PDA

View Full Version : Request melee feat advice

Kurald Galain
2008-01-22, 08:42 PM
I would like some advice on feat choice for the characters of two friends of mine, both of which have recently gained third level (and need to pick a third level feat).

One is a half-elven fighter, who has power attack, cleave, and quick draw, and is quickly running out of decent PHB feats since his int is too low for combat expertise, and his dex too low for dodge.

The other is a human barbarian, who has one of those save-boosting feats and thinks the dodge-mobility line is a decent choice, but is willing to consider alternatives.

Splatbooks permitted, except for anything setting-specific, anything related to psionics, and the tome of battle.

Thanks!

BRC
2008-01-22, 08:43 PM
Greater Cleave is always usefull for the half-elf. especially if he uses a reach weapon.

Gralamin
2008-01-22, 08:48 PM
Half-Elf should pick up Improved Bullrush, so he can grab Shocktrooper and Leap Attack later.
The mobile Barbarian has many more options, I recommend Combat Reflexes.

zaei
2008-01-22, 11:00 PM
If the Barbarian thinks Dodge and Mobility are cool, make sure it tops them off with Elusive Target at 6.

For the fighter, maybe the Combat Focus tree? Not the most powerful, but fun and flavorful.

AslanCross
2008-01-22, 11:06 PM
Elusive Target is definitely a good choice, as it negates Power Attacks against you.

Improved Bullrush and Shock Trooper are good choices for the fighter. If not, Improved Trip and Knock-Down (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#knockDown) are good alternatives especially if you use a weapon with a trip bonus.

Sanzh
2008-01-22, 11:27 PM
Maybe because I'm bad at choosing feats, but Improved Initiative is great, especially as initiative mostly stays the same over the levels.
As for other feats, I'd suggest Combat Brute for the Half-Elf, if you end up Power Attacking a lot (as the multipliers for power attack damage are fairly nice). But getting Shock Trooper should be a slightly higher priority.

Seffbasilisk
2008-01-23, 12:17 AM
For the Barbarian, I suggest you look into Compelete Warrior for Extend Rage and Extra Rage.

Extend Rage has saved a number of my characters, and Extra rage? being able to rage more? How is that bad?

the_tick_rules
2008-01-23, 01:09 AM
the rage feats mentioned above me are pretty sexy. as for the elf weapon focus may be good, sounds like his stats are low, plus it helps since fighters live and die by their BAB.

ShadowSiege
2008-01-23, 01:13 AM
For the fighter, the PHB2 fighter feat tree that culminates in Weapon Supremacy is nice. Weapon Supremacy itself is full of win and awesome.

Wordmiser
2008-01-23, 02:32 AM
For the Fighter, Shock Trooper and Combat Brute are always winners--they open some nifty options and they're some of the more powerful feats around.

For the Barbarian, maybe grab Expeditious Dodge from Races of the Wild. If he's playing a mobile character, the +2 Dodge bonus should apply most of the time (and it's easier to track than normal Dodge).

He won't be able to get Elusive Target until level 9 without Fighter levels, and by then Power Attack will be a necessity--so I'm not sure what to suggest as far as that goes.

Person_Man
2008-01-23, 10:21 AM
The only reason in the D&D worlds to be a Half-Elf is to get access to the Sociable Personality feat from Races of Destiny. It lets you re-roll any Diplomacy or Gather Information check, which can be wildly powerful/useful (especially if you have special abilities tied to Diplomacy).

I would suggest that you just take a look at the Fighter thread (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=863508). It has tons of good feat ideas for any melee build.

The stock combinations. Most of them require a two handed reach weapon, like a guisarme or a lance:

Power Attack->Improved Bull Rush->Shock Trooper->Leap Attack: High damage output on a charge.

Combat Reflexes->Combat Expertise->Improved Trip->Knock-Down (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/divineFeats.html): Standard Trip combo.

Mage Slayer->Pierce Magical Concealment: Easy way to screw some casters. They provoke AoO even when casting defensively, and you ignore magical concealment (Blink, Invisibility, Displacement, etc.)

Dodge->Karmic Strike->Combat Reflexes->Robilar's Gambit: Enemy hits you, you hit enemy back twice. Google King of Smack to see how this is optimized.

Power Attack->Improved Bull Rush->Shock Trooper->Leap Attack->Knockback (requires Goliath or Half Giant, should be combined with the Dungeon Crasher variant): Free Bull Rush whenever you Power Attack an enemy. Tons of damage when you Bull Rush them into a wall or other object. Free Trips if you Bull Rush them into another enemy.

Evasive Reflexes->Robilar's Gambit (or Karmic Strike): Every time you provoke an AoO, you get a free 5 ft step. This combo basically prevents most full attacks. With Hold the Line and a reach weapon, it also prevents most Charge attacks.

Dodge->Mobility->Spring Attack is a trap. You only get 1 attack. By mid levels, you should be making 3+ attacks. Also, you can pick up Pounce, a free Move action, and/or 20+ ft reach quite easily. One level of Barbarian using the Complete Champion variant is popular. But there are many other ways (http://forums.gleemax.com/showpost.php?p=5305146#post5305146).

Telonius
2008-01-23, 10:43 AM
The human Barbarian has one save-boosting feat; what's the other first-level feat? If it isn't Power Attack, it should be. Pick it up ASAP.

Kurald Galain
2008-01-26, 02:47 PM
Thanks for the advice.

The only reason in the D&D worlds to be a Half-Elf is to get access to the Sociable Personality feat from Races of Destiny.

The other reason to be a half-elf is because of flavor. This is not a highly optimized campaign, otherwise there probably wouldn't be a fighter :smallwink:

Oh, and the fighter's stats aren't bad, they just are focused on Str and Con (and with point buy, that left little to put in dex and int).

zaei
2008-01-26, 02:48 PM
The only reason in the D&D worlds to be a Half-Elf is to get access to the Sociable Personality feat from Races of Destiny. It lets you re-roll any Diplomacy or Gather Information check, which can be wildly powerful/useful (especially if you have special abilities tied to Diplomacy).

Also, the Half-Elf Bard sub level.

mabriss lethe
2008-01-26, 04:40 PM
Some Domain feats are pretty good choices even for people who don't intend to take any cleric levels (even better for those who do.)

The Barbarian might find the Animal Devotion feat of interest. Swift action to activate, 1 minute duration. choose from a strength bonus, speed bonus, overland flight, or gaining a poisonous bite attack. All abilities from the feat scale with level.

Death Devotion is pretty neat. Swift action enchants one of your weapons for one minute. Force a target to make a fort save or gain a neg level when struck by the weapon. (limit to how many negative levels bestowed upon a single target, increases with character level.)