PDA

View Full Version : Ganritho'Gani - Iron Souls

Lord_Gareth
2008-01-22, 08:00 PM
When the other Gani who had been enslaved to the lich fled the underground for the world above, the Ganritho'Gani stayed underground. Happy and safe in the bowls of the earth, the Iron Souls began to explore, having no need for tunnels or digging. The most passive and friendly of elements when not roused, they struck up a good relationship with the dwarves and drow they encountered, a relationship that just barely keeps both sides from killing each other.

Now the Ganritho'Gani make their living working and mining metals, and a lucrative living it is. Not much in demand on the surface, those few who do appear are often impressive.

Appearence - Ganritho'Gani, like their kin, look like humans distorted with elemental and devlish traits. Iron horns, metallic limbs, steel teeth, and muscles enhanced with naturally-grown wires are all hallmarks of the Iron Souls. Many of them exude an aura of slight distortion on the air around them, and small metal objects shift as they move near.

Personality - Ganritho'Gani can be as unyielding as a steel file, breaking before they ever bend, but some are as flexible as hot metal. It depends on the individual, but most tend to be partially nuetral, clinging to the non-nuetral aspect of their alignment fiercely.

Religion - Ganritho'Gani, depending on alignment, tend to favor either Dwarven or Drow gods and goddesses. Whether or not the Dwarves or Drow like this arrangement is another matter entirely.

Racial Features
+2 Strength, +2 Constitution, -4 Dexterity. Ganritho'Gani are built like heavy blades - strong, tough, and slow.

Humanoid (Earth)

Medium. As medium creatures, Ganritho'Gani have no penalties or bonuses associated with their size.

Base Speed 20 feet. Ganritho'Gani cannot take the run action, but may still charge.

Meld into Earth (Ex) - The Ganritho'Gani may meld into any naturally-occuring deposit of metal, earth, or stone that is at least as large (but not as heavy) as he is. He does not need to breathe while melded into earth.

Magnetics (Su) - Each Iron Soul has his own personal semi-magnetic field that warps metals under his control. As a free action, once a round on his turn, he may declare to what use he is putting his field.

Attraction - The field attracts metal, giving the Ganritho'Gani a +1 Magnetic bonus to attack rolls against foes wearing metal armor or shields, and a -1 Magnetic penalty to armor class against foes weilding metal weapons.

Repulsion - Repulsing metal, this field gives the Iron Soul a +1 Magnetic bonus to armor class against foes using metal weapons, and a -1 Magnetic penalty to attack rolls while weilding a metal weapon.

Repulsor Blast (Su) - A Ganritho'Gani may make Disarm checks on metal weapons and shields within thirty feet of him. He rolls his Wisdom instead of his Strength on his check and neither side gains bonuses or penalties. This manuever still provokes attacks of opporunity from all foes that threaten the Ganritho'Gani and, if successful, throws the weapon or shield in question ten feet backwards from its owner.

Magnetic Armor (Su) - Using his magnetics, the Ganritho'Gani can collect a suit of small, metal objects, no individual object of which can weigh more than half a pound, to form a suit of natural armor on his body. As long as he maintains this suit of armor, he has a +2 armor bonus to his armor class. Collecting the objects takes at least a minute if they are all within ten feet of each other - longer otherwise.

Magnetostorm (Su) - To use this ability, the Ganritho'Gani must have his Magnetic Armor active on his body. Unleashing all of his magnetics at once, the Ganritho'Gani sends his Magnetic Armor into a storm of glittering fragments and deadly shrapnel, dealing 1d6 points of damage per two character levels (starting at level one) to all within ten feet. The use of this ability deactivates all of his Magnetic abilities for four rounds, rendering them useless. This ability may be activated once per day per four character levels (minimum one).

+2 on all Craft checks involving metal.

+2 Natural Armor bonus

Darkvision 60 feet.

Languages - Common, Terran. Bonus Languages: Aquan, Auran, Ignan, Celestial, Infernal.

Favored Class - Fighter

Level Adjustment: +1 (Tentative)

Icewalker
2008-01-22, 10:59 PM
Very cool. Looks like slightly over LA+1...although if they can't stack magnetic armor with normal armor then I think it is balanced. Quite cool.

Having now seen this and the Storm Soul, I think I'm going to check out the other two then make a team of them as like a group of mercenaries. I can see these guys wreaking havoc in a team. Also, it'd be awesome.

JakStone
2008-01-22, 11:10 PM
Extremely cool, though I reiterate my earlier point about names and apostrophes. :P I like these a ton, and I'd love to play one, but I do have a few suggestions:

1) Magnetic Armor shouldn't function when the Ganritho'Gani is wearing other armor as well - perhaps it should just provide an armor bonus instead of a natural armor bonus.
2) If you're going to keep it LA +1, give Meld Into Earth a time limit.

As it stands, it's a very solid LA +2. Two slight changes, and you've got a solid and fun as all else LA +1. :)

Lord_Gareth
2008-01-23, 06:33 AM
I'm pretty sure teh time limit on Meld Into Earth is, "When you die of dehydration, dude." They still need to eat and drink...

I did change the variety of bonus, though.

JakStone
2008-01-23, 12:42 PM
I'm pretty sure teh time limit on Meld Into Earth is, "When you die of dehydration, dude." They still need to eat and drink...

I did change the variety of bonus, though.

Fair point on the dehydration, but I doubt their would be a need for /that/ length of submersion - still, with the other changes, that's really a moot point. :)

I still /love/ the flavor and mechanics of these guys - definitely my favorite of the four.

SilentNight
2008-01-23, 11:14 PM
Nice. This is the last of the Gani I checked out. My favorites have to be the Burning souls and Storm lords. Still a very solid race. In regards to Icewalker though for some reason I can't see them working as a team. I just don't know why. Kudos and large hat tips again.

Lord_Gareth
2008-02-17, 04:04 PM
Final bump!