PDA

View Full Version : The game we are missing

Nameless
2008-01-22, 02:36 PM
I've searched this entire thread and I have to say that I'm amazed.
There are many threads for various different games, some other games that should be here that arn't. But there's one that seriously should be here that isn't. This is for a game that has stood out of many, a game that has one of the most sequels along side Final Fantasy. This thread is dedicated to one of the greatest video games of all time...

MARIO!

Laides, gentalmen... START YOUR POLYPHONIC MUSIC! :amused:

http://www.onlinesupermario.com/images/realmario.JPG

Ominous
2008-01-22, 02:50 PM
But which one?

Personally, Super Mario Brothers 3 is the greatest game of all time, but others will state that Super Mario World is the greatest of all time.

SMB3 has more levels, more powerups, and a greater challenge. It completely dominates SMW. :smalltongue:

Albub
2008-01-22, 02:57 PM
That's just it, smb3 is rather overwhelming. I got stuck on a level for in excess of a dozen continues, and haven't picked it up again since. I'm very close to finishing SMW, and I think that the level design and music are better, and the secrets are slightly more accessible, which is fine in my books, I don't have time to go nuts finding every last secret.

Ominous
2008-01-22, 03:07 PM
If you're having trouble, get the two whistles and just beat the last world.

Being overwhelming is the beauty of the game. SMB3 has wonderful replay value. I have absolutely no desire to play SMW again. I do play the SMW hacks though, as they definitely add some much needed challenge.

If you thought SMB3 was tough, don't play the Lost Levels (SMB2 in Japan). That is a nasty Mario game.

RTGoodman
2008-01-22, 03:22 PM
Of the Mario games, I have to say that Super Mario World was the best. Of course, if you include all of the games have the character Mario, that has to go to Yoshi's Island. Either way, I've probably beaten each of those games 100% a dozen times or more.

Nameless
2008-01-22, 03:29 PM
Personally I think the original Mario is the best.
Not because it has more then the otheres, but because it was the first one.
Only a genius could of have come with an idea of an italian plumber that can jump 20ft in the air. :smalltongue:

And check out how harcore mario can really be:

http://www.screenhead.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/mario.jpg

Elektro
2008-01-22, 03:49 PM
Only a genius could of have come with an idea of an italian plumber that can jump 20ft in the air. :smalltongue:

Or someone who was eating a little too many "magic mushrooms." :smallbiggrin:

If you thought SMB3 was tough, don't play the Lost Levels (SMB2 in Japan). That is a nasty Mario game.

The first time I got a $&%*# poison mushroom I was not happy. That's just cruel. :smallmad:

I love both SMB3 and SMW. If I had to pick one though, SMB3 would take the crown. It is the ultimate refinement of the original Mario platformer.

Nameless
2008-01-22, 03:56 PM
Or someone who was eating a little too many "magic mushrooms." :smallbiggrin:

The first time I got a $&%*# poison mushroom I was not happy. That's just cruel. :smallmad:

I love both SMB3 and SMW. If I had to pick one though, SMB3 would take the crown. It is the ultimate refinement of the original Mario platformer.

I'm trying to learn the mario theme tune on guitar... :smalltongue:

Zenos
2008-01-22, 04:38 PM

Some of my schoolmates did learn the theme tune, not just for guitar but for piano too...

Zenos
2008-01-22, 04:43 PM

Some of my schoolmates did learn the theme tune, not just for guitar but for piano too...

valadil
2008-01-22, 05:01 PM
Personally I've always preferred Mario2 even though it isn't actually a Mario game, but Doki Doki Panic rebranded with Mario characters. I dunno, something about throwing enemies at other enemies has always appealed to me.

Cristo Meyers
2008-01-22, 05:12 PM
3, hands down. World was good for showing off the improved graphics of the SNES and a decent enough time-waster, but 3 had a way of just beating you down but still making you want to come back for more (instead of, say, controller-hurling). There are too few games now that can claim that.

I actually beat Lost Levels, it's pretty much impossible if you don't use Luigi.

H. Zee
2008-01-23, 02:26 AM
It never fails to amuse me that Mario's full name is 'Mario Mario.'

The only Mario game I've played was when I was between 8 and 10, when I played 'Super Mario Bros. Deluxe' for the Gameboy Colour. It was fantastically difficult, but I still managed to unlock 'Super Players Mode' (which is just Super Mario Bros. 2) and discovered a whole new level of frustration. Especially since in this version, Luigi doesn't have the higher jumping ability. :smallfurious:

About a month ago, I found my old Gameboy lurking in a box with the Mario cartridge still in, and the battery incredibly at full power. I picked it up and played it, fully expecting it to be a pushover, since my hand-eye co-ordination must have improved since I was ten, surely?

Nope.

Nameless
2008-01-23, 11:45 AM
I wonder who would win in a battle between mario and pack man...

I guess it's one of thjose question's that would never be answered like whole "pirate Vs ninja" thing.

@Zenos: Aye, I've seen it done on piano many times.

Mando Knight
2008-01-23, 01:23 PM
Super Mario Bros.: the Lost Levels (hereafter referred to in this post as SMB2) is freakishly hard on the VC version, not quite as much on Mario All-Stars for the SNES. All-Stars was my first Mario game, and that collection was NES Mario at its best.

To all unbelievers of the doctrine of Nintendo-Hard, I say to you: PLAY SMB2!

Even though I got to D-4 on SMB2 in All-Stars, I'm somehow stuck playing World 3 over and over on the VC version, perhaps because game overs send you back to the first level of the world with only 3 lives...

Drascin
2008-01-23, 01:38 PM
The VC version of Lost Levels is even harder than in SNES? That's interesting... I guess I have a new challenge ahead of myself - rebeat Lost Levels, this time even harder!

And having defeated the SNES version whole, and remembering just what it took to beat it, I think I can say with confidence I foresee much frustrated roaring in my future... :smallsigh:

Anyway, yep, put me on the group to prefer SMB3 to World (even though World is very very good too, and Yoshi is huge bonus points)... but I also gotta say, I prefer Super Mario Galaxy even more. Best Mario Game ever? I'd say probably. A smidge too easy, but you enjoy it from beginning to end.

Still, I don't think there is a Mario platformer that is not at least very enjoyable, and most are absolute masterpieces of the genre. As a lover of the genre, I can honestly say Mario games never dissapoint.

Mando Knight
2008-01-23, 01:43 PM
The only reasons why the VC version is harder are:

1. Every time you get game over, you start at the beginning of the world you died in, i.e. 3-1.

2. You only get 3 lives

3. You can't save, quit, reload, and then choose the other character and continue from the same spot, so any strategy that requires switching between Luigi and Mario is out.

Nameless
2008-01-23, 03:39 PM
Nay fools!

It's the 64 coloured original Mario! :smallbiggrin:

@Mamdo: Aye, but in the original you can't save it even after you get to the next world, every time, you turn the consul off you have to re-start.

Mando Knight
2008-01-23, 04:53 PM
The only way you can "save" in the VC version is their only semi-merciful suspension mode. Thus my third point. You can do this to great effect in All Stars. I suspect that even the restart-on-the-same-world bit was from an act of mercy, as the original Super Mario Bros. had you go all the way back to the beginning of the game if you got a game over, by what I've seen on the VC version...

Gaelbert
2008-01-23, 05:52 PM
Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door rocks my socks off. It's an amazing game, one that I've beaten over and over and unlocked all the secrets, and still can't get enough of.

Nameless
2008-01-24, 05:32 AM
Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door rocks my socks off. It's an amazing game, one that I've beaten over and over and unlocked all the secrets, and still can't get enough of.

How the hell do you play paper mario?

Dumbledore lives
2008-01-24, 06:11 AM
I'm surprised no one's mentioned the 3-D Marios. Sure there new, but I have many fond memories of going through portraits and all sorts of fun in the castle. That's one of the few things I was kind of dissapointed about in Galaxy, the overworld just wasn't as cool as it was before, no secrets, no powerups, just a plain place to get to other levels. Otherwise galaxy was the greatest 3-D Mario Platformer. I'd say Super Mario World was the best, but only because I played it first, otherwise the third one is probalbly the best.

Mario Rules!!!!!!

Khanderas
2008-01-24, 09:42 AM
How the hell do you play paper mario?
Paper mario is an actual game (for a console). Not a DnD kind of paper game.

Nameless
2008-01-24, 11:52 AM
Paper mario is an actual game (for a console). Not a DnD kind of paper game.

But what's the purpos of it? How is it different to normal Mario? :smallconfused:

Mando Knight
2008-01-24, 12:21 PM
Paper Mario is one of the successors to the brilliant Super Mario RPG, It is the only one game for me... in which you have paper-thin characters in a 3D world. It's originally for the N64, has sequels for the Gamecube and Wii, and the original has been ported to the Wii's VC. Get it, play it, and be happy.

I've never taken much of a liking to the non-RPG 3D Marios, because "find the 20 billion stars to save the Princess" idea doesn't appeal much to me... I did like the Bowser battles of Mario 64, though.

Geno9999
2008-01-26, 04:59 PM
Of all the fav Mario games out there it would be... The classic Super Mario Bros. SMB3 is a close one, I also like Super Mario Galaxy because it's slightly more straight forward than most 3D Mario games (AKA; I don't have to run around looking everywhere to look for a *BOOP!*ing blue coin:smallfurious:)
RPG wise... SMRPG (Gimme GENO!) and Paper Mario TYD.

Zeful
2008-01-26, 05:21 PM
Super Mario Bros. 3 is fun, the only downside was if you didn't bring your A-game, you'd die off several times, in a row.

Legend of the Seven Stars is a great game, but I would have liked to see Mario use a sword or something other than a hammer or his fists in that game. Also playing as Bowser was really fun, especially with the Hurly Gloves Bowser: "Hey Mario, I need your help with something, can you come here?"
Mario: "Sure what can I do to help?"
Bowser: "Nothing I just need a weapon."
Mario: "Then why do you need me?"
Bowser: *grins evilly*
Mario: AAAAAIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!!!!

Malic
2008-01-26, 07:32 PM
Super Mario 64. 120 stars...ftw... This was probably the first game I ever beat 100% of.

Nameless
2008-01-27, 11:57 AM
That new 3D mario for the Wii is pretty awesome :smallbiggrin:
We can finally see what world looks like from a nother perspective. :smalltongue:

Geno9999
2008-01-27, 08:39 PM
*playing SMG* YAY! I'm upside down!
Really hated the trial galaxies. Mostly, the surfing one. The Bubble was easy and the Ball one was easy when you slow down and jump to stop momentum (sometimes...)
Got 101% done as both Mario and Luigi ^__^

Lu Yan
2008-01-27, 11:18 PM
check out the Irate gamer on youtube. he reviews really old games including SMB2 (SMB the lost levels). he's pretty funny, though it's been a while since i looked at his stuff.

on-topic: SMB3 was the best, hands down. then again.... the first one had duck hunt as a secondary game where i got to shoot ducks and KILL THAT DAMN DOG!!! *pants heavily*