+11|
+6|
+6|Szarza +14

20th|
+20/+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+6|
+6|Juggernaut +8[/table]

Class Skills: Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (History) (Int), Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty) (Int), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex)
Skill Points: 2 + Int Bonus (x4 at 1st level)

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: A hussar is proficient with all Simple and Martial weapons, with all types of armor (Light, Medium, and Heavy), and all shields (except Tower Shields)

Szarza (Ex): A hussar is a makes an art of rushing his opponents in battle. At the 1st level, any Charge attack made by the Hussar gains an extra +2 to its attack deals an additional 2 damage, and receives no penalty to AC. Every third level following, the bonuses increase by an additional +2.

Ryczec (Su): At the 2nd level, the Hussar can unleash a terrifying cry upon his enemies. Once per day as a swift action, a hussar can cause all creatures within a 30 ft. cone that fail a Will Save (DC = 10 + Half the Hussar’s level + the Hussar’s Charisma Modifier) to become Shaken. Every 4th level following, the hussar gains an additional use of this ability.

Aura of Fear (Su): The very presence of the hussar is unsettling to all who witness him; The wind whistles around them eerily, their eyes glow with menace, and the ground thunders when they walk. At the 3rd level and higher, any enemy creature within 10 ft. of a Hussar must make a Will Save (DC = 10 + Half the Hussar’s level + the Hussar’s Charisma Modifier) or become Shaken. Those who make the save cannot be affected by this ability for 24 hours.

Such mastery of terror leaves a Hussar numb to the feeling themselves. As an additional benefit, they are Immune to Fear.

Armor Mastery (Ex): At the 4th level, a Hussar becomes so accustomed to wearing armor that he no longer takes the standard speed penalty for wearing Medium armor. At the 9th level, this ability also applies to Heavy armor.

Juggernaut (Ex): At the 5th level, a hussar learns to wield his massive bulk more effectively on the battlefield then most combatants. He gains a +2 to make and resist all Bull Rush, Trip, and Overrun attempts. At the 10th level, and every 5th level thereafter, the bonus increases by an additional +2.

Mount (Sp): Upon reaching the 5th level, a Hussar can call upon the services of a spiritual steed to aid him in battle. This ability works the same as the Paladin ability of the same name.

Bonus Feat: At the 6th level, and every 6th level thereafter, a hussar gains a Bonus Feat from the following list:

Armor Specialization, Agile Shield Fighter, Cleave, Combat Expertise, Combat Reflexes, Exotic Armor Proficiency, Exotic Shield Proficiency, Exotic Weapons Proficiency, Great Cleave, Great Fortitude, Greater Heavy Armor Optimization, Heavy Armor Optimization, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Critical, Improved Initiative, Improved Overrun, Improved Trip, Improved Shield Bash, Iron Will, Mounted Archery, Mounted Combat, Power Attack, Ride-By Attack, Shield Specialization, Shield Ward, Short Haft, Spirited Charge, Tower Shield Proficiency, Trample, Weapon Focus

Dzialanie (Ex): A hussar learns how to unleash a barrage of strikes when he charges an opponent upon reaching the 11th level. When he charges, he may make an additional attack, with a -5 penalty. At the 16th level, he gains a third attack, with a -10 penalty. This ability does not stack with the Pounce special ability.

Mettle (Ex): At the 12th level and higher, a Hussar’s impregnable nature allows it to shrug off eldritch attacks with relative ease. If he makes a successful Will or Fortitude save against an attack that allows a lesser effect on a successful save, he instead suffers no effect whatsoever.

Shoyliguad
2008-01-21, 12:37 AM
Wow I'm not going to read any farther than level one. This class makes an amazing dip class for any melee charachter, no penalty to charge and a bonus on top!?!?!?!?! Sorry but that screams broken, please fix that.

Nebo_
2008-01-21, 12:46 AM
Shoyliguad Wow I'm not going to read any farther than level one. This class makes an amazing dip class for any melee charachter, no penalty to charge and a bonus on top!?!?!?!?! Sorry but that screams broken, please fix that.

It's fine. Stop overreacting. The advancement, though, is a little worrying. It gets a little too high. Perhaps you should halve the number.

Kellus
2008-01-21, 12:58 AM
This looks pretty cool. Fairly weak, but on par with most of the melee core classes. A few things that jump out at me:

Szarza: First off, very cool name. What does it mean? I found 'ryczec' meaning 'roar' in Polish, but couldn't find anything on szarza. In any case, this ability is probably too strong for first level, like Shoyliguad said. I'd probably change it to no penalty at first level and then start tacking on the bonus later on in the class.

Ryczec: Well... It's pretty weak. Shaken really isn't that great of a condition to inflict, and especially not as a special once per day ability. I'd say, first of all, base the save DC for this and the aura of fear off of Con instead of Cha to cut down on MAD a little. Next, let him use this more times a day. Honestly, it's not that powerful. Maybe Cha or Con/day at 2nd level and then some additional uses as he progresses. Lastly, I'd put in text saying that if it affects someone already fearful from his aura of fear, this makes them frightened, which synergizes nicely and is a very nice effect.

Aura of Fear: Good. Got no complaints here.

Armor Mastery: Looks good as well. Might be you could consider reducing the armor check penalty as well? Seems to fit the idea of the class.

Juggernaut: Very cool. These maneuvers don't see much use a lot of the time.

Mount: Eh... Not that great. The paladin has a viable supply of his supernatural steed. The hussar doesn't, and doesn't really seem to have any other supernatural abilities. You could probably do just as well giving him Mounted Combat for free at this point, and a bonus on Ride checks.

Bonus Feats: Perfectly reasonable. Any particular reason not to just grant them from the fighter feat list?

Dzialanie: Just fine. Helps to fill his role as a charging warrior. As it stands, though, it's basically a subpar version of Pounce that never quite reaches Pounce. What I'd consider would be a variant on Flurry of Blows that he can only activate when he charges (ie. grant additional attacks but at a flat penalty to each, instead of adding incremental attacks onto his regular charge)?

Mettle: No complaints here either, but I'd change it to level 8 to fill in the dead level; 12 already has a bonus feat. Also, if he's getting Mettle would it not make sense to also give him a good Will saving throw? Otherwise it seems kind of useless for Will saves, since he won't be making any of them anyway.

Anyhow, neat idea for a class. A melee combattant focused on charging and bull rushing and other neat stuff is a good niche to focus on. Admittedly, a little explanation or fluff behind the class would be nice. Great names, though.

Also, I'd figure something out for a level 20 capstone. +2 to juggernaut really isn't that great at that level.

Stycotl
2008-01-21, 01:24 AM
where is the fluff? where is the 'a hussar fills xxx role in society/adventuring party/family/local bar? where is the historical analysis? where is the alignment consideration? you have all of these abilities in a foreign language which is cool, but *completely* if there is no reason for them to be there. if there is no background, then why not just call it 'cool charge with lots of hits' instead of Dzialanie? what the heck does that mean anyway? fluff, fluff, fluff.

now i will reread it, looking for mechanical issues...
aaron out.

Whim
2008-01-21, 01:31 AM
This looks pretty cool. Fairly weak, but on par with most of the melee core classes. A few things that jump out at me:

Szarza: First off, very cool name. What does it mean? I found 'ryczec' meaning 'roar' in Polish, but couldn't find anything on szarza. In any case, this ability is probably too strong for first level, like Shoyliguad said. I'd probably change it to no penalty at first level and then start tacking on the bonus later on in the class.

It means Charge or Rush... I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be too horribly unbalancing, though. I mean, say your average hussar is fighting a wolf. It's really not gonna get more than one chance to use such an ability more than once in a fight anyway, unless for some reason either the hussar or the wolf keeps moving around...

Ryczec: Well... It's pretty weak. Shaken really isn't that great of a condition to inflict, and especially not as a special once per day ability. I'd say, first of all, base the save DC for this and the aura of fear off of Con instead of Cha to cut down on MAD a little. Next, let him use this more times a day. Honestly, it's not that powerful. Maybe Cha or Con/day at 2nd level and then some additional uses as he progresses. Lastly, I'd put in text saying that if it affects someone already fearful from his aura of fear, this makes them frightened, which synergizes nicely and is a very nice effect.

I was under the impression that if someone was already shaken they'd get frightened anyway... And the idea that the hussar has no other swift action abilities, it can use this twice on one target while repeatedly bashing another.

And it has to be Charisma... You don't get scared of someone because they can get smacked around a lot before dieing. You get scared because they have some kind of presence...

Aura of Fear: Good. Got no complaints here.

Dziękuję.:smallsmile:

Armor Mastery: Looks good as well. Might be you could consider reducing the armor check penalty as well? Seems to fit the idea of the class.

It was an ability taken from the Knight class in the PHII. I don't think there's really a need... Bonus feats seem to take care of that nicely.

Juggernaut: Very cool. These maneuvers don't see much use a lot of the time.

Dziękuję again.

Mount: Eh... Not that great. The paladin has a viable supply of his supernatural steed. The hussar doesn't, and doesn't really seem to have any other supernatural abilities. You could probably do just as well giving him Mounted Combat for free at this point, and a bonus on Ride checks.

Bonus Feats: Perfectly reasonable. Any particular reason not to just grant them from the fighter feat list?

Both are there more for flavor than for true need of the class. I modeled it after the Heavy Hussars of the Polish-Lithuanian commonwealth.

Dzialanie: Just fine. Helps to fill his role as a charging warrior. As it stands, though, it's basically a subpar version of Pounce that never quite reaches Pounce. What I'd consider would be a variant on Flurry of Blows that he can only activate when he charges (ie. grant additional attacks but at a flat penalty to each, instead of adding incremental attacks onto his regular charge)?

I dunno. The idea of ramming somebody at full speed when you're really pissed at them seems a likely concept rather than smashing them a couple times more than usual. I would keep it an optional use ability.

Mettle: No complaints here either, but I'd change it to level 8 to fill in the dead level; 12 already has a bonus feat. Also, if he's getting Mettle would it not make sense to also give him a good Will saving throw? Otherwise it seems kind of useless for Will saves, since he won't be making any of them anyway.

It's when most other classes get it. It's a good level to receive the ability.

Anyhow, neat idea for a class. A melee combattant focused on charging and bull rushing and other neat stuff is a good niche to focus on. Admittedly, a little explanation or fluff behind the class would be nice. Great names, though.

Also, I'd figure something out for a level 20 capstone. +2 to juggernaut really isn't that great at that level.

Not every class does. I don't see much of a reason for it.

Kellus
2008-01-21, 02:03 AM
It means Charge or Rush... I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be too horribly unbalancing, though. I mean, say your average hussar is fighting a wolf. It's really not gonna get more than one chance to use such an ability more than once in a fight anyway, unless for some reason either the hussar or the wolf keeps moving around...

I suppose. It's an excellent first level ability, but I might tone down the bonus, as Nebo_ suggested. +14 may be a tad high, even at high levels.

I was under the impression that if someone was already shaken they'd get frightened anyway... And the idea that the hussar has no other swift action abilities, it can use this twice on one target while repeatedly bashing another.

And it has to be Charisma... You don't get scared of someone because they can get smacked around a lot before dieing. You get scared because they have some kind of presence...

If I'm not mistaken (and the SRD says I'm not) shaken doesn't lead to fear if you get shaken again. I believe this rule was presented in Heroes of Horror, and even in that case the same effect didn't stack with itself. If you want it do otherwise, you'll need words to that effect on the ability. As for the save DC, I'm just thinking mechanically here; he doesn't use Cha for anything else, and needs a whole bunch of ability scores as it is. Con can also represent strength of body and fortitude, which could be very intimidating indeed.

Dziękuję.:smallsmile:

Proszę bardzo. :smallsmile:

It was an ability taken from the Knight class in the PHII. I don't think there's really a need... Bonus feats seem to take care of that nicely.

Fair enough. Objection withdrawn.

Both are there more for flavor than for true need of the class. I modeled it after the Heavy Hussars of the Polish-Lithuanian commonwealth.

I don't object to the mount per se... More that it's a spell-like ability; he's literally summoning a horse from another plane of existence. Admittedly there's no background for the class, but this doesn't seem to jive with the nonmagical feel of the rest of the class.

I dunno. The idea of ramming somebody at full speed when you're really pissed at them seems a likely concept rather than smashing them a couple times more than usual. I would keep it an optional use ability.

Actually, I wasn't considering the Szarza ability when I wrote that... Looking at it now, the penalties to hit are more than offset by the charge attack bonus. Actually works quite nicely together. Any particular reason he only gets two of his three iterative attacks with this ability?

It's when most other classes get it. It's a good level to receive the ability.

Au contraire: hexblades get it at level 3. Also, what if the character already has Mettle, from say, multiclassing into hexblade?

Not every class does. I don't see much of a reason for it.

No, not every class has a capstone, but it is a nice bonus for someone that's stayed with it for all 20 levels.

Stycotl
2008-01-21, 02:11 AM
capstone: especially nice when considering that multiclassing into a prc or second base class is in almost every way superior than sticking with the original class.

Whim
2008-01-21, 02:24 AM
I suppose. It's an excellent first level ability, but I might tone down the bonus, as Nebo_ suggested. +14 may be a tad high, even at high levels.

*shrug*... I mean, Wizards by that point can blast people with meteors, Druids can turn into gigantic columns of fire, Rogues can kill almost any living thing in a couple short, precisely placed jabs... What's wrong with a charge bonus like that?

If I'm not mistaken (and the SRD says I'm not) shaken doesn't lead to fear if you get shaken again. I believe this rule was presented in Heroes of Horror, and even in that case the same effect didn't stack with itself. If you want it do otherwise, you'll need words to that effect on the ability. As for the save DC, I'm just thinking mechanically here; he doesn't use Cha for anything else, and needs a whole bunch of ability scores as it is. Con can also represent strength of body and fortitude, which could be very intimidating indeed.

D'oh... I'll add in that it stacks, then...

I see your point with the Con, but I'm still kinda skeptical about the whole idea...

I don't object to the mount per se... More that it's a spell-like ability; he's literally summoning a horse from another plane of existence. Admittedly there's no background for the class, but this doesn't seem to jive with the nonmagical feel of the rest of the class.

I know. But it needs the mount. That's without question.

Actually, I wasn't considering the Szarza ability when I wrote that... Looking at it now, the penalties to hit are more than offset by the charge attack bonus. Actually works quite nicely together. Any particular reason he only gets two of his three iterative attacks with this ability?

At the risk of sounding stupid, I don't understand the question... I'd like to say that I wrote this up a few months ago and haven't seen it for awhile.

Au contraire: hexblades get it at level 3. Also, what if the character already has Mettle, from say, multiclassing into hexblade?

Ooh... Yeah, right. :smallredface:

I dunno... Wouldn't Improved Mettle be overpowered?

No, not every class has a capstone, but it is a nice bonus for someone that's stayed with it for all 20 levels.

Wouldn't adding something at this point just make it unbelievably broken, though?

And for those who wanted fluff... Here's a starting point (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_Hussars).

Icewalker
2008-01-21, 03:25 AM
I dunno, seems to me like it could be seen as a little underpowered.

Also, to keep the feel, instead of letting them summon extraplanar mounts, you could give them something similar to the paladin steed but less magical, just a steed that you keep with you like an animal companion.

Also, very cool, and would probably be way cooler if I took the time to read the Wikipedia article. But it's 12:30. So maybe another time.

Nebo_
2008-01-21, 07:50 AM
What's wrong with a charge bonus like that?

Leap attack. That means 56 damage.

ronnyfire
2008-01-21, 11:18 PM
my thoughts on the con to roar is that it works flavor wise, con is more than hp.
it governs your lung capacity and other such things as well, in my mind.. that would relate to a louder more fearsome yell.

Roderick_BR
2008-01-22, 10:35 AM
Wow I'm not going to read any farther than level one. This class makes an amazing dip class for any melee charachter, no penalty to charge and a bonus on top!?!?!?!?! Sorry but that screams broken, please fix that.
Get level 2 for frightening presence once a day.

Neek
2008-01-22, 01:00 PM
I'll go ahead and throw in my two cents.

The hit die is 10, which is standard for a stand-up and fighting class. As are the high fort save and low reflex and will saves
Szarza seems a bit overpowered, because it gives too much at first level. It means a single level dip makes any charge attempt a very viable option, granting no risk but only benefits. You only need to make sure you begin your round at least 10' from an enemy. I would keep the AC penalty at -2, but decrease it at fourth level (or add the damage or bonus to hit later). Without modifying the bonuses, you could grant the Szarza ability a use per day, or some other withdrawal from using this ability. Not entirely sure which...
Ryczec needs to be useable more often as it was said before. I agree that shaken is not enough, either...
Which is why it should be stacked with Aura of Fear, as was previously mentioned. A nice little ability.
Armor Mastery is a good ability for this class. Fits the flavor and the design.
Juggernaut as well, giving that it makes the ever so fun options more desirable.
I'd redo Mount, and treat the animal as an animal companion that must serve as a mount, albeit at either half the character level or character level minus four.
Bonus feats are introduced quite late, which is quite fine, considering the other abilities this class gets. Not a bad list, either.
Dzialanie is nice, but not great. It's not overpowering, either.
Mettle again fits the flavor, and works nicely (considering that a Hussar will not have a high Wisdom, this is a good offset to the low Will save and the freedom against fear.)

Lastly, I'd recommend as a capstone ability, an ability that replaces Dzialanie and is simply a pounce ability usable x per day. It would be a definite nice touch.

Zenos
2008-01-22, 01:12 PM
First, it seems a rather good melee class.

Secondly, those names are difficult to pronounce.
Otherwise good.

Morty
2008-01-22, 02:17 PM
I don't think that supernatural mount works well in otherwise fairly mundane class. Better idea would be allowing hussar to choose a normal mount that'd advance with him like an animal companion.
Also, just out of curiosity, why did you choose not not translate the names of abilities?