PDA

View Full Version : Antimagic Field for Non-Casters

FinalJustice
2008-01-22, 11:21 AM
Is there any item that do it. You shout a command word and an AMF bursts out?

I remember seeing it as a shield property, but I can't remember where or if I just dreamed about it. ^^'

CASTLEMIKE
2008-01-22, 12:43 PM
Yes from FRCS the Underdark: the Antimagic Torc usable 1/day for 25,000 gp.

Keld Denar
2008-01-22, 01:19 PM
Wasn't AM Torc reproduced in the MIC? I thought I remembered seeing it there.

AM fields hurt non-casters too though. I have a level 15 fighter who glows like a lightbulb under detect magic and doesn't exceed wealth by levels. If his magic weapon, magic armor, +6 str belt, +4 con neck, boots of speed, ring of freedom of movement and ring of invisibility all stopped working regularly, he'd feel pretty sad to say the least. AMF is a great tool to use, but shouldn't be relied upon regularly. About the best time to use it is when you attempt to grapple powerful spell caster who is buffed beyond all recognition or up to your neck in incorporial undead.

Crimson Avenger
2008-01-22, 02:16 PM
It's true that it's not so useful against, say, dragons. Against most other critters though...

Melee types still get their feats and MW on magical weapons, and by the time you're 11th level, you should have enough bonuses to pretty much bypass the Nt Ar and Dex of most critters. Not to mention that a Soul Knofe with said item could be truly devestating, seeing as they can save to keep their blades in an AMF.

Dropped one on my 13th level geshtalt characters recently. They were not happy campers. They have most of their strength invested in caster levels. They were practically helpless. The melee guy they were fighting barely lost any AC or Att bonus.

Oh, the wailing, and gnashing of teeth, how it is sweet music to my ears.

Chronos
2008-01-22, 03:37 PM
Rogues also do wonderfully in anti-magic fields. Their skills let them do some pretty darned impressive things, with no magic at all. Who needs Invisibility, when you've got a Hide check of 50?

nargbop
2008-01-22, 04:39 PM
Antimagic Torc + Sovereign Glue + Enemy Spellcaster = fun fun fun.

Draz74
2008-01-22, 05:11 PM
AMF is a great tool to use, but shouldn't be relied upon regularly. About the best time to use it is when you

... are a dragon and you can cast it as a Sorcerer spell, then grapple a party of adventurers to death. :smallamused:

Other than maybe Tome of Battle classes, this should make almost any fight easy for you.

Chronos
2008-01-22, 05:23 PM
Oh, and scrolls and UMD should be mentioned, too. Every rogue who can semi-reliably hit the DC should have a scroll of Antimagic Field on him at all times.

Crimson Avenger, it's particularly humbling that that worked on them in gestalt. If anyone should be able to weather an Antimagic Field, it's a gestalt character, who typically has one noncasting side to the progression.

Curmudgeon
2008-01-23, 12:26 AM
Rogues also do wonderfully in anti-magic fields. Their skills let them do some pretty darned impressive things, with no magic at all. Who needs Invisibility, when you've got a Hide check of 50? Actually, most Rogues won't have a Hide check nearly as high in an Antimagic Field. Rogues are the class most likely to be brimming over with magical boosts; after all, they've got the skills to acquire such wondrous swag.

Kristoss
2008-01-23, 01:42 AM
Antimagic Torc + Sovereign Glue + Enemy Spellcaster = fun fun fun.

soverign glue is a magic item. It has a strong Transmutation aurer a CL of 20 and requires the make whole spell.
This tactic would probably work better with an alchemical glue.

Chronos
2008-01-23, 03:14 PM
Actually, most Rogues won't have a Hide check nearly as high in an Antimagic Field. Rogues are the class most likely to be brimming over with magical boosts; after all, they've got the skills to acquire such wondrous swag.Oh, sure, you can get your skills much higher with magic than without, but even the nonmagical score can still easily be high enough to beat any Spot check short of dragons and druids. If you're up against a dragon, the AMF is not the tactic to use. But if I'm raiding a wizard's tower, I'm a lot more concerned about all the magic I don't have than the magic I do.

loves_to_laugh
2008-01-23, 04:21 PM
I think that it would be worth it to have.

From my experience a monk with the ability to cast that is amazing. I was a gestalt monk/cleric and when all my stuff was gone from mordenkainen's disjunction, I cast that and hit my opponent with flurry of blows (not in the same turn) and killed him in one hit.