PDA

View Full Version : Additional forms for a Shapeshift druid

kamikasei
2008-01-21, 07:57 AM
Has anyone done this? What are the balance issues?

Obviously part of the point of the shapeshift variant is that you are limited in the forms available, but there are a couple of odd omissions and I'm wondering how balanced/unbalanced people feel it would be to patch them up. Specifically, there are no forms that grant either a Climb speed (okay, situational) or a Swim speed (now surely there should be such?). If I wanted my Druid to have access to these, should they be options gained along with Aerial Form (swapping the fly speed for the other mode, and otherwise identical), or something that can be added to any of the forms, possibly from an earlier level?

Theodoxus
2008-01-21, 08:40 AM
Personally, I'd intersperse them at different levels. A bit like the Druid from WoW (I know, I know). But when I first saw the Shapeshift varient the first thing I thought was 'nice, they ripped this from Blizzard' - but then I thought maybe thats how the Druids in the WoW RPG are, so meh.

Tempest Fennac
2008-01-21, 09:53 AM
Would there be much need for a climbing form if there is a flying form? I know what you mean about a lack of aquatic forms, unless a dolphin would class as a terrain appropriate predator form (I know it refers to terrestrial predators, but you could ask your DM to houserule it so you could use an aquatic creature with those stats).

kamikasei
2008-01-21, 10:06 AM
Would there be much need for a climbing form if there is a flying form?

Probably not, but in cramped underground or dense forested environments it would seem more fitting, even if a creature with Good maneuverability is techinically as capable of getting around.

As for swim speed, the other half of my concern is that you would probably need the Aquatic subtype.

icefractal
2008-01-21, 09:02 PM
It also needs a stealth form - bonus to Dex, maybe skills, and most importantly, smaller size!

Potentially a burrowing form too, although that's pretty niche.

Fizban
2008-01-22, 02:57 AM
TheOOB homebrewed these (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32329) feats a while back, they may be to your liking.

Talic
2008-01-22, 03:08 AM
Dolphins are predators. They are carnivorous by nature, and hunt mostly fish. Orca are good for higher level, and are DEFINATELY predators.

Apes of one form or another should have climb.

Chronicled
2008-01-22, 03:24 AM
I like TheOOB's feats. However, a friend of mine who thinks that they are too strong (go figure, since it's the Shapeshift druid :smallconfused:) had the rather interesting idea of changing the feat that would allow the druid to use the Amphibious Creature template from Stormwrack with any of their forms. (Essentially, the only difference is a -2 Dex when shifted into an aquatic form.) This would allow swimming at will, but not be an "overpowered" feat. A similar option could be used for the other sorts of feats.

Just thought I'd mention that in case anyone has trouble running them by a DM.

kamikasei
2008-01-22, 03:56 AM
Dolphins are predators. They are carnivorous by nature, and hunt mostly fish. Orca are good for higher level, and are DEFINATELY predators.

Yes... but using Predator Form as-is to take the form of a dolphin leaves you with... a dolphin with a land speed and no other movement mode.

Fizban, those look like a good starting point, thanks! The sense-granting one is particularly apt. I'll see whether I can take those feats or add something on the same power level to the Shapeshift progression.