PDA

View Full Version : Navarri'Gani - Storm Souls

Lord_Gareth
2008-01-22, 09:57 PM
Among the flighty enclave of the elves, the Navarri'Gani make their laughing homes. Beings of air, the Storm Souls were some of the first to take advantage of their new freedom when their fiery brothers destroyed their former lich master and are certainly the most fiercely attached to it. Now closely allied with the elven nations, they act as tempests wherever they go, calling the storms with them.

Appearence - Navarri'Gani seem very stormy in their appearence, as well as thin and slender. Their hair darkens and lightens with teh sky, or they may trail feathers that fall from nowhere. They may have vestigial talons, but most often it seems as if parts of their bodies simply dissapear, becoming wind itself.

Personality - Life is a joyride and the Navarri'Gani are along for the ride. They are almost all Chaotic in alignment.

Religion - Navarri'Gani tend not to have a religion. Or, rather, they have far too many, worshipping whatever god, goddess, nature spirit, powerful elemental, farmboy, archmage, tomcat, etc. that catches their fancy and discarding them just as quickly.

Racial Features
+2 Dexterity, +2 Charisma, -2 Strength, -2 Intelligence. The Storm Souls are graceful of both tongue and body, but somewhat weak and, pardon the pun, total airheads.

Humanoid (Air)

Medium. As Medium Creatures, Navarri'Gani have no penalty or bonus associated with size.

Base Speed 30ft

Stormlord's Grace (Su) - Navarri'Gani are always surrounded by a cushioning pocket of wind that gives them a +2 circumstance bonus to armor class vs. missle weapons and functions as a constant feather fall.

Hurricane Wall (Sp) - Once per day per four character levels (starting at first) the Storm Soul may intensify his cushion of wind to a Wind Wall effect for a number of rounds equal to his Charisma modifier. The wall completely surrounds the Navarri'Gani.

Shrieking Gale (Su) - Once per day per four character levels (starting at level one) the Storm Lord may unleash a shrieking gale, drowning out all sound within twenty feet but its horrible wail. Verbal communication is utterly impossible within the area or into the area, and spells with verbal components cast into it have a 50% chance to fail. Bardsong and similar abilities that require sound are utterly negated, though sound-based damage can still be inflicted. The Shrieking Gale lasts for a number of rounds equal to the Storm Soul's Charisma modifier or until he dismisses it.

Carried on the Wind (Su) - Whenever the Storm Soul wishes it, her sonic abilities may have extra range or area by being carried on the wind. The areas and ranges of all sonic abilities the Storm Soul possesses increases by five feet per four character levels, starting at level one. The Storm Soul may voluntarily reduce this bonus to as small as the spell's normal range/area.

Storm Calling (Sp) - Once per week, the Storm Soul may gather all of his windlore and sing a song to the wind. This is a complex action that provokes attacks of opportunity each round and is performed over ten minutes, and functions identically to a Control Weather spell, except that it can only produce storms of the type appropriate to the environment.

+1 Dodge bonus to armor class

+2 on Jump and Tumble checks.

+2 on all Perform (Sing), Perform (Woodwind), Perform (Brass) and Perform (Oratory) checks.

+1 on all ranged attack rolls.

Languages - Common, Auran. Bonus Languages - Celestial, Infernal, Aquan, Ignan, Terran.

Favored Class - Bard.

Level Adjustment - +1

Icewalker
2008-01-22, 10:18 PM
Oooooh...awesome. By the way, I am SO taking this, for a mysterious hero who has his own ship and just goes around doing whatever the hell he wants. And he was already storm themed! (Although, more along the lines of tempest of blades, but it combines well with this).

Lord_Gareth
2008-01-22, 10:27 PM
^_^ I'm honored. There's three other Gani if you want to look them up - the four together make a nifty little team ^_^

JakStone
2008-01-22, 10:51 PM
I like, though I think the name needs work: I won't jump into a rant now, but the apostrophe is extraneous in the name: Navarri Gani or Navarrigani works fine, unless the apostrophe is there to denote a particular sound. Also, you might want to shorten it some to make it easier to pronounce - Navarri has a cool sound without being overlong, and rolls off the tongue better.

Also, these things are LA +2. They're good at almost any class, their abilities are very powerful, and they have some awesome boosts, such as the +2 dodge to AC (which comes out to an effective +3 due to the +2 dex). If you want to make them LA +1, I'd do this:

Make Hurricane Wall only accessible at level 8 and later.
Make Shrieking Gale opposed preform checks for bardic music, or allow some kind of save/counter. Alternatively, make it only accessible at level 4 and higher.
Give Carried on the Wind a use per day limit, perhaps number of times = cha modifier.
Drop the dodge bonus to +1 (remember, you are already giving it an effective +1 with the dex)
With that, you have a pretty solid +1. If you also dropped the perpetual +4 to AC vs. missiles or even just made it +2, you could probably get away with an LA +0 race. (Remember, as it stands now, these guys have an effective +7 bonus vs. missiles)

However, very cool race and great flavor, just a bit on the powerful side for my sake. Even if you just made a couple of the changes I suggested - Hurricane Gale at level 1, even 1/day, just seems overpowered - then you could keep them at LA +1 as far as I'm concerned.

Lord_Gareth
2008-01-23, 06:36 AM
Why give Carried on the Wind uses per day? How many non-bard classes actually HAVE sonic attacks? Of those, how many of them are actually any good? I mean, geez. +20 feet on your Greater Shout isn't that bad...

What's wrong with Hurricane Wall at lower levels? Granted, that bones over attempts to attack them with ranged weapons when it's used, but he gets it once per day at those lower levels and that greatsword over there looks pretty damn scary.

Dropped the Dodge Bonus to 1

Dodged Bonus vs. Missles to 2.

Shrieking Gale I want to leave alone. Why, you ask? Go out in hurricane wind and try to talk. Good luck :P

JakStone
2008-01-23, 01:12 PM
Why give Carried on the Wind uses per day? How many non-bard classes actually HAVE sonic attacks? Of those, how many of them are actually any good? I mean, geez. +20 feet on your Greater Shout isn't that bad...

That seemed a lot more broken when I was sleep deprived than it does today. It does make these guys the ultimate bards, but you were going for that anyway. Ignore that - for an LA +1, it's balanced.

What's wrong with Hurricane Wall at lower levels? Granted, that bones over attempts to attack them with ranged weapons when it's used, but he gets it once per day at those lower levels and that greatsword over there looks pretty damn scary.

As a general principal, I'm leery of giving low level characters SLAs usable on a daily basis that are above spell level 1 or 2 - a level 3 spell is pushing it, especially considering that it makes the Navarri'Gani immune to arrows, gaseous attacks, small or smaller flying creatures melee attacks, and provides a 30% miss chance on all other ranged attacks? That's pretty damn good for an ECL 2 character - most sorcs and wizards are still casting mage armor/shield at that point.

Dropped the Dodge Bonus to 1

Dodged Bonus vs. Missles to 2.

Glad to hear it - that's a huge help. Effective +4 against missles and +2 overall is perfect for LA +1

Shrieking Gale I want to leave alone. Why, you ask? Go out in hurricane wind and try to talk. Good luck :P

Oh, most definitely...but try getting caught in an explosion and avoiding all damage, or dodging lighting. :p Realism is rarely compatable with balance. I don't think normal talking should get a save or check, but i think bardic music, being magical, should. That's just IMO, not really a huge balance issue.

As of now, you're a lot closer at LA +1, and could get away with it, albiet on the higher end of the spectrum. I still think Hurricane Wall should be set aside for later levels, or maybe incrimental - provides some bonuses at level 1 (such as a 15% miss chance with ranged, 30% with missle) and then you get full effect at level 6-8. That's just IMO, though - it's not essential for complete balance.

Again, your Gani are really well thought out and original: very well done.

Lord_Gareth
2008-02-17, 03:49 PM
Bump so I can find this later ^_^