PDA

View Full Version : ECL 5 ideas?

Admiral Squish
2008-01-22, 08:55 AM
SO, I'm making a batch of new characters. So far, I have a dragonwrought kobold ranger 2/scout 3, with the archery combat style, who's on his way to combat trapsmith, a Dolgrim Fighter 2/Cleric of war 1, a changeling Rogue 1/Ninja 2/warlock 2 on her way to spellwarp sniper, and I'm making a half-prismatic dragon something. Probably paladin or knight. This is the first ECL 5 bunch I've made, so tell me if I've made any stupid mistakes, yet. And I think I'll need a fifth wheel, who I have yet to come up with.

Ten points if you knew right away what a dolgrim is.

Admiral Squish
2008-01-22, 02:33 PM
So, I made the half-dragon a half-chaos dragon, and added two levels of barbarian on. Sadly, ECL 5 means no dragon breath, yet. But, that's on the list of things to get.

But again, stuck on the fifth wheel. Maybe a full caster?

Draz74
2008-01-22, 03:19 PM
Yeah, you need a full caster, especially one focused on utility since your Spellwarp Sniper guy is already focusing on dealing damage. Something without an LA, just to be different from some of your other characters.

I recommend Psion. For race ... Elan and Human are the classic strong answers, but you seem to want unique characters more than optimized ones, so ... Dwarf? Halfling? Xeph?

Bag_of_Holding
2008-01-22, 09:42 PM
With the extra 10 points for knowing what a dolgrim is (an Eberron fan here), I'd say you might want an artificer just for a change. A warforged artificer sounds fancy here.

Lolzords
2008-01-23, 08:00 AM
Level 1 pixie (+4 LA) rogue, can fly, use greater invisibility at will and has a handful of neat abilities, good fun. Also, the +8 to dexterity makes you better at a level 5 human rogue with maxed out (insert dexterity based skill).

kamikasei
2008-01-23, 08:10 AM
Level 1 pixie (+4 LA) rogue, can fly, use greater invisibility at will and has a handful of neat abilities, good fun. Also, the +8 to dexterity makes you better at a level 5 human rogue with maxed out (insert dexterity based skill).

?

+8 Dex gives you a +4 boost on your modifier, which only makes up for the 4 extra ranks that the level 5 human will have over you. Of course, you'll get that on all your Dex checks, not just the ones the human saw fit to max, but still. Assuming the same base stats the human is your equal in skills you both care about.

Plus, though it's only relevant at precisely this level, the human has synergy bonuses and you don't.

CASTLEMIKE
2008-01-23, 08:47 AM
Dragon Shaman -1 for the Healing Aura, Factotum -3 with Iajutsu Foucs skill, Marshal -1 Motivate Aura or Warblade -1 or other class level to taste.

Archivist -5

Admiral Squish
2008-01-23, 09:37 AM
?

+8 Dex gives you a +4 boost on your modifier, which only makes up for the 4 extra ranks that the level 5 human will have over you. Of course, you'll get that on all your Dex checks, not just the ones the human saw fit to max, but still. Assuming the same base stats the human is your equal in skills you both care about.

Plus, though it's only relevant at precisely this level, the human has synergy bonuses and you don't.

Then again, it's also got nifty bonuses to just about everything else, too. Including intelligence, which adds up to three extra skill points/level. Then Charisma, makes for quite the infiltrator, and greater invisibility, which gets rid of my need for the ninja levels. Definitely a good plan.

Is it even fluff-legal to have a fey warlock?

Dragon Shaman -1 for the Healing Aura, Factotum -3 with Iajutsu Foucs skill, Marshal -1 Motivate Aura or Warblade -1 or other class level to taste.

Archivist -5
Okay, I know two of those classes, and I have rules for one.

Draz74
2008-01-23, 12:41 PM
Then again, it's also got nifty bonuses to just about everything else, too. Including intelligence, which adds up to three extra skill points/level. Then Charisma, makes for quite the infiltrator, and greater invisibility, which gets rid of my need for the ninja levels. Definitely a good plan.

Except for the way you can be killed at this level in one hit by anything that can bypass your Invisibility. :smalltongue:

Is it even fluff-legal to have a fey warlock?

Definitely -- Complete Arcane mentions the possibility in the Warlock's fluff, and in 4e this is being expanded to be a major warlock option.