearance of buildings by mashing together architectural styles from different time periods. However, entire cities experience cataclysmic explosions as the fabric of reality in those areas begins to fail, leaving yawning "holes" that lead to the Astral Plane.
Wizards calculate the epicenter of the next large temporal crash in the middle of a large city and theorize that the only way to stop this is to open a gate to the Astral Plane before it happens---and kill whatever it is on the other side before it causes a total temporal failure.

What the hell goes on at your school?!

Icewalker
2008-01-21, 02:11 AM

My DM did this...the ship crashed into the main city, and the PCs explored it, and it had Illithids on it. Then, they all got some unusual mutation that gave them some awesome new thing (the werewolf got wings :smallcool: )

History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of man.

15. Godzilla?

Demented
2008-01-21, 03:19 AM
16. Lg-Thzha, the Ectogen, a beast of corroding lipidic fire, possessor of mad souls and source of the ectic-kin, the many vaporous incarnations of sin that orbit around Lg-Thzha's eternal lair. Every once in (gurble) years, Lg-Thzha's lair is ruptured by (glargle) unleashing some small number of the chaotic ectic-kin to terrorize and destroy, until somebody calls the Ghostbusters. But, supposing there were a larger breach...

17. The Cloverfield monster.

18. 300 Spartans.

19. 300 S.P.A.R.T.A.N.S.

20. Colossal Squid (http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=colossal+squid), epic-sized. The thing's got an usual profile for a squid: Huge body, shorter limbs, and stark red. Also, not very visible, but certainly notable, is that the thing's got some seriously nasty hooks in its suckers.

21. John Carmack's head on a stick.

Dervag
2008-01-21, 03:51 AM
13. A primordial force of water (maybe some epic elemental or an ancient, otherworldly progenitor of krakens) is reawakening. Rivers begin flowing backward with disastrous results, fishkills and red tides make the fishing trade all but impossible, and huge sea creatures (krakens and leviathans) are found in places they've never been to before. Even sea-dwelling races such as sahuagin are forced to raid ships more and more frequently in a mad attempt to escape the threat that is brewing. Entire islands are wiped off the face of the ocean by tsunamis, and large coastal cities fear they are next.
The only way to solve the problem is to put the ancient Deep One back to sleep (or banish it to the Abyss, if possible)---but this involves sailing straight into the perpetual hurricane that rages above its ancient den.That is not dead which doth eternal lie, and all that?

18. 300 Spartans.

19. 300 S.P.A.R.T.A.N.S.Behold! (http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php?d=20070919)

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-01-21, 04:42 AM
22. Cthulhu's creator manifests physical form.

mabriss lethe
2008-01-21, 04:59 AM
Something dark and fungal breaks through from the Shadow Plane. It devours magic creating vast coral reef like ranges in areas across the globe where magic ceases to function. Soon people and animals become infected with the spores, causing strange mutations and granting them powerful defenses against magic. Eventually a god falls prey to it and that twisted mockery of divinity sets out with his horde of infected slaves to devour the planes.

mabriss lethe
2008-01-21, 05:02 AM
Something dark and fungal breaks through from the Shadow Plane. It devours magic creating vast coral reef like ranges in areas across the globe where magic ceases to function. Soon people and animals become infected with the spores, causing strange mutations and granting them powerful defenses against magic. Eventually a god falls prey to it and that twisted mockery of divinity sets out with his horde of infected slaves to devour the planes.

AslanCross
2008-01-21, 07:07 AM
That is not dead which doth eternal lie, and all that?

Yeah. I believe there actually was a Lovecraftian adventure posted on WotC recently, featuring Dagon.

Err, temporal chaos? We lack teachers and rooms, so schedules and room assignments are shuffled into almost random order to make up for teachers having different official times. And they change them every year. As such it's rather difficult to find a rhythm and often schedules seem to implode, causing conflicts, shunted deadlines, short tempers and lost minds.

TheOtherMC
2008-01-21, 07:16 AM
22. Cthulhu's creator manifests physical form.

And thus, Howard Philip Lovecraft begins his reign of blood and terror!!!

Lady Tialait
2008-01-21, 07:28 AM
And thus, Howard Philip Lovecraft begins his reign of blood and terror!!!

You win one Internet too...you may collect your cookie.

23. An Ex-Palidan Vampire who is the spawn of the orginal Vampire has gained enough age to walk during the daylight (with Strad-like abilities anyways) This twisted man has also gained a part of his Valor back, as such he goes to scour the world of all Evil, killing Thousands of Evil creatures by Daylight, but at night his bloodlust sends him into a frenzy and he kills thousands of Good creatures.

Solo
2008-01-21, 11:28 AM

You mean what goes on a the Miskatonic University?

Fishy
2008-01-21, 12:06 PM
I prefer universal and uncontrollable plant growth to 'evolution' weapons, for my evil forces of nature. Anyway, on with the evil!

24) While we're being mean to Rogues, how about a campaign filled with Living Spells? Suppose Magic doesn't work the way we think it does: Spells don't begin and end at a Wizard's command: They're pulled from 'somewhere else' and sent back there. Your cleric's deity has a 'zoo' filled with all of the spells he is able to grant. The demon lord of your campaign used to have one, but when the PCs vanquished him, they broke all the bindings that kept those evil spells contained. And once they've cleaned that up, they have to patch up the hole between the real world and the Magewylds: Inhabited by Living versions of every Epic Spell of every archmage in history, the Divine powers that created the universe, and the spell cast by the Overdeity that created Death.

25) A hole has been poked into the Astral Plane from another 'somewhere else'. Chaos, corruption, and Negative Energy are leaking into the realm of thought and creativity- certain thoughts, ideas, stories, and sciences are becoming literally toxic, turning the thinkers into monsters and madmen. The PCs have a dilemma: a) what the heck is going on, b) how can we fight an *idea*, c) How can we defeat anything without actively thinking about it? The hole may or may not be a 'creature' in some metaphysical sense, it may or may not be intelligent, and it may or may not be an advance scout for something worse.

bugsysservant
2008-01-21, 12:34 PM
25) A hole has been poked into the Astral Plane from another 'somewhere else'. Chaos, corruption, and Negative Energy are leaking into the realm of thought and creativity- certain thoughts, ideas, stories, and sciences are becoming literally toxic, turning the thinkers into monsters and madmen. The PCs have a dilemma: a) what the heck is going on, b) how can we fight an *idea*, c) How can we defeat anything without actively thinking about it? The hole may or may not be a 'creature' in some metaphysical sense, it may or may not be intelligent, and it may or may not be an advance scout for something worse.

Heh, that's awesome. Like playing The Game*, only instead of just saying "I Lose," you turn into a savage monster and devour your friends.

*I Lose.

Freelance Henchman
2008-01-21, 01:20 PM
I think Greg Bear's SF story/novel "Blood Music" might make a great Elder Evil story.

It's about the creation of intelligent white blood cells, that create a society inside the body of the scientist who designed them. They basically repair all his body's defects, redesign his spine and make him totally immune to disease and such. But they also become virulently infectious and in the end transform all of New York City into one giant mass of sentient flesh, formed from the former inhabitants (as well as the contents of the slaughterhouses and any other living matter), which is basically a world of its own. It's been a while since I read it, but that's more or less how it went. In the book the sentient cells were not really malevolent though, they simply wanted to live, which makes the whole thing even more sinister really.

Don't ask me how to fight this thing though, the book ended in a nuclear strike from Russia. Might make an interesting alignment dilemma though, since the former humans who got absorbed are not really dead, but were transformed into sentient cells themselves, and might not necessarily dislike their current state, so nuking the whole thing isn't clear-cut "the good option".

hamishspence
2008-01-21, 03:22 PM
Epic Handbook had much cool stuff. The Elder Evils actually seem to draw heavily on the Abomination stuff, with the Signs being the truly imaginative aspect, LARGE scale effects, not just rampaging monsters.

Cthulu d20 setting was 3rd ed, but should not need too much updating.

However the main gimmick of Elder Evils was the big area, weird things, it's a shame not to use it to theme the Elder Evil adventure, even if the monster itself is one used from other books.

Dendar the Night Serpent, from FR, is called an Elder Evil, she could work well if a good sign (eclipse?) used, since if she wins, she swallows the Sun completely. Make it metaphorical at first by using dimming light, ghostly jaws, heros arrive to face her, in sky above a ghostly serpent seems to be slowly materializing with jaws around dimmed Sun, kill the solid monster on the ground before it is too late.

AslanCross
2008-01-21, 06:37 PM
26. Inspired by Eberron.
Magic begins to fail or go wild randomly all over the world, but the occurrences seem to be centered around the shore of a certain ocean.
This ocean is often traversed by trade ships due to its placid waters. However, more and more ships never return to port. Those who do get away come with news of "A ghastly blue light in the depths" and "spears of fire being hurled into the sky"---and to their horror, entire fleets of wrecked and burned ships are seen scattered near the area where the ocean is deepest.

Eventually, great earthquakes shake the cities of the coast (and swamp them with tsunamis and unpredictable tides) as an immense object rises from the ocean floor. It is a sentient construct at least as large as the world's largest metropolis, built by the ancient race of giants that once ruled the world as a last-resort weapon to fight an invasion from another world. It was completed but never used.
It would power itself with the energy from the rifts that the Outsiders used to enter this world, but now it no longer has that power source, so it siphons magical energy instead. The Weapon was awakened by a fanatic cult that sought to use its power for their own ends, but as its mind gradually regenerates it gains more and more of its sentience back, and devours the life force of the cultists---and initiates its programming: to destroy all non-giant life.

Uriel Valentine
2008-01-21, 07:03 PM
An ancient immortal creature, that no matter how many times it's killed, will always reform itself. As a counter-measure, [god or goddess of your choosing] force-reincarnated it into several, seperate beings after a previous band of heroes smashed it. Sort of like a weird Soul Bind. These beings have no idea who they really are, fragments of an all-powerful monster that kills and destroys just because it can't die and doesn't have much better to do.
Of course, legends and tales get twisted over time.
So your group goes on a crusade to track down and destroy these people, at the request of some kingdom, somewhere, because apparently, a chaotic renegade sect run out of civilisation generations ago is looking to release the power of the beast.
When fighting these guys, after the living form dies (easy battle, it's like a civilian), part of the monster (like a piece thereof, meaning several unique boss monsters over the course of the story) rises from the remains and the real fight begins.
But oops, turns out you were tricked, and the kingdom hopes to use it as an ultimate weapon. Killing the parts of it is exactly the wrong thing to do. Pretty soon you end up with an unstoppable megamonster running around. First you take over the kingdom that used you, then use its resources to fuel a final, epic clash. There'll be some sort of special weapon in that kingdom that can shred souls, final blow HAS to be with that or the fight starts again. >>;;

Jothki
2008-01-21, 08:16 PM
28?

After unintentionally destroying his own realm, a god or similar all-powerful being sends an avatar to harvest matter from other planes so that he can rebuild his domain.

Bonus points to whoever guesses what the avatar's weapon/tool is.

BadJuJu
2008-01-21, 09:56 PM
29. "We are the Borg, prepair to be assimilated..."

Ganurath
2008-01-21, 10:52 PM
Jothki: The Sphere of Annihilation?

30. Vecna comes back.

Leliel
2008-01-22, 11:02 AM
An ancient immortal creature, that no matter how many times it's killed, will always reform itself. As a counter-measure, [god or goddess of your choosing] force-reincarnated it into several, seperate beings after a previous band of heroes smashed it. Sort of like a weird Soul Bind. These beings have no idea who they really are, fragments of an all-powerful monster that kills and destroys just because it can't die and doesn't have much better to do.
Of course, legends and tales get twisted over time.
So your group goes on a crusade to track down and destroy these people, at the request of some kingdom, somewhere, because apparently, a chaotic renegade sect run out of civilisation generations ago is looking to release the power of the beast.
When fighting these guys, after the living form dies (easy battle, it's like a civilian), part of the monster (like a piece thereof, meaning several unique boss monsters over the course of the story) rises from the remains and the real fight begins.
But oops, turns out you were tricked, and the kingdom hopes to use it as an ultimate weapon. Killing the parts of it is exactly the wrong thing to do. Pretty soon you end up with an unstoppable megamonster running around. First you take over the kingdom that used you, then use its resources to fuel a final, epic clash. There'll be some sort of special weapon in that kingdom that can shred souls, final blow HAS to be with that or the fight starts again. >>;;

Attention Mr. Valentine: We regret to inform you that you are being sued by Persona 3's Shadows. They want their motif back.

I'm not saying it isn't a good idea. It just seems plagerized.

Jothki
2008-01-22, 12:29 PM
Jothki: The Sphere of Annihilation?

Half right, at least the sphere part.

Foeofthelance
2008-01-22, 01:13 PM
30?

The Seven, the creators of Hell and the Abyss, have awakened, and are not pleased to find that lesser creatures have taken up residence while they slumbered. As they begin slaughtering their way up from the Final Layer, the Demons flee to the material plane in an effort to escape, while the Devils seek to destroy the Seven. Unfortunately, as the masters of all Evil, the Seven have also inspired new waves of terrors and monsters throughout all of existance. The only way to end the terror is to defeat them, and who can stop the very creatures of a Demonlord's nightmares?

Saucy_Ninja
2008-01-22, 06:08 PM

3 more words: Aboleths grow legs.

Chuck Norris (or Elminster; take your pick) dies and comes back as an aberration.

Forgotten Realms deities planeshift into Eberron.

Gig_Complex
2008-01-22, 06:36 PM
Would require using Dicefreak's Version of the Nine Hells and truth behind them (http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gth669h/TGoH/) But honestly I already use those in my own games as they kick so much ass but here it is,

#34 Asomedues, Satan, however you wish to call the avatar of the Overlord of Hell has finally succeed with his ultimate goal the reformation of his physical body. With this reformation the Overlord absorbs the entirety of the nine hells and all the devil therein. With the reformation of his physical form the Overlord begins his crusade on the rest of the cosmos to bring it to his version of order. The only way to stop him would to get the other forces of the cosmos to work together to shatter the Overlord once again.

AslanCross
2008-01-22, 06:56 PM
Would require using Dicefreak's Version of the Nine Hells and truth behind them (http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gth669h/TGoH/) But honestly I already use those in my own games as they kick so much ass but here it is,

That version is soooooooo freaky. It really makes Asmodeus more of a threat to the entire cosmos than the "really horrible and ugly but ultimately necessary embodiment of Lawful Evil" that he is in the default D&D cosmos. Definitely Elder Evil material.

Illiterate Scribe
2008-01-22, 07:10 PM

#34 Asomedues, Satan, however you wish to call the avatar of the Overlord of Hell has finally succeed with his ultimate goal the reformation of his physical body. With this reformation the Overlord absorbs the entirety of the nine hells and all the devil therein. With the reformation of his physical form the Overlord begins his crusade on the rest of the cosmos to bring it to his version of order. The only way to stop him would to get the other forces of the cosmos to work together to shatter the Overlord once again.

Dicefreaks truly is made of win, although I can't wait for them to come out with 'Light of the Heavens'. Shame that the community there's not that nice, though.

Tyrmatt
2008-01-22, 07:11 PM
I'm not very good at Elder Evils. Big Bads, yes, but stuff from before the dawn of existence is too hard to maintain in terms of power vs defeatability. I always find that it either proves invincible in the end or the killing stroke is deeply unsatisfying.
I do deeply like 30 though. It gives good players a way to make pacts with demons in a roundabout way, blurring the moral lines further than is usually possible. Someone should develop it further.

Gig_Complex
2008-01-22, 07:18 PM
Aslan: Yeah I love Dicefreak's stuff, they are generally great at coming up with some beautiful if scary stuff.

IS: Depends on who you end up butting heads with, granted they got their fair share of aholes but so does every forum with the exception of perhaps this one which seems to be the niceist forum I've ever been on. I've been waiting on Light of the Heavens since I picked up The Gates of Hell as I think it would be a great foil to some of my campaign stuff.

ImperialGolem
2008-01-22, 07:33 PM
35. Elminster, Mordenkainen, Boranel, it doesn't matter, decides to do the impossible: DIVIDE BY 0! Chaos ensues as a massive creature, calling itself 4chan, is formed... It has an army of mudkips (small, yet fierce, creatures) and takes over all the cats in the world.
:smallbiggrin:

36. A super-golem is created, through unknown means. Its master (insert BBEG here) wants to hold the world hostage. He tells the monster to destroy the cities of the world. It is completely immune to normal attacks. Magic has no effect on it. Even trapping it has not worked so far. Unfortunately, heroes kill the master. And the golem is left with its one order: destroy everything.

Mewtarthio
2008-01-22, 07:35 PM
28?

After unintentionally destroying his own realm, a god or similar all-powerful being sends an avatar to harvest matter from other planes so that he can rebuild his domain.

Bonus points to whoever guesses what the avatar's weapon/tool is.

It's a Katamari, isn't it? :smallamused:

AslanCross
2008-01-22, 08:02 PM
35. Elminster, Mordenkainen, Boranel, it doesn't matter, decides to do the impossible: DIVIDE BY 0! Chaos ensues as a massive creature, calling itself 4chan, is formed... It has an army of mudkips (small, yet fierce, creatures) and takes over all the cats in the world.
:smallbiggrin:

That is the most terrifying thing I've ever heard. Don't forget the /b/tards! They shall rule both our lives and dreams with visions of horror. :smalleek:

ImperialGolem
2008-01-22, 08:22 PM
That is the most terrifying thing I've ever heard. Don't forget the /b/tards! They shall rule both our lives and dreams with visions of horror. :smalleek:
The mudkips are the main force, the cats are the spies, and the /b/tards are the equivalent of a special attack group.

Uriel Valentine
2008-01-22, 08:47 PM
Attention Mr. Valentine: We regret to inform you that you are being sued by Persona 3's Shadows. They want their motif back.

I'm not saying it isn't a good idea. It just seems plagerized.

Unlikely, as.
I don't even catch what you're referring to. :/

Duke Malagigi
2008-01-22, 09:03 PM
That version is soooooooo freaky. It really makes Asmodeus more of a threat to the entire cosmos than the "really horrible and ugly but ultimately necessary embodiment of Lawful Evil" that he is in the default D&D cosmos. Definitely Elder Evil material.

There's also Demogorgon with the Venom Font. He'd qualify as an Elder Evil.

Collin152
2008-01-22, 09:29 PM
It's a Katamari, isn't it? :smallamused:

Well, that's my vote.
Nanananananananana Katamari Damashi...
Hmmm... the King of All Cosmos as an deity...

Ralfarius
2008-01-22, 10:41 PM
How do you even fight a giant rolling mass that simply consumes matter it contacts? :smalleek:

Hyozo
2008-01-22, 10:52 PM
How do you even fight a giant rolling mass that simply consumes matter it contacts? :smalleek:

Ummm... Magic? This is D&D we're talking about, if you can't remove something from existance without any matter actually touching it, you're worthless.

Solo
2008-01-22, 11:09 PM

Shoot it with a Railgun or Plasma weapon. Even if the matter is absorbed, the momentum isn't. Thus, we can move the giant rolling mass in a direction of our choosing.

This is also a viable means of moving black holes, though you'd need to do it on a much larger scale.

Jothki
2008-01-22, 11:22 PM
Yeah, you got it.

Stuff falls off a Katamari if it's hit hard enough, so you just need to use enough force before it grows too large to harm. Perfect Elder Evil scenario.

Edit: That, or kill the avatar wielding it.

Gralamin
2008-01-22, 11:25 PM
37) Strange shaped blocks start falling from the sky, building layers of blocks until it reaches a line, in which case the blocks are vaporized by disintegration, it is no matter though the blocks will soon reach the top, and once they reach there who knows what horrors they will unleash?

BadJuJu
2008-01-23, 12:13 AM
30?

The Seven, the creators of Hell and the Abyss, have awakened, and are not pleased to find that lesser creatures have taken up residence while they slumbered. As they begin slaughtering their way up from the Final Layer, the Demons flee to the material plane in an effort to escape, while the Devils seek to destroy the Seven. Unfortunately, as the masters of all Evil, the Seven have also inspired new waves of terrors and monsters throughout all of existance. The only way to end the terror is to defeat them, and who can stop the very creatures of a Demonlord's nightmares?

This is so freakin cool. That would make an awsome game.

Saucy_Ninja
2008-01-23, 01:30 AM

Mars, or some other neighboring planet to whatever setting your playing, becomes sentient. And psychic...or at least mind-controlling.

Talic
2008-01-23, 06:47 AM
Some ancient long-dead blah-blah power long ago created a sentient construct. It was vested with the powers to read the thoughts of mortals, alter its form to look exactly like any humanoid, and grant their unacted upon desires. It has wish, usable once per round. However, the beings that created it were ones of terror and destruction, and so only the violent urges that the user did not intend to act on are fulfilled.

Kami2awa
2008-01-23, 10:00 AM
How about an artefact like HP Lovecrafts Shining Trapezohedron that is effectly an Elder Evil in itself...

Zenos
2008-01-23, 10:13 AM
40# A planet-sized creature, covered in millions of tentacles and with a several tubes five hundred metres in diameter, which dreams its way through space and when it encounters a planet it awakens thanks to a "life sensing" ability and proceeds to use it many tentacles to eat everything alive on thep lanet, putting all living matter into it's great mouth, and uses the tubes to suck out the molten metal core of the planet, then it leaves after having eaten the athmosphere.

Wolfprint
2008-01-23, 10:17 AM
#41: The world is actually a monstrous creature that has lain dormant for millenia. Now it's stirring and is about to awake. Can the PCs keep the creature asleep, before it wakes up? Are the PCs actually mere characters in the creature's dream?

BadJuJu
2008-01-23, 12:47 PM
42. Not really an evil, but an artifact of unimaginable evil disappears from a plain of celestial good and the Angels (falsly)trace it the material realm. Rather than have the artifact fall into dangerous hands, they decide to wipe the world clean and start over.

43. Some cabal of mages decide to open a massive Gate that makes the prime material plane the Battle Ground for the Blood War.

Collin152
2008-01-23, 05:34 PM
#don'tcountit. Years ago, a mysterious creature fell to the earth. A man created from the cells of this creature seeks to destroy the earth by calling down a massive meteor upon the earth. The secret? The being that fell is the real master.

Kami2awa
2008-01-23, 05:47 PM
3. A being of primordial Law, with the intention to "bring order to" any living world...by destroying all life that may be a threat to Law.

Or crystallise it forever into an ordered, unmoving state... like Terry Pratchett's Auditors.

Another idea: the world is hit with the Biblical Ten Plaques of Egypt (blood, frogs*, lice, flies, disease, boils, fire, locusts, darkness) as a sign that Something is Awakening; the players have to stop it before it gets to the worst, final plague (the death of the firstborn).

*Frogs seem fairly harmless compared to the others...

AslanCross
2008-01-23, 05:51 PM
#don'tcountit. Years ago, a mysterious creature fell to the earth. A man created from the cells of this creature seeks to destroy the earth by calling down a massive meteor upon the earth. The secret? The being that fell is the real master.

Who would've thought Sephiroth and his Mommy qualify as an Elder Evil? *cue One-Winged Angel*

VanBuren
2008-01-23, 05:56 PM

Almost true. Square confirmed in one of their Ultimania guides that Sephiroth was actually the dominant mind. So cell-man is the real master.

Collin152
2008-01-23, 06:05 PM
But that just isn't as cool.

VanBuren
2008-01-23, 06:18 PM
But that just isn't as cool.

I beg to differ. On the occasion where an Elder Evil like that is defeated, its inability to understand humanity often plays a part of that. This one is still the unmistakable Elder Evil, even with the same arrogance as Sephiroth believes himself to be better than human, but on a subconscious level has experienced the human condition.

Fester
2008-01-23, 06:35 PM
Dunno what number this is:

Physical manifestations of Vestiges (see Tome of Magic) begin arriving randomly as a result of Summon Monster Spells, and they stick around.

Fun times abound.

Rhydeble
2009-07-20, 02:21 PM
#44: Pun-Pun

Agrippa
2009-07-20, 02:54 PM
I beg to differ. On the occasion where an Elder Evil like that is defeated, its inability to understand humanity often plays a part of that. This one is still the unmistakable Elder Evil, even with the same arrogance as Sephiroth believes himself to be better than human, but on a subconscious level has experienced the human condition.

I have a personal little crossover theory that states that even though Sephiroth may be the dominant mind of the two, there is an even greater mind, a stronger behind both of them biding it's time, waiting for the perfect oppertunity to strike.

"To-DAY, the KAL-ed race has EN-ded, in a fire of war. But from the as-HES shall AR-ise a new race. The sup-REME CREA-ture, the ulti-MATE CON-querer of the UNI-verse. The DALEK!"

Guess who this charming fellow is.

D_Lord
2009-07-20, 04:01 PM
46. A crazy ex-overgod (quit not defected) has just jumped into this set of plains. As a resoalt things start acting oddly. Kings turn into living statues only moving or doing anything for a little while when some random people are talking to them, some Shop keepers become ulteraly invisable, magic items act like wild magic, strange dice appear to people and the rolls control their fate, and some lichs or master mages have seen a strange sight when looking into the sky. Your hero's must find this crazyed ex-overgod before he makes the plains the powers of good and evil, law and chaos fall into nothingness.

(Guess what this is based off of, sorry for the bad spelling)

Blue Ghost
2009-07-20, 04:05 PM
What kind of Elder Evil is D_Lord? I don't know much about his origin, only that he's a physical embodiment of evil, has a bunch of clones and enjoys opening gates to the Far Realm.

Jalor
2009-07-20, 04:26 PM
This thread is from several months ago. "Thread Necromancy", i.e. posting in a dead thread and bringing it back to the front page, is against the rules here.

Mods?

golentan
2009-07-20, 04:42 PM
This thread is from several months ago. "Thread Necromancy", i.e. posting in a dead thread and bringing it back to the front page, is against the rules here.

Mods?

I'm sorry, but in keeping with the spirit of the thread, I have to say it. "That is not dead which may eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die."

Continue with the destruction of the necromantic abomination now.

Tyrmatt
2009-07-20, 05:03 PM
#47 - Wizards wanton use of magic has awoken something from the time of the creation of magic, an entity borne of the chaotic forces that originally made up the arcane powers. It empowers people and creatures to disrupt spellcasting colleges and bring the world back to a state of pre-matter. Only by tracking down information on the creation of magic can the PCs find a way to empower themselves against this creation and send it back to the pocket dimension it came from before the world is reduced to plasma.

#48 The forces of darkness are moving to bring together the pieces of a mighty evil demigod who was dismembered in order to stop him moving to conquer the Prime Material. The parts are scattered across the worlds and planes, some residing in Celestia itself. But as the evil forces lay siege to the gates of Heaven, divine powers begin to falter and spells run wild with the released energy of wanton plane hopping, only the heroes can step in to halt the damaging of planar barriers, track down the pieces of the demigod and maybe finally destroy him forever.

Roland St. Jude
2009-07-20, 05:47 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: Please don't resurrect old threads. See the Forum Rules for all the fancy details.