PDA

View Full Version : [Race] Igmarin [PEACH]

Neftren
2008-01-22, 09:50 AM
A stocky humanoid race, these pioneering individuals forged an empire through sword and military might. The Imperial Igmarin Empire now exists as the sole masters of the central continent of Soraya, as well as encroaching upon the lush jungle island of Morandor. Standing between four and a half to five feet tall and weighing between 130 and 160 pounds with dark skin and characterized by their almost demonic looking red eyes, Igmarin are feared by many.

• +2 Strength, +2 Constitution, -4 Wisdom. Strong in body, but centuries of rule over others have made them narrow minded and lax as well as comfortable with their lifestyle.
• Military Discipline: An Igmarin has learned to ignore pain and may march an additional two hours per day without making constitution checks to prevent non-lethal damage.
• Intuitive Rider: An Igmarin has been trained from birth to wield weapons in combat, and his skills on a horse are unparalleled. An Igmarin gains a +4 bonus to Ride Checks and a +2 bonus to Handle Animal Checks.
• Weapon Mastery: An Igmarin who has feats that affect the use of a particular type of weapon, such as Weapon Focus or the like, can apply the benefits to any weapon of the appropriate size and category.
• Automatic Languages: Common, Codesign, Tradespeak. Bonus Languages: Elven, Goblin, Orcish
• Favored Class: Imperial Courier. Imperial Couriers are frequently seen delivering the edicts of the Emperor. Skilled warriors on horseback and on foot, Imperial Couriers represent the elite of the Igmarin Cavalry Corps.*

Lord_Gareth
2008-01-22, 11:17 AM
The race itself is fine, if a little weak and bland both in terms of statistics and flavor. What the hell are Weapon Group feats?

Compared to other L.A. 0 races - elves, Lesser Tieflings, dwarves, humans - the Igmarin seems lackluster and below par, especially if used outside a melee class (before you scoff, I have one word for you - archer). Try spicing them up a little, aye?

Neftren
2008-01-22, 12:01 PM
Well it's weak in flavor for one reason. It's for my campaign setting (as are the Tilwari if you want to check that out) and I'm keeping a tight lockdown on all flavor related things. I just need to make sure none of this is broken crunch wise. How is it weak in statistics? I believe I covered everything.

Weapon Group Feats = Weapon Focus/Specialization etc.
I actually will replace that line with text somewhat closer to the Aptitude Enchantment from the Tome of Battle... don't have it on hand right now.

The entire point of this race is mundane military combat. Ever played Morrowind? Think a combination between the Redguards and the race that the empire there is.

I'm sticking to core classes, although I may change the favored class to Templar, which is another class I'm writing up.

Lord_Gareth
2008-01-22, 01:42 PM
"Mundane Military Combat" can be achieved through other means. What I was pointing out earlier is that your race here is lacking in quite a few things that make combat viable. It's a poor commander who has a low Wisdom score, for example, so they're obviously not battle leaders. A fighter can pick up a bow just as easily as a blade, but they aren't geared for that. The entire race seems to be built for the use of two-handed weaponry or as mules to carry a large amount of stuff into the fight.

Like I said before, in terms of statistics, look at other L.A. 0 races. Dwarf is often considered the top line - Half-Elf is the bottom. And frankly, I'd rather play a halfie, statistics-wise.

The race is just kinda...boring. Even the Redgaurds and the Imperials have their flairs that make them distinctive - in their respective cases, Redguards make lightly armored juggernauts and Imperials field legions of soldiers clad in cold steel and righteous fury - but yours just...doesn't. Nothing they do makes them particularly noteworthy or lets them stand out.

Neftren
2008-01-22, 06:53 PM
"Mundane Military Combat" can be achieved through other means. What I was pointing out earlier is that your race here is lacking in quite a few things that make combat viable. It's a poor commander who has a low Wisdom score, for example, so they're obviously not battle leaders. A fighter can pick up a bow just as easily as a blade, but they aren't geared for that. The entire race seems to be built for the use of two-handed weaponry or as mules to carry a large amount of stuff into the fight.

Like I said before, in terms of statistics, look at other L.A. 0 races. Dwarf is often considered the top line - Half-Elf is the bottom. And frankly, I'd rather play a halfie, statistics-wise.

The race is just kinda...boring. Even the Redgaurds and the Imperials have their flairs that make them distinctive - in their respective cases, Redguards make lightly armored juggernauts and Imperials field legions of soldiers clad in cold steel and righteous fury - but yours just...doesn't. Nothing they do makes them particularly noteworthy or lets them stand out.

I fail to see how they are built for one form of combat or another. I explained the wisdom hit as their being narrow minded after centuries of rule over others. They've become comfortable with their style of living. Besides, an officer would be someone with a higher than average score set... 14 is definitely above average, and if someone had a mind to make an officer type person, they could always put Wisdom as a higher score.

Besides, they're not supposed to stand out. These races are supposed to be like... "humans", except more military geared.

Neftren
2008-01-23, 06:44 PM
Cause Bumping!

No, really, I made some major updates, which I hope have changed the class to more of a mounted warrior that used their speed to conquer others... sort of like Blitzkrieg.

EvilElitest
2008-01-23, 11:14 PM
Fluff please
from
EE

Neftren
2008-01-24, 04:36 PM
Basically, the Igmarin Empire has conquered the entire main island body of land, and has stood for roughly 700 years. They had conquered the island with efficient cavalry use and light and medium armored troops, so it's a combination Redguards from Morrowind and the cavalry version of Blitzkrieg. Roughly.

After driving the original inhabitants out (Still deciding on a name for them, since I'm writing the race), the Igmarin Empire fought a short 5 year civil war blah blah blah, then now are expanding onto the southern island. Where they conveniently rediscover the original inhabitants.

Most adventuring will take place on the main island and the southern island, and then finally there's a third island to the north, which is the final race's homeland... which will be a surprise.

Demented
2008-01-24, 08:12 PM
Weapon Mastery seems unusual. Considering it's mainly specific to the Fighter, I can't really say it's overpowered ( :p ), but it does circumvent a defining characteristic of that feat train.

Also, anyone can march an additional two hours a day. Do you mean force-march without paying for it? Or can they march 26 hours out of every 24-hour day? =P (That would be j'ausome for a timeshifting class.)

Too bad their horses can't do any extra force marching.

Compare with Lizardfolk to find an LA+1 version of your race.

Neftren
2008-01-24, 08:16 PM
Weapon Mastery seems unusual. Considering it's mainly specific to the Fighter, I can't really say it's overpowered ( :p ), but it does circumvent a defining characteristic of that feat train.

Also, anyone can march an additional two hours a day. Do you mean force-march without paying for it? Or can they march 26 hours out of every 24-hour day? =P (That would be j'ausome for a timeshifting class.)

Too bad their horses can't do any extra force marching.

Compare with Lizardfolk to find an LA+1 version of your race.

Weapon Mastery should read like the Aptitude enchant... ooh I better fix that part. Thanks for reminding me.

Yes, I meant without Con Checks to avoid being fatigued/exhausted etc.

:D

Where are lizardfolk from...? I'm also building these to be LA 0 races...

Edit: Fixed the text on Weapon Mastery.

Lizardfolk are ECL 3 to begin with. The stuff it gets is definitely fitting to LA +1, along with the natural weapons, feat, etc.

I just need to know if this is overpowered or balanced as it is.