PDA

View Full Version : The Order of the Stick: April

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

The_King_of_Durf
2005-04-16, 11:39 AM
I agree with Fire Wolf, I think that is was the giant who said that the characters stats change at the speed of plot, or they move at the speed of plot or something like that. They are doing some guessing over in the over-analyzing thread as to Durkon's domains

bigdaddybass
2005-04-16, 12:39 PM
Hello all. I'm a noob to the board, but then I'm also a noob to the comic. I got introduced to the strip last week, and now that i'm all caught up, i feel at least adequately educated enough to read/post on these here boards.

Woo haa..... I'm sure all be around as frequently as most, which is to say hardly at all... :)

Still, good to know i can come round. Toodles...

PokeTheBard
2005-04-16, 02:02 PM
Isn't there a a specific thread for introductions in the Friendly Banter forum?? ???

Ah well... I think Durkon is actually an Epic Level Cleric with nine alignments and at least 6 domains and is just pretending to be pathetic (tied up by Roy, left behind on the Amulet thingy place with the 2nd Ed monsters)

Now he has supreme control over the most elite and powerful fighting force in the whole of the material plane (A bunch of 2nd level Rogues) he can dominate the WORLD in Thors name.

Ok, i'll stop ranting now :-[

Ciao.

Nerd-o-rama
2005-04-16, 02:44 PM
Videospirit: Well, I hope you can use metamagic on domain spells; I've been doing it for years. I just put the spell in a higher level domain slot.

AtomicKitKat: War Domain gives neither Cat's Grace nor Righteous Might in 3.5. <Further discussion moved to overanalysis thread...newbies can try to stay ontopic too, y'know.>

evileeyore
2005-04-16, 03:54 PM
Best Plot Twist Evar!!eleven!!

No joke. Giant really out did himself on this one. Completely and totally set-up, but yet still a bolt from the blue... ba-dum-tsssschh

Woolysock
2005-04-16, 04:31 PM
I know what Durkon should do!!

"All right lads, get out there and CUT DOWN THOSE TREES!!!"

"Um, we're in a forest, sir"

"THEN CUT DOWN AS MANY OF THE EVIL HORDE AS YOU CAN!!!
;D ;D

Gez
2005-04-16, 04:34 PM
Don't bother flipping through your books looking for a Thor's Lightning spell, because you won't find it. A lot of us will have to learn to accept Rich's creative license within his comics. If you really insist on making some sense out of it, it's most likely a house-ruled weather/storm domain spell. Or, as many people suggested, a variation of the call lightning spell.

Don't bother looking for Kord's clenched fist, either. You won't find it. Yet it exists. It's Bigby's clenched fist, but clerics who access this spell through the Strength domain name it after their patron deity.

Is it so hard to suppose that a cleric of Thor with the Weather domain would call call lightning after his patron deity, Thor?

I don't remember Durkon casting cat's grace, when did this happen?

As for righteous might, it's on the Strength domain (that Thor has), but it's also a generic cleric spell. So Durkon doesn't need to have a special domain to cast this one.

Finally, for "metamagicalized" domain spells, yes it's possible, but it'll take a domain spell slot. So, unless Durkon has Sudden Still (which is very possible, the Sudden metamagic feats are better for those "speed of plot" twist than their standard variant), his stilled called lightning would have taken his fourth-level domain slot.

By the way, this mean that you can have several sample of same domain spell prepared. If you have Heighten Spell and the Fire domain, for example, you could prepare 9 burning hands spells, at each of your domain spell slot. Not necessarily a good idea, though. ;D

Tharivol
2005-04-16, 04:46 PM
Durkon cast cat's grace on Elan--or at least he told Elan he did.

And you can prepare in a higher level spell slot if you have a reason to.

Kish
2005-04-16, 04:49 PM
Here (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=27).

Gez
2005-04-16, 04:52 PM

Yeah, that's rather that. The only domains I can remember that give cat's grace to clerics are Elf and Halfling from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting. (Maybe there's one in Complete Divine or Eberron Campaign Setting, I don't remember those domains as well.)

And you can prepare in a higher level spell slot if you have a reason to.

Yes. But that's better if you use a metamagic feat for that, so at way you'll get something in exchange for your higher cost.

Janitor
2005-04-16, 05:09 PM
Don't bother looking for Kord's clenched fist, either. You won't find it. Yet it exists. It's Bigby's clenched fist, but clerics who access this spell through the Strength domain name it after their patron deity.

Is it so hard to suppose that a cleric of Thor with the Weather domain would call call lightning after his patron deity, Thor?

I don't remember Durkon casting cat's grace, when did this happen?

As for righteous might, it's on the Strength domain (that Thor has), but it's also a generic cleric spell. So Durkon doesn't need to have a special domain to cast this one.

Finally, for "metamagicalized" domain spells, yes it's possible, but it'll take a domain spell slot. So, unless Durkon has Sudden Still (which is very possible, the Sudden metamagic feats are better for those "speed of plot" twist than their standard variant), his stilled called lightning would have taken his fourth-level domain slot.

By the way, this mean that you can have several sample of same domain spell prepared. If you have Heighten Spell and the Fire domain, for example, you could prepare 9 burning hands spells, at each of your domain spell slot. Not necessarily a good idea, though. ;D

As I have said, it could be a variation of the call lightning spell.

Kord's clenched fist is in the PHB, the rule that allows you to use your deity's name instead of bigby's is explict. The very fact that you know such a spell exists suggests it is in fact in a book. I'm simply saying looking for "Thor's Lightning" in the index of any book will prove to be fruitless. I am urging people to stop being rule-lawyers and accept the comic as clever and funny interpretation of the d20 system.

No, it is not hard to believe that it is a domain spell from Thor's weather domain. In fact I mentioned it in my original post as a domain spell from the weather/storm domain.

Durkon cast cat's grace on Elan when he was naked.

As for the rest of your post. I'd like to remind you that the comic will not be 100% in line with WotC's books. Arguing about such trivial matters after Rich specifically stated that he does not care whether or not he follows the rules is pointless. As stated in the FAQ and as mentioned in the above the strip follows the "speed of plot" rule. If Durkon needs to strike a tree with a lightning bolt, thus causing it to fall on the bandit leader's head, all for the sake of a joke, then he can damn well do it. Perhaps arguing the legitimacy of such actions deserves its own thread. I'm sure there are plenty of people who would vehemently argue one way or another on such issues. I feel that it would be much more appropriate to limit such attacks on a person's insight to the suggested thread. Otherwise criticizing another person's opinion and intelligence has no suitable place.

I advise all of you, please, try to view OotS as what it is, a comic. We need not get all worked up over a delightful piece of fiction.

Starbuck_II
2005-04-16, 05:18 PM
Perhaps Durkon was originally made in 2nd Edition and took some sort of custom made Kit for a Cleric of Thor. One of the abilities granted was the ability to summon a bolt of lightning once per day at will meaning no Somantic Component needed.

Is not 1/day not useable limitation for at will abilities? I believe you meant Spell-like ability. Spell-like means no something, so it is possible than for no somatic.

Not to nitpick too much, but if it is at will than no can be 1/day.

Though it does answer the question of "If a tree falls in the woods and lands on a bandit leader's head, does he get a reflex save?"

Yes, unless it is a father, than it doesn't :P

The_Shadow
2005-04-16, 09:44 PM
I just noticed something... In panel 5 of #169, it looks like the lower half of Roy's left arm is missing.

I sure hope that's a mistake...

The Glyphstone
2005-04-17, 07:39 AM
Oh, that could be nasty.

The_King_of_Durf
2005-04-17, 10:09 AM
I don't think a falling rhino would break his arm off, it'd crush him flat as a pancake though

Brianna_Sollandry
2005-04-17, 02:14 PM
If I ever introduce a Bag of Tricks in my campaign I would add as a house rule for the grey and rust bags:

"95-100: Roll on the next table."

Ha ha ha. I gave out a gray bag of tricks recently.I like this idea and just may have to do it myself.

nihil8r
2005-04-17, 03:16 PM
I don't think Sabine has anything to do with the bandits, however, I believe Samantha will join the Linear League as replacement for Drizzt Rip-Off.

Sneak
2005-04-17, 03:58 PM
I wonder what'll happen when the rest of the party wakes up

A_petrock
2005-04-17, 07:29 PM
if i must guess as to what happens next.. you will have to walk with me as crackheaded ideas pop into my head.

if the party doesnt wake up soon.. durkon might have the bandits chopping at the trees, enemies of his god. or something more gruesome.. like teaching them how to make paper.. and have the other trees watch!

or...

the party wakes up.. everyone is untied they possibly gain some more information about the starmetal, punish the wicked, and uhh.. other stuff..

or

they all buy the leadership feat for lots of henchmen/ minions

or

its all a dream sequence.

uhh.. or..

i digress..

and ignore my crappy english and/or spelling.. i do

Nerd-o-rama
2005-04-17, 07:40 PM
I wonder what'll happen when the rest of the party wakes up
I just noticed something...Roy and the rest of the party have already been carried off to be dumped in the woods. So it won't be

"My first command as yer bandit king: ye'll untie me friends an' let me heal 'em!"

It'll be

"Where'n Thor's name is Roy?"

mimicgogo
2005-04-18, 04:04 AM
Wow. Great comic. As a college student, I think the college gods might smite me if I didn't say, "Best...comic...ever" and insist that I would give my spleen for that mighty cup o' ale. But seriously, how much could you sell a golden keg for?

SumGuy
2005-04-18, 04:10 AM
Wow. Great comic. As a college student, I think the college gods might smite me if I didn't say, "Best...comic...ever" and insist that I would give my spleen for that mighty cup o' ale. But seriously, how much could you sell a golden keg for?

If you look closely, the tankard has WWTD on the bottom in a slightly different color yellow.

Knight13
2005-04-18, 04:19 AM
It looks more like WWPD to me. What does the P stand for?

Kish
2005-04-18, 04:21 AM
I don't know what P would stand for, but a stylized T would stand for Thor (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=73).

Invariel
2005-04-18, 07:22 AM
The first thing that came to my mind was the Bandit Sandwich Artisan. Someone's getting ready for the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie, methinks.

Eslington
2005-04-18, 07:49 AM
It looks more like WWPD to me. What does the P stand for?

Phor?

Sundog
2005-04-18, 08:04 AM
Definitely WWTD, just like Durkon's used before.

Now, what has happened to skank and skank-daddy..?

ObadiahtheSlim
2005-04-18, 08:05 AM
Well done Durkon. Thinking of the well being of your followers, but not before getting a little something to remember it by. And what better than a large golden tankard with holy symbol's inscription on it?

Ferret_Dragon
2005-04-18, 08:55 AM
Good one...

Dwarves and their holy water.... heheh.

I can see a merchandising idea as Rich gets requests for WWTD mugs...

Grey Watcher
2005-04-18, 08:59 AM
Definitely WWTD, just like Durkon's used before.

Now, what has happened to skank and skank-daddy..?

Samantha's official designation is "slut." Sabine is the resident "skank."

Janitor
2005-04-18, 09:04 AM
Great comic, I loved Durkon's giant WWTD mug. And the bandits defending against the trees were awesome.

RBPRX1204
2005-04-18, 09:27 AM
hehe, a giant golden tankard of beer, priceless. Great comic today.

Nerd-o-rama
2005-04-18, 09:27 AM
You can take the faux-Scotsman out of the mines, but you can't take the lust for massive quantities of alchohol out of te faux-Scotsman.

I think we know where he got the idea for the tankard. That is exactly What Thor Would Do.

Brother_Hood
2005-04-18, 09:40 AM
Go Durkon! :)

Sylian
2005-04-18, 09:50 AM
My first post.

Now I think the aligment of Durkon is LG.

Darasen
2005-04-18, 09:55 AM
New best OOTS line s
So?
Ayup.

OMG that was funny !

WWTD was a good touch also.

AtomicKitKat
2005-04-18, 10:15 AM
So what do you guys think? Brass Beer Stein embossed with WWTD?

Chris_Chandler
2005-04-18, 11:10 AM
Oh, absolutely, but you've gotta have it on a wagon. I mean how else are you gonna get off the wagon. :D

I'm so sorry...

LancerBoY
2005-04-18, 11:24 AM
poor belkar tho, he never gets to have any fun :'(

Kirbykid
2005-04-18, 11:49 AM
can you blame Durkon? you have lackys, you should have them do at least one thing for you and only you. and what better then a WWTD giant golden tanker of booze?

Lilly
2005-04-18, 12:08 PM
So funny.... Must stop reading this in the library.... Need good laugh...

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA

Okay I'd have to say this is one of the funniest ones yet. Yay for giant tankard of beer! Yay for sandwich artisans! Yay for advancing the random prediciton plot!

And Yay! Just Yay for funny comic! Huzzah!

Nikolai_II
2005-04-18, 12:17 PM
I think we know where he got the idea for the tankard. That is exactly What Thor Would Do.

Although to Thors chagrin his tankard was linked to the oceans and seas of the world, making is draught rather pale, but creating ebb and flood.
(Talesource: Thor visits Utgårdaloke)

Nerd-o-rama
2005-04-18, 01:42 PM
Although to Thors chagrin his tankard was linked to the oceans and seas of the world, making is draught rather pale, but creating ebb and flood.
(Talesource: Thor visits Utgårdaloke)
****ing Giants. Haven't got anything better to do than screw with Thor's head and make him make huge dents in the landscape without noticing it.

(One of my favorite myths.)

garand
2005-04-18, 02:12 PM
Indeed ... though I've never personally mistaken sea water for beer. Maybe he thought it was Michelob Ultra.

Nikolai_II
2005-04-18, 02:44 PM
Indeed ... though I've never personally mistaken sea water for beer. Maybe he thought it was Michelob Ultra.

In Thors defence I'll have to mention that Utgårdaloke was a master illusionist, amongs other things disguising the world serpent as a cat, a fire as a man, his mind as a boy and age/death as an old crone. So adding a bit of flavor to seawater would be within his powers, even though they were tried to the limit in that instance, what with Thors thirst and all *:P

edit: But the Michelob Ultra mention was probably a worthy joke on its own.. living in europe I have managed to avoid "love in a canoe"-type beers, and will keep doing so until I die, hopefully ;)

The_King_of_Durf
2005-04-18, 04:23 PM
Does anyone know what it says on the tankard of beer, it looks like there's some writing on the side, can anyone make that out?

Zherog
2005-04-18, 04:34 PM
Do you mean the "WWTD" at the bottom, which was mentioned in this thread already?

RBPRX1204
2005-04-18, 04:39 PM
WWTD?, which stands for, all together now, What Would Thor Do?

Edit: Dangit, it took to long to get it posted, sorry.

The_King_of_Durf
2005-04-18, 04:48 PM
Oops sorry, in a rush, I'm supposed to go shopping :-[ :-[

Mr._Blinky
2005-04-18, 05:04 PM
rotfl ;D, that was great! The guarding against the trees was wonderful, as was the tankard of beer.

I get the feeling though that Durkon is gonna meet a treant soon.

Treant: Hello, I am Treebeard and-
Durkon: AHHHHHHHHH!, a talking tree! Thor's lightning!
Treant: *CRACK!*

Sneak
2005-04-18, 05:14 PM
If Durkon actually filled that up and drank the whole thing, well, let's just say he wouldn't be sober anymore.

I like how he ordered the bandits to guard against the trees, just like people were predicting.

The_King_of_Durf
2005-04-18, 05:50 PM
Of course he'd still be sober, he's a dwarf!

Zod
2005-04-18, 06:07 PM
Sober ot not, Durkon is crazy. heh, treants, that sounds like its going to happen.

Grey Watcher
2005-04-18, 06:13 PM
Of course he'd still be sober, he's a dwarf!

Meh, I'd imagine drinking a volume of beer greater than the volume of your own body would render even a Dwarf mildly intoxicated.

Nerd-o-rama
2005-04-18, 08:20 PM
Meh, I'd imagine drinking a volume of beer greater than the volume of your own body would render even a Dwarf mildly intoxicated.
[Drunk Shcot]Liesh an' schlalalander! Dwarfsh ish tha' besh'.[/Drunk Shcot]

The_King_of_Durf
2005-04-18, 09:00 PM
Oh yes, that reminds me of something that really really really got me angry. In the extended LOTR Legolas actually beats Gimli at a drinking contest, they make him seem so good at everything and they make Gimli just as boring as Merry or Pippin, Peter Jackson has betrayed me, I'm furious! >:( >:( >:(

Grey Watcher
2005-04-18, 09:08 PM
Oh yes, that reminds me of something that really really really got me angry. In the extended LOTR Legolas actually beats Gimli at a drinking contest, they make him seem so good at everything and they make Gimli just as boring as Merry or Pippin, Peter Jackson has betrayed me, I'm furious! >:( >:( >:(

Well, remember, Tolkein's Middle Earth is not written to DnD stats. Tolkeinian Elves are a different kind of being than the Elves in the PHB. Neither is correct or incorrect, they're just two different adaptations of creatures out of ancient legend. The drinking contest is actually consistent with Tolkein's description of Elves, since they're somewhat... otherwordly.

Sundog
2005-04-19, 03:15 AM
Well, the High elves are, like Legolas. The forest elves in The Hobbit are decidedly worldly.

Drandom
2005-04-19, 03:32 AM
Actually, Legolas is a wood elf. Prince of Mirkwood.

Sundog
2005-04-19, 07:41 AM
So he is, I'd forgotten that. But it does show how Tolkien changed things between the two books.

ObadiahtheSlim
2005-04-19, 03:16 PM
No, he acts the part of a wood elf. He is very distrustfull of gimli because of the incedent their fathers had in the hobbit.

Pharazon
2005-04-19, 04:23 PM
Actually, Legolas was of Sindarin ancestry. The Sindar weren't High Elves, but they lived in the woods of Doriath, and were ruled by Melian, a Maia (a holy spirit of lesser order than the Gods, but still divine) and Thingol, a Sindar who had seen the Light of Valinor, so he was also numbered among the High Elves. Sindar were above the other Wood-Elves just as much as the High Elves were above the Sindar. In the second age, some Sindar went East, and ruled the Silvan Elves (real Wood-Elves) as kings. Oropher, Legolas' grand-father, was one of these. Note, though, this still made Legolas about three-quarters Wood Elf... but even they were still Elves, and therefore more in control of their body, and had more resistance to disease, poison, and probably alcohol, than Humans, and probably more than Dwarves as well. So PJ could be quite accurate, although the Dwarves' resistance was quite high as well. So it will not have made that much of a difference.

But the scene wasn't in the book, so we'll never know...

Enough about Tolkien-Elves.

Love the comic... giant mug of beer, bandits guarding against the trees... and the (somewhat) hypocritical modesty of Durkon.

Edit: the hostility between Elves and Dwarves goes way further back than the events in the Hobbit. It was actually the Dwarves who caused, by their greed, the destruction of Doriath and the death of Thingol. Going even further back, the real origin would lie even before the awakening of the Elves, because the Dwarves were created not by the All-father (who created Elves and Men as well), but by a 'servant' of his, Aule. That's why they were destined to be at conflict.

garand
2005-04-19, 06:06 PM
Pharazon .... that post was a sure sign that 1) You have an amazing knowledge of the Myth of Middle-Earth and 2) you have waaaaaaaaaaay too much time on your hands.

:)

Though I should point out that I was a little miffed of the converting Legolas and Gimli into the LOTR equiv of C-3PO and R2-D2 (ie. mildly important to the plot but mostly just comic relief). Thank heavens they didn't turn them into the equivalent of Jar-Jar (ie. useless to the plot and a failed attempt at comic relief).

And BTW, my last post was entirely a jab at Michelob Ultra and not the illusionist abilities of any Norse Giants.

Drizzt_Fanboy_74
2005-04-19, 08:22 PM
AIEEE!! My beloved OotS!! Gone!!

Fanatic-Templar
2005-04-19, 08:56 PM
On the subject of LotR, Legolas and Gimli never really were that important characters. I think their sole purpose was to show that all races were involved in the War of the Ring, and to set Middle-Earth's ambiance into the books ( like when Gimli talks about Khazad-Dum or Aglarond, and the whole Legolas-gulls interaction ).

I'm much more frustrated by Peter Jackson's wanton tearing apart of Denethor, Faramir and Peregrïn. I loved those characters in the books, but they're all pathetic in the movies.

The_King_of_Durf
2005-04-19, 09:17 PM
Yeah I really didn't like how he portrayed Denethor.
Denethore, in the books, was actually a nice guy at points, the books showed how people were changed by the One Ring. Denethor in the movie was a constantly dark and evil character, he barely had a good moment, the book was better at showing him for who he truly was.

Zherog
2005-04-19, 09:17 PM
AIEEE!! My beloved OotS!! Gone!!

???

Lilly
2005-04-19, 09:24 PM
I think I get it, maybe, possibly I have it. We need more OotS discussion and less LOTR.

"We need 5cc's of oots STAT!! He's gone in LOTR shock! I don't know if he'll make it. All we can do is pray."

Frojoe21
2005-04-19, 09:31 PM
Because Tolkein based LOtr and the hobbit off of norse mythology, wouln't it be interesting if he used the dark elves. They were in norse mythology as well, and were subterranian like the drow.

On another note, when I saw the giant tankard of beer, my first reaction was "Heyyoooooooooo". What was yours?(Just to get back to OOTs)

Drandom
2005-04-19, 09:52 PM
I think Tolkien did have some kind of dark elf... I'm not too familiar with all the vagaries of Tolkien elves. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable (Pharazon?) can answer that.

Back to OotS, right. I loved the tankard of beer. Made me think 'Wow... alcoholic'.

Ohtar_Turinson
2005-04-19, 09:56 PM
I think Tolkien did have some kind of dark elf... I'm not too familiar with all the vagaries of Tolkien elves.

There's an elf called a "Dark Elf" in the Silmarillion, but he doesn't live underground, but rather alone in a dark forest. His son was responsible for the destruction of Gondolin, the Hidden City (A location anyone who read the Hobbit might be familiar with- source of Orcrist and Glamdring).

On another, more relevant note: I like the sandwich maker. These are some truly prepared bandits.

Lilly
2005-04-19, 09:57 PM
Because Tolkein based LOtr and the hobbit off of norse mythology, wouln't it be interesting if he used the dark elves. They were in norse mythology as well, and were subterranian like the drow.

On another note, when I saw the giant tankard of beer, my first reaction was "Heyyoooooooooo". What was yours?(Just to get back to OOTs)

Well I first thought, "Oh the hiprocracy!" and laughed my butt off. But then I realized I was in the semi-crowed library and people are looking at me kinda funny. Also "Where'd he get the gold to make that? How long will it be before that ends up with Haley."

Kish
2005-04-19, 10:50 PM
Though I should point out that I was a little miffed of the converting Legolas and Gimli into the LOTR equiv of C-3PO and R2-D2 (ie. mildly important to the plot but mostly just comic relief). Thank heavens they didn't turn them into the equivalent of Jar-Jar (ie. useless to the plot and a failed attempt at comic relief).
You forgot, "and responsible for the rise of Sauron."

deathregis
2005-04-19, 10:53 PM
The orcs are twisted perverted versions of elves, so they could be a version of the dark elves.

Knight13
2005-04-19, 11:03 PM
Back to OotS, right. I loved the tankard of beer. Made me think 'Wow... alcoholic'.
Not so much alcoholic as Dwarf. Drinking is a third of what Dwarves are about. The other two things are mining and smithing.

Frojoe21
2005-04-19, 11:11 PM
Nah, the orcs were the ettins and giants.

Schattendrache
2005-04-19, 11:48 PM
Not so much alcoholic as Dwarf. Drinking is a third of what Dwarves are about. The other two things are mining and smithing.

You forgot the complaining. The chronic, endless complaining....

Nikolai_II
2005-04-20, 02:17 AM
I'm much more frustrated by Peter Jackson's wanton tearing apart of Denethor, Faramir and Peregrïn. I loved those characters in the books, but they're all pathetic in the movies.

I have only seen the first and half the second movie so far, but I was sad to see PJs take on the Grima/Theoden incident.

In the book Theoden is feeling old and sad, a feeling that is strengthened by Grima's selective tilt to all news that he recieves and the stuffy atmosphere of his home.
Then Gandalf comes, silences Grima for a while and shows Theoden that age might be all in the mind.

Cue the movie..and suddenly Gandalf has some kind of mind-meld duel with Saruman.. what need for Grima at all if you could remote-direct Theoden in the first place?

No Comic for today yet.. I'll just comment that Elan and I have differing tastes in sadwiches.. tuna salad is IMHO wet and boring (not to mention the tuna would be quite suspicious in the middle of a deep forest in a time without refrigerators or freezers)

Lilly
2005-04-20, 02:36 AM
But tuna is very good tiger bait. ;)

And with enough mayo and salt, and possibly pickle the stuff is edible.

Lilly
2005-04-20, 03:02 AM
OMG. That is sooooooo funny. You've just described every single family vacation I've been on since my sister figured out how to scream.

Giant: You deserve a cookie.

One cookie for the Giant! (http://wiki.coolmon.org/files/cookie.jpg)

I'm not bothering to edit this into the previous post due to extreame laziness and a fried term paper brain.

Nerd-o-rama
2005-04-20, 03:04 AM
And Mr. Burlew once again shows us his deep undertanding of familial relations. It's like those people who come up with reality shows: who would you least like to be alone in the wilderness with?

Belkar's still the most evil though. Why is it whenever attractive female NPCs come up in D&D there's almost always talk of slavery. I guess some players (or characters in Belkar's case) just have issues...

Kish
2005-04-20, 03:14 AM
Hm. If Nale finds the bound pair, Samantha may not be the only one who joins the Linear Guild. A dual-wielder who is used to being less evil than those he follows...yes, he'd qualify as Belkar's mirror.

Lilly
2005-04-20, 03:18 AM
Hm. If Nale finds the bound pair, Samantha may not be the only one who joins the Linear Guild. A dual-wielder who is used to being less evil than those he follows...yes, he'd qualify as Belkar's mirror.

He's also taller!

Drandom
2005-04-20, 03:55 AM
Ah, the troubles of family. Great stuff.

Circon
2005-04-20, 04:35 AM
Nah, the orcs were the ettins and giants.Hm? Orcs were twisted versions of Elves. Trolls were created in mockery of Ents.
*wanders off*

Nikolai_II
2005-04-20, 04:42 AM
I thought that todays strip said pretty much about Belkars family and relatives, especially when coupled with the earlier Aunt Judy comment.

(I have no personal tradition of suffering during family holidays - I whine a bit beforehand but I usually enjoy myself during them)

Frojoe21
2005-04-20, 06:41 AM
FOr the past 8 years of my life, the majority of all family vacations for me involved sitting in a cramped ford windstar, having my sister hurl in the car, and me having terrible back and leg pains. Kudos to you Rich. I think I will go destroy the family ford now.

Mweheheehehehehehehehe

GobalinKing
2005-04-20, 07:32 AM
"Your approval fills me with shame."

That's a great line, I think. That's one for the quotebooks. (pulls out a notebook labeled "QUOTEBOOK" and writes it down)

Caelestion
2005-04-20, 07:40 AM
Tolkien's Dark Elves were all those Elves that did not return to the Blessed Lands after the destruction of the Trees of Yavanna. By remaining in the twilit darkness of Middle-Earth, they became the Dark Elves.

Back on topic, I loved Roy's comment, "Your approval fills me with shame." Plus more proof that Belkar is actually evil :)

Cael.

Lastarion
2005-04-20, 09:07 AM
I never heard or read about beings such as drows in Tolkien's works.
Dark Elves don't live underground. Perhaps the most similar are the orcs, as Circon wrote.

Kirbykid
2005-04-20, 09:10 AM
yeah, we're gonna see those two again. hey wait, isn't the L.G. looking for a new magic person to replace the dark elf? sam has pretty powerful magic....

Janitor
2005-04-20, 09:10 AM
Great comic, I'm glad to hear from Belkar after so long, always the insightful one.

Priceless_Ming
2005-04-20, 10:56 AM
Another great installment and another great line:

"So close"

This may sound stupid but isn't Sindar Elvish for Stunted People? I mean it may not be, it's just I'm cranking through the Silmarillion now and I thought the Sindar were the Dwarves. It wouldn't surprise me mcuh since I get the wrong impression about a lot of things when I crank thorugh Tolkien's stuff.

There are plenty of Dark Elves, but they're more Warcrafty, they live under the impenetrable canopies of the older woods.

Another line I missed earlier is the name of where they are:

The Wooden Forest! That's unbearably awesome.

Grey Watcher
2005-04-20, 11:55 AM
Tolkien's Dark Elves were all those Elves that did not return to the Blessed Lands after the destruction of the Trees of Yavanna. By remaining in the twilit darkness of Middle-Earth, they became the Dark Elves.

Ummm, I thought that the Dark Elves were Elves that had never BEEN to the Undying Lands in the first place.

But yeah, this comic was great. I loved that Belkar actually agreed with Roy here. :-)

LadyGlutter
2005-04-20, 01:10 PM
Argh! I'm off to start a topic in Friendly Banter about Tolkien races! Take it over there!
:D

As far as today's strip: great set up for a recurring villain or even future ally group. It all depends on if they work out their differences or not.

ObadiahtheSlim
2005-04-20, 01:30 PM
Another great comic. Hurray for family values!

JD
2005-04-20, 01:44 PM
OotS: "Your approval shames me" it lit up my biology class (hey, I'm 'working' on an assignment!)

LotR: I don't mind Peter Jackson taking artistical freedom... BUT he left out the two most important scenes in the whole friggin' trilogy; I thought they might show up in the expanded version but they didn't. If you didn't notice neither our friend Tom Bombadil is there (or his wife Goldberry), and when the hobbits return to the Shire; where is Sauroman? Where is the locked-up hobbits? Where is Merry and Pippin finally becoming more than R2-D2 and C-3PO? Where is the future that Frodo saw in the mirror in Lothlorien? Gone....

Caelestion
2005-04-20, 01:59 PM
Well what Frodo saw in Galadriel's mirror was thus only a possible future, which is not so big a change. Tom Bombadil is a pointless character, who detracts from the plot with unassociated poetry, and his only contribution (giving Frodo the dagger) was easily solved by Frodo simply finding the dagger.

As for Durkon, "Dendrophobics of the world, branch out!"

The Giant
2005-04-20, 02:05 PM
The Voice of Mod: Seriously, people, drop the Tolkien discussion and bring it to another thread. No more talk of Tolkien or the movies on this thread, please, it's long enough as it is.

garand
2005-04-20, 02:50 PM
Uh huh huh huh ... he said its "long". Uh uh huh huh huh.

Toilet humor aside ... another great comic.

I'm still waiting for the Druids to show up.

Sundog
2005-04-20, 03:00 PM
Oh, they'll be around, probably worshipping the starmetal rock or something...

I just can't get past Haley's triple take on the slavery issue, and Roy's guarding the moral authority of the group, standing there, arms crossed... ;D

The_Shadow
2005-04-20, 03:32 PM

Excellent thought, Kish! Plus, dear ol' Dad may be having some second thoughts regarding alignment after all this...

A_petrock
2005-04-20, 08:24 PM
i like the dynamic bel, and roy have.. i almost think that belkar is saying things to toy with roy on purpose.. the history of the characters and how they use what they know of one another to attempt to manipulate or trick them..

and yes.. bel has to be evil.. killing defenseless goblins (tho cutting their legs off is more of a torture) but i think its like that one person in a D&D group.. who wants to be a halfling rogue/assassin all the time.. but with a good deal more roleplaying.

i should make my D&D buddies read this.. expecially chris..

love the "shame" line..

Mr._Blinky
2005-04-20, 11:01 PM
"Your approval fills me with shame."

Best. Line. Ever. ;D

I agree though that the bandit leader would make a good mirror of Belkar if he joined the Linear Guild. If those two team up with the LG, they'll just need to find a replacement cleric to go up against Durkon.

RebelRogue
2005-04-21, 06:20 AM
If those two team up with the LG, they'll just need to find a replacement cleric to go up against Durkon.
I have a feeling we haven't seen the last of Helgya! Chances are she'll be back more evil than ever embittered by Durkon's rejection.

SumGuy
2005-04-21, 02:11 PM
Re: Dual weilder in the LG

Although the Bandit Dad would make a good mirror of Belkar, lets not forget about the mysterious cloaked figure in Comic #120. He/she/it carries 2 swords as well ;)

garand
2005-04-21, 05:45 PM
So ... uhm .... since when do the members of the Linear Guild HAVE to be mirrors of the Order o'da Stick?

Or .. for that matter ... since when do they HAVE to be equivalents of any of the former members?

Just curious.

*stirs the pot and takes off running*

Starbuck_II
2005-04-21, 06:13 PM
So ... uhm .... since when do the members of the Linear Guild HAVE to be mirrors of the Order o'da Stick?

Or .. for that matter ... since when do they HAVE to be equivalents of any of the former members?

Just curious.

*stirs the pot and takes off running*
Shh, your using common sense. Don't want to waste that, there is a limit in here ;D

I think Samantha would be a great team member for the Linear Guild. Next time she would be prepared.

The_King_of_Durf
2005-04-21, 06:36 PM
She was pretty well prepared before I thought. She was prepared enough to beat the OOTS anyway. She was prepared for everything except her dad.

But the next time Durkon will be able to help too

garand
2005-04-21, 07:40 PM
Shh, your using common sense. Don't want to waste that, there is a limit in here ;D

I think Samantha would be a great team member for the Linear Guild. Next time she would be prepared.

Hehehehh .... true ... anyhow, I agree that Sam would be a great addition to the LG ... perhaps even a threat to Nale's leadership (dueling Charismas anyone?).

Though before she does that she definately needs to do something about her hair.

I mean seriously.

Buy a brush.

Or just a comb, a comb would do.

Hell, there's probably even a grooming cantrip out there.

It probably has a name like "Groom" or "Get Yo Hair Did"

Seriously.

;)

Grey Watcher
2005-04-21, 08:19 PM
Well, part of the argument for equivalents is because the Linear Guild is currently missing a few key skill sets: arcane caster, divine caster, and most parties employ to warrior-types.

The_King_of_Durf
2005-04-21, 08:54 PM
I don't think we've seen the last of Hilgya either but I doubt she will join up with the Linear Guild again, she might go alone against Durkon or get her own party, I think she might show up in some unexpected plot twist or something

Mr._Blinky
2005-04-21, 10:43 PM
Well, if Samantha and her dad (do we even know his name?) join up with the LG, the Order is in for some trouble. Considering how well just the two of them id against the Order, they would be truly deadly if they had the LG as allies. I don't think V would do terribly well going against Sam by herself, since I think Sam is several levels higher. But the Stickers'll have the tree-hater helping next time.

Schattendrache
2005-04-22, 12:30 AM
That as it may be, I'd still pay very good money to see V face off with Sam, employing Evan's Spiked Tentacles of Forced Intrusion....

;D

Gez
2005-04-22, 01:45 AM
I think she might show up in some unexpected plot twist or something

Now that you've said that, the Giant will have to use her in an expected plot twist! Are you happy? >:(

;)

ekedolphin
2005-04-22, 04:41 AM
Hee, great new comic! As usual, Roy gets the best line in the strip... but in this instance, he gets two.

Elan: "Roy, can I ask you a serious question?"
Roy: "Oh, this ought to be good."

and...

Elan: "I'm going to write a new 'Best Friends' song just for us, Roy!"
Roy: "Should I speed the process to its logical conclusion and poke out my own eardrums now?"
Elan: "Ha, ha, you're such a kidder, Roy."
Roy: "I'm really not, you know."

Roy's just... brilliant. Hee, I love his dry, sarcastic wit.

Sc00by
2005-04-22, 04:48 AM
I love the 'look' V gives Haley..

Classic stuff - the Comic has definitely improved (not that it wasn't good before I must add) of late.

Kingrat
2005-04-22, 05:29 AM
When I first found out about this comic strip, I thought, well this should be fun, a funny D&D comic. A couple of months later, I check this website every,single day...and a few times a day as well!

Its like you read this comic, and it cast a "Hooked" spell on you.

I agree, this comic has definitely improved for the better. Where it previously used the plot to move things around, now its focusing on character development. Excellent stuff. Roy does indeed have the best lines ever.

I am still laughing at how he delivered the line: "Your approval fills me with shame" in the last comic.

Nikolai_II
2005-04-22, 05:49 AM
I like the 'Happy V' look :)

Circon
2005-04-22, 06:42 AM
"If you want to live to see your next Age Category..."
Nope, no 4th wall breach here, just knowledge of how the world works :P

Wanderer
2005-04-22, 08:05 AM
I LOVE V and Haley at the end. Sorry, no great insights on the strip... at least not yet. This is just good stuff. :)

Ricky
2005-04-22, 09:08 AM
"What??"

"I said nothing."

ROFL

Peldor
2005-04-22, 09:44 AM
I don't think we've seen the last of Hilgya either but I doubt she will join up with the Linear Guild again, she might go alone against Durkon or get her own party, I think she might show up in some unexpected plot twist or something

Two words: Durkon Jr.

RBPRX1204
2005-04-22, 09:57 AM
Great comic. Keeping Elan in the dark was great. And V's look at the end was, in a word, priceless. V and Hally get an extra 200xp for roleplaying.

Nerd-o-rama
2005-04-22, 10:22 AM
Aww...

Haley using her Bluff powers for Good is always a fun thing. I always like to see her going out of her way for something not obviously profitable.

Anyway, now that the bandit part of the sidequest seems to have wrapped up, I kinda hope we get another cutaway to the Linear Guild next week. If not I'll be fine, I just miss the eeeeeeevilness. Also, "party auditions" are universally funny, if Rich decides to go that way.

Priceless_Ming
2005-04-22, 10:43 AM
Well, I guess that completely resolves that little diversion.

Roy and Elan make such a great team. Great stuff as always.

Janitor
2005-04-22, 11:42 AM
V was great, but I really liked the Age Category joke. I thought the whole idea of Haley coming to Roy's aid was great.

Sundog
2005-04-22, 11:55 AM
I wonder if this means Elan is out of the doghouse with Haley..?

Nah. She's just waiting for him to work out why she's pissed at him before she starts punishing him!

Tharivol
2005-04-22, 12:28 PM
Doesn't that mean that she'll never punish him?

But I don't think this says anything about if Haley has forgiven Elan or not, just that she's forgiven Roy.

lartinger
2005-04-22, 12:59 PM
Or that she doesn't want Elan's feelings to be hurt because Roy didn't want to rescue him.

Santhana
2005-04-22, 02:01 PM
<delurk>

I think Haily has forgiven Elan. It's seems to me as if Elan is the heart of the party. Everyone loves Elan in their own way.

Roy was ashamed to admit is moral struggle because he didn't want to hurt Elans feelings.

Haily didn't want Elan to be hurt either so she jumped in to "fix" the situation.

V is happy to see the outcome and is a bit proud of Haily for jumping in to help.

Everyone loves Elan.

</delurk>

Freeman333
2005-04-22, 02:02 PM
Which raises the question: who, exactly, is Haley protecting? Roy, from the pain of admitting his callousness towards Elan? Elan, from the pain of knowing how Roy was ready to abandon him? Interestingly, she has no reason to feel indebted to either of them (other than, you know, Roy saving her life); she's probably still mad about Elan's tryst with Sam, and Roy kept her from selling Sam into slavery.

I guess she's just a good person or something. Who woulda thunk it.

Gez
2005-04-22, 03:21 PM
Haley is probably chaotic good, the whole team, with the obvious exception of Belkar, is good. Lawful for Roy and Durkon, neutral for Vaarsuvius, and chaotic for Elan and Haley.

Oddly enough, this last comic changed my perception of Vaarsuvius in the eternal gender debate. Before I thought of V. as a he, now as a she.

Dark_Jedi_117
2005-04-22, 06:44 PM
Oddly enough, this last comic changed my perception of Vaarsuvius in the eternal gender debate. Before I thought of V. as a he, now as a she.

How did it do that?

Wanderer
2005-04-23, 01:05 AM
GAH! Enough with the blasted gender debate already! One reason I read this thread and this thread only is to try to AVOID that damned mess!

Sheesh.

Yes yes, I'll go chill out now. No need to shout.

Payne
2005-04-23, 05:36 AM
Or that she doesn't want Elan's feelings to be hurt because Roy didn't want to rescue him.

A good question.

How many here think Haley did this because she wants to help Roy?
Was it to make Elan feel good?
(Is she really quick of wits enough to think it was a "two bird with one stone" solution?)

Personally I think she just up and forgave Elan because..well he's a dimwit (she wouldnt have feelings for him if she didnt like his naivete).

Nikolai_II
2005-04-23, 07:47 AM
Which raises the question: who, exactly, is Haley protecting?

Herself, from being immortalized as the 'maker of bad plans'?

Elan is, after all, the bard and thus the one who gets to retell the tales of their adventures to the rest of the world ;)

garand
2005-04-23, 10:13 AM
Meester Giant, you continue to impress me. Another awesome comic, another long wait through the weekend for the next strip to come out.

Any of you old timers remember back in the day when we only got two comics a week? Shoosh. Those were the days.

Nerd-o-rama
2005-04-23, 01:34 PM
No. No they weren't. 3 > 2.

I vote she was just trying to be nice to both of them, really. Chaotic Good, remember? I mean, she even came up with an RP reason not to split her gold with the party.

Also, is it just me, or did this board get attacked by a serial bumper last night?

Schattendrache
2005-04-23, 03:37 PM
Not just you, and the rampant bumpage continues today....

Sneak
2005-04-23, 04:45 PM
I vote she was just trying to be nice to both of them, really. Chaotic Good, remember? I mean, she even came up with an RP reason not to split her gold with the party.

Actually, it hasn't been proven that she's actually chaotic good. In fact, she's probably more like chaotic treasure obsessed.

garand
2005-04-23, 06:06 PM
I would say she's CN with Good tendancies.

She DID concider, even for just a second, selling another person into slavery. That's not a good act IMHO.

Tharivol
2005-04-23, 06:13 PM

She DID concider, even for just a second, selling another person into slavery. That's not a good act IMHO.
And when a person momentarily considers committing an evil act, that cancels out the previous several minutes of arguing against committing an evil act and all previous instances of putting her life at risk to help her friends/save the world.

EricD
2005-04-23, 08:26 PM
In fairness to Haley, it's not like Sam would stay enslaved very long.

I think Haley is CG, but she just has a less idealistic and more practical idea of 'good'.

Payne
2005-04-23, 08:51 PM
hmm, yeah, I guess that scam is good for Haley too.

Whamme
2005-04-24, 05:11 AM

....except she considered it because she _really_ needs the money. And Sam tried to kill her. And seduce her romantic interest. In short, there's a lot of mitigating factors.

Drandom
2005-04-24, 07:54 AM
And of course, let's not forget the the unholy blight spell in 11. That more or less shows that they're all good except for Belkar.

Sneak
2005-04-24, 08:46 AM
Oh yeah, forgot about that one. So Haley probably is CG. Belkar could be CN or CE or something, but whatever he is, he's definitely chaotic.

Edalmri
2005-04-24, 09:30 AM
Belkar's CE 'cause Unholy Blight didn't do anything to him.

Gralamin
2005-04-24, 11:16 PM
Great comic, just great
"I said nothing"

Frojoe21
2005-04-25, 03:50 AM
Belkar is most definitely NE. He does whatever he can get away with and nothing more. He relishes in killing goblins by severing their knees (Which in my oppinion is a really cool power to have) but he cant kill his teamates cause they'll gang kill him.

Bill
2005-04-25, 08:33 AM
And of course, let's not forget the the unholy blight spell in 11. That more or less shows that they're all good except for Belkar.

Unholy Blight affects neutral characters too, though not as badly:

Unholy Blight
Evocation [Evil]
Level: Evil 4
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Area: 20-ft.-radius spread
Duration: Instantaneous (1d4 rounds); see text
Saving Throw: Will partial
Spell Resistance: Yes
You call up unholy power to smite your enemies. The power takes the form of a cold, cloying miasma of greasy darkness.
Only good and neutral (not evil) creatures are harmed by the spell.
The spell deals 1d8 points of damage per two caster levels (maximum 5d8) to a good creature (or 1d6 per caster level, maximum 10d6, to a good outsider) and causes it to be sickened for 1d4 rounds. A successful Will save reduces damage to half and negates the sickened effect. The effects cannot be negated by remove disease or heal, but remove curse is effective.
The spell deals only half damage to creatures who are neither evil nor good, and they are not sickened. Such a creature can reduce the damage in half again (down to one-quarter) with a successful Will save.

Nikolai_II
2005-04-25, 08:39 AM
Hmm..

I hope Rich hasn't had an accident. :-X

RBPRX1204
2005-04-25, 09:34 AM
I'm sure Rich is busy getting it ready while I type. He's been very busy with all the shipping and stuff going on, you know.

Lord_Jadawin
2005-04-25, 11:19 AM
I have a stupid question- what edition of the rules made it possible to have evil rangers?(I never really played much after 1st ed. except for PC D&D games) Or is this another Rich house rule?

Grey Watcher
2005-04-25, 12:02 PM
I have a stupid question- what edition of the rules made it possible to have evil rangers?(I never really played much after 1st ed. except for PC D&D games) Or is this another Rich house rule?

3.0 abnd 3.5. Don't thik of all Rangers as being Aragorn and his buddies. Instead, I think of Ranger levels as just meaning your character has skill and experience as a hunter, tracker, woodsman, or other wilderness oriented skills. There's a lot of things that became more customizable in 3.0. Druids can now be of any partially Neutral alignment and Rogues can (theorhetically) suck at opening locks.

Zherog
2005-04-25, 12:02 PM
I don't recall if 2.0 removed the restriction, but 3.0 most certainly did.

Lord_Jadawin
2005-04-25, 12:11 PM
3.0 abnd 3.5. Don't thik of all Rangers as being Aragorn and his buddies. Instead, I think of Ranger levels as just meaning your character has skill and experience as a hunter, tracker, woodsman, or other wilderness oriented skills. There's a lot of things that became more customizable in 3.0. Druids can now be of any partially Neutral alignment and Rogues can (theorhetically) suck at opening locks.

That makes sense- it was always a bit weak that only a good-aligned character would have wilderness skills, and also placed a big chasm between druids and rangers, two classes that should have had a lot in common. I wish I had the time to find a 3 or 3.5 group.

Dav
2005-04-25, 12:51 PM
The spell deals only half damage to creatures who are neither evil nor good, and they are not sickened. Such a creature can reduce the damage in half again (down to one-quarter) with a successful Will save.
I think you just disproved your own point; weren't all of them except Belkar sickened?

jwolfe
2005-04-25, 12:57 PM
I don't recall if 2.0 removed the restriction, but 3.0 most certainly did.

Rangers must be good in 2nd edition.

Maelstrom
2005-04-25, 02:02 PM
It is Monday, isn't it? Just curious that no one has yet posted anything about the missing comic for the day... :-/

Nighthawk4
2005-04-25, 02:06 PM
It is Monday, isn't it? Just curious that no one has yet posted anything about the missing comic for the day... :-/

No - not even a filler. I do hope Rich is OK.

Kish
2005-04-25, 02:25 PM
I think it's a bit early to start worrying. If the comic still isn't there in eight hours or so, then we can worry.

Nikolai_II
2005-04-25, 02:28 PM

Me and Uthmah had a short discussion about it on the previous page.

Hmm..

I hope Rich hasn't had an accident. :-X

And the lack of information is worrying me. I'll cross my fingers for a lucky ending. :-/

edit: I mean, fillers are usually forthcoming quickly, but not a whisper is heard, not even a post.
Hopefully he is just stuck at a P.O. mailing the last books or something..

RBPRX1204
2005-04-25, 03:11 PM
Haha, yeeeah, post office, with the last of the books. Right. I think it's going to take a little longer on those book, IMO. Anyway, I saw that Rich was online about an hour ago or so, so he's still alive. He didn't post anything, from what I could tell. Is it my imagination, or do the mods get online less during the day. I saw Baron and Rich on for a little bit, but no one else. Just an observation.

SumGuy
2005-04-25, 03:12 PM
And the lack of information is worrying me. I'll cross my fingers for a lucky ending. Undecided

I wouldnt worry yet...IMO the strips that come late are always the best, even when I look back on them.

edit: I mean, fillers are usually forthcoming quickly, but not a whisper is heard, not even a post.
Hopefully he is just stuck at a P.O. mailing the last books or something..

Hey, if it means I get my book that much faster, I'm all for having the comic being late! Keep on truckin Giant, this whole book fiasco will be resolved soon! ;)

Lastarion
2005-04-25, 04:03 PM
Something is wrong with my computer. I can't see #173 (and that's in common with other people, I see), but also #172 and "banner.jpg" at top of page.
I'm using Firefox, any ideas? ??? ???

Brother_Hood
2005-04-25, 04:07 PM
Is it too soon to go through withdrawals? :D

RBPRX1204
2005-04-25, 04:20 PM
I think there is a topic for Firefox in the Board Issues that might be helpful. I do not use Firefox, but I have friends that swear by it. I just never got use to how it operated, and I could only save pictures in JPG mode, but I needed them in Bitmaps for wallpaper, which was irritating.

On the subject of withdraw, well, it all depends on whether it's physical withdraw, or physical, and what the half-life of the drug, in this case, OOTS, which I'd guess at about 4 to 5 days. Since the last strip was 3 days ago, it is possible.

Circon
2005-04-25, 04:52 PM
Ok, now I'm curious. Exactly 1 hour remains of Monday where I am. And no word from the Giant. What's up?

Priceless_Ming
2005-04-25, 04:59 PM
I do hope Rich isn't trapped under something heavy. He doesn't have his really fast walking horse pic up...

"Fret, fret, fret, fret like level one Kobold Sorceror!"

Sneak
2005-04-25, 05:23 PM
Like people said, not even a filler! Usually it's up by morning. Hmmm... :-/ :-/ :-/

Porter
2005-04-25, 05:38 PM
Not even a message from any of the other mods to let us know whats up.

Maelstrom
2005-04-25, 05:41 PM
:checks to make sure east coast is still there: :o

Brother_Hood
2005-04-25, 05:49 PM
On the subject of withdraw, well, it all depends on whether it's physical withdraw, or physical, and what the half-life of the drug, in this case, OOTS, which I'd guess at about 4 to 5 days. Since the last strip was 3 days ago, it is possible.

I think you've got it there... I'm feeling antsy already. :)

RBPRX1204
2005-04-25, 05:49 PM
Yeah, this is getting a little wierd. It's going on 6pm in New York, and no word from Rich. I haven't even seen him logged on the board since around 2pm EST. Is there anyone out there that is currently in Queens, NY? We need a search party. I think they should meet at the Post Office to start the search. :-/

Edit: I've also noted that there have been few visits by the Mods today. Perhaps everyone is in some big meeting or something.

Ricky
2005-04-25, 06:03 PM
I hope Rich is ok... ???

Sneak
2005-04-25, 06:10 PM
I doubt they're at a meeting, as I'm sure they would've mentioned it. And I also doubt anything happened to Rich, as someone would know and be able to inform us probably. Plus Uthmah said that he saw Rich on at about 2:00 PM. But this is still kinda weird...

WampaX
2005-04-25, 06:17 PM
Rich is fine.
The mods have not been in closed session, as, well, most of us have jobs outside of being Moderators.

There . . . now you know almost as much as I do. ;)

Zod
2005-04-25, 06:21 PM
Hmmmm... almost 6:30 my time, and still no comic! I wonder whats going down...

Nighthawk4
2005-04-25, 06:28 PM
Almost Midnight here - I do hope Rich is OK.

Wonder what is up? ???

Maybe he is busy packing and posting books :D

Wren
2005-04-25, 06:32 PM
Fighting crime by night, writing comics by day. Sometimes one overlaps the other.

Sneak
2005-04-25, 06:33 PM
Rich is fine.
The mods have not been in closed session, as, well, most of us have jobs outside of being Moderators.

There . . . now you know almost as much as I do. ;)

Like WampaX said, Rich is fine.

I guess he could be sending books, but usually the comic is up by morning, and he wouldn't be packing books for that long, and since I think he quit his day job then I don't know what else could be doing.

But it's okay, I'll still be happy if it comes later today or tomorrow. If it came tomorrow, it'd give me something to look forward to :)

RBPRX1204
2005-04-25, 06:35 PM
Well, I do feel better hearing that Rich is okay from a Moderator. BTW, between users and guest, we have 124 people on the board. That's pretty good.

Frojoe21
2005-04-25, 06:36 PM
Maybe he sprained his wrist or something like that. That can stop anyone from doing pretty much anything involving a wrist. Or maybe he's just taking a mental health day. I sure wish I could take a few of those nowadays.

flippedwm689
2005-04-25, 06:38 PM
interesting... well... hope everythings good.

Sneak
2005-04-25, 06:52 PM
I bet he would've told us if he was taking a mental health day.

Maybe he just didn't post the comic because he wanted to see how much people would freak out if the comic didn't show up ;D. From his point of view, that might be pretty hilarious.

Maelstrom
2005-04-25, 06:54 PM
yeah...har dee har har...

Way out of character....moving towards ......CHAOTIC :)

The Giant
2005-04-25, 07:13 PM
Yeah, I'm not dead yet.

I had a wedding to attend in western Pennsylvania on Sunday, and the trip back was longer than I expected. I swear, the United States is wider travelling west to east than east to west. Anyway, in the early afternoon, I got home, checked that the site hadn't exploded, and went to bed. I hadn't been asleep since Sunday morning, after all.

I'm working on the strip now, so it should be up within two hours.

Frojoe21
2005-04-25, 07:33 PM
All hail. The giant is indestructable, to the best of my knowledge.

Good to have you back. Mazel tov on the friend's/family/6 degree of separation aquatance wedding.

Drizzt_Fanboy_74
2005-04-25, 07:50 PM
Yeah, I'm not dead yet.

I had a wedding to attend in western Pennsylvania on Sunday, and the trip back was longer than I expected. I swear, the United States is wider travelling west to east than east to west. Anyway, in the early afternoon, I got home, checked that the site hadn't exploded, and went to bed. I hadn't been asleep since Sunday morning, after all.

I'm working on the strip now, so it should be up within two hours.

Ah. Well, there you go. The Pennsylvania turnpike does have that effect on people. The lucky ones....

cerebus151
2005-04-25, 07:59 PM
I've always found that it's faster to travel north to south than south to north, so I know how you feel. But maybe that's just the southern boy in me talkin.'

Glad to hear y'all are alright, Giant.

SumGuy
2005-04-25, 08:15 PM
I've always found that it's faster to travel north to south than south to north, so I know how you feel. But maybe that's just the southern boy in me talkin.'

Glad to hear y'all are alright, Giant.

I find that going farther South is faster...its like you're being welcomed home or something :D

Or maybe its just because the farther to South you go, the higher the speed limits get...

oh, and ditto on the welcome back Rich

Frojoe21
It really all depens on the traffic, sometimes it makes the trip seem hours longer or minutes shorter.

StarWarz2
Ah. Well, there you go. The Pennsylvania turnpike does have that effect on people. The lucky ones...

Ah, is that what does it? I really could've sworn that it was being locked in a mini-van w/ four kids under the age of 10 for 7 hours straight ... and the batteries on the portable DVD player died at hour 3... :-[

:)

GypsyThorn
2005-04-25, 08:38 PM
Yeah, I'm not dead yet.
I had a wedding to attend in western Pennsylvania on Sunday, .....

(the following is the result of too much time on one's hands whilst waiting for the strip to appear)

Okay, so Rich claims he was in Western Pennsylvania for a wedding. Right. A wedding. Let's see, what else might he be in Western Pennsylvania.

My first guess would be to do research on the composition of the meteorite OOTS is seeking. What better place to do so than, let's say, Pittsburgh, home of the Steelers, or perhaps Altoona, which sounds like it should have something to do with metal. OOTS will surely find what they're looking for in Rocky Grove.

Or perhaps he's planning an assault on the New Castle. Better stop at Smithfield and pick up a new sword. If he does that, he might need some Wampum. Unless he goes to Freeport instead.

I know! He's researching the mysterious yet undoubtably viscious Monongahela! Must be very Brave to do that! You'll Rew the day! Maybe a drink first in Meadville would help.

Or perhaps it's Durkon who is the reason for the trip! What better way to instigate an arboreal assault than a visit to Beaver Falls! (Or its neighbor to the south, East Beaver?) Oakmont is just Stoneboro's throw away as well! Of course for Durkon, any town is Millerstown.

Or are we visiting West Middlesex in an effort solve the riddle of V?

In any case, Rich, I'm glad you're not feeling Sewickley.

Enough from me. Back to waiting for the strip.

Added: (Source - Reader's Digest Great World Atlas, 1963)

Lord_Jadawin
2005-04-25, 08:48 PM
Glad you had a safe (albeit painfully slow) trip home.

The Giant
2005-04-25, 09:28 PM
OK, the new strip is up.

Frojoe21
2005-04-25, 09:31 PM
Oh jeez, thats great. I wish that I could do that anytime I lost a ticket. Like on the bus. Man thats smarts. It was so worth the wait man.

Drizzt_Fanboy_74
I just read it for the second consecutive time. Dont be silly, that would be completely unrealistic. Hee-hee.

BOOM

Xeno
OK, the new strip is up.
Thanks Giant!
Just wanted to say thanks for the hours of entertainment. New to the forums, long time reader. Your time is much appreciated.

Grey Watcher
2005-04-25, 09:33 PM
That was really cool. :-) V really loves Explosive Runes, doesn't he? I love the Half-Orc garage attendants parting line, though. ;D

Wanderer
2005-04-25, 09:34 PM
*snicker* The reappearance of explosive runes! Beautiful.

Unfortunately, my DM loves doing bad things to our horses when we forget that they don't just disappear when we don't need them. I seem to recall trolls stealing some of them, once...

Starla
2005-04-25, 09:41 PM
What is the ratio of gold to silver?
1 gp to 5 sp?

Gralamin
2005-04-25, 09:41 PM
Edit: ^ 10cp = 1sp, 10 sp=1gp, 10gp=1pp so 100cp=1gp, 1000cp=1pp, 100sp=1pp etc.

lol thats funny

Explosive Runes > Tickets

Never Argue with Wizards!

Janitor
2005-04-25, 09:42 PM
That comic was awesome. The explosive runes were awesome again, and I liked Haley's damaged horse. I was surprised there wasn't an Indiana Jones joke in there.

RBPRX1204
2005-04-25, 09:42 PM
That was worth the wait. There are not enough good V moments. Thank, Rich.

Starla
2005-04-25, 09:48 PM
10 sp to 1 gp.

Thanks. I just re-read the sign. I thought it said 6 silver per day, but it says per hour. Now the early bird special makes more sense. So 40 sp for dawn to dusk instead of about 60. Darn, I was thinking at first there was a joke in the sign since a half orc was in charge...still really good comic. I liked the explosive runes.

Lilly
2005-04-25, 09:52 PM
That was well worth the wait.

V is my parking ticket hero!

Frito_Butterbuns
2005-04-25, 10:01 PM
Its funny because its true.

Nerd-o-rama
2005-04-25, 10:40 PM
I think explosive runes is my new favorite spell...seriously, next time I play an Urban Arcan game, I'm going to be a Mage just so I can do that on the subway...

"Sir or Madam." Heh.

Arian
2005-04-25, 11:07 PM
The sign says the management "is not not responsible". Which means it IS responsible. Just a typo? Or is the management hoping everyone will misread the sign? :)

garand
2005-04-26, 12:01 AM
Probably a typo ... I'm blaming the lack of sleep. I'm sure El Senor Giant will fix it.

Funny stuff by the way .... and I'm almost willing to bet Rich has had some problem with Valet's or some sort of parking attendant.

Now they PAY!

I know that's why I became an artist/actor/writer .... revenge in the world of make-believe.

Shatteredtower
2005-04-26, 12:06 AM
Well worth the wait. Nice touch on not solving the gender debate in the last panel, by the way -- it's like V wants to keep people guessing. :P

However, my favourite line was:

"But I can see my horse from here!"

Thanks for a nice nod to the "classics", Giant. ;)

Priceless_Ming
2005-04-26, 12:33 AM
If that wasn't worth the wait, nothing is. ;)

It's great all around, continuity, "realism" gags (oddly enough I actually worried about those damnable equines, still curious about the dog though, half-orcs getting owned, and modern inconveniences.

Great work Big G, just hope that bookcase you were pinned under survived the fall.

Brother_Hood
2005-04-26, 12:41 AM
That's funny. :)

Jaqrabbit
2005-04-26, 01:13 AM
That's better than comedy gold... More like comedy platinum. I laughed for a good minute straight.

Kaerou
2005-04-26, 01:29 AM
hahaha... thanks! I so needed a good laugh as i have an exam in a few hours ^_^

Awesomes!

ekedolphin
2005-04-26, 01:56 AM
"Your horse, sir or madam." Hee! And the purple-haired, ambiguously-gendered pain in Belkar's ass scores again with the Explosive Runes, brilliant.

I wonder what happened to Whisper to cause that scratch, anyway?

Sundog
2005-04-26, 02:42 AM
Yesss. Two good Vaarsuvius bits in two comics - life is good!

And who says half-Orcs have a low wisdom? This one certainly got the point pretty quick...

Gez
2005-04-26, 02:51 AM
If he had a good Wisdom, he would:
1. Not have made the "not not" typo on his sign. ;)
2. Improvised something for Vaarsuvius like fining him/her a special "Doppelganger compensation" he could give to the real V. (the one with the ticket) in case s/he shows up later and asks for his/her horse.

Kish
2005-04-26, 03:12 AM
2. Improvised something for Vaarsuvius like fining him/her a special "Doppelganger compensation" he could give to the real V. (the one with the ticket) in case s/he shows up later and asks for his/her horse.
I don't think playing games with someone who's already blown you up once would show high Wisdom.

evileeyore
2005-04-26, 04:55 AM
I don't think playing games with someone who's already blown you up once would show high Wisdom.

No see, you fine them the compensatory fee before they blow you up. Then an "explosatory" fee after they blow you up.

bedbugsareyummy
2005-04-26, 07:56 AM
Yes!It's the return of the Explosive Runes!
And quite a good one, too. (Notice how V was called 'sir or madam')

Ricky
2005-04-26, 09:30 AM
That comic is genius. Pure genius.

Rich, I'm glad to see rumors of your death have been greatly exaggerated. :D

xolik
2005-04-26, 09:52 AM
"Sir or Madam."

BUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Darasen
2005-04-26, 10:22 AM
Great Comic. That's good stuf!

mimicgogo
2005-04-26, 12:13 PM
Wizards rock. Q.E.D.

Gez
2005-04-26, 01:04 PM

I mean, that's what would have happened at panel 4.

V.: But you just acknowledged that you remember us being here just yesterday.
Half-Orc: Correction, I remember someone looking exactly like you being here just yesterday. But that someone had a ticket. You don't have that ticket, so either you indeed lost it, or you're an evil doppelganger impersonating her/him. You have to pay a compensation fine in case you're a doppelganger, that way if the real you shows up and asks for the horse, presenting the ticket, I can offer her/him the compensation money. And if you find your ticket back, I will give you back that compensation money, too.

Qwernt
2005-04-26, 02:10 PM
I mean, that's what would have happened at panel 4.

V.: But you just acknowledged that you remember us being here just yesterday.
Half-Orc: Correction, I remember someone looking exactly like you being here just yesterday.... And if you find your ticket back, I will give you back that compensation money, too.
After the obligitory "refund for finding your lost ticket fee".

Nikolai_II
2005-04-26, 02:57 PM
After the obligitory "refund for finding your lost ticket fee".

That surcharge is added to the doppelganger fee I would think ;)

Zod
2005-04-26, 05:17 PM
Haha! Explosive Runes return!

Sneak
2005-04-26, 05:49 PM
Great comic, the explosive runes are always good. I was also kinda surprised that the guy didn't die from the huge explosion, but just appeared scratched and bruised.

Ikkitosen
2005-04-26, 05:56 PM
This gag may fail spectacularly in normal D&D but is a guaranteed success for OoTS - things conspire to be funny in the OoTS world (although are sometimes genuinely disturbing, like the 18-rating that the last panel of OoTS #142 would be worthy of!).

thewaka
2005-04-26, 07:16 PM
"Sir or Madam."

BUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

But then V. responds without using the appropriate pronoun ("A wizard NEVER loses their ticket"), if there even is one! Great stuff!

phlip
2005-04-26, 10:42 PM
But then V. responds without using the appropriate pronoun ("A wizard NEVER loses their ticket"), if there even is one! Great stuff!
Well "A wizard never loses his ticket" would imply all wizards are male.
"This wizard never loses his ticket" would imply V was male, but then "This wizard never loses their ticket" sounds wrong... If you're going to use "them" as a singular non-gender-specific pronoun you still have to treat it as plural.

Anyway, [/pedantism]

I still like "Don't be silly. That would be completely unrealistic."

Arian
2005-04-26, 10:46 PM
[/pedantism]
"pedantry" [/pedantry]

Eloco
2005-04-26, 10:58 PM
linguistics crusader

thewaka
2005-04-26, 11:05 PM
Well "A wizard never loses his ticket" would imply all wizards are male.
"This wizard never loses his ticket" would imply V was male, but then "This wizard never loses their ticket" sounds wrong... If you're going to use "them" as a singular non-gender-specific pronoun you still have to treat it as plural.

Anyway, [/pedantism]

I, a female, would have used the word "her" instead of "their," not implying that wizards are females but instead referring to myself in the third person. All this to say that I believe V. is being deliberately vague. :P

I still like "Don't be silly. That would be completely unrealistic."

Of course. Completely. :)

Brianna_Sollandry
2005-04-26, 11:45 PM
I would have said "wizards never lose their tickets" and been grammatically correct. :)

Aerysil1
2005-04-27, 01:03 AM
I wonder if it crossed Giant's mind for V to say, "A wizard never loses his/her ticket"

SumGuy
2005-04-27, 02:33 AM
I wonder if it crossed Giant's mind for V to say, "A wizard never loses his/her ticket"

Maybe, but the 1/2 orc says "sir or madam".

ekedolphin
2005-04-27, 02:52 AM
OOTS #174:

Heeheeheehee! I love how they tie all those characters together. "Adventurers falling from the sky!" Gortok with his "pamphlet". The animal that Roy flung at the ogre-- "Oooh, they're serving hors d'oeuvres!"

And nice to see the first appearance of the blue-hooded warrior since shortly after Xykon was first defeated. I wonder how the Order's gonna beat this guy, and who he's working for?

Funny, funny comic, great continuity, and it raises a couple of good questions, too.

Gez
2005-04-27, 03:03 AM
"Can I be your familiar? How about as an animal companion? Warhorse?" ;D

PS: They, them and their are grammatically valid, as strange as it sounds, as a gender-neutral third-person singular.

Usage Note: The use of the third-person plural pronoun they to refer to a singular noun or pronoun is attested as early as 1300, and many admired writers have used they, them, themselves, and their to refer to singular nouns such as one, a person, an individual, and each. W.M. Thackeray, for example, wrote in Vanity Fair in 1848, “A person can't help their birth,” and more recent writers such as George Bernard Shaw and Anne Morrow Lindbergh have also used this construction, in sentences such as “To do a person in means to kill them,” and “When you love someone you do not love them all the time.” The practice is widespread and can be found in such mainstream publications as the Christian Science Monitor, Discover, and the Washington Post. The usage is so common in speech that it generally passes unnoticed.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=they (Scroll completely down to the Usage Note paragraph.)

End of hijack. The Mysterious Cloaked Avenger and their (;D) Wisecracking Sidekick are much funnier than grammatical debates.

Gez
2005-04-27, 03:15 AM
Just noticed another example of how much Rich loves to obfuscate debates!

"And then, he flung me right into the open mouth of the troll or ogre or whatever the heck it really was."

Thus not closing the Ogre/Troll debate (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?action=display;board=comics;num=1104599534 ;start=330#330).

I think he just can't help it.

Or can he? ;D

GeeVee
2005-04-27, 03:24 AM
Woohoo! Mysterious blue guy returns!
I love how the dwarven smith describes Nale and Thog in a way that could be easily mistaken for Roy and Elan.

Were-Rat
2005-04-27, 04:10 AM
That last one was insanely hilarious. It's an incredibly well-placed joke on a cliche running around the fantasy genre. But you really can't help but love the weasel (then again, you can't ever help but love the comic relief.)

Whew. Priceless.

cyper
2005-04-27, 04:43 AM
Hey,
does anyone know what is the blue guy holding when he's talking to the barbarian?
seems to be dripping something... can't figure out what it is!

btw - new here, so hi all ;D

pumpkinetics
2005-04-27, 04:46 AM
At last! Exactly twice as many strips as when I first started reading! Now I don't feel so newbish!

Arian
2005-04-27, 05:08 AM
You've been here six months - exactly how long is a feeling of newbishness expected to last? :D