PDA

View Full Version : What is the Strangest Word in the World

Goblin Dan
2008-01-21, 12:48 PM
What do you think the strangest word in the world is??

please do not post any swears or inappropriate words.

:smiley: <<Click on the smiley! It will bring you to my 'MyMiniCity' page. Leave a message too. If you visit my city, I will visit yours! (http://space-frog.myminicity.com)

EvilElitest
2008-01-21, 12:51 PM
Elitest

What?

Fine, Darling, make a note on the word "Gobbley-****" i like it, i want to use it more often in conversation
from
EE

Goblin Dan
2008-01-21, 12:59 PM
My favorite word is "Hyakugojyuuichi". It does not mean any thing and it is really hard to pronounce. It is a name of a song by Lemon Demon.:smallsmile:

other than that, my second favorite word is "ampster-sand". My friend's girl friend made it up and when-ever she says it, it makes everyone laugh.

:smile: <<Click on the smiley! It will bring you to my 'MyMiniCity' page. Leave a message too. If you visit my city, I will visit yours! (http://space-frog.myminicity.com)

EvilElitest
2008-01-21, 01:02 PM
Ninjaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Sorry

Google. really, say that to somebody who hasn't heard about it. You just can't keep a straight face
from
EE

Shraik
2008-01-21, 01:02 PM
the word "do", The word "Tintinabulation", "much

Dihan
2008-01-21, 01:07 PM
If place names count: "Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerwchgwyndrobwll llantisiliogogogoch"
If they don't: "Discombobulate"

Kaelaroth
2008-01-21, 01:10 PM
I like "Isthmus", "Rhythm", "Ho!", "nevrose", and a word of my own invention, "oobisquious".

Oh, and "burgeouning". :smile:
Language is fun!

Spiryt
2008-01-21, 01:33 PM
Well, I think that polish word "ponadtrzydziestodwuipółletni" is pretty strange.

But this is in fact connection of few words, which are written together beacuse Polish language rules, so I don't know if it counts.

Venox
2008-01-21, 01:40 PM
Floccinaucinihilipilification.

Estimation that something is valueless. Proper pronunciation based on Latin roots: flockə-nowsə-nəkələ-pələ-fək-ation.

Aramil Liadon
2008-01-21, 04:33 PM
All of your 'e's are upside-down!

Whim
2008-01-21, 04:52 PM
NordÖstersjÖkustartilleriflygspaningssimulatoranlÄ ggNingsmaterielunderhÅllsuppfÖljningssystemdiskuss ionsInlÄggsfÖrberedelsearbeten is the strangest word in the world.

It's Swedish.

Quincunx
2008-01-21, 05:44 PM
Congratulations. The previous "Longest Word on this Board" was half that length. Only now that my husband has stopped reading it aloud for my benefit do I think of timing how long it takes to say. . .

ArtifexFelicis
2008-01-21, 05:50 PM
Vivisect.

Why do we need a word to specify cutting someone open while the're still alive?

Also!

Defenestration.

The act of throwing someone out of a window.

Vuzzmop
2008-01-21, 05:52 PM
Mahogany. Nuff said.:smallbiggrin:

RationalGoblin
2008-01-21, 07:55 PM
Either "Compassion", "hero", "charity", "kindness" "conscience", or "guilt". Oooh, or "organic"!

What? Stop looking at me like that! :smalltongue:

Carpetkiller
2008-01-21, 08:41 PM
I think the strangest word is antidisestablishmentarianism.

MattKatt
2008-01-21, 09:07 PM
I think the strangest word in the world is Orange

ArlEammon
2008-01-21, 09:20 PM
supercalifragilisticecspealidocius!

Dragonrider
2008-01-21, 09:44 PM
Ninjaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Sorry

Google. really, say that to somebody who hasn't heard about it. You just can't keep a straight face
from
EE

And...who HASN'T heard of Google? :smallamused::smallbiggrin:

...I thought of a funny word today. But I can't remember it now.

SilentNight
2008-01-21, 09:57 PM
My favorite word is "Hyakugojyuuichi". It does not mean any thing and it is really hard to pronounce.

Wrong, it actually mean 151 in Japanese.

I'd have to go with Zimbabwe( say it out loud a few times ).

Hephaestus
2008-01-21, 10:16 PM
Pogonology:

The study of beards.

Beards....

Runner up: Albatross.

Shraik
2008-01-21, 10:35 PM
Since people are making up words, Bagiggleflarge

ArtifexFelicis
2008-01-21, 10:57 PM
I'm going to have to retract my words, and offer a new one.

Jozxyqk: The sound made when you get your sexual organs caught in something.

Green Bean
2008-01-21, 11:00 PM
Sure, there are words out there that are longer, or more obscure, or even downright ironic, but I'll always have a place in my heart for mastication.

Shademan
2008-01-22, 02:47 AM
utflod
now THAT is weird

Athaniar
2008-01-22, 03:23 AM
If you want the correct capitalization of that swedish word, it's "NordösterSjöKustArtilleriFlygSpaningsSimulatorAnlä ggningsMaterielUnderhållsUppföljningsSystemDiskuss ionsInläggsFörberedelseArbeten"

It means
"NortheasternSeaCoastArtilleryFlightReconaissanceSi mulatorEstablishmentMaterialUpkeepContinuationSyst emDiscussionContributionPreparationWork."

sort of.

And "Ampersand" is a real word, it's the "&" sign.

Dhavaer
2008-01-22, 03:27 AM
Aarshgnodle. My spelling is almost certainly incorrect, but it is a real word. Any speakers of Pennsylvania Dutch can confirm its meaning.

smellie_hippie
2008-01-22, 09:20 AM
I'm going to have to retract my words, and offer a new one.

Is it in the dictionary? :smallconfused:
I suppose so, if you shut it really hard. :smallamused:

New contribution... "fluffy". It's just entertaining to say and contemplate.

Archonic Energy
2008-01-22, 09:32 AM

gotta love Red Dwarf!

*stab*
*hurt*
*kill*
:smalltongue:

Mauve Shirt
2008-01-22, 09:38 AM
Discombobulation.
Gargantuan.
Superfluous.
Electroencephalograph.

TRM
2008-01-22, 09:44 AM
I like the spanish word tartanudear, it rolls of the tongue weirdly.

Also:
Obsequious.

Terumitsu
2008-01-22, 10:05 AM
"Ambulatory" is alwas fun. As is "Octogon." "Octo"-anything really. But one that really takes the cake would be "Orangutan." Say it five times and tell me you didn't smile. Try it.

ArtifexFelicis
2008-01-22, 11:26 AM
Barbarian!

Looking at the original formation of the word as used by the Romans. It was for all foreigners who babbled.

"And this is mine, and this is mine, and this is mine, and all of this is mine. Cept that bit. I don't WANT that bit. But ALL of this is mine!"

truemane
2008-01-22, 11:33 AM
Some of my favourites:

1. Zymurgy - the study and science of fermentation.
2. Coulrophobia - fear of clowns
3. Ziggurat - village temple
4. Buckle - you can't say the word without sounding drunk.
5. Pedagogue - sounds like something dirty, but just means a teacher of children
5. Dystopia - the opposite of utopia. A world where everything sucks.
6. Gruntle - a real word. Opposite of disgruntle. It means to please or to satisfy. Never used since it sounds like it's own opposite. "Wow, I feel gruntled this morning!" Never works.

Best Latin word is 'i' - singluar imperative of the verb 'ire'. It means, "go!"

Means you can have a one letter sentence in Latin. "I!" "I, dammit! I said i!"

Best German word is unterseeboot (under-sea-boat). Gotta hand it to the Gemans. Efficient folks. They invent something new, and they say "We don't need a whole new word! We can just string together three old words into a massive and ungainly conglomeration!

Best English (British) slang is Brown Sauce, which is what they call HP Sauce. It's got a perfectly serviceable name right there on the label, but that's not good enough for the Brits! No sir. They need a WHOLE NEW WORD.

Also, kudos to ArtifexFelicis for defenstration. That would have been on my list had they not said it first.

Telonius
2008-01-22, 11:37 AM
Anything in Xhosha. Beautiful language, but it's just so strange compared to everything else out there.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-01-22, 11:38 AM
Clown.
star(which actually came from the professor who named them ´star´becouse of his ´staring´at them)

banjo1985
2008-01-22, 11:42 AM
Well I'm going to go for a fairly short word too, as in places it seems throwing out any freakishly long word counts as strange....anyhow, mine is probably:

zeitgeist - Can't remember what it means though.

squamous is pretty good too.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-01-22, 11:49 AM
Clown.
star(which actually came from the professor who named them ´star´becouse of his ´staring´at them)

smellie_hippie
2008-01-22, 12:00 PM
zeitgeist - Can't remember what it means though.

it means "spirit of the times" or "spirit of the now".

bosssmiley
2008-01-22, 01:56 PM
"Dyslexia" - just for the sheer *cruelty* of it.
"Sniglet" - a word coined by comedian Rich Hall. I think it means 'a concept we unaccountably don't have a word for'. Example: a name for the feeling you get when you're going to introduce someone to another person and you realise you've forgotten their name...
"Mellifluous" - it sounds exactly like what it means; how did they do that??? :smallconfused:

Mauve Shirt
2008-01-22, 02:03 PM
My favorite German word: Knoechelchen. It's fun to pronounce. :smalltongue:

unstattedCommoner
2008-01-22, 02:04 PM
"assoilzie" (http://www.webster-dictionary.net/definition/Assoilzie)

CurlyKitGirl
2008-01-22, 02:10 PM

New contribution... "fluffy". It's just entertaining to say and contemplate.

Red Dwarf!

Fact: the Italian and the French have no proper word for fluffy.

Other strange words:
Ubiquitous
Smeg
Contraflow
Neologism
Amaranthine
Cerulean
Chartreuse
Anthropophaginian (cannibal)
Arachnivorous (feeding on spiders)
Bibliophagist (someone who literally or figuratively devours books. Literally?

Tormsskull
2008-01-22, 02:42 PM
I'd have to go with "Inebriated". Its very fun to say when you yourself happen to be inebriated.

onasuma
2008-01-22, 02:54 PM
Well, although not english, its much better than the stuff so far. And yet i cant spell it...
Ah well, it translates as "the wife of the man who owns the factory which produces the lids for jars of jam" Its only one word in german.
And also, so I have a word in english, I didnt see anyone state flocinocinihilipilification, so yeah, that one. The act of assessing somethings value of worthless

Iudex Fatarum
2008-01-22, 04:02 PM
Genuphobia, fear of knees

Quixotic, Idealistic (scores deadly high in scrabble)

there are some other great phobias
Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, fear of long words

Carpetkiller
2008-01-22, 05:58 PM
other strange phobias are
Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia-Fear of the number 666
Linonophobia- Fear of string
Lalophobia- Fear of speaking
Lutraphobia- Fear of otters
Levophobia- Fear of things to the left side of the body

Tengu
2008-01-22, 06:31 PM
Best German word is unterseeboot (under-sea-boat). Gotta hand it to the Gemans. Efficient folks. They invent something new, and they say "We don't need a whole new word! We can just string together three old words into a massive and ungainly conglomeration!

Yup. Their expression for "sunbathe" is "Braun Werden", which literally means "to become brown". Oh, the poetry.

My favorite word is "Hyakugojyuuichi". It does not mean any thing and it is really hard to pronounce.

Reference, sanity-damaging link:
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/pika
Oh, and it does indeed mean "151".

Dwarkanath
2008-01-22, 11:53 PM
Comedian Bill Cosby has a bit where he talks about how strange the word "obey" sounds. Not sure I really agree.

My vote goes for any of those (sometimes ridiculously) long names used for species. "australopithecus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australopithecus)" comes to mind immediately.

And there's always "xyzzy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xyzzy)", but that's hardly a real word :smallbiggrin:

-- Dave

JakStone
2008-01-23, 12:48 AM
Syzygy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syzygy)

Because it sounds fun.

Also, palindrome, and aibohphobia, the fear of palindromes.

Shraik
2008-01-23, 02:02 PM
I might say the word "c'é" Its an italian word, and its not pronounced that weird, but i bet your go crazy trying to figure it out

Its pronounceed Chay

JasonDoomsblade
2008-01-23, 02:38 PM
The strangest word is Hippopotamonstraliequipdiphobia. This is a real word. I'm not joking. Anyone care to take a stab at what it means?

Arang
2008-01-23, 03:03 PM
The strangest word is Hippopotamonstraliequipdiphobia. This is a real word. I'm not joking. Anyone care to take a stab at what it means?

Means "no".

[/barbossa]

Actually it's fear of long words. Speaking of pirates, "disinclined" and "acquiesce" are good ones too. "Narcoleptic". "Logistical".

"Button".

Yeril
2008-01-23, 03:25 PM
I'd have to say..

Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia

Why? its the phobia of long words... ironic isn't it.

Edit; Yarg! Jason Ninja'd my word!

Woofsie
2008-01-23, 03:29 PM
Pogonology:

The study of beards.

...People actually study beards? :smallconfused:

I like superfluous.

Superfluous superfluous superfluous. :smallbiggrin:

Shademan
2008-01-23, 03:46 PM
Barbarian!

Looking at the original formation of the word as used by the Romans. It was for all foreigners who babbled.

"And this is mine, and this is mine, and this is mine, and all of this is mine. Cept that bit. I don't WANT that bit. But ALL of this is mine!"

actually... greeks used it first. "Balba" later became "barbarian".
"blah blah blah!"
;)

Melange_Pie
2008-01-23, 05:10 PM
I second "inebriated". I actually use that term quite a bit in my volcabulary. Just personal choice. I don't care if I sound a pratt.

I find it strange how in the French language, you'll get really elongated, pretty words such as "gateaux" or "squelette" or "bourguignonne" and a majority of the letters aren't even pronounced. It looks such a waste, but the words sound awful if you try to say them all.
The French language is all about decoration, I suppose.

Parvum
2008-01-23, 05:20 PM

Is it in the dictionary?

END REFERENCIAL HUMOUR.

Though this has been mentioned before, it's meaning has not: Floccinaucinihilipilification, to make irrellevant.

As emphasis, please veiw the word directly above the meaning.

Floccinaucinihilipilification.
To make irrelevant.

Quite the floccinaucinihilipilification.

Mando Knight
2008-01-23, 05:25 PM
Onomatopoeia.

It's a strange word that means in Greek, roughly, "the name of doing," and is the term used for words such as "bang," "Meow," "quack," etc.

Also, etc.

It's a contraction of the Latin et cetera, meaning "and the rest," such as it was used up by "quack."

chef781
2008-01-23, 05:42 PM
*ahem*

Antidisastablishmentareanism
It's the second longest word in the dictionary.
and yes. it is a word, GEEZ.

(an-ti-dis-a-stab-lish-ment-AREA-nism)
beat that!:elan:

chef781
2008-01-23, 05:48 PM
""Groggy" is a fun word to say.
Groggy groggy groggy groggy groggy groggy groggy groggy groggy grog--" WHUMP!

...Huh. :|

The Great Skenardo
2008-01-23, 05:49 PM
Bumbershoot: an umbrella.

"Oh dear, I seem to have forgotten my bumbershoot!"

Jalor
2008-01-23, 05:59 PM
Flabbergast, noodle, thwack, indubitably, and, most of all...

INCOGNITO!

I use it in conversation as often as possible.

North
2008-01-23, 06:03 PM
Qwerty

Q not followed by U :smalleek:

Balkash
2008-01-23, 10:23 PM
I'm gonna go out on an emo limb and say.

love

Bag_of_Holding
2008-01-23, 10:36 PM
Abbreviation is one that has puzzled me for a long time now. Abbreviating the word abbreviation would be a prime example of abbreviation.

Irenaeus
2008-01-24, 01:41 AM
In Norwegian I'll have to go with "minoritetsladningsbærerdiffusjonskoeffisientmåling sapparaturene" or "karbondioksidbrannslukningsapparatutsprøytningsdys ebruksanvisningvedlegginnholdsfortegnelsene".
My favorite German word is "Nahverteidigungswaffe", which means "close defense weapon" and is constructed in exactly the same manner as "Unterseeboot". The two Norwegian words mentioned above and the Swedish mentioned earlier works in the same manner about different subjects.

Bag_of_Holding
2008-01-24, 01:49 AM
"karbondioksidbrannslukningsapparatutsprøytningsdys ebruksanvisningvedlegginnholdsfortegnelsene".

OK, how do you pronounce that? :smalleek:

rubakhin
2008-01-24, 02:59 AM
Russian has a lot of weird words, but most of them are entirely filthy. Hrm, a weird thing about the language is that it lends itself very well to agglunative compounds, as Wikipedia puts it. It also offers up a more bizarre example than any I can think off of the top of my head:

металлоломообеспеченный (metallolomoobespechennyj), or "well-supplied with scrap iron."

Irenaeus
2008-01-24, 03:48 AM
OK, how do you pronounce that? :smalleek:As it is a compound word (like most of the strange examples from Germannic lanuages in this thread) it is much easier to pronounce than it looks. You simply divide it into the smaller word it's made up of and pronounce them one after another. After all, you don't usually pause between different words in most languages anyway, so compounds are not much more difficult than sentences.

This monster is much more intimidating than usual as it is a compound consisting entirely of compounds.

Breakdown:
Part 1:
A)karbondioksidbrannslukningsapparatutsprøytningsd yse
and
B)bruksanvisningvedlegginnholdsfortegnelsene

These two words above are still fairly large compounds that you really won't usually see in a sentence. We can break each of those further down into the following parts:

Part 2:
A) 1)karbondioksid 2)brannslukningsapparat 3)utsprøytningsdyse
B) 1)bruksanvisningvedlegg 2)innholdsfortegnelsene

Now we are getting somewhere! Each of these five words are still compounds, but they are compounds that are common enough that most Norwegians will not need to separate them further.

We can separate them into the respective words they are composed of just for our own enjoyment.

Part 2:
A) 1.1)karbon 1.2)dioksid 2.1)brann 2.2)sluknings 2.3)apparat 3.1)utsprøytnings 3.2)dyse
B) 1.1)bruks 1.2)anvisning 1.3)vedlegg 2.1)innholds 2.2)fortegnelsene

In English instead of saying "karbondioksidbrannslukningsapparatutsprøytningsdys ebruksanvisningvedlegginnholdsfortegnelsene", you could say "carbon-dioxide fire extinguisher apparatus exhaust nozzle user manual appendix indices" or, if English used more compounds:
"carbondioxidefireextinguisherapparatusexhaustnozzl eusermanualappendixindices".

The same goes for the even longer Swedish word mentioned earlier in this thread. Compounds rule! Learn Sanskrit!

Kami2awa
2008-01-24, 03:52 AM
Whelve.

To cover something with an upside-down bowl.

spawn_I
2008-01-24, 05:42 AM
I'll go for German "kugelschreiber" which means ... pen
To be more precise it means ball-point writer but this is pen I think...

Greek words are reaaaaly strange for other ppl [you propably know the phrase "it's all Greek to me"]

examples

ετερογχρονισμένα = eterogchronismena = in other times

δυσβάσταχτο = dysvastachto = unbearable

and many others...

Dumbledore lives
2008-01-24, 06:20 AM
Well, stolen from Wikipedia

Lopadotemachoselachogaleokranioleipsanodrimhypotri mmatosilphioparaomelitokatakechymenokichlepikossyp hophattoperisteralektryonoptekephalliokigklopeleio lagoiosiraiobaphetraganopterygon,

Which was made by a greek play wright

Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateapokaiwhenuakit anatahu Is the longest place name and it is from here, in New Zealand, Maori word. Here's a picture of its sign http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/56/Taumata_sign_2006.jpg .

Sorry if these have already been posted I was to lazy to read beyond the first page.

Irenaeus
2008-01-24, 06:29 AM
That's just Aristophanes screwing with our minds, though. He does that sometimes.

Edit: Oh, and I think the Norwegian placenames "Hell" and "Slettebakken" are pretty good if you know their meaning in English and Dutch respectively.

Archpaladin Zousha
2008-01-25, 10:21 AM
I'm surprised no one's mentioned the word that made Mary Poppins famous!

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!!!

The most interesting words in any language are the nonsense words.

Also, stang, a swearword in the Star Wars universe that supposedly originated on Alderaan.

MarshmeloOfHell
2008-01-26, 07:23 PM
Antidisestablishmentarianism.

I'm not positive if I spelled it right, but it's a real word :)!

TRM
2008-01-26, 07:26 PM
"Abuse" is fun to say if you pronounce it like "caboose" without the 'c'.
Say it out loud

Ethrael
2008-01-27, 05:38 AM
I don't know what the strangest is, but I find it hilarious that the English language has a work for to throw something out of a window: to defenestrate.

Irenaeus
2008-01-27, 05:59 AM
I don't know what the strangest is, but I find it hilarious that the English language has a work for to throw something out of a window: to defenestrate.It's a good one allright, but it is a Latin construction, which I believe was first made in Bohemia in relation to the Second Defenstration of Prague (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defenestrations_of_Prague#Second_Defenestration_of _Prague).

Sage of Laputa
2008-01-27, 11:25 AM
The word "syzygy" has always struck me as awesomely odd.

Mee
2008-01-27, 07:47 PM
I think Oxymoron is quite odd. But that's just me.:smallsmile:

seventhsamurai
2008-01-28, 09:37 AM
Chthonic. It's just an usual word.

Fay Graydon
2008-01-28, 09:47 AM
the word: "Strangest" is deffinatly the strangest word in the world:smalltongue:
but seriously the strangest word has got to be:
Pterodactyl

seriously, it's weird. (silent P, why?!)

Mephibosheth
2008-01-28, 10:15 AM
I agree with the others who have supported the strange words created by the agglutinative tendancies of German and throw out:

Donaudampfschifffahrtselektrizitätenhauptbetriebsw erkbauunterbeamtengessellschaft!

Apparently this is the longest word published in the German language, and means "the association subordinate officials of the head office management of the Danube steamboat electrical services." Yeah...

Edit:
I also like Schadenfreude - pleasure taken from someone else's misfortune

Fahrfergnugent - (I think that's how you spell it, my German's a bit rusty) the pleasure of driving

And finally, the lyrics to a song from the Telugu movie "Gitanjali" are a lot of fun to pronounce:
udugulu, padagulu, udagu vayasu dudaku tanuva nilavadu - I apologize if I've transliterated incorrectly. It's impossible to find good transliterations of these songs.

Irenaeus
2008-01-28, 12:14 PM
but seriously the strangest word has got to be:
Pterodactyl

seriously, it's weird. (silent P, why?!)I dunno, try asking your Psychologist.

The P of Pterodactyl is not silent in Norwegian, so I'm just going with the "cuz U gys R lazy" answer.:smallbiggrin:

Edit: Thats another good compound from the Germannic languages. So far in this thread, Swedish has the longest (published?) compound, followed by Norwegian, with German in a very decent third.
I must admit, if I'd just guessed, I would have thought German would blow us Scandinavians out of the water in this contest.

As for Schadenfreude, that's not weird, it's a really good word which I miss the equivalent of in English. It probably exists, but I just don't know about it.

Vella_Malachite
2008-01-29, 01:02 AM
I've always thought these words were hard to say without a straight face:

Raccoon,
Crustacean,
Mongoose,
Duck.

Prank just sounds odd.

Arachybutyrophobia has a weird meaning (the fear of having peanut butter stuck to the roof of your mouth [interrobang here (in and of itself a strange word...interrobang...)])

There's the word for the fear that somehow, somewhere, a duck is watching you (true!), but I can't remember it just now.

And my personal favourite:
Sphygomanometer!

It is the name (I think) for the machines that measure blood pressure with the little pump and the dial. It was on an ad for nursing rights.

Irenaeus
2008-01-29, 04:27 AM
Lots of good ones here! One comment:

There's the word for the fear that somehow, somewhere, a duck is watching you (true!), but I can't remember it just now.You are looking for the word Anatidaephobia, and it is only a real word because Gary Larson invented and published it, I'm afraid. That still counts, but it would be a lot cooler if someone in the olden days invented it for earnest use, and not for the far side.

Now that I have gotten to think about this a bit, two good words are the Chinese Wú or "無", which to me seems to be a kind of Schrödinger's answer to yes or no questions. If anyone feels they have a deeper linguistical understanding of Zen Buddhism beyond reading "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" and talking to the occasional spiritually-seeking martial arts practitioner (or actually knows any Chinese), please elaborate its meaning.

I also find the Sahidic Coptic preposition "ehrai", meaning upwards or downwards, to be very problematic.

skyclad
2008-01-29, 06:14 AM
NordÖstersjÖkustartilleriflygspaningssimulatoranlÄ ggNingsmaterielunderhÅllsuppfÖljningssystemdiskuss ionsInlÄggsfÖrberedelsearbeten is the strangest word in the world.

It's Swedish.

Flagstångsknoppsentreprenör

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-01-29, 06:20 AM
Practically any word that when you say a few times it loses all meaning. Like banana, or funnel.

Mauve Shirt
2008-01-29, 07:41 AM
Practically any word that when you say a few times it loses all meaning. Like banana, or funnel.

I think "what" works especially well for this.

Maroon
2008-01-29, 08:25 AM
I think the verb 'to formicate' takes the cake for sheer social awkwardness.

"Look at all those busy little ants!"

Setra
2008-01-29, 09:24 AM
I like the word Esoteric

Irenaeus
2008-01-29, 09:49 AM
I think the verb 'to formicate' takes the cake for sheer social awkwardness.

"Look at all those busy little ants!"Is that a verb? What does it mean, to try to be antlike? I couldn't find it in M-W. Or do you mean fornicate?

Ettlesby
2008-01-29, 10:08 AM
The word 'organs' springs to mind.

That's a hilarious word to just say out loud randomly.

Khanderas
2008-01-30, 04:30 AM
Sure, there are words out there that are longer, or more obscure, or even downright ironic, but I'll always have a place in my heart for mastication.
Yeah, my vote is for your word.

Zatyx
2008-01-30, 06:27 PM
The longest word in the english dictionary. Pnuemonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis=Blac k lung.

Also "Platypus".

And "soliloquy". Its fun to say!

GrassyGnoll
2008-02-03, 06:21 PM
Vivisect.

Why do we need a word to specify cutting someone open while the're still alive?

Also!

Defenestration.

The act of throwing someone out of a window.

I love the word defenestrate, it's ersatz that really gets me.

What is that "z" doing there? What's the rest of the word doing there?

Ceska
2008-02-03, 06:46 PM
^: Replacement? Huh? It's just a normal German word.

Right now I would say "love" for all connotations it is carrying.

potatocubed
2008-02-03, 06:55 PM
"Queueing", the only word in the English language to have five consecutive vowels. Useful to know if your Scrabble luck is anything like mine.

Thanatos 51-50
2008-02-03, 08:11 PM
I find many words immensly funny for no reason.

"Happy"
"Happiness"
"Million"
"David"
"Light"

anything with the "-ight" sound tacked on the end.

Ya Ta Hey!
2008-02-04, 01:46 PM
Ombudsman. Apparently, people in this position still are relavent enough that my university has one, but I can't imagine what they do. I'd wikipedia it, but that would kill the mystery and I think my mental image of it (magic carpets are invovled) is way more fun than knowing the truth.

H. Zee
2008-02-04, 02:48 PM
Spoon. That's a strange word. Try saying it over and over again.

Also: cheese, pudding, spork, monkey. Sometimes the simplest words can be the weirdest. :smallsmile:

Arcane_Secrets
2008-02-04, 11:38 PM
Uvula-it's the name for the small bit of flesh that dangles down at the back of your throat.

Karaswanton
2008-02-05, 12:38 AM
Omphaloskepsis:
The contemplation of one's navel.

That or duck.

BloodyAngel
2008-02-05, 01:18 AM
I second the word Incognito... And would like to add the british slang "Wanker". Also inconspicuious.

But then... my group played a Star Wars game where they named their freighter ship the "S.S. Inconspicuious". And yes... it was a smuggler ship. Their reasoning was "No-one will think REAL smugglers are stupid enough to name their ship something so stupidly obvious!" They may as well have named it the "S.S. Not transporting contraband, we promise."

In fact... like to add that any word becomes 40 times more hilarious when given an S.S and made into a boat's name. Try it. It's fun.

Krade
2008-02-06, 01:17 PM
Juxtaposition
Protopsaltis <-----Name of a guy I knew in High School
Quasar
Qwerty (It's a real word now)

That's all I can think of for now. But add to that list pretty much anything that starts with the letter 'Q'.

Rumda
2008-02-08, 01:33 PM
gazebo just gazebo (http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~lorch/humor/gazebo.html)

alchemyprime
2008-02-08, 01:40 PM
Ottentottentesttostelignen. I think I spelt it wrong, but my grandpa told it to me. It's a Flemish word that, literally, means "the tent were all the midgets live." It means "circus" more loosley.