PDA

View Full Version : What's the best race for a Bard?

SpaceGoji
2008-01-21, 10:32 PM
I've never really played DnD seriously, but I'm planning on actually trying in my current campaign. I've decided to shoot for the Master of Masks prestige class and figured going through Bard would be a safe bet; However, this is pretty much my first time ever playing a Bard.

We're starting at level 3 in an "evil" campaign, although I think it'll be more mischievous than outright evil. I've pretty much got a basic outline of my character down, but I seem to have trouble deciding on a race. My DM said he'd let us pick a LA +1 race with no penalty, which seems pretty awesome, but I have absolutely no idea what to pick. I ended up rolling abysmal stats, so I'm hoping a good race can back me up a little bit.

Pretty much anything from any 3.5 book is game. I'd really appreciate some suggestions, since I'm kind of a DnD n00b. :smallfrown:

Talya
2008-01-21, 10:37 PM
My DM said he'd let us pick a LA +1 race with no penalty, which seems pretty awesome, but I have absolutely no idea what to pick. I ended up rolling abysmal stats, so I'm hoping a good race can back me up a little bit.

Pretty much anything from any 3.5 book is game. I'd really appreciate some suggestions, since I'm kind of a DnD n00b. :smallfrown:

What's your charisma starting at?

Anyway, if he's allowing +1 level adjustment races with no penalty, i'd suggest catfolk for a bard. Seriously. +4 dex, +2 cha, 40' movement. That's hard to beat...

SpaceGoji
2008-01-21, 10:39 PM
What's your charisma starting at?

Anyway, if he's allowing +1 level adjustment races with no penalty, i'd suggest catfolk for a bard. Seriously. +4 dex, +2 cha, 40' movement. That's hard to beat...

I haven't set down my stats, but they ended up; 11, 13, 11, 10, 15, 14. They aren't AWFUL, but they definitely aren't the point buy I'm used to. And Catfolk actually sounds suprisingly sweet.

Chronicled
2008-01-21, 10:59 PM
If you're going to be playing somewhat competitive D&D (as it seems from your original post), you'll want to avoid Master of Masks. It's a quite weak Prestige Class.

I second the suggestion of Catfolk; the Chaos Gnome from Races of Stone might work as well.

Nebo_
2008-01-21, 11:02 PM
I've never really played DnD seriously, but I'm planning on actually trying in my current campaign. I've decided to shoot for the Master of Masks prestige class and figured going through Bard would be a safe bet; However, this is pretty much my first time ever playing a Bard.

Please don't, that class is awful.

The Draconic template isn't too bad.

DementedFellow
2008-01-21, 11:03 PM
Go against convention and choose half-orc.

Bards gain spells slowly so by the time the you need another level for classes you will have a point buy available.

SpaceGoji
2008-01-21, 11:08 PM
I wasn't really meaning DnD competitively, I just meant I was actually going to pay attention and stuff. :P But, if Master of Masks is so bad, what would you guys suggest as a Prestige for a Bard? I haven't really looked at many other Prestige classes for the Bard.

Fizban
2008-01-21, 11:16 PM
The correct answer was Sublime Chord. It gives you 9th level spells, and that's what really matters.

Mando Knight
2008-01-21, 11:24 PM
When I heard the catfolk suggestion, I thought: "Catgirl bard! Makes sense!":smallbiggrin:

A mischevious catgirl or draconic being would be amusing fluff-wise, says I.

Person_Man
2008-01-21, 11:25 PM
Read this thread (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=816095). Trust me.

As far as how to spend your +1 LA:

Mineral Warrior (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20031003e)

Master Template List (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=854328)

Master Race List (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=697653)

Guide to Templates (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=939615)

Level Adjusted Races (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a)

My suggestion is Half Fey for immunity to Enchantment effects and wings.

Voyager_I
2008-01-21, 11:37 PM
The Master of Masks' bonuses are pretty underwhelming for the levels you'll be getting them at. If you're going for reasonable power levels, PrC'ing a weak class into a weak prestige class probably isn't the best of paths...

Wordmiser
2008-01-22, 12:10 AM
PrC'ing a weak class into a weak prestige class probably isn't the best of paths...There's nothing inherently weak about the Bard beyond first level (when, I'll admit, it's probably the worst class around): Bard skills and spells never lose their value and Fascinate can be almost game-breaking depending on the campaign.

But yeah, Master of Masks sucks. Sublime Chord is incredible (it's in Complete Arcane, by the way).

The Lyric Thaumaturge from Complete Mage may be worth your consideration between levels 6 and 10.

I think a Draconic Human would probably be your best bet. Check Races of Destiny for details.

Two feats you should definitely look into are Lyric Spell from Complete Adventurer and Melodic Casting from Complete Mage.

Nebo_
2008-01-22, 12:24 AM
+1 for Sublime Chord. 'tis made of win and awesome.

Chronos
2008-01-22, 01:04 AM
There's nothing inherently weak about the Bard beyond first level (when, I'll admit, it's probably the worst class around):Eh, comparisons at first level are always tough, since everyone pretty much sucks at 1st level.

Ricard Jammison
2011-02-25, 08:11 AM
I wasn't really meaning DnD competitively, I just meant I was actually going to pay attention and stuff. :P But, if Master of Masks is so bad, what would you guys suggest as a Prestige for a Bard? I haven't really looked at many other Prestige classes for the Bard.

I'd go with Dashing Swordsman... Seriously, converting performance and charisma into melee attack and damage, that's pretty epic for a bard.

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Dashing_Swordsman_%283.5e_Prestige_Class%29

Daftendirekt
2011-02-25, 08:23 AM
Ya know, I think Master of Masks is an awesome class flavor-wise, so ignore all these minmaxers saying "it sucks" and do what you want.

Coidzor
2011-02-25, 09:28 AM
Virtuoso (Complete Adventurer) as the follow up to Sublime Chord is fairly popular as well, since it advances sublime chord's casting and gives a bit more.

And in regards to race... If you have dragon magic on the table, a dragonblood subtype race like silverbrow human or kobold would allow you to grab dragonfire inspiration to add +xd6 in energy damage to your allies attacks with your inspiration instead of a flat +X.

Though, most pertinently, what sources do you have available?

Hazzardevil
2011-02-25, 10:07 AM
(when, I'll admit, it's probably the worst class around

Now to manifest my laser gun with call weaponry!
Fire!

gomipile
2011-02-25, 10:24 AM
+1 to Kobold for Dragonfire Inspiration.

Telonius
2011-02-25, 10:31 AM
Ya know, I think Master of Masks is an awesome class flavor-wise, so ignore all these minmaxers saying "it sucks" and do what you want.

A two-level dip is decent. You'll only lose one caster level. Archmage, Lord (bonus to Diplomacy), and Gladiator (Proficient in all martial and exotic weapons) are good choices for the three masks. After that, there's no use in staying with the PrC.

EDIT: For races, Lesser Aasimar is a +0 LA race with a charisma bonus. I believe it's from Players' Guide to Faerun.

Obrysii
2011-02-25, 10:35 AM
Merfolk is a flavorful Bard race.

Dex +2, Con +2, Cha +2
Amphibious
Speed: 5ft., Swim 50ft.

Not too bad for LA +1.

Gullintanni
2011-02-25, 10:46 AM
Virtuoso (Complete Adventurer) as the follow up to Sublime Chord is fairly popular as well, since it advances sublime chord's casting and gives a bit more.

And in regards to race... If you have dragon magic on the table, a dragonblood subtype race like silverbrow human or kobold would allow you to grab dragonfire inspiration to add +xd6 in energy damage to your allies attacks with your inspiration instead of a flat +X.

Though, most pertinently, what sources do you have available?

The default build here is usually (at least given my research) either:

Bard 8/Virtuoso 2/Sublime Chord 2/Virtuoso 8 or
Bard 6/x 2/Virtuoso2/Sublime Chord 2/Virtuoso 8

I actually like Paladin of Freedom as that x 2 for Cha to saves, but there are probably stronger class choices.

If you're going to go with the former build, I like Aasimar at +1 LA. +2 Wis/+2 Cha is nice, plus some minor resistances and martial weapon proficiencies are cool. Easy in for archery. Outsider type also grants you access to some Alter Self cheesiness.

Dragonfire Inspiration makes Bards out-of-control powerful if you really optimize it, to the point that I find it a little bit game breaking...though I suppose if you're going to dip your toe into the Alter Self/Outsider end of the pool, then you might as well dive in.

Zeb The Troll
2011-02-26, 12:40 AM
Troll Patrol: Putting this thread back to rest.