PDA

View Full Version : GenCon 2008 Official Planning Thread

Pages : [1] 2

AngelSword
2008-01-22, 12:36 AM
I know, I know. I'm taking forever to get the Northeast meetup organized. But, to make it up to you guys, I figured I'd spearhead the organizing of the GenCon 2008 Meetup.

Now, some of you are probably thinking, "Why are you doing that when you can't even organize your own?" Well, there's a good reason. The NE meetup is dependent on having a house in which to hold the meetup. Since I don't know when that'll happen, but I do know when GenCon will be, it makes sense.
>_>
<_<
Well, it makes sense to me, damn it.:smallmad:

So, heretofore is the "GenCon 2008 Official Planning Thread." ::fanfare::

Discuss lodging, group events, so on and so forth.

First order of business: who will be willing to host the Official Party Room?

Confirmed Attendees:
Alarra; AngelSword; Atreyu the Masked LLama; Balthor; Braewe; Catlover; Ceika; El Jaspero, the Pirate King; EvilJames; Fusecase; HaloedOne; Homestar3.14; Indurain; Krade; Kyrian; Lex-kat; Lord Tartaraus; Lykan; Nerd-o-Rama; Nobodylovesyou44; PhoeKun; PirateJesus; potatocubed; Ranis; Renegade Paladin; SMEE; soozenw; SweetRein; Tantolian; Thes Hunter; Vael; Walking Druid; wxDruid; Zeb the Troll
Total: 34

Important Links:
Registration Information (http://www.gencon.com/2008/indy/attendees/registration.aspx)

Registration Main Page (http://registration.gencon.com/indy/index.cgi)

Trade Day Information (http://www.gencon.com/2008/indy/TradeDay-Prof/default.aspx)

Trade Day Registration (https://registration.gencon.com/indy/eventreg.cgi?ew=events10&eid=18)

Very Important Gamer Page (http://www.gencon.com/2008/indy/attendees/vig.aspx) (Under Construction)

Official GenCon Meetup Location and Time - Info thanks to Ranis

We will be meeting once again at the second floor of the Serpentine Lobby at 8PM on Saturday of GenCon which, if my memory serves me right, will be August 16th. After the meetup with pictures and such, we'll go grab some dinner somewhere and such in addition to just having fun and doing whatever.

Trog
2008-01-22, 12:40 AM
*pokes head in*

Trog will be willing to CRASH the Official Party Room. :smallamused:

Then make you all go to the Trogmobile™ and get the spare booze! :smalltongue:

AngelSword
2008-01-22, 12:42 AM
Well, I'd offer to host the Party room, but I realized that I did a lot more sleeping than I intended last year, so I wouldn't make a very good host.

Zeb The Troll
2008-01-22, 12:53 AM
*pops into thread, listens for party details*

Nerd-o-rama
2008-01-22, 12:56 AM
Announcing, in a fashion completely unsolicited by the event "organizer"...

Sigl Prep 4th Edition
Debuting at GenCon Indy, 2008

*ninja vanish*

SMEE
2008-01-22, 04:55 AM
Well, I'll likely be in Florida from August, 9th to Aug, 13th.
Then I'll take a plane to Indianapolis. I'll likely be staying in the Hilton Downtown.

I'll have more detail by march or april, when I book my trip.

Hope to see many of you there. :smallsmile:

potatocubed
2008-01-22, 06:56 AM
I'm planning on going to GenCon this year.

Then again, I plan a great many things.

smellie_hippie
2008-01-22, 07:02 AM
I'm in for trying to be a part of this.

Keep me informed of ticket purchase, prices and such.

Maybe even updating the first post as new/more current information becomes available?

Zeb The Troll
2008-01-22, 07:12 AM
hippie, that's awesome. Would Mountain Faerie be coming too?

AmberVael
2008-01-22, 08:52 AM
I'm definitely going to try and come this year, and I think I'll be able to manage it. So far my plans consist of 'show up' but I'm sure I can get some details worked up later. :smalltongue:

smellie_hippie
2008-01-22, 08:58 AM
hippie, that's awesome. Would Mountain Faerie be coming too?

Probably... we just gotta figure who we can sell the kids to leave the kids with. :smallamused:

:smalleek: I just struck through the wrong part... didn't I?

Thes Hunter
2008-01-22, 09:01 AM
According to the GEN Con Registration page (http://registration.gencon.com/indy/index.cgi)

Badge Registration: February 3th (Noon PST) - June 22th (Midnight PDT)
Event Registration: TBD - June 22th (Midnight PDT)
Hotel Registration begins February 4th at 9:00 AM PST

Prereg badges are $65
Onsite $75

There is something about librarians and educators getting in for $30 pre-reg /$35 on-site. But the details link is broken currently.

And you can always run events as well: http://www.gencon.com/2007/indy/events/running/howto.aspx

However the details are sketchy at this time. Running events usually gets you stuff, like free badges and etc. But from what I have heard you have to run alot to get one of them.

Also, you can volunteer your time helping with registration and etc, but again, from what I understand you do have to volunteer a decent sum in order to get in for free, but if you don't mind that it is always an option for peeps. :smallbiggrin:

wxdruid
2008-01-22, 09:07 AM
I plan on coming this year. :smallbiggrin: and bringing Catlover with me again.

SMEE
2008-01-22, 09:14 AM
I'm definitely going to try and come this year, and I think I'll be able to manage it. So far my plans consist of 'show up' but I'm sure I can get some details worked up later. :smalltongue:

You'll be there, rest assured. Even if I have to drag you with me to assure that it'll happen, love. :smallwink:

DungeonMaster77
2008-01-22, 09:43 AM
Wow, expensive...Not sure if I'll be able to go this year, as previously planned.

checks calendar

Hmm...with a vacation to Wisconsin planned this summer in July, and a powerful need to make money...hmmm...it doesn't look like it is going to happen this year. Looks like I'll have to wait until next year if the stars align in just the right way.

Man, what I wouldn't do for 5,000 extra exp and the ability to cast 9th level cleric spells...

The Valiant Turtle
2008-01-22, 12:15 PM
I'm almost certainly coming this year. I live about 40 minutes south of Indy, so I'm close enough I could drive to and from home if I need to.

On the other hand, the Ohio meetup was so much fun I'm not sure if I want to interrupt the meetup for a Con. :smallwink:

AmberVael
2008-01-22, 12:58 PM
You'll be there, rest assured. Even if I have to drag you with me to assure that it'll happen, love. :smallwink:

:smallredface:
Well, I think we can guess that I'll be flying in from Florida and staying with a certain someone.

AngelSword
2008-01-22, 01:08 PM
There is something about librarians and educators getting in for $30 pre-reg /$35 on-site. But the details link is broken currently.

You wouldn't happen to know if this applies to education students, would you?

RTGoodman
2008-01-22, 01:13 PM
Well, starting in May I'm supposed to be getting a job for a year or so while I'm taking some time off before grad school.

According to Expedia, a plane ticket is gonna run me $250 (and is my main option, considering my Jeep probably wouldn't make it that far). Then I'd have to pay for hotel accommodations (or learn to live like a hobo for a few days), buy food, pay for admission, and (of course) have some moneys left over for souvenirs. If I can get all that money together, I'd like to go, but it doesn't look good right now... :smallmad:

Trog
2008-01-22, 01:29 PM
There is something about librarians and educators getting in for $30 pre-reg /$35 on-site. But the details link is broken currently

Don't choo NO da Dewey Dec-I-mal seestem!?! [/Conan]

Indurain
2008-01-22, 01:33 PM
Don't choo NO da Dewey Dec-I-mal seestem!?! [/Conan]

I'm going to take this as Trog's RSVP saying he's coming.

AND I'LL HEAR NOTHING TO THE CONTRARY!

(Naturally this means that Zuzu and I will be there...with bells on.)

(By bells, I mean pants.)

(By pants, I mean no pants.)

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2008-01-22, 03:00 PM
Well, if Vael can get to Johnson City, Tennessee odds are that someone there can help spirit her the rest of the way to Indiana. Of course, she'll have to chip in for gas.

SMEE
2008-01-22, 03:30 PM
Well, if Vael can get to Johnson City, Tennessee odds are that someone there can help spirit her the rest of the way to Indiana. Of course, she'll have to chip in for gas.

We'll be flying from Florida to Indianapolis, LLama. I got it covered. :smallwink:

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2008-01-22, 03:50 PM
We'll be flying from Florida to Indianapolis, LLama. I got it covered. :smallwink:

Oh neat! I see upon closer reading of Vael's post that this is indeed the case. *looks embarrassed and goes to read comic books*

The Valiant Turtle
2008-01-22, 04:39 PM
Oh neat! I see upon closer reading of Vael's post that this is indeed the case. *looks embarrassed and goes to read comic books*

Yes, but if rtg0922's location is correct it could be a viable option for him.

Alarra
2008-01-23, 05:11 PM
I will be there. I don't know what my plans are yet however.

Lykan
2008-01-23, 05:25 PM
I'm gonna try to come, but it's iffy... Mum has a tendency to think the worst if I ever try to venture from home.

EDIT: Apparently I will not be going. :smallannoyed:

EDIT 2: Well, actually, there's still hope. >.>

wxdruid
2008-01-23, 06:31 PM
I'll bring a unique military coin....just so I can drop it.

AngelSword
2008-01-23, 07:43 PM

A unique coin? Very well.

::ponders::

Trog
2008-01-24, 09:22 AM

Is it the one I designed? Probably not.

wxdruid
2008-01-24, 12:51 PM
Trog...you were in the military? hehe I can picture that now.

Renegade Paladin
2008-01-24, 05:04 PM
I don't know if I'll be able to make it; getting sued will probably have a severely detrimental effect on my finances by then. We'll see.

wxdruid
2008-01-24, 05:06 PM
Catlover and I will miss you if you can't come Renegade Paladin.

Trog
2008-01-24, 06:09 PM
Trog...you were in the military? hehe I can picture that now.

Heh. Me too.

Private Trog! What is your major malfunction?! :smallmad:
Sir! Trog doesn't have a malfunction sir! :smalleek:
Why the hell do you keep saying "Trog" private? You think you're special talking about yourself like that? :smallmad:
Sir no sir! Trog is just a soldier sir!
Gaddammit private if I hear your name one more time I'll have you digging latrines for the rest of your damn tour, you hear me? :smallfurious:
Sir, yes sir! :smalleek:
Good! Now Repeat after me: "Digging latrines is my life." :smallamused:
... um... are you sure you want -
Didn't you hear me you earless freak?! I said repeat after me!! :smallfurious:
Drinking canteens is Trog's life!
Ah-HA!! Caught you you smarmy little twit! Now get out of here and go begin your tour long duty! :smallfurious: :smallfurious:
Uh... Yes, sir! :smallbiggrin:

*Heads to the PX to load up on Gin & Juice for his canteen*

No, I designed a challenge coin for the Badger State Chapter of the 82nd Airborne Div. Assoc. 'S'truth. :smallbiggrin:

wxdruid
2008-01-24, 06:27 PM
Oh really.....:smallbiggrin: Do you happen to have a picture of it? I'm mighty curious.

ZombieRockStar
2008-01-24, 10:21 PM
I might come this year. I can't really evaluate my chances, what with it being January and all, but last year was too much fun for me to wilfully miss out again, so tentatively put me down to come down with the no-pants guy.

AngelSword
2008-01-24, 10:38 PM
Important Links

Registration Information (http://www.gencon.com/2008/indy/attendees/registration.aspx)

Registration Main Page (http://registration.gencon.com/indy/index.cgi)

Trade Day Information (http://www.gencon.com/2008/indy/TradeDay-Prof/default.aspx)

Trade Day Registration (https://registration.gencon.com/indy/eventreg.cgi?ew=events10&eid=18)

Very Important Gamer Page (http://www.gencon.com/2008/indy/attendees/vig.aspx) (Under Construction)

Registration begins 3 February for all badge types.

Upon further review, Trade Day is a different event, running during GenCon, which seems to be more seminar than convention.

Nebo_
2008-01-24, 11:11 PM
Is anyone coming to GenCon Australia?

Thes Hunter
2008-01-27, 12:17 AM
I looked into what it takes to get a Free GM badge, and of course it is a bit of a Gygaxian process.

There is a points process, so like it's different for each type of event you run and etc. But if you run 6 players in an RPG you only have to run (2) 6 hour events and a 4 hour event to get a free badge.

All the various details can be found in the document downloadable here:
http://community.gencon.com/files/folders/pmg/entry81972.aspx (http://community.gencon.com/files/folders/pmg/entry81972.aspx)

You do have to scan down to page 18 before you get to the details on what it takes to get a free badge. While having to pay for your badge up front but getting a reimbursement later on does kinda suck, it's at least an option for some of the people who would like a slightly cheaper con experience.

Trog wants his freedom to attend the con at his leisure, I am considering maybe running something. Don't know though. I am not as good of a GM as he is. :smalltongue:

AngelSword
2008-01-27, 12:41 AM
Oh, if anyone is wondering, I've registered as being with the group, Giant in the Playground.

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2008-01-27, 02:40 PM
As always, what I can do depends on what the school I work at chooses to do. I'm sorry, but I can't be more specific than that.

Balthor
2008-02-04, 09:19 AM
STAB!......uh.....I mean....:smallredface:
I will be there!!! Not sure on event's I will be attending though. i am aiming for T.D. and Killer breakfast, but other than that.....any news on the GITP seminars yet? i attempt to attend those all if possible...kinda wrecked my plans last year when Rich had to miss....those were the only things i had been able to sign up for due to cash shortage last year. But it was still a good time. And i am signed up with the Grey Wolf Gaming Society. Look for the family trailing 4 kids........and one slightly insane father trying to ditch them.......I'm kidding! I'm.....here they come.... RUN!!!

potatocubed
2008-02-04, 06:08 PM
Got my ticket and hotel room booked.

Still need a plane ticket, but that can wait until I get paid again.

So yeah, I can confirm my presence. Anyone else getting in early?

AngelSword
2008-02-04, 08:15 PM
I've been waiting for the badge to go on sale, and here they have.

::goes to buy::

I was looking into information for events (for the sake of having an "official" GitP meeting), but the GenCon site doesn't want to cooperate with me. :smallsigh:

SMEE
2008-02-04, 08:26 PM
Since I'll need an international credit card to buy those, I'll have to wait until late march to get them, and to book my flight and my hotel room.

But I will be there, no matter what. :smallsmile:

El Jaspero, the Pirate King
2008-02-04, 09:01 PM
Hey gang,

Sorry, I was on the road for much of January and not doing a great job of keeping up with Stuff. For those who will be bringing their transport, Castle Jaspero will again be open for visitors.

That said, it's not a first-come, first-serve deal. First lodgings will be awarded to official Friends of Castle Jaspero(TM), because that's just how things work around here. Some people know which candles operate the secret bookcase, and some need training. You know how it is.

As for the Con itself, I will likely be attending all four days. Mrs. Jaspero and I will almost certainly be doing NASCRAG again this year (Team Yoyodyne: REPORT!) but aside from that and whatever Iron Heroes things are happening, I don't have many plans at this point.

Balthor
2008-02-05, 08:01 AM
well.... I tried to get my tickets(have to buy three now....daughter turns 9 next Monday), but for some reason the Emerald Card I got from HR Block won't work on the site. Sooo, looks like today I go into HR Block with a roadflare vest(supposeed to look like dynomite) and demand they buy my tickets.....or i could just get the money transfered over to my bank account and try going from there. but the Vest just sounds like more fun. Any way. not sure if I am getting a room yet or just staying at the sister-in-laws again. See you all there!

Ranis
2008-02-05, 11:36 AM
I just got my email for my free 4-day pass to GenCon that I won in the Gears of War tourney there last year, so I'll most certainly be there. :)

Dallas-Dakota
2008-02-05, 11:56 AM
If all go'es well, I'l be there next year.
Then you'l have a Dutch GitP'er there!:smallbiggrin:

Balthor
2008-02-07, 10:20 PM
YES!!!!!
After much moaning and groaning about the utter and total lack of useabality of my HR Block Emerald card, i have finaly gotten funds transfered and have purchased tickets!

Ya know? me. Sitting right there behind the Llama...waiting. (on the confermed list) is just perfect. :smallsmile:

AngelSword
2008-02-07, 11:15 PM
List of confirmed attendees, as well as the important links section, have been added to the first post.

wxdruid
2008-02-08, 11:51 PM
Mark myself and Catlover as coming, wouldn't miss this for anything.

Thes Hunter
2008-02-09, 01:07 AM
And I didn't just put those links up for the good of the populance:smallwink: .

I will be coming. There ain't no way my Trog is going to a gaming convention without me there.

*jealously guards him!*

AngelSword
2008-02-14, 03:08 AM
I have the feeling that this will come up eventually, so let me be the first to breach the subject.

Who is willing and able to take in people for sleeping/rooming? I will have a sofa bed for use by a person (or couple). And, if people are really willing/desperate, I'm sure there'll be plenty of floorspace.

Castle Jaspero® has mentioned having room, but only to an exclusive list.

Anyone else?

Balthor
2008-02-18, 08:07 AM
Would love to offer up space...however, having 4 kids along and staying with sister-in-law, kinda puts a crimp in that. Any word yet on the gitp booth? will Rich be attending this year?

Zeb The Troll
2008-02-19, 02:41 AM
To the point of rooming and boarding, Alarra and I need to get ourselves situated before we can figure out what kind of space we'll have available.

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2008-02-19, 08:03 PM
Well, it seems that fate has struck a nasty blow. The busiest time of the year falls right around GenCon weekend which means that unless the school closes (not am impossibility mind you) , I won't be able to make it. Yes, I'm still scheming and grasping at straws, but right now it doesn't look good.

Andre Fairchilde
2008-02-19, 08:07 PM
What's GenCon? Why have I never heard of it. Is it bigger than the Con of the North?

AngelSword
2008-02-19, 08:37 PM
From Wikibot 5,000 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GenCon):

Gen Con is the one of the largest and most prominent gaming conventions in North America. It was founded in 1968. Gen Con 2002 brought in about 26,000 attendees; which makes the convention similar in size to E3, Dragon Con and Origins. Gen Con is currently held in Indianapolis, Indiana. Gen Con UK conventions have also been held in the UK in a variety of cities. Gen Con Paris was held in France in April 2006 and again in 2007, and a Gen Con is scheduled to be held in Brisbane, Australia in July of 2008. On February 15, 2008, Gen Con LLC announced that it filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. Gen Con Indy 2008 is expected to continue as planned.

>_>
<_<

::plots the kidnapping of a certain llama::

wxdruid
2008-02-19, 08:40 PM
I'll join you with planning the kidnapping of a llama.

El Jaspero, the Pirate King
2008-02-19, 08:42 PM
Castle Jaspero is, at this moment, full. I only have so many kitchen slaves, you know!

Balthor
2008-02-20, 08:16 AM
I have been known to delve into a little Llama hunting now and then :xykon: ...... I could try to help

Trog
2008-02-20, 09:31 AM
*tip toes in wearing a tan and orange leather armor hunters cap and jacket and carrying a huge arquebus. Raises finger to his toothy maw*

Shhhh! Be vewy vewy qwiet. We're hunting wwamas.... hahahahahahahaha

Wwama twacks!

*follows hoofprints to a hole in the ground*

Wwama hole!

*sticks head into hole*

Awight you wascawy wwama... come on out or Trog'll bwast you to smitheweens!

Ranis
2008-02-20, 09:59 AM
By the way, Lucasarts is suing GenCon for about four different things, and, GenCon is filing for chapter 11 bankruptcy. So.

Expect things to be more expensive this year.

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2008-02-20, 10:18 AM
Yeah, it looks like I'm out for Gen Con on an official basis. I'm being forced to work that Saturday, as well.

*grumbles*

Well, that's what dedication to a job will get ya, I suppose. I'm going to miss you all so insanely much. We'll just have to make up for it at the other meet-ups.

SMEE
2008-02-20, 12:50 PM
Nooooo! :smallfrown:

I wanted to see Llama at GenCon. :smallfrown:

I hope you make it to the Trogland meeting then... I can't go to the US and not meet Llama... :smallfrown:

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2008-02-20, 12:53 PM
Nooooo! :smallfrown:

I wanted to see Llama at GenCon. :smallfrown:

I hope you make it to the Trogland meeting then... I can't go to the US and not meet Llama... :smallfrown:

Don't worry, lass. I'll be at that one. Its taking place 5 minutes from home.

Zeb The Troll
2008-02-20, 05:09 PM
Sad, no LLama at GenCon.

Fortunately, SMEE, seeing the LLama in his Natural Habitat of Johnson City will prove to be at least as equally rewarding.

*scratches LLama on the head*

We'll miss you though, buddy. Now who will carry all of our nifty cool purchases? :smallcool:

Balthor
2008-02-21, 08:07 AM
I saw about the Ch. 11. But I missed on the sueing. where can I find that at?

Ranis
2008-02-21, 08:35 AM
Right here (http://www.rebelscum.com/story/front/Lu ... 112361.asp), it's pretty serious stuff that GenCon just didn't do. I'm not really surprised, though-in a conglomeration of gamers, procrastination tends to be a strong point.

wxdruid
2008-02-21, 08:55 AM
That link doesn't work for me.

Balthor
2008-02-21, 09:30 PM
I found it. They owe for alot of crap, but they are committed to Indy through 2010, and they filed ch. 11, which means they are re-arranging their debt to stay in buisness.

Renegade Paladin
2008-04-24, 12:40 PM
VICTORY IS MINE!

To be more specific, I've secured the weekend off, and I'm squirreling away cash so the lawyers can't find it. (:smalltongue:) GenCon, here I come!

WalkingTarget
2008-04-24, 01:00 PM
I'll be at GenCon. Dunno if I'll be free for any official meet-up, though.

wxdruid
2008-04-24, 06:30 PM
Glad to hear it Renegade Paladin, I'll be looking for you.

potatocubed
2008-04-24, 06:32 PM
I'll be at Gencon, assuming my bank sorts out my card in time for me to buy a ticket. *shaky fist*

I'm going to be spending most of my time meeting random people at this rate. :smalltongue:

Cobra_Ikari
2008-04-24, 06:33 PM
Oh, this looks fun! *waits for protean schedules to solidify*

Balthor
2008-04-28, 07:11 AM
Well i have purchased tickest, and will be attending the Saturday noon Tru Dungeon run. I am also doing the "Way of the Sword" workshop with my son. I wanted to get into a few other events but that is pretty much all I have so far.

soozenw
2008-04-29, 09:28 AM
We're going. We are staying at a new hotel (it isn't even open yet) called Staybridge Suites, 3 blocks south of the convention center. If you don't have rooms yet, I highly recommend trying there. We got a 2 bedroom suite (with FULL kitchen) for less than the price of a regular room in the Marriot. woo! And they have free breakfast. hehe.

We are going to be down there Wednesday-Sunday, but we won't be out late at night, since we are taking the munchkin, who will only be 1.

Oh, and I signed up for a couple seminars. I'm rather disappointed in the seminars this year. They are practically repeats of the ones 2 years ago (we didn't go last year since we had a newborn).

Zeb The Troll
2008-04-29, 01:29 PM
Lucky you. I just called and after a bit of a run around was told they're booked. It doesn't look good for getting anywhere near walking distance at this point without waiting for someone to cancel and hope to be able to pounce.

soozenw
2008-04-29, 01:33 PM
Lucky you. I just called and after a bit of a run around was told they're booked. It doesn't look good for getting anywhere near walking distance at this point without waiting for someone to cancel and hope to be able to pounce.

They must have just booked up then. As of last weekend, they still had rooms. :( We booked a month ago and were told that we were one of the 1st reservations.

There is a new Comfort Suites opening too this summer right by there, have you tried there?

Zeb The Troll
2008-04-29, 02:13 PM
Just did. Thanks, soozenw. It's not as nice, but it's within walking and it has free wireless, so it'll do.

soozenw
2008-04-29, 02:26 PM
Woohoo! I think it is actually right next to the other one. We booked at Comfort 1st, but found the Staybridge the same day and decided to switch. hehe. Maybe I can sneak you in for free breakfast. :smallwink:

Indurain
2008-04-29, 02:31 PM
Just thought I'd make it official. I am in for GenCon!

All you Southern Ontarians needing a ride. You know where to find me.

WalkingTarget
2008-04-29, 02:51 PM
Just did. Thanks, soozenw. It's not as nice, but it's within walking and it has free wireless, so it'll do.

Heh, I think that's where I'm staying too, Zeb.

AngelSword
2008-04-29, 05:13 PM
List of attendees has been updated. And I'd like to reiterate that I do have a foldout couch for those in need of it, and floor space for those who are desperate.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-05-05, 11:44 AM
Attention, all fans of Sigil Prep (http://www.sigilprep.com), if any happen to be hanging around and going to GenCon. Some friends of the setting creator and best DM ever Patrick "Captain Swift" Duke are holding a little get-together during the Con

The GenCon shindig will now officially start at Jillian's on Saturday at 8pm. This is not long after Swift's 4e game ends, so anyone who wants to is welcome to meet up with us at the game location and walk over to Jillian's with us all.

I am expecting that enough people show up for Swift to not have to buy himself a single drink all night. So spread the word! I don't wanna be disappointed.Anyone wanting to show up, hang out with people, and say hi to semi-internet celebrity Captain Swift should come.

PS Don't ask me where Jillian's is, as this is my first year going to GenCon.

tyckspoon
2008-05-05, 10:09 PM
PS Don't ask me where Jillian's is, as this is my first year going to GenCon.

141 S. Meridian, a couple blocks south of Monument Circle. Pretty hard to miss; Monument Circle and Meridian are major navigational marks for Downtown Indy. It's also just across the street from Circle Centre mall and a couple blocks east of the RCA Dome and attached convention center.. quite hard to get lost if you're headed there.

Incidentally, I live in Indy and am planning on attending at least one day. I don't have space to host a guest, but could probably provide a ride if anybody ends up needing a lift from a hotel to the con.

AngelSword
2008-05-20, 08:16 PM
From an email send to me by Gen Con, LLC:

INDIANAPOLIS (May 19, 2008) - Gen Con is pleased to announce that once again Wizards of the Coast, Inc., will be a co-sponsor of Gen Con Indy. Fans of all ages come to Gen Con each year to see and experience the latest in analog and digital gaming, and Wizards’ participation is a highlight for many fans. This year, Wizards of the Coast will be showing off their latest offerings, including the release of Dungeons & Dragons® 4th Edition.

Trog
2008-05-20, 09:06 PM
CO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-N!!!!!:furious:
[/shatner]

So currently I am signed up for Gen Con but diddly, really, for events. Most of which were closed like two days after registration open (Curse you early birds :smalltongue: ). So I'm curious what people are signed up for. :smallbiggrin:

Also I plan to run a 4.0 DnD The Town mini adventure for those interested in holing up somewhere to do so.

wxdruid
2008-05-20, 09:10 PM
Hm, with you as the DM? Sounds like fun.

AngelSword
2008-05-20, 09:40 PM
So currently I am signed up for Gen Con but diddly, really, for events. Most of which were closed like two days after registration open (Curse you early birds :smalltongue: ). So I'm curious what people are signed up for. :smallbiggrin:

Wait...you can sign up for events?:smalleek:

When did this malarkey start?

Zeb The Troll
2008-05-20, 11:01 PM
Meh, I'm not signed up for anything either. I figure I'll do what I did last year and wander aimlessly from point to point.

Also, I'd like to register for the Town session with Trog. I haven't played even 3.5 D&D for some time and I'd like to see what the ruleset looks like as much as I can.

wxdruid
2008-05-20, 11:03 PM
I prefer to play D&D with people I know anyhow, and Trog? Well who could refuse that...

Also, catlover won't be coming, sorry for anyone who wanted to scratch under her chin. Her godmother is kidnapping her that week.

Ranis
2008-05-20, 11:21 PM
Official GenCon Meetup Location and Time

We will be meeting once again at the second floor of the Serpentine Lobby at 8PM on Saturday of GenCon which, if my memory serves me right, will be August 18th. After the meetup with pictures and such, we'll go grab some dinner somewhere and such in addition to just having fun and doing whatever.

Also, if anyone wants to play Illuminati for like forever on Saturday evening then let me know and we'll head to the area where we can play it is located. A game of Illuminati can well take upwards around 6 hours.

Zeb The Troll
2008-05-20, 11:24 PM
Saturday is the 16th, but that particular location is well suited to a bunch of us getting together for pictures, as long as it's not in use by any other large groups. :smallcool:

Does anyone have a running total of how many playgrounders will be attending this year? How many of you plan on dropping by for the mini-meetup?

*adds Zeb and Alarra to the list*

Ranis
2008-05-20, 11:54 PM
I think AngelSword is keeping a running list on the first post, but I haven't counted it myself.

AngelSword
2008-05-21, 02:31 AM
There's no total, but all attendees are tracked in the first post. I've also kept (or at least, tried to keep) a list of important links there, as well.

If people are running things, send me a description, and I'll add it to the first post.

And I think Zeb's plan would be best. None of this, "planning in advanced" nonsense.

Alarra
2008-05-21, 05:14 PM
Meh, I'm not signed up for anything either. I figure I'll do what I did last year and wander aimlessly from point to point.

Also, I'd like to register for the Town session with Trog. I haven't played even 3.5 D&D for some time and I'd like to see what the ruleset looks like as much as I can.

I wanna play. :smallbiggrin:

I signed up for a ton of things my first gencon, decided after that year that was silly and wandering about hanging with gitpers is more fun.

Kyrian
2008-05-21, 07:29 PM
Sign me up for hopefully being there one of the days.

Don't expect me to game, unless someone wants to help me come up with a character. I seem to epic fail at that.

But I'm willing to meet Gitp-ers and wander around with them.

Braewe
2008-05-26, 10:27 PM
I've been lurking for ages, finally got around to making an account.
Two? Three? Three, I think, years ago I got my first book signed by Rich, and two years ago got my second, AND a cute little doodle. Last year though, he didn't go.

I did see from the exhibitor list posted, that APE will be sharing a booth with Giant in the Playground. Does this mean only the books will be there, or is Rich going to be present? I need my other books signed, I does!

And yes, HaloedOne and I will be there.

AngelSword
2008-05-31, 10:38 PM
Alright, our flight's booked. :smallbiggrin:

And I say again that we have a foldout couch for anyone who's willing to split the room cost.

Kyrian
2008-07-06, 09:03 AM
>.>
<.<

Pleasepleasepleaseplease don't let me get in trouble for bringing this thread back. It DOES say the official planning thread, and I have been trying to find it to make use of it.

I haven't bought tickets yet, but today I am going to try and request the four days off. >.>'

I'm already taking three off at the beginning of August, so I don't know if I'll be able to, but dangit! I wants to meet some of you people and I'd rather it be at GenCon than me trying to get a hold of several people's phone numbers and then begging (with puppy dog eyes) that they come a bit further to the...*thinks*...south to see me either at the apartment (which I have to say now I unfortunately can't let people in...it's really small and...:smallredface::smallfrown:...messy.) or at my work, where I'll be equally embarrassed because I'll be the one pushing carts. Or at least pretending to. :smallwink::smallbiggrin::smalltongue:

Dallas-Dakota
2008-07-06, 09:23 AM
I'l be there next year! That's for sure!

Lykan
2008-07-06, 12:29 PM
I'll be coming with my dad. Got tickets and hotel room and all that stuff.

BizzaroStormy
2008-07-06, 12:46 PM
I'll be there all 4 days. I'll have to deal with a couple days of detention at school for not coming but its worth it. I had to borrow almost $70 from my DM who surprisingly said yes for the early pass. I'll hopefully be dressed as Banjo the Clown for a couple days but the main problem is finding a cheap banjo.

AngelSword
2008-07-07, 02:57 AM
Attendees updated (and counted).
Added the Meetup information.
Ate some bacon.

Silence
2008-07-08, 08:05 PM
I may go....

If I do, it'll be for the full four days. 75$ is a whole lot more cheap then I expected. I look forward to meeting OotSers.

Lord Tataraus
2008-07-08, 09:31 PM
I'll be there all 4 days. I'll have to deal with a couple days of detention at school for not coming but its worth it. I had to borrow almost $70 from my DM who surprisingly said yes for the early pass. I'll hopefully be dressed as Banjo the Clown for a couple days but the main problem is finding a cheap banjo.

Why didn't you tell me about this thread??

Anyway since I'm driving PirateJesus I'm attending myself as will Nobodylovesyou44, Homestar3.14, and Fusecase (or whatever his new account is).

Silence
2008-07-08, 09:33 PM
I might do some sort of witty cosplay....

Or I'll just go in my normal outfit.

BTW, I've never gone before. How much money should I bring for the specific tickets?

Renegade Paladin
2008-07-08, 09:43 PM
Depends. What do you want to do?

I usually blow through a couple hundred dollars, but that's mostly from buying stuff on the dealers' floor. Then again, I don't do that many events that require additional money; there's plenty of free stuff to do.

Edit: Curse you, Ranis! You scheduled the meetup at the exact same time as the meetup for Monte Cook's board. :smallyuk:

tyckspoon
2008-07-08, 09:56 PM
BTW, I've never gone before. How much money should I bring for the specific tickets?

Generic event tickets are $2.00 apiece and generally good for two hours participation in a game or other ticketed event (certain events have a higher cover charge, and may cost more tickets to participate in. Said events are also probably already sold out, so it's unlikely you'll actually have to worry about that..) So figure out what portion of your day/days you want to spend doing ticketed things, and that should help you decide your ticket budget. And then throw another ten bucks or so on top of that just to be certain you're covered.

Silence
2008-07-08, 09:59 PM
So, we're talking at 1 dollar/hour? Maybe 12 hours a day.....

So, 50$ or so?

BizzaroStormy
2008-07-08, 10:10 PM
I might do some sort of witty cosplay....

Or I'll just go in my normal outfit.

Yeah I wanted to go as Banjo the clown but I can't for the life of me find a banjo.

Silence
2008-07-08, 10:16 PM
Yeah I wanted to go as Banjo the clown but I can't for the life of me find a banjo.

Fake one out of wood. It doesn't even have to be 3D. Use string for the strings. If I knew you better I would let you use my dad's banjo....

I look forward to seeing you there.

Renegade Paladin
2008-07-08, 10:20 PM
Okay, GenCon goers, two questions:

1.) Would anyone be averse to changing the scheduled meetup to Friday or earlier in the day on Saturday? I have another meetup at the same time, and that one involves dinner reservations that are already made, so it'd be very hard to change that one.

2.) Who wants to help me pull a (quite harmless) prank? :smallamused:

Silence
2008-07-08, 10:22 PM

What's the prank?

Lord Tataraus
2008-07-08, 10:41 PM
Okay, GenCon goers, two questions:

1.) Would anyone be averse to changing the scheduled meetup to Friday or earlier in the day on Saturday? I have another meetup at the same time, and that one involves dinner reservations that are already made, so it'd be very hard to change that one.

1) I wouldn't mind a change to Friday, but earlier might be a problem.

2) Depends on the prank...

Renegade Paladin
2008-07-08, 10:47 PM
The prank is simple: Go to the Slugfest Games booth and ask Cliff this question: "What do you know of Arnold Nido?"

A friend of mine used to play a character by that name in a 1920s noir LARP with the guy, and wants as many people as possible to ask him that. :smallamused:

Silence
2008-07-08, 10:50 PM
Why not? Sure, I'll do it.

BizzaroStormy
2008-07-09, 10:05 PM
Fake one out of wood. It doesn't even have to be 3D. Use string for the strings. If I knew you better I would let you use my dad's banjo....

I look forward to seeing you there.

Despite the fact that I lack tools, I'm the kind of person who at least need the costume to look real.

Reinboom
2008-07-21, 03:21 AM
If anyone who is living in Indy has an extra space they would be willing to spare the day before and the night after GenCon for me - I would greatly appreciate it.
I like having 'buffer' days around things that are far travel..

Kyrian
2008-07-21, 06:59 AM
Awww...I really wish I could provide housing...

*looks around apartment*

but this place is a mess :smallfrown::smallfrown::smallfrown:

On a plus side though...

I GOT ALL FOUR DAYS OFF!!!

Which actually means....anyone willing to come pick me up from the apartment if necessary and drive me up to the convention center? I is about 15 minutes from downtown Indy. :smallbiggrin: I luvs ya all!

Reinboom
2008-07-21, 07:41 AM
Well, you don't need to give me a place to stay so to speak. Just a place were I wouldn't be shooed away for meowing on a back fence and digging through the trash as a stray cat.

A place to sleep would be preferred, however.

Also, can't wait to see you anyways.

Now, I only need the last day to cover anyways. I have a plan of stay and a backup plan of stay for the first day.

SMEE
2008-07-21, 08:08 AM
Ladies and gentlemen...

My presence at GenCon is confirmed. My interview to get the visa at the US embassy was scheduled for the very begining of August.

So, expect to have a crazy foreigner girl around! :smalltongue:

Dallas-Dakota
2008-07-21, 09:46 AM
Awww...I really wish I could provide housing...

*looks around apartment*

but this place is a mess :smallfrown::smallfrown::smallfrown:

On a plus side though...

I GOT ALL FOUR DAYS OFF!!!

Which actually means....anyone willing to come pick me up from the apartment if necessary and drive me up to the convention center? I is about 15 minutes from downtown Indy. :smallbiggrin: I luvs ya all!
*notes for next year*

Lex-Kat
2008-07-21, 10:11 AM
I'm going to try to go. I just need to make sure my finances are in order first.
I'd love to meet all of you, especially SMEE and Vael.

Trog
2008-07-21, 04:56 PM
I regret to inform you that I will not be coming to GenCon this year due to some financial constraints in the month of August. :smallannoyed:

Reinboom
2008-07-21, 05:00 PM
I regret to inform you that I will not be coming to GenCon this year due to some financial constraints in the month of August. :smallannoyed:

I won't get to see my (obviously biological in every possible way, somehow, surely) mama this GenCon?!

Hmm, just a thought, what if a collective of people just started throwing jefferson's at you? Then would you be able to come?

wxdruid
2008-07-21, 05:05 PM
I'll miss you Trog...:smallfrown:

SMEE
2008-07-21, 05:11 PM
Awww... :smalleek:

Trog won't be there... v.v I won't get to meet you in person... v.v

Trog
2008-07-21, 07:43 PM
I won't get to see my (obviously biological in every possible way, somehow, surely) mama this GenCon?!

Hmm, just a thought, what if a collective of people just started throwing jefferson's at you? Then would you be able to come?

I tend to discourage this. In fact at the Southeast Meetup one poster offered the same thing when I mentioned being tight on funds. I turned it down, of course. Let it the not be said that playgrounders are not generous. But the cost of that trip and other circumstances have put me in a hard spot this month.

But, for the record, I have a place to stay there and I have the days off from work. Paid, even. I lack funds otherwise. It's just that the trade off for going would be not providing for my family. And I hope you understand that my boys come first.

I'm gonna do something I normally wouldn't since I'm really opposed to accepting charity due to being (perhaps at times a bit too) prideful... but if the funds can be raised I will go. Though I feel like a guilty beggar even typing this. :smallfrown:

Thes Hunter
2008-07-21, 10:00 PM
If Trog goes, and I do hope he does, we will be riding down together.

If anyone in the Chicago/Madison/Twin Cities Area are going and would like to ride share, that will certainly help in dealing with the 4 dollar a gallon price gouge.

Reinboom
2008-07-21, 10:40 PM
I tend to discourage this. In fact at the Southeast Meetup one poster offered the same thing when I mentioned being tight on funds. I turned it down, of course. Let it the not be said that playgrounders are not generous. But the cost of that trip and other circumstances have put me in a hard spot this month.

But, for the record, I have a place to stay there and I have the days off from work. Paid, even. I lack funds otherwise. It's just that the trade off for going would be not providing for my family. And I hope you understand that my boys come first.

I'm gonna do something I normally wouldn't since I'm really opposed to accepting charity due to being (perhaps at times a bit too) prideful... but if the funds can be raised I will go. Though I feel like a guilty beggar even typing this. :smallfrown:

1. If it is hindering to your children, then I pull back from the offer.
2. If the offer is a boon to your children without you going, then I offer it still.
3. If the offer is neither a boon nor a hindrance to your children with you going, then I offer it still.

Andre Fairchilde
2008-07-21, 10:40 PM

Although this will not alleviate your financial constraints, you are welcome to come to my birthday party at around the same time.

Thes Hunter
2008-07-21, 10:45 PM
Although this will not alleviate your financial constraints, you are welcome to come to my birthday party at around the same time.

You are welcome to have your B-day party in Indy. :smallbiggrin:

BTW, I spoke things over with Trog, but basically since I am coming anyways, I saw no reason for him not to also come along, since if he isn't coming I would have to pay the full amount of gas anyways.

But still anyone on the route from Spooky Wisconsin to Indy who needs/wants to carpool let us know. My car can take two more.... IF you don't have a ton of stuff.

I can always buy the case of red bull in Indy. :smallbiggrin:

PhoeKun
2008-07-21, 10:53 PM
Well, now I'm extremely confused. But if it comes down to it that Trog still needs assistance, I think I have a few dollars lying around that could go towards helping.

Anything to help... come to think of it, how do these internet family things work? Is Trog my mother in law? :smalleek:

Trog
2008-07-21, 10:53 PM
You are welcome to have your B-day party in Indy. :smallbiggrin:
Heh!

BTW, I spoke things over with Trog, but basically since I am coming anyways, I saw no reason for him not to also come along, since if he isn't coming I would have to pay the full amount of gas anyways.
I'm paying you back in September. And YAAAAAAAAAAY! GenCon! :smallbiggrin: *dances like Snoopy, dips Thes, dances some more*

PhoeKun
2008-07-21, 10:56 PM
And... oh, by the way. I'll be at GenCon. I don't think I've actually mentioned that. Whoops. :smallredface:

Renegade Paladin
2008-07-22, 03:30 PM
Would anyone be averse to changing the scheduled meetup to Friday or earlier in the day on Saturday? I have another meetup at the same time, and that one involves dinner reservations that are already made, so it'd be very hard to change that one.
Okay, I hate to pry, but if it isn't changed I can't come. :smallfrown: Which will it be?

EvilJames
2008-07-22, 04:50 PM
I will be attending Gen Con. When and where is the meeting this year? I missed the meeting last year due to misreading where it was supposed to be.

The Valiant Turtle
2008-07-22, 08:34 PM
I'm not coming to GenCon, but I live close enough that I could come up for the meet-up portion of things if it's not somewhere within the Con itself (which it doesn't sound like it is).

Kyrian
2008-07-22, 08:44 PM
Yay! I can meet Raldor and thank him in person for the offer to drive me to the meetup!

tyckspoon
2008-07-22, 09:07 PM
I'm only planning to attend the con on the day of the meetup, Kyrian, but I could probably be convinced to give you a lift for the other three days too if nobody more convenient (like somebody currently planning to go every day) speaks up.

Alternately, have you considered using the buses? They're pretty good if you just want to go Downtown and come back, and to the best of my memory the nexus where all the routes terminate is in easy walking distance of the convention center.

EvilJames
2008-07-23, 03:55 AM
Okay, I hate to pry, but if it isn't changed I can't come. :smallfrown: Which will it be?

I am certainly not opposed to either of your suggestions as Saturday at 8 I usually go too the Knights of the Dinner Table live reading and then the Gen Con Dance ( I may even have a costume this year) But We'd need a consensus on this.

Ranis
2008-07-23, 08:31 AM
Question to everyone that is coming-does anyone play Halo Actionclix? I've been brushing up my moves and such, but it turns out that there are no events at GenCon for it. If someone does, please bring them and we'll play!

Kyrian-I gave someone else a ride all four days last year and he paid for my ticket. Pending some kind of compensation and depending where you are, I can do the same again; but I got my ticket for free this year, so that option's out. :)

AmberVael
2008-07-23, 05:45 PM
I'm going to try to go. I just need to make sure my finances are in order first.
I'd love to meet all of you, especially SMEE and Vael.

I'm really not all that interesting in person... >.>
Anywho, I'm working on getting an airplane ticket.

The Valiant Turtle
2008-07-23, 08:56 PM
It appears that I will be unable to attend due to my father-in-laws retirement party. I hate to miss meeting more playgrounders, but it appears most people only retire once, and he's a great father-in-law so I should probably go to the party. <sigh>

Lex-Kat
2008-07-24, 12:49 AM
I'm really not all that interesting in person... >.>
Anywho, I'm working on getting an airplane ticket.

Well, I guess I'll find out in person, won't I:smallwink:

Count me among the confirmed. I just got my hotel reservations.

I'll be staying at the "Comfort Inn and Suites North at the Pyramids" from Friday until Monday morning. Hopefully I can find my way to the con, without too much trouble (I'm horrible with directions).

And Trog, I'm glad to see you'll be able to make it, thanks to Thes.

tyckspoon
2008-07-24, 01:01 AM
I'll be staying at the "Comfort Inn and Suites North at the Pyramids" from Friday until Monday morning. Hopefully I can find my way to the con, without too much trouble (I'm horrible with directions).

Not certain how serious you were, but chances are the most trouble you'll have is figuring out how to get to a parking place once you've gotten downtown. Your hotel is right off Michigan Road, which is one of the major arteries for that part of the city- you can just follow it toward the center of the city and it'll take you downtown. At least until it hits the point where the roads start getting weird, at which point.. well, I live here and I hate navigating downtown. :smallbiggrin: 'tho you can just keep following the road that Michigan turns into, too.. that goes by the back side of the convention center complex. Dunno if there's any accessible parking over there.

Lex-Kat
2008-07-24, 01:19 AM
Not certain how serious you were...

Well, have you ever watched Ranma 1/2? If so, think Ryoga, but not quite that bad. I usually accidentally find where I'm going, and get lucky in finding good parking spots.

Thes Hunter
2008-07-24, 07:51 PM
Lex-Kat, if are anything close to Ryoga then be aware that if you see any signs that say "Now entering Kentucky" you went too far south. :smallwink:

And Raldor I'll miss you! I have been wanting to meet you for ages! Have fun at your retirement party!

Lex-Kat
2008-07-25, 12:30 AM
Lex-Kat, if are anything close to Ryoga then be aware that if you see any signs that say "Now entering Kentucky" you went too far south. :smallwink:

Thanks for the advice. I'll keep it in mind.

SMEE
2008-07-25, 04:42 PM
Okay...

passport - check
plane tickets - check
hotel reservation - check
visa - will be issued on the 31st
random gifts - check
special gifts - check

I'm almost ready to GenCon.
Looking forward to meet you all. :smallbiggrin:

Thes Hunter
2008-07-25, 09:04 PM
Yay! I am looking forward to meeting you as well!! *internet hugs that will be real hugs soon!*

Lex-Kat
2008-07-26, 06:39 AM
We will be meeting once again at the second floor of the Serpentine Lobby at 8PM on Saturday of GenCon which, if my memory serves me right, will be August 16th. After the meetup with pictures and such, we'll go grab some dinner somewhere and such in addition to just having fun and doing whatever.

I have a question. Where is the Serpentine Lobby?:smallconfused:

Dallas-Dakota
2008-07-26, 08:23 AM
For my identity next year, I´l try to get my hands on a black shirt depicturing the cookie monster...

wxdruid
2008-07-26, 10:41 AM
One or two people have asked if the meet up can be moved to an earlier time or on Friday. I would prefer not to miss some people because they have prior commitments.

potatocubed
2008-07-26, 12:19 PM
In case it becomes important, I have a prior commitment for 9 pm on the Friday. I like the idea of Saturday night because we can make a proper night of it, but I'm not committed to that plan.

WalkingTarget
2008-07-26, 01:59 PM
Anybody know if there's a Cthulhu for President rally this year and, if so, where/when it is?

I'd like to try to put in an appearance at whatever get-together we've got going here, but one has to have priorities. :smalltongue:

Seriously though. At this point I don't have any solid plans for either evening, but I need to be able to tell people I'm busy if we're trying to make plans otherwise (another thing to keep in mind is that Cardhalla is usually destroyed Saturday night at like 10 or 10:30 if people want to attend that).

Renegade Paladin
2008-07-26, 03:49 PM
I have a question. Where is the Serpentine Lobby?:smallconfused:
It's the lobby at the door by the admissions booths. There will be maps of the convention center available at the con; it should be easy to find.

And it's beginning to look more and more like Friday is the better choice for more than just me (Cardhalla destruction = awesome, and I always attend with a pouch of dollar coins :smallbiggrin:), so maybe we should discuss changing it?

Alarra
2008-07-26, 04:44 PM
Conceivably...there could be a couple meetups? I like the idea of meeting earlier in the con, that way people can make plans to hang out over the rest of the weekend. I, however, being there far more for the company than the games, am free to meetup with anyone at any time. It would be nice if it were more of an 'event' this year, as compared to the 'photo-op' of last year.

The Valiant Turtle
2008-07-26, 04:51 PM
I believe I could make it up Friday evening if anything is happening then.

Ceika
2008-07-26, 06:05 PM
*peeks into thread*

Ok, I wanted to get in on this discussion, seeing as this year it's looking like we may be able to make it... it'll be a time-crunch, and there are a few things that still may go wrong, but we're working on it.

Right now, we're waiting on leave to be approved, finding a place to keep the puppy until we return, confirming a place to stay (Indy said that we could probably room with him if if was ok with Zeb and Alarra), getting the ransom paid for our air mattress pump, and preparing ourselves for the 14 hour drive from here to there.

Hopefully, those storm clouds will clear and it'll be smooth sailing, but I'll post more as things clear up.

Trog
2008-07-26, 09:30 PM
I'm all for event versus photo op. Especially for coordination purposes and such. I'm also for multiple meetups. I had kinda planned to do a DnD 4e adventure and coordinating when to run it at one of these meetings probably would be the easiest route to go.

Also I'm looking for peeps to hang out with as well. I don't really have a terrible lot signed up for for the 4 days. Mainly I'm gonna walk da earth.

Alarra
2008-07-26, 10:36 PM
Oh, Ceika dearie...it's fine if you guys stay with us. If that's cool with you, Trog?

Kyrian
2008-07-26, 10:45 PM
I is going and hope to be able to meets you alls.

Lex-Kat
2008-07-26, 11:12 PM
It's the lobby at the door by the admissions booths. There will be maps of the convention center available at the con; it should be easy to find.

And it's beginning to look more and more like Friday is the better choice for more than just me (Cardhalla destruction = awesome, and I always attend with a pouch of dollar coins :smallbiggrin:), so maybe we should discuss changing it?

Thanks. I don't mind meeting up on Friday. There is only two reasons I'm going this year at all:

To get the new OotS book, and maybe meet Rich.
Meeting all of you.

I'd love to make an event of this. Otherwise, I'm going to be lonely for the rest of the time.:smallfrown:

AngelSword
2008-07-26, 11:37 PM
Proposed changes to the meetup time:

Held on Thursday night, time unchanged.
Held on Friday night, time unchanged.
Held on Friday night (time unchanged); held again on Saturday night (time unchanged).
Held on Saturday night, one hour earlier.

Discuss.

Renegade Paladin
2008-07-26, 11:44 PM
Well, the only thing I'm locked into doing besides Monte Cook's board meetup is entering the boffer sword tournament to uphold the honor of the Midrealm. (Translation: SCA swordsman vs. a bunch of random gaming nerds. It'll be fun - for me. :smallwink:) Other than that, I'm there to hang out, enjoy myself, and do things as they arise. If anyone wants to arrange a meeting time at the beginning of the con on Thursday or something so we can make plans for the rest of the weekend, I'd be all over it.

potatocubed
2008-07-27, 05:06 AM
I vote Thursday night. At the very least that would give us a chance to make plans for the rest of the con, either as a single large group or in smaller bunches.

Ceika
2008-07-27, 09:11 AM
Well, the only thing I'm locked into doing besides Monte Cook's board meetup is entering the boffer sword tournament to uphold the honor of the Midrealm. (Translation: SCA swordsman vs. a bunch of random gaming nerds. It'll be fun - for me. :smallwink:)
Boffer tournament? Is this open to anyone? I would love to fight for the crown of Atlantia at this kind of thing!

@Alarra: Yay! We'll count on that, then. If something comes up, we'll let you know, or vicey versey, so we an make other plans.

As for an actual meetup, I'm game for whatever. If plans hold true, we'll be there with bells on... or not, because that might be a bit ridiculous. :smallbiggrin:

Renegade Paladin
2008-07-27, 10:52 AM
Boffer tournament? Is this open to anyone? I would love to fight for the crown of Atlantia at this kind of thing!
Was last year. There's both an organized tournament and a space in the exhibit hall for pickup matches, if they're running things like last year. I must warn you, milady, I am grossly out of practice; I'm not sure how much of a challenge I'd present to an active fighter. (Actually, I'm going to a fighter practice today, but it'll be my first one in about three years.)

Ceika
2008-07-27, 12:12 PM
Mi'lord, I wouldst fight not for the challenge of fighting, but for the honor of facing such a valiant opponent!

Honestly, I haven't fought in a while either, both because I need to finish my armor still, and because we've jumped around a lot, so haven't really stayed with any one group long enough to get much fighting in. Most I've done in the last year or so is footwork and a little pell work.

Still, it would be a lot of fun! We'll have to see if we can get over there for that!

Trog
2008-07-27, 04:18 PM
Oh, Ceika dearie...it's fine if you guys stay with us. If that's cool with you, Trog?

Fine and dandy. :smallbiggrin:

Also, perhaps we can designate a few days/times and everyone who can show up will? This way there is a time and place each day for people to coordinate if it fits into their schedule. Or something.

Lex-Kat
2008-07-27, 10:45 PM
Change of plans.

I'll be there all four days now!:smallsmile:

Ranis
2008-07-27, 11:47 PM
Okay, here's an idea. We make a preliminary "event" at noon at the second floor of the Serpentine Lobby, where the meetup was last year. We can plan on things that people would like to do together and such then, and then we can plan on meeting back up on Friday at 8 and Saturday at 8 at the same place to do whatever the small army we'll have decides.

Plan? No? Yes?

Lord Tataraus
2008-07-28, 12:10 AM
Ok...I'm a bit confuzzled...currently the plan is for a night meetup?? I'm ok really anytime, though I am driving down and back each day from Kokomo so I can't stay too late, though I'm bringing a bunch of people most of the days. I would personally perfer an event instead of just a photo-op 'cause I'd actually like to meet people in their natural environment (whilst gaming). My group will have almost the entirety of the Munchkin card game series by the end of Thursday, so if people are up for that as a possible happening it should be fun considering that's...*counts*...8 separate games or one huge backstabbing brawl, though I think they're releasing the 9th Munchkin on Saturday - Munchkin Booty!! Yeah, we're huge Munchkin fans and we've got a ton of variants if you're interested.

So, is there interest? Any other event suggestions?

Edit: Just looked at the front page and saw the "current" time as 8pm Saturday, is this correct? Personally, I'd prefer Friday....or both, just to get it in earlier on so we could possibly have small meet ups through out the weekend, that is assuming you guys actually are interesting people :smalltongue:

AngelSword
2008-07-28, 12:38 AM
I'm ok really anytime, though I am driving down and back each day from Kokomo so I can't stay too late, though I'm bringing a bunch of people most of the days.

It's ok. You'll get there fast, and we'll take it slow.

Please excuse me. I'm full of alcomohol at the moment.:smallredface:

BizzaroStormy
2008-07-28, 01:54 AM
He'll have me and Nobodylovesyou44 along for the ride so theres bound to be plenty of fires to keep the trips interesting.

Fridesgerte
2008-07-28, 12:58 PM
Hi Everyone,

I may be crazy, but since I didn't get to go to Pennsic, I think I'm going to come to GenCon. I haven't pre-registered, so I'm not signed up for anything. I do have a hotel room reserved, and I just need to get a plane ticket :smallbiggrin:.

I'd like to meet some of you, and I'll probably be getting there early afternoon on Thursday.

I'll also bring my garb, and uphold the honor of the East Kingdom, at least by watching, if there are any SCA activities scheduled.

Will I be able to get into any 3.5 or 4e games (as a relative noob) without having pre-registered? I'm new to cons; I've been to several DarkoverCons over the years, but not any other gaming cons.

Renegade Paladin
2008-07-28, 04:21 PM
Okay, here's an idea. We make a preliminary "event" at noon at the second floor of the Serpentine Lobby, where the meetup was last year. We can plan on things that people would like to do together and such then, and then we can plan on meeting back up on Friday at 8 and Saturday at 8 at the same place to do whatever the small army we'll have decides.

Plan? No? Yes?
Sounds like a plan indeed.

potatocubed
2008-07-28, 04:44 PM
Will I be able to get into any 3.5 or 4e games (as a relative noob) without having pre-registered? I'm new to cons; I've been to several DarkoverCons over the years, but not any other gaming cons.

From what I read, you should be able to find games whether you've pre-regged or not. In fact, I'm pretty sure Trog was angling to run some 4e.

Ranis: Your idea is good. It may bear the potato seal of approval. *stamps*

Trog
2008-07-28, 05:01 PM
From what I read, you should be able to find games whether you've pre-regged or not. In fact, I'm pretty sure Trog was angling to run some 4e.

Indeed I am. I am planning on running some people through a short 8th level 4e thingy heavily themed on the Town.

Also, I have a couple of different 4e stand-alone adventures from Dungeon (provided you haven't already downloaded, read, and memorized them yourself =P ) that I would be willing to run people through as well. Also I have the H1 adventure. 4 days is a lot of gaming time and I plan to take advantage of it. The more the merrier. :smallbiggrin:

Indurain
2008-07-28, 05:03 PM

I didn't pre-reg last year, but was able to get in on a couple games. I didn't try very hard either...for me the fun was on the convention floor (trying out new games) and in the hotel room (curses!).

Indeed I am. I am planning on running some people through a short 8th level 4e thingy heavily themed on the Town.

Also, I have a couple of different 4e stand-alone adventures from Dungeon (provided you haven't already downloaded, read, and memorized them yourself =P ) that I would be willing to run people through as well. 4 days is a lot of gaming time and I plan to take advantage of it. The more the merrier. :smallbiggrin:

Should I start statting up a lvl 8 Indurain?

wxdruid
2008-07-28, 05:03 PM
Yes, I definitely want into the Town themed game...oh yes, I do.

I even bought the 4e books, do you know what level we're starting at? So I can figure out the system?

Dallas-Dakota
2008-07-28, 05:06 PM
Should I start statting up a lvl 8 Indurain?
Since you won´t be wearing any armor. (Unless you somehow wear a chain mail cape or something), do you get natural armor?

Renegade Paladin
2008-07-28, 05:31 PM
I would just like to point out that last year we got two complete teams (12 people) into the D&D Open by just showing up at the door. :smallamused:

Lex-Kat
2008-07-28, 07:36 PM

Also, I have a couple of different 4e stand-alone adventures from Dungeon (provided you haven't already downloaded, read, and memorized them yourself =P ) that I would be willing to run people through as well. Also I have the H1 adventure. 4 days is a lot of gaming time and I plan to take advantage of it. The more the merrier. :smallbiggrin:

I'd like to play, but I don't have any of the books, and know very little about 4e.

Trog
2008-07-28, 07:51 PM
If this goes anything like the SE Meetup chances are I'll have to run two groups through it. Probably a maximum of 6 players or so per group. Gets a bit unwieldy after that. But we shall see.

Level 8 is what we're starting with. I have a few PCs made up already. I used the standard array to stat them. Those wishing to make their own characters are welcome to do so. :smallsmile:

I definitely would like to get in on the open. From what I've read it is in 4th edition with pre-generated 3rd level characters. Best bone up! :smallbiggrin:

Ranis
2008-07-28, 10:23 PM
Oooh! Ooooh! Dibs on Trog's game. I call Warlock.

Ceika
2008-07-29, 10:57 AM
Um... due to some... constraints, we may not be able to make the trip after all. We're still trying to work things out... but we're not sure yet.

Repairs on the main transportation vehicle are proving a bit more troublesome than expected. :smallfrown:

Kyrian
2008-07-29, 11:42 AM
:( :( :( :(
:smallfrown::smallfrown::smallfrown:

But..but...I wants meet big sis :(

*huggles*

I hope you'll both be able to make it.

BizzaroStormy
2008-07-29, 02:24 PM
Wow, so many people coming. Too bad my ride only has room for one tranquilzed playgrounder. :biggrin:

Thes Hunter
2008-07-29, 09:34 PM
Ceika that sucks because I was really looking forward to meeting you!

I hope things work out for you!

nobodylovesyou4
2008-07-29, 11:20 PM
wha-? huh-? when did i say i was going? how did my name get on that list?!

Wow, so many people coming. Too bad my ride only has room for one tranquilzed playgrounder.
no, we don't have any room. we have seven people in that vehicle - the max is seven.

BizzaroStormy
2008-07-29, 11:29 PM
They'd be asleep, we could just tie them to the roof...with a pillow of course.

Krade
2008-07-30, 12:36 PM
Due to the obvious reason of living in the city, I will, of course, be attending. However, due to a few few money problems that are in no way not my own fault, I will be rationing my cash. (So no winning the Cardhalla auction again, only cost me $160)

I think what I'm gonna try to do is just get downtown and live the life of a hobo for a few days (unless Ranis wants to drive me for free, sorry, I can't afford to bribe you again).

Ranis
2008-07-30, 10:32 PM
Noo! Bribery was WIN. I got my own free ticket, so :P to your offerings of your free ticketstuffs. Call me and I'll go over the stipulations of what's going on with the ride situation.

Kyrian, let me know if you're actually going to have that car as soon as you do.

SMEE
2008-07-31, 07:55 AM
Sorry everyone...

You all have to endure me from the 13th to the 17th. :smallbiggrin:

The only thing that could go wrong was just sorted out.
Counting the hours to meet you all. :smallsmile:

Renegade Paladin
2008-07-31, 01:48 PM
Well, my friends have apparently all dropped out of going, so I'm going to need people to hang out with. Conventions are boring by yourself. :smalltongue:

AngelSword
2008-07-31, 02:17 PM
Well, sadly, I'll be missing the first meeting on Thursday, since my flight gets in really late that day (I'm working to remedy that). But we'll be there that evening, and every day thereafter.

wxdruid
2008-07-31, 03:24 PM
I haven't planned anything other than hanging out in the dealer's room, playing 4e with Trog and hanging out with whoever else wants to. :smallsmile:

tyckspoon
2008-07-31, 04:13 PM
mm. Well, I have decided to just eat the extra $30 and attend all four days (I really have to start volunteering for these things- time for badge? I have time, I do not have that much free money. Good trade.) Which makes me officially available to help provide transportation for people living or staying in Indianapolis who do not currently have any arranged.

Also I am completely open to being bribed. :smallsmile:

Krade
2008-08-01, 12:43 PM
If we decide to go somewhere to eat, I propose we go to Yats (www.yatscajuncreole.com). It's on the other side of downtown but downtown isn't that big so it shouldn't be too big of a problem. Just so you know, I love Yats so much I keep thier business card in my wallet. I know there is at least one other Indyite that knows of their deliciousness, but I can't remember exactly who. He mentioned it when I was thinking about getting some of their takeout and taking it to JC for the meetup.

Edit: After some investigation, it was, in fact, tyckspoon.

AngelSword
2008-08-01, 02:45 PM
I've recently been informed that Looney Labs will be running an experiment. I'll get more information as soon as I can.

::runs off to ensure his lab coat is still intact::

Ranis
2008-08-02, 08:53 PM
What is Loony Labs?

Lord Tataraus
2008-08-02, 09:24 PM
What is Loony Labs?

Loony Labs (http://www.looneylabs.com/) has some really great games like Flux and Icehouse and probably others but that's all I've played. They have some really innovative and loony games :smalltongue:

I can't wait to see that experiment...

Indurain
2008-08-03, 12:09 AM
Loony Labs (http://www.looneylabs.com/) has some really great games like Flux and Icehouse and probably others but that's all I've played. They have some really innovative and loony games :smalltongue:

and cute scientists!

Trog
2008-08-03, 12:44 AM
and cute scientists!

Ooooo! Cute scientists! :smallbiggrin:

AngelSword
2008-08-03, 02:07 AM
Ooooo! Cute scientists! :smallbiggrin:

Aww, shucks, Trog (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/AngelSword/IMG_0567.jpg):smallredface:

Indurain
2008-08-03, 02:42 AM
Aww, shucks, Trog (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/AngelSword/IMG_0567.jpg):smallredface:

You know I've already seen up that kilt one too many times. Think you can keep it under control this year Sword?

BizzaroStormy
2008-08-03, 02:51 AM
I wish I had a kilt... Also, where was that picture taken? I don't remember seeing any wall painted such an ugly yellow.

AngelSword
2008-08-03, 01:56 PM
I wish I had a kilt... Also, where was that picture taken? I don't remember seeing any wall painted such an ugly yellow.

It was taken at Origins, earlier this year. It was the first time I took part of, "Looney Labs' Big Experiment." That's why I'm in a labcoat. The picture was taken because the guy in the picture with me was the only other kilted Rabbit.

And Indy, you don't have to worry. 1) This kilt is better-suited for stunts like jumping, 2) I'm less inclined to jump this year, and 3) there's someone joining me who'd get upset if I was jumping in front of just anyone. You're safe:smalltongue:

potatocubed
2008-08-03, 02:48 PM
Admit it: kilts are just a convenient excuse for wandering around without pants on and making sure everybody knows it. :smalltongue:

Thes Hunter
2008-08-03, 03:14 PM
I thought they were to make all the girlies wonder if he is wearing it in true scottish fashion or not. :smallwink:

SMEE
2008-08-03, 03:20 PM
I thought they were to make all the girlies wonder if he is wearing it in true scottish fashion or not. :smallwink:

Oh, I wonder that too... I guess I'll have to hope that he jumps to check it... >.>

BizzaroStormy
2008-08-03, 03:54 PM
Last year I was in a little "swordfighting" tourney run by some guy in a barbarian costume. If I could get a kilt, i'd do it again this year with half my face painted blue :biggrin:

Thes Hunter
2008-08-03, 04:26 PM
heh... he said sword fighting....

in kilts.....

Lex-Kat
2008-08-03, 07:19 PM
Not a good image.:smallyuk:

Lord Tataraus
2008-08-03, 10:02 PM
Last year I was in a little "swordfighting" tourney run by some guy in a barbarian costume. If I could get a kilt, i'd do it again this year with half my face painted blue :biggrin:
:eek:
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Valiant Turtle
2008-08-04, 06:23 PM
Quick question. Do I need to purchase a Con badge to get to the meetup? I wasn't planning on actually attending any convention activities. I probably could if I need to though.

Alarra
2008-08-04, 07:16 PM
No, the place that we're planning to have the meetup isn't within the dealer room and the like.....I don't think. I can't remember actually. It isn't, is it?

Renegade Paladin
2008-08-04, 07:21 PM
No, it's not. It's the front lobby, second floor, just outside the Sagamore Ballroom. You come in the door, and Admissions should be on your right. There'll be a set of stairs in front of you; go up it and you're there.

Ceika
2008-08-04, 07:58 PM
Ok, here's the semi-official word for Tantolian and myself.

The last thing we were waiting on for planning purposes was Tantolian's leave paperwork, and we received notification today that his leave has been approved! We should be arriving in Indianapolis later in the day on Wednesday, depending on when we get out the door that morning. Thanks to everyone who helped us plan this out! Can't wait to meet y'all!

AngelSword
2008-08-04, 11:17 PM
Here's the details for the Looney Labs hullabaloo.

Hello all,

Since we're about a week away from GenCon, I wanted to give the final update.

First of all, we do not a formal lab like we do at Origins, we will be sharing a room with others. We will be in the board game room for more of the con. The AYAW? will be in Hyatt Regency Ballroom. Finally, we will having the Wednesday meetup in the Hyatt Vision room from 5 to 6:30. Hope to see you there.

Shane

Trog
2008-08-05, 11:18 PM
I will not be coming to GenCon. Sorry everyone. :smallsigh:

Zeb The Troll
2008-08-05, 11:22 PM
:smallfrown:

You have to run Town of Horrors. And Return to the Town of Horrors. And Town of Elemental Ebil. And Town on the Borderlands. You HAVE to!

I'm sorry to hear that it's not working out for you, man. We'll catch you at the next meetup, eh?

*makes plans to win lottery so he can help everyone get to meetups and cons that he's attending*

Ceika
2008-08-06, 07:50 AM
I will not be coming to GenCon. Sorry everyone. :smallsigh:

Awww, sorry to hear it, Trog! Hope we'll see you at a meet-up in the future!

Ranis
2008-08-06, 08:34 AM
For anyone that missed it or was unclear about what was happening:

Thursday at noon we're going to meet up in the second floor Serpentine Lobby to get in groups, say hi to old friends, etc etc until we just kind of split off from there. On Friday at 8PM and Saturday at 8PM, we will be meeting again to share stories, hang out, and grab things to eat and such.

I'll probably be taking a giant group picture on the Saturday meetup, so if you can only make one of those meetups, please make it that one.

I think we should mob Rich at his booth if he'll be there this time :D

wxdruid
2008-08-06, 08:49 AM
Unless things radically change in the next day or two, I will not be able to come. I've been told I will most likely be going on a 'deployment' to Shaw AFB, SC and I am required to take a class from 13-15 Aug, there are no other dates to take it as the 'deployment' starts at the beginning of September.

I find all of this out on my daughter's birthday...and after I bought my GenCon ticket.

*puts head in hands* I just don't know.

edit: went to work...talked to the Lt, so much fun. They'll at least give me Friday evening through Sunday afternoon to come to Indy, unless things change in the meantime. BLEH!

Kyrian
2008-08-07, 12:00 PM
I'm still gearing to go. Got Thursday and Friday off (should have Sat and Sun too, but that schedule isn't up yet), BUT...

My stepfather passed away Tuesday, and my mom's told me that the memorial service she's going to have is Saturday at 2.

I want to meet you all. Going to be there Thursday, going to try and get there early so we can get the tickets >.> But if I can swing by Saturday, it'll be for a bit in the morning to say hi to people, then likely up to the memorial service.

Balthor
2008-08-08, 09:39 AM
Sorry to hear about your loss. I will be attending all 4 days. Noon on Thursday huh?....I will have to check the itenerary, but I think that is do-able.

Renegade Paladin
2008-08-08, 12:05 PM
I'll be there on Wednesday afternoon; if anyone wants to meet really super-early, drop me a PM. Otherwise, I'll probably hit up one of the museums or something while waiting for the con to get going.

Krade
2008-08-08, 05:23 PM
Well, I will officially be working at GenCon:smallbiggrin:

So free badge for me + wage (though I don't know how much).
I don't don't know exactly when my three shifts wil be yet, though I can say that the first one will probably be Wednesday so I don't have to worry so much about working while all the fun is going on.

My "training/orientation" thingy is tomorrow at 2pm. That's when I'll find out the rest of all the information and then I'll let the rest of you know:smallwink:

Indurain
2008-08-08, 07:38 PM
So, I've decided since Trog can't make it, but he's got good ideas, that I will try to run a Town oriented 4e session.

Room for 6. (If I get 12, I may run it twice, time allowing).

Level to be determined shortly. Please have characters created (I don't have time to make characters for you).

That is all.

(Why do I run myself ragged? Because I'm a glutton!)

wxdruid
2008-08-08, 07:53 PM
Indurain, I want in, if you're having it on Sat or early Sun. Please send me the basics I will need for character creation, Please?:smallfrown:

and you forgot an extra noparse tag in your sig...

Indurain
2008-08-08, 07:59 PM
Indurain, I want in, if you're having it on Sat or early Sun. Please send me the basics I will need for character creation, Please?:smallfrown:

and you forgot an extra noparse tag in your sig...

I will hold it on Saturday, just for you! There, that's one date for those interested. Just for my druid!

What kind of basics do you need?

wxdruid
2008-08-08, 08:03 PM
Thanks Indurain, I'll get to work after you post the details of what you want.

:smallsmile:

Like what you expect for ability scores, level and such?

Indurain
2008-08-08, 08:05 PM
Thanks Indurain, I'll get to work after you post the details of what you want.

:smallsmile:

Like what you expect for ability scores, level and such?

Gotcha, expect specifics later tonight, if I get a chance at work.

Alarra
2008-08-08, 08:57 PM
Zeb and I would like to play please!

Indurain
2008-08-08, 09:12 PM
Zeb and I would like to play please!

I figured as much. :smallwink:

Lex-Kat
2008-08-08, 09:14 PM
I'd love to play, but I don't have the books.

If someone would be so kind as to make a character for me, I can play anything. But if not, oh well.:smallamused:

Ranis
2008-08-08, 10:39 PM
What do you mean, Town-oriented? I'd love to play, but I don't have a Town character.

Indurain
2008-08-09, 12:08 AM
You don't have to have a town character, it'll just take place in the Town, and have characters from the town in it. (And hopefully carry the fun, fancy-free mood that the town used to have)

Indurain
2008-08-09, 03:46 AM
Okay...a few details have been ironed out.

Level: 6
Ability Score Method: Customizing Scores (PHb. 17)
Starting Gold: Standard

That's all I've got for now. But I'm getting excited about this now!

Kyrian
2008-08-09, 11:53 AM
Does anyone know the answer to this:

Alright, so I don't have tickets yet. Just planned on buying them Thursday. Am I able to use my card to pay for them there at the door?

Thes Hunter
2008-08-09, 12:17 PM
Yes Gen Con takes credit cards. 'At the door' is a bit of a mis-nomer. There are booths on the first floor. The lines tend to be long all of Thursday.

Indurain
2008-08-09, 01:24 PM
We went first thing in the morning on Thursday last year, and I think we were in line for about an hour or so, which isn't too bad as long as you've got good company.

Renegade Paladin
2008-08-09, 01:47 PM
You might be able to buy passes on Wednesday. Not sure, but it's worth a shot.