PDA

View Full Version : Pixie Druid

Kazuel
2008-01-21, 08:33 PM
My brother is wanting to make a Pixie druid. I haven't seen the MM where it gives the PC stats for a Pixie but to my understanding they are a LA +4 with no racial HD. If he makes an ECL 8 Pixie Druid, he will essentially be a lvl 4 druid with 4D8 + Con bonus hit points, casting lvl 2 spells and all that good jazz. He is under the impression that he will get 8D8 + con bonus hit points and will be casting like a lvl 8 druid. I don't have a 3.5 monster manual or a DMG, please tell him I'm correct (or correct me so I'm not arguing incorrectly). Thanks in advance.

Wordmiser
2008-01-21, 08:35 PM
You're correct. Level Adjustment is just no fun.

Seffbasilisk
2008-01-21, 08:54 PM
As the previous poster said, Level Adjustments are no fun. They are 'dead' levels, with no benifit whatsoever. They exist to help balance out the benifits of playing a pixie.

So you are correct in your argument.

If your brother still wants to play a pixie, you might want to make Level Adjustment buyoff available.

At LA +4, he can buy off one of the level adjustments at level 12. (ECL 16).

That will reduce him to ECL 15, and make up for it slightly, but for the most part, those levels are lost.

Pixie isn't a good race for a caster.

raichi
2008-01-21, 09:02 PM
yeah you are right about level adjustment but pixies make up for it they get good flight 60 ft, greater invisibility limitless, dr 10 cold iron, spell resistance, special arrows, attribute modifiers, and spell like abilities.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2008-01-21, 09:08 PM
If by some act of Munchkinious(tm), the God of Powergaming(tm), you are able to lose that +4LA, Pixie would make a better Wilder IMO. More CHA Synergy, and you can really RP Wild Surge :biggrin:

kamikasei
2008-01-22, 04:53 AM
yeah you are right about level adjustment but pixies make up for it they get good flight 60 ft, greater invisibility limitless, dr 10 cold iron, spell resistance, special arrows, attribute modifiers, and spell like abilities.

An ECL 5 human druid has third level casting and Wild Shape if he feels the need to fly. An ECL 5 pixie druid has first level casting and racial abilities. I think the human is better off. Four caster levels is a lot of power.

mostlyharmful
2008-01-22, 06:27 AM
An ECL 5 human druid has third level casting and Wild Shape if he feels the need to fly. An ECL 5 pixie druid has first level casting and racial abilities. I think the human is better off. Four caster levels is a lot of power.

And only get ever more so. LA was formated for low level play in melee builds. There's just no comparison in terms of power for casters at mid to hig levels. It makes my pixie wiz sad:smallfrown:

Kazuel
2008-01-22, 05:44 PM
And only get ever more so. LA was formated for low level play in melee builds. There's just no comparison in terms of power for casters at mid to hig levels. It makes my pixie wiz sad:smallfrown:

you know when i read that, I thought it said "pixie wixie sad"...oh well. thanks again for the replies

osyluth
2008-01-22, 07:19 PM
Make him read the Lorwyn book. He should totally make an Iliona-inspired pixie.

Seffbasilisk
2008-01-22, 07:37 PM
If by some act of Munchkinious(tm), the God of Powergaming(tm), you are able to lose that +4LA, Pixie would make a better Wilder IMO. More CHA Synergy, and you can really RP Wild Surge :biggrin:

Excuse me, your ignorance is showing.

Powergamers =/= Munchkins. I don't know how many times I've said this, but I am acutely aware that I'm not the only one saying it. However, it is quite tiresome to say it over and over again.

Powergamers: Gamers who use their knowledge of the rules to build powerful characters, usually through combinations of rules.

Munchkins: Horrible little demon-spawn that should have been killed off as a breed. They're the 'player' that lies about the rules, blatently cheats on dice rolls, and whines/throws a temper tantrum when found out to keep his ill-gotten gains.

As a Powergamer, I have Favored Enemy: Munchkins +4, and Favored Enemy: Rules Lawyers +2.