PDA

View Full Version : The Order of the Stick: April

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

The Giant
2005-04-01, 04:51 AM
New month. New thread. New comic is up. Discuss.

Nikolai_II
2005-04-01, 05:02 AM
LOL!

Bag of Tricks useful - great. ;D

Durkon bound, gagged and secretly comprehensible - good. :D

OotS in danger - scary :o

Nighthawk4
2005-04-01, 05:51 AM
Very funny.

Is that a stack of telephone directories under Belkar's feet? ;)

The Glyphstone
2005-04-01, 06:38 AM
That was hilarious. I loved the books under Belkar's feet.
[radio announcer] How will Roy stop the imminent deaths of his entire party? Tune in Monday on the Order of the Stick.[/radio announcer]

Unien
2005-04-01, 06:42 AM
Is it me or the face of Sam's father shows that he doesn't aprove the execution at all?

Belkar's height extension looks like some yellow bricks... yellow bricks? in a forest?? :o

One thing i noticed while rereading some old OotS... did Durkon actually cast a Heal spell on the fami... on Blackwing?
I say this because the spell's name is usually what is shown on cast. Just wondering ???

Gael
2005-04-01, 07:47 AM
Roy proves his great intelligence and superior strategic skills here. Prowess like what he shows certainly helped him obtain his fighter MBA.

I too love Belkar standing on a pile of books. There are few puns about his short stature.
I bet he'd teach anyone it's actually hobbit and most definitely not halfling that he wants to be called.

OrigamiWolf
2005-04-01, 07:58 AM
Belkar doesn't seem to look too worried.

And a cliffhanger before the weekend? Aiiiee, how am I gonna last until the Monday update? ;D

(Oh yeah, first time here too. Hi!)

Sundog
2005-04-01, 08:12 AM
Welcome, OrigamiWolf!

I should also note, this is one situation where Roy's makeshift weapon is more useful than his usual one - headbonks with a greatsword would be somewhat bloodier...

Shatteredtower
2005-04-01, 08:51 AM
I liked the silhouette that first announced Roy's presence. That was a nice touch.

ObadiahtheSlim
2005-04-01, 08:55 AM
See the bag of tricks isn't so bad after all.

BTW, great way to start April off!

Makino
2005-04-01, 09:09 AM
Hello all!

Well seeing as how things are going, either the bandits know where Roy's starmetal thingy is or they actually already have it... :o So I can see how there is going to be a deal cut between oots and the bandits next week.

As for how Roy is going to get them out of the hanging...beats me! ;D

Wanderer
2005-04-01, 09:13 AM
You see, THIS is the time where lighting a tent on fire as a distraction would come in handy. No, really. We did it in a town once when they were trying to hang one of our characters. Worked wonderfully. Burned down half the town, too. ;D

Amose
2005-04-01, 09:22 AM
WONK!

New favorite is Roy today. I sure Bel will be #1 again soon.

WONK!

Victor_Von_Doom
2005-04-01, 10:09 AM
Durkon: Mmph mrph mmmph mmf mrf mrrrph mrph!
Roy: I'm going to choose to attribute that comment to stress...

I wonder what Durkon really said ;D

Peldor
2005-04-01, 10:11 AM
I should also note, this is one situation where Roy's makeshift weapon is more useful than his usual one - headbonks with a greatsword would be somewhat bloodier...

Yes, handy for the KO, but how are Roy and Durkon going to cut down the ropes with a club and a hammer?

Janitor
2005-04-01, 10:12 AM
Great comic, every single panel was hilarious. The phone books were great and I love the gag on Durkon. I thought the "Meow, Purrr, WONK" was awesome. Great job.

Kirbykid
2005-04-01, 10:41 AM
i loved this one. GO BAG OF TRICKS!!! ;D also Belkar on the books and Durkon tied up was great aswell. BUT WHAT WILL HAPPIN?!?!?!?

Yes, handy for the KO, but how are Roy and Durkon going to cut down the ropes with a club and a hammer?

use the bag of tricks! :P cats have claws, so do other animals.

I WIN!!! (i love doing this so you'll see even when i don't win)

Mick_the_Rogue
2005-04-01, 10:47 AM
Ha, I love it. Lets use the cat as a projectile!

Nikolai_II
2005-04-01, 10:51 AM
Hello all!

Well seeing as how things are going, either the bandits know where Roy's starmetal thingy is or they actually already have it... :o So I can see how there is going to be a deal cut between oots and the bandits next week.

So you do believe that there will be any starmetal at all?
http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=142

Wanderer
2005-04-01, 11:01 AM

Certainly! First off, quest-based rumors always vanish the instant a quest is completed. Find the great magical whatever in the dungeon of something-or-other on the forgotten plains of doom, 1,000 miles from anywhere, and instantly no NPC will ever talk about it again. ;D

Secondly, if the forest really is as dangerous as Nale believes, odds are that any other adventurers who went after the starmetal were killed before they got there. Or ambushed by the bandits, robbed, and left to wander alone in the wilderness...

Geth
2005-04-01, 12:05 PM
A truely awsome comic today.

And that's no joke.

Gez
2005-04-01, 12:31 PM
The bandit guards were armed with swords... Did Roy had the foresight of taking one of these swords for himself?

You know what could save the Order, now?
Spoiler: A tree attack. Some ents moving against the bandits, for whatever reason. It would be a bit a deus ex machina, which are seldom interesting, but with all of Durkon's raves...

;D

Makino
2005-04-01, 12:42 PM

Oh sure, because just out of some wacky coincidence, there actually is some around the forest ^_^ Just because we know that Nale set them up doesn't mean that the players won't find some, no matter how improbable.

xolik
2005-04-01, 12:55 PM
Ha, I love it. Lets use the cat as a projectile!

Bring out the cat-apults!

I know, I know...that was awful, but I couldn't resist.

Rambling_Scribe
2005-04-01, 01:00 PM

No, no. Don't forget, The OotS are D&D characters. It doesn't matter if it's a sword or a club or a rapier. Doing non-lethal damage is -4 to hit!

Nikolai_II
2005-04-01, 01:13 PM
Certainly! First off, quest-based rumors always vanish the instant a quest is completed. Find the great magical whatever in the dungeon of something-or-other on the forgotten plains of doom, 1,000 miles from anywhere, and instantly no NPC will ever talk about it again. ;D

What?!

You have never sent your players on a quest only to find a looted dungeon? :o ::)

But although it was fun you are right that it shouldn't be a regular occurence.. :P

roguebfl
2005-04-01, 01:23 PM
Cool now strip i see Roy is doing a nice variation on Ms Kitty's trick 8) [Though she normally use her Warshaper ability to become iaijutsu claws of death when the guard bends down to pat her ;)]

Ouch V Must Really despise Samantha! an Elf threatening to go undead!

umm...Greatsword have a nice wide "flat of the blade"

SumGuy
2005-04-01, 03:12 PM
Thanks for the pick-me-up Rich, I defenatly need it today.

AtomicKitKat
2005-04-01, 03:28 PM
umm...Greatsword have a nice wide "flat of the blade"

You have any idea how hard it is to swing the blade flatwise? 2 words: Air Resistance. There's a reason why they always use the POMMEL to knock the guards out in the movies...

Jaqrabbit
2005-04-01, 03:34 PM
Loved the panel where Roy's silhouette shows up behind the guard, just as the guy is wondering why the kitten is out there alone. Very good page, and some definite dramatic tension mixed in with the humor!

GeekDaddy
2005-04-01, 05:38 PM
I thought the scene with Durkon on Roy's back was a nice tribute to Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back where a broken C-3PO was riding on Chewbacca's back.

The phone books made for a great sight gag!

I think the expression on Sam's father's face is more of concern over V's threat than disapproval for the imminent execution.

RBPRX1204
2005-04-01, 05:38 PM
Two words: Loved it.
Great one today. I really like Durkin tied up.
Peace! 8)

Starla
2005-04-01, 05:55 PM
The bandit guards were armed with swords... Did Roy had the foresight of taking one of these swords for himself?

You know what could save the Order, now?
Spoiler: A tree attack. Some ents moving against the bandits, for whatever reason. It would be a bit a deus ex machina, which are seldom interesting, but with all of Durkon's raves...

;D

Ha! you have read Lemony Snicket or you swallowed an encyclopedia. Which is it?

Oh and before anyone else can say it:
The cat's out of the bag (and then back in again-pretty useful that the cat is obedient)

bedbugsareyummy
2005-04-01, 06:48 PM
Erm,how would that post make Gez looked like he swallowed an encyclopaedia or likes A Series of Unfortunate events?
Is it the deus ex machina?If so: ooops.But yesyes, gods out of a machine are fun.

and a truly wonderful comic yet again ;)

Pax
2005-04-01, 08:07 PM
New month. New thread. New comic is up. Discuss.
You know, it's really a shame you couldn't've been just ONE strip further along in the story; having the whole party actually hanged to death - with Roy and Durkon attacked by Treants (which would have happily started eatign Durkon, of course - would have been an AWESOME (and extremely cruel) April Fools joke. Heh!

Pax
2005-04-01, 08:15 PM
Because it bloody well bears repeating:

I personally think that someone should say exactly that to Nale, when he (in shock) discovers that there really WAS some Starmetal in that forest; it's SOOOOOOOO much in line with V's explaination of why there wouldn't be another random encounter while travelling. :D Hee! :D

Pvednes
2005-04-01, 10:33 PM
As always the stickler's in the detail...Roy shaped bush in 4th panel, Belkar propped up on the gallows with telephone directories.. :D

Potato_the_Great
2005-04-02, 01:01 AM
For someone about to be hung, V is quite calm actually.

roguebfl
2005-04-02, 01:19 AM
You have any idea how hard it is to swing the blade flatwise? 2 words: Air Resistance. There's a reason why they always use the POMMEL to knock the guards out in the movies...

about as much air resinat as swing a club as big (the flat in not exactly flat either)

roguebfl
2005-04-02, 01:22 AM
Erm,how would that post make Gez looked like he swallowed an encyclopaedia or likes A Series of Unfortunate events?
Is it the deus ex machina?If so: ooops.But yesyes, gods out of a machine are fun.

No need to opps, Dues ex machina, is a Latin phrase, and it in the DMG 8)

Nikolai_II
2005-04-02, 06:32 AM
about as much air resinat as swing a club as big (the flat in not exactly flat either)

Ah - but when a club is turned around by air resistance it presents a new blunt edge - while if a greatsword happens to come down on it's side when you intended it to hit with the flat.. *splat* :P

Anders
2005-04-02, 08:57 AM

I can see that you have never held a REAL sword in your hands. The pommel is just as killing as the blade is. The flat of the blade IS the thingy you don't kill with.

An to the question of the Starmetal... Read nr. 142 "The Rumors been around for decades. If it ever existed..." Ergo, it is real

JMFD
2005-04-02, 09:56 AM
Awwwwwwwww! Kitty! So cute.. can we have more of the cat?

On a more plot-related note, what do you think Roy will do with his soon-to-be-aquired group of bandits?

Starbuck_II
2005-04-02, 11:21 AM
Posted by: Potato_the_Great
For someone about to be hung, V is quite calm actually.

V is angry, leads to the Dark Side it does but anger clouds fear away. Yes. (Yoda-like speak)

Belkar is surprised at the books.

AtomicKitKat
2005-04-02, 11:24 AM
I can see that you have never held a REAL sword in your hands. The pommel is just as killing as the blade is. The flat of the blade IS the thingy you don't kill with.

Not very likely. The flat of the blade is ridiculously hard to swing with any accuracy or force to knock someone out. The pommel won't kill unless you happen to hit someone at the wrong point.

Now, if you'd suggested he simply left the greatsword in the scabbard and swung the two together like a normal greatsword, you might have a point(or lack thereof, which IS the point). ;D

roguebfl
2005-04-02, 12:00 PM
Not very likely. The flat of the blade is ridiculously hard to swing with any accuracy or force to knock someone out.

hense why it is -4 to hit 8) I was not saying it was as easy, I was saying it is possible.

Nikolai_II
2005-04-02, 01:02 PM
Not very likely. The flat of the blade is ridiculously hard to swing with any accuracy or force to knock someone out. The pommel won't kill unless you happen to hit someone at the wrong point.

Actually..

If we are to be real sticklers for realism..

Then any method of knocking people out is fatally dangerous and might just as well lead to death.
(This is why there is a designated doctor just for keeping the sedation at non-lethal levels when someone is being surgically treated)

This is what my doctor friend told me at least - that being knocked out IRL is very dangerous.. (permanent brain damage - here I come :P)

In RPGs it is usually easier ;D

Priceless_Ming
2005-04-02, 01:56 PM
I always thought subdual damage was done with the pommel and hilt.

But what do I know?

Say, is Roy's Greatclub wrapped in barb wire?

What is that stuff?

Ohtar_Turinson
2005-04-02, 02:14 PM
I agree with everyone else- great comic, and possibly the funniest thing I saw all April Fools day.

And while I feel slightly bad adding to the derailing of the topic... I would like to add support to the people who say that you hit with the flat for subdual damage. Unless the blade is massive, or feather shaped, there isn't much air resistance. However, it's much harder to swing- a sword isn't set up to be swung like that. The grip is hard, and normal blows need to be modifed more than just turning the blade. That's the -4 penalty.

As for hitting with the pommel... you'll probably break the target's skull if you try that. It's the single heaviest part of the sword, and would probably deal normal bludgeoning damage...

Porter
2005-04-02, 04:37 PM
Is it me or the face of Sam's father shows that he doesn't aprove the execution at all?

Belkar's height extension looks like some yellow bricks... yellow bricks? in a forest?? :o

One thing i noticed while rereading some old OotS... did Durkon actually cast a Heal spell on the fami... on Blackwing?
I say this because the spell's name is usually what is shown on cast. Just wondering ???

Yes, he most deffinately did cast heal.

Shatteredtower
2005-04-02, 10:50 PM
I can't help it. The more I think about that final panel, then more I think about Don Martin's version of the Robin Hood myths, where they come to the rescue of a strung-up compatriot by taking shots at the gallows rope.

Of course, Little John misses, hitting the post instead, whereupon Robin curses him for an idiot and quickly takes the bow, awing everyone around him, who gleefully declare, "He did it! He split it in half!"

And we cut to the next panel, where we seen that he has indeed split Little John's arrow in half, leaving the rope intact -- and supporting the now quite hanged former Merry Man.

Of course, in a situation like this, Roy would need the feats Manyshot and Ridiculous Weapon Proficiency (Small, Fuzzy Animal) to even make the attempt.

I am curious as to how he's planning to get them out of this one. Dwarf tossing is a no go. Talking? Eh, that's supposedly Elan's speciality -- and look how that turned out.

Aha... is this where the crown comes in, with its sharp edges? But can Xena Roy hit and cut all four ropes before Herr Doktor the executioner (and why do bandits need some professional to do their executing for them) can throw the switch?

Frigga
2005-04-02, 11:10 PM
Heh- erm, I really just wanted to comment that V's line made me laugh like a crazed hyena. I find it infinately quoteable. X3

Janitor
2005-04-03, 04:08 AM
I just need to point out how much I loved the last comic. I've been reading it over and over and it still hasn't gotten old. I like both Roy's and Durkon's characters especially in this situation. Roy is exercising his intellect and trying to save his blundering party and Durkon is deathly afraid of trees, a great combination. And I like how Belkar is relatively calm on the gallows and V is just egging them on.

And there are of course the minor touches that Rich adds to every comic to make it even that much funnier. The kitty was cute and the phonebooks were awesome. And I like Roy carrying Durkon, someone mentioned Chewbacca and C3PO, and the parallel is both strikingly similar and hilarious.

I really can't wait to find out Roy intends on doing. As much as I'd like Roy and Durkon to overwhelm the entire camp, I'd also welcome the idea of a deus ex machina.

Edit: Sorry, I had Belkar on my mind after talking about the phonebooks.

Porter
2005-04-03, 06:37 AM
The kitty was cute and the phonebooks were awesome. And I like Roy carrying Belkar

Uh, I am sure you did not mean to make the mistake, but Roy carried Durkon, not Belkar.

SITB
2005-04-03, 09:50 AM
I, personally, still thinks that the bag of tricks is useless. I mean every self respecting villan will have guards that know how to discern distraction from coincidence. And hire even more competent ones to insure those lesser guards will know it too.

On the side note of the comic I liked V's line the most. Go my army of elfish spellcasters ghosts!

KreenWarrior
2005-04-03, 01:12 PM
I, personally, still thinks that the bag of tricks is useless. I mean every self respecting villan will have guards that know how to discern distraction from coincidence.Eh, that actually has a chance of working. I men, you're on guard duty, you see a cute kitten. That's it. You have no reason whatsoever to suspect it's a trap. It's just a kitty. If you think cats are traps, you probably need therapy. That's why it works.

Nikolai_II
2005-04-03, 01:19 PM
If you think cats are traps, you probably need therapy. That's why it works.

Two points though.

1. A friendly cat in the middle of a forest? Forest cats are usually wild and nasty.. but that can pass, it looks like a pet cat and acts like a pet cat so it might fool guards into thinking that it is the genuine article (as opposed to a trap)

2. Why did it succeed?
http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=154
Here we see DM or metagaming bandits being mean to a simple and workable use of pets/companions/whathaveyou, but here we have a difficult plot which is likely to fail, but regardless it has worked at least three times..DM bias I call ::)

[Edit]
I'll add this that I thought about:

(and why do bandits need some professional to do their executing for them)

Maybe it is less about being professional and more about avoiding the 'dying mans curse' effect of being the one easily identified as being the 'murderer' when/if any of the executed returns as vengeful ghosts.. (or their friends at home do a true resurrection and living vengeful adventurers return..)

SITB
2005-04-03, 01:35 PM
Eh, that actually has a chance of working. I men, you're on guard duty, you see a cute kitten. That's it. You have no reason whatsoever to suspect it's a trap. It's just a kitty. If you think cats are traps, you probably need therapy. That's why it works.

Nor do I need to stop my guard duty in order to pat the kitten and relax my guard. I ditto Nikolai_II in everything he said(that I understanded) only to add: Bandits are usually the misfits of civilization. I would expect at least one guard to be unusually cruel to animals and paranoid.

Geth
2005-04-03, 02:22 PM
Nor do I need to stop my guard duty in order to pat the kitten and relax my guard. I ditto Nikolai_II in everything he said(that I understanded) only to add: Bandits are usually the misfits of civilization. I would expect at least one guard to be unusually cruel to animals and paranoid.

Who says that one of the guards wasn't mean to the kitty? We were just fortunated * wink wink* to observer the encounter with a kind hearted bandit.

If the bandit was more cruel he would still be distracted while he attempts to boot the kitty. So either way Roy would be able to sneak up on the bandit.

SITB
2005-04-03, 02:32 PM
Fortunate when Roy downed half the camp's perimeter guards? I think not.

Nikolai_II
2005-04-03, 03:08 PM
Fortunate when Roy downed half the camp's perimeter guards? I think not.

You are right - the DM was obviously much too kind.. on the other hand, his options were limited to either being kind or starting the campaign over.. ;)

Shatteredtower
2005-04-03, 06:24 PM
You are right - the DM was obviously much too kind.. on the other hand, his options were limited to either being kind or starting the campaign over.. ;)

In other words, he was being pragmatic and kindness may have had nothing to do with it. ;)

For all we know, Roy's player is just very good with the dice and the DM uses Unearthed Arcana's complex skill checks. ;) It saves a lot of trouble with what are likely 1st level guards against someone who's using a club. I mean, they must have pretty low Spot and Listen checks to overlook a fighter, even if he does have a good Dexterity.

The cat trick works relatively well if you see the cat coming from one direction and the hurled club comes from the other -- Roy can probably handle the range increment penalties better than his opponents can handle the modifier to Spot checks. Or he can perform one of those partial charge actions on the first indivdiual he hears react to the cat, provided the target is within 20 feet.

Or, to approach it from outside of game mechanics, we've already seen that there's a morale problem in the bandit camp. At times like those, the people with better prospects either don't stick around or don't get stuck doing guard duty. Their minds tend to be on other things, such as the good old days when they only robbed from those who could afford it and how they ended up working for someone who tends to keep most of the loot for herself. They're hardly on the beaten path, the only group of troublemakers in the area has already been rounded up, (since "everyone" knows that you don't split up the party), and you've never done the job if you think anyone is going to maintain that state of vigilance in such conditions and such a setting.

So why was V's familiar shot? Well, Sam's a sorcerer (and a bewitching one at that). Knowledge (arcana), the skill relevant to identifiying magical beasts (such as familiars), is a class skill for sorcerrs. While every other bandit in the woods might have seen a bird, it is plausible that Sam saw something very different and ordered everyone she could muster to open fire. This would explain why there was one reaction to a familiar by the camp, but another by a lone, less educated, guard to the cat.

Or it may just be that at least some of the bandits have an intense like ravens and other carrion birds. I can believe it quite easily, considering some of the nasty things I've seen done to the birds over the years. Either way, metagaming was not necessarily required.

Rambling_Scribe
2005-04-03, 08:27 PM
Besides, all the important (i.e. competent) people are off watching the hanging. Rank has it's priveleges. Put those new guys who almost screwed up the ambush on sentry duty!

monkey
2005-04-03, 09:23 PM
So why was V's familiar shot? Well, Sam's a sorcerer (and a bewitching one at that). Knowledge (arcana), the skill relevant to identifiying magical beasts (such as familiars)...

but Sam was in the tent being seduced by Elan. btw nice start to April I relly like Balkar's books. ;D

Shatteredtower
2005-04-04, 12:05 AM
but Sam was in the tent being seduced by Elan.

Possibly not. It's a question of how long it took Haley to send their eye in the sky up to pincushion position vs. how long it took Elan to decide to make his break and reconsider.

Porter
2005-04-04, 12:11 AM
Bag of tricks. At low level the lowest bag of tricks is awsome. And, in the defence of the bag of tricks, bag of tricks kicks ass. For distraction, fights, throwing on people in combat. Also, the better bags of tricks rock even more. I mean, who doesnt want a rino fighting with them. Or a war horse with full tac and gear on?

Lilly
2005-04-04, 12:40 AM
Random question for people who catch the comic right as soon as it updates: What time does it normally update? I want to know if I should get up a little early before work or stay up late to check to the comic.

Kish
2005-04-04, 02:46 AM
Random question for people who catch the comic right as soon as it updates: What time does it normally update? I want to know if I should get up a little early before work or stay up late to check to the comic.
When it's done. :P Sorry, I know that's not very helpful, but really, I haven't observed any particular pattern to it. It's often up by now...but, obviously, not tonight.

Porter
2005-04-04, 02:59 AM
A quote from the F.A.Q. http://www.giantitp.com/FAQ.html#faq11

Q: Hey, it’s 12:01 on Monday/Thursday, where’s the strip?

A: Relax. I post the strips when I’m done with them, they’re not automated. Generally, I try to get them posted around midnight, but I don’t consider them late until 9:00 am the next morning (that's Eastern Standard Time, by the way). Basically, if you get to work in the morning and there’s no OOTS, then it’s late. I have missed a few updates, mostly as a result of getting stranded or being sick, but I always put up a filler image explaining the difficulty and when the new strip can be expected.

Lilly
2005-04-04, 03:31 AM
Well you were both rather helpful, even though I know it's not late until 9am EST, but I was hoping there was some sort of pattern as to when before being late it updated.

But moving on: I've been reading through the archives to kill some time this evening, and I've been wondering, since when has Haley like-liked Elan?

And with the Durkon muttering things only Roy could understand did that remind anyone else of Kenny from South Park?

Edit: I feel really bad about bringing this whole update time thing up at all. I do appreaciate the comics when ever they get up.

Porter
2005-04-04, 04:39 AM
I belive we got wind of it when haley said "See what his 18 charisma is worth under the hood" or something like that after Elan had been running around naked trying to lower his ac penalty.

Nikolai_II
2005-04-04, 05:02 AM
But moving on: I've been reading through the archives to kill some time this evening, and I've been wondering, since when has Haley like-liked Elan?

Since the battle in Xykons lair when she jumped.. well, a lot, to stop him and then there was a looong pause..

Btw - the comic is up now ;)

Circon
2005-04-04, 05:07 AM
Stupid Belkar. The characters KNOW that they're in a comic, they REALLY should know better than to say things like that. Especially when saying "Oh, nice one, Roy" causes it to seemingly fail, you do NOT say "I take that back!" unless you want the success taken back too.
:groan:

GeeVee
2005-04-04, 05:26 AM
Oooh, one hanged halfling ranger coming up...

Aidan305
2005-04-04, 06:07 AM
I will now proceed to babble on mindlessly as to why Belkar won't be killed by hanging:

The phone books will fall at a different rate to Belkar and as a result the sudden stop won't happen properly. Belkar will not break his neck which is how hanging works and instead die slowly by strangulation.

roguebfl
2005-04-04, 06:08 AM
Oooh, one hanged halfling ranger coming up...

or was a good Escape Artist to escape the noose.

[edited]

The Glyphstone
2005-04-04, 06:12 AM
You mean, "was a good Escape Artist to escape the noose"?

Possiblly. Me, I think Belkar's toast.

AtomicKitKat
2005-04-04, 06:19 AM
Dance, little man, dance!

Heh, I'll post what I think may happen in the prediction thread. :P

Meagen
2005-04-04, 06:22 AM
I think he's still alive because he only weighs 30 pounds and most of it is in his head. Halflings have a different body type than humans, and the same methods of execution don't work on them.

Lesse... hm, it would be fun if he sort of rotated on his rope so he's hanging upside down and the blood was rushing to his head.

...also, Roy could take out some rats from the BoT and toss them at the party members and tell them to chew through the ropes.

Eslington
2005-04-04, 06:52 AM
Also, if Belkar did take that level of barbarian, he could get a little more time by Raging just before he suffocates. Assuming the non-snapped neck idea works.

SITB
2005-04-04, 07:06 AM
Like Nale said in a previous strip:"Totally worth it."

Also there are still something like 11 bandits in the vicinty and 2 potential mini-bosses. And I doubt Roy would call a 1V1 match on Samantha since he doesn't have that knowledge.

On a side note: How will rage help Belkar stay alive? Won't rampaging only waste more of his valuable, valuable air?

The Glyphstone
2005-04-04, 07:22 AM
I think because Raging boosts your Constitution, and you can hold your breath for a number of rounds that goes up the higher your CON is (rounds=CON, I think?) before you start to suffocate.

Mortecareus
2005-04-04, 07:24 AM
On a side note: How will rage help Belkar stay alive? Won't rampaging only waste more of his valuable, valuable air?

Rage gives a Con bonus (+4, i think?). that's another 8 rounds he can hold his breath. strange how he can hold his breath better while in a berserk, destructive rage....

What kind of attack rolls must Roy have rolled to pull that one off, though?

Kaerou
2005-04-04, 07:34 AM
hehehehe, todays OotS is one of my favorites!

Edalmri
2005-04-04, 07:54 AM
Rage gives a Con bonus (+4, i think?). that's another 8 rounds he can hold his breath. strange how he can hold his breath better while in a berserk, destructive rage....

Either really good or really bad rolls depending on who he was aiming at.

Hehehe, halfling on a rope, if he dies Roy can pick him up and use him like a flail. ;D

Wanderer
2005-04-04, 07:57 AM
Hmm... either Roy rolled REALLY high... or he took the feat "throw anything."

That's really great, though. Cutting three ropes AND killing the hangman just by throwing the hilt part of a broken sword? Magnificent.

ObadiahtheSlim
2005-04-04, 08:04 AM
Talk about rolling a natural 20 when you needed it the most. Great job!

Knight13
2005-04-04, 08:22 AM
Hehehe, halfling on a rope, if he dies Roy can pick him up and use him like a flail.
There is actually a feat in the Beyond Monks book called Creature Club that allows you to wield a creature one or two size classes lower than yourself as though it were a greatclub. Ogres like to call it the "halfling smackdown". ;D

Aidan305
2005-04-04, 08:26 AM

Hit, hit, hit, miss (possibly critical), natural twenty, natural twenty, natural twenty using the instant death rule.

Pretty good considering a -4 penalty for non-proficiency.

Thinking about it, the miss probably was critical accounting for the hangman pulling the lever when he died.

Sundog
2005-04-04, 08:43 AM
I should point out that the neck-snapping style of hanging is a very recent invention. Throughout most of history, that lever would draw the ropes UP, so that the poor victim would slowly strangle to death - it could take up to half an hour, depending on the type of knot used. This is why a headsman was considered more merciful, even if he did miss occasionally (or more than occasionally, if he was drunk - and many were).

So, Belkar should be okay, if they get to the little weasel in time.

Janitor
2005-04-04, 09:06 AM
That was great, but poor Belkar. Everyone is still tied up though and there are a bunch of bandits around, so they haven't escaped yet. And I love Durkon is still tied up too.

Kaerou
2005-04-04, 09:09 AM
Dont worry, the Durkon can raise dead.. cant he?

Edalmri
2005-04-04, 09:32 AM
He can, unless he's several levels below V.

Kaerou
2005-04-04, 10:20 AM
I think the old bandit chief will side with our heroes (and the halfling) in this one judging by the look on his face.

Banjo_Buddy
2005-04-04, 10:30 AM
I should point out that the neck-snapping style of hanging is a very recent invention. Throughout most of history, that lever would draw the ropes UP, so that the poor victim would slowly strangle to death - it could take up to half an hour, depending on the type of knot used. This is why a headsman was considered more merciful, even if he did miss occasionally (or more than occasionally, if he was drunk - and many were).

What Sundog said. There are lots of possible reasons why Belkar wouldn't choke to death by the end of the fight (and Roy Greenhilt, MBA, might not even have to fight).

If it devolves to straight-up battle, well, Roy's toast. But I'm sure it won't go that way.

ObadiahtheSlim
2005-04-04, 10:32 AM
This is why a headsman was considered more merciful, even if he did miss occasionally (or more than occasionally, if he was drunk - and many were).

Wasn't there a custom amoung the more wealthy who where executed to tip their executioner so he wouldn't get drunk the night before and so he would get a clean cut the first time.

Caelestion
2005-04-04, 10:49 AM
If Durkon can cast Heal (and it wasn't a lower-level Heal Familiar variant), then he can certainly cast Raise Dead.
However, worrying about the mechanics is kinda pointless. The Giant will out, as they say, and he will out (or OOT) in the most appropriate way. :)

Cael

Nikolai_II
2005-04-04, 11:01 AM

On the other hand this is a fantasy world and their.. gallows clearly has a set of trapdoors..
(...gallows for a bandit gang in the middle of a forest - they must have had really bad discipline problems)

ObadiahtheSlim
2005-04-04, 11:36 AM
Correct me if I am wrong, but for the neck snap technique of hanging, you have to have a long enough rope for them to fall fast enough that when they hit the ropes end, they snap. Too short a rope, and then they just get a nasy bruise and whip-lash before the whole strangle-to-death happens.

My point being, the ropes are at the length where the rope isn't that loose with them just standing on the gallows. Belkar has probably at least a couple of minutes before he will die.

Makino
2005-04-04, 11:39 AM
Well if you look at the ropes, they have no slack in them, so that would mean that it is a strangulation type of gallows. But if you look at how short the gallows is, the wide trap doors wouldn't even be able to open properly because they would hit the ground first.

This is assuming of course that the scene wasn't drawn this way just for the sake of convenience ^_^

garand
2005-04-04, 11:47 AM
Well if you look at the ropes, they have no slack in them, so that would mean that it is a strangulation type of gallows. But if you look at how short the gallows is, the wide trap doors wouldn't even be able to open properly because they would hit the ground first.

This is assuming of course that the scene wasn't drawn this way just for the sake of convenience ^_^

Or, there's a pit beneath the gallows.

Edalmri
2005-04-04, 11:53 AM
Not only would a pit allow the doors to open but it'd make disposing of the bodies easy too. That's two birds with one stone. ;D

Makino
2005-04-04, 01:03 PM
Not only would a pit allow the doors to open but it'd make disposing of the bodies easy too. That's two birds with one stone. ;D

Eww that would really smell after awhile.. :o

Edalmri
2005-04-04, 01:45 PM
Sissy. If it ever became that much of a problem Samantha could cast fireball or something.

Ferret_Dragon
2005-04-04, 01:56 PM
Or there are flumphs... I mean carrion crawlers below. Ot you to know?

Gorbash Kazdar
2005-04-04, 03:06 PM
Wasn't there a custom amoung the more wealthy who where executed to tip their executioner so he wouldn't get drunk the night before and so he would get a clean cut the first time.
The bribe did cover that, I suppose, but the main idea was to make sure the executioner sharpened his instrument. Otherwise, it could take a couple of whacks to do the job...

In any case, I think you guys are overanalyzing here a bit. It is a comic drawn in stick figure style; I don't think the Giant was up all night with William Marwood's tables, figuring out how much rope each OotS member would need for a long drop hanging and then getting out his straightedge to make sure his proportions were correct.

That being said, I think the idea is to have a short drop or strangulation hanging for the dramatic effect of someone having to rescue Belkar before he asphyxiates. Besides, (to over-analyze a bit myself) he'd have to drop around 9+ feet in order for his neck to snap, and it doesn't look like there's quite that much open space beneath him.

Nikolai_II
2005-04-04, 03:13 PM
That being said, I think the idea is to have a short drop or strangulation hanging for the dramatic effect of someone having to rescue Belkar before he asphyxiates.

And also the coolness factor of talking hoarsely (at least until healed)

Porter
2005-04-04, 03:53 PM
BELKAR!!!!!!!!

I hope Belkar does not die, he has always been my favorite.

Rage will get Belkar more Con, and more hitpoints. It would be really usefull.

The_Shadow
2005-04-04, 04:20 PM
Don't get too excited. If Belkar does die, that just means that the Giant gets to use a lot of Raise Dead humor. ;)

JMFD
2005-04-04, 05:24 PM
Am I going mad, or has the last strip changed?

Janitor
2005-04-04, 05:34 PM
I'm pretty sure your mad, unless your not used to the new update schedule, which is Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

Porter
2005-04-04, 06:08 PM
What do you think the chances are of Belkar weighing less than 5 pounds???

JMFD
2005-04-04, 06:36 PM
When I first checked the strip this morning it was a different one in place of the one with Roy throwing the sword; it had one with Belkar going blue.. made no sense then, but looks like it might be the next one?

Tharivol
2005-04-04, 06:42 PM
Really? I didn't see that. The Giant must have done a few in advance and put the wrong one up by mistake. He would've had to catch it quickly for no one else to notice.

The Glyphstone
2005-04-04, 07:57 PM
well, at least that confirms (if it's true) that Belkar's gonna start suffocating...

Fox_Robin
2005-04-04, 08:10 PM
For all the discussion of the rope techniques of the hangmans noose no one has yet to point out that the crew is still all tied up by seperate ropes. They may have escaped the noose (our angry halfling aside) but there is still the problem of getting themselves free to carry out their next action ;-)

I am hoping at least one of them has ranks in Use Rope.

PS: As the say on talk back radio..."Long time listener...first time caller." So happy I passed MY spot check for OOTS ;-)

*Roy has boobies* he he he

Lilly
2005-04-04, 09:13 PM
For all the discussion of the rope techniques of the hangmans noose no one has yet to point out that the crew is still all tied up by seperate ropes. They may have escaped the noose (our angry halfling aside) but there is still the problem of getting themselves free to carry out their next action ;-)

I am hoping at least one of them has ranks in Use Rope.

PS: As the say on talk back radio..."Long time listener...first time caller." So happy I passed MY spot check for OOTS ;-)

*Roy has boobies* he he he

Well welcome and hello!

And Haley has 8 ranks in use rope (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=69)

Spaz
2005-04-04, 09:49 PM
Some ranks in escape artist wouldnt be bad either and since Haley has 5 or more ranks in use rope she gets that whole synergy thing for escape artist checks involving rope....good ol V3.5 ;D

Arturius
2005-04-04, 10:38 PM
V probably has some spell that can get them all free, but couldn't cast it as it would only bring their deaths quicker. I don't think Belkar has to worry about suffication. His main concern is his neck snapping.

roguebfl
2005-04-04, 11:01 PM
V probably has some spell that can get them all free, but couldn't cast it as it would only bring their deaths quicker. I don't think Belkar has to worry about suffication. His main concern is his neck snapping.

Nope, when they where tied up in the tent, the metion they didn have any spell to get out, and "someoine" Use rope skill" was to good (Heley failed her escape arties check).

Lilly
2005-04-04, 11:04 PM
All this talk about hanging got me thinking about random movie quotes:

"I want to see to it that any man who sails under a pirate flag gets what he deserves, a short drop and a sudden stop." - Pirates of the Caribbean

The Giant
2005-04-05, 12:14 AM
Yes, Strip #165 was in place for about 3 minutes this morning at around 5:30 am, before I noticed and replaced it with Strip #164. So that means some people may have seen it, and went ahead and spoiled it for the rest of you by posting parts of it here.

Porter
2005-04-05, 01:09 AM
tsk tsk tsk on those spoilers.

Nikolai_II
2005-04-05, 02:23 AM
For shame..

But seing as how that is how it is, maybe this week should be '5 OotS' week then ;)

I mean, post 165 today and it won't have time to be much spoiled for many, then keep posting one per day? ;D

Ah well, just a silly suggestion ::)

Porter
2005-04-05, 02:48 AM
Why should Rich have to work more because of the balbbity mouth of some of his readers?

Tharivol
2005-04-05, 02:53 AM
To be fair, she was confused and trying to figure out what happened.

Porter
2005-04-05, 02:57 AM
Well, yeah. That, and she did not divulge much. Just something I am sure we all were at least 25% expecting.

Paragon_Kobold
2005-04-05, 03:18 AM
Yes, Strip #165 was in place for about 3 minutes this morning at around 5:30 am, before I noticed and replaced it with Strip #164.

Thank you for clearing that up. I was afraid my brain was doing the timewarp thing again. ???

Nikolai_II
2005-04-05, 04:52 AM
Why should Rich have to work more because of the balbbity mouth of some of his readers?

Erm?

She was honestly confused, a human feeling that is quite legal and understanable, especially since she (as I gather) stayed up very late just to read the strip before going to bed.

And for the record I would like to point out that had #165 not been made public then noone could have known anything.

Also my post was 90% joke and 10% fondest dream.. :-*

I'd also like to point out that just mentioning of Belkars looks is quite minor as relevations go - it is quite obvious that he would hang for a while, so all we have learned is how Rich portrayed it.. a mention about how Belkar was released/killed, that would have been a major faux pas, but this is IMO nothing important.

While I'm rambling incoherently I'll also add that Rich keeps his own council and even though we have been 'promised' a week of daily OotS this might still not be the best week to do it, seeing as how he is overwrought with work (or at least in a bad mood)

So as a final point I'll add:
You are doing great Rich, I love your comic and.. you are doing great.

Gez
2005-04-05, 11:27 AM
A blue Belkar? It's time to start cranking out Smurf jokes!

That said, in this party, only Belkar is insensitive enough to joke about smurfs (smurves? after all, one say elves, dwarves, and wolves :D) when one of his fellows is asphixiating to death.

Makino
2005-04-05, 11:41 AM
I think the show was called The Smurfs. Smurves would be what is left of them after Gargamel chews them up a bit. Which brings to mind, why would Gargamel eat Smurfs? I can understand how he needs them to make gold, but to eat them....it just seems like there are easier things to eat than something that is three apples high and can cast magic, or build clockwork clones....

;)

Nikolai_II
2005-04-05, 12:38 PM
IIRC it was Gargamels cat Azrael that wanted smurfs for eating - Gargamel usually wanted them as spell components (exept for that one time when he actually captured them all and settled with enslaving them)

Meagen
2005-04-05, 02:41 PM
tsk tsk tsk on those spoilers.

Okay, I admit it, I saw the next comic and posted based on that.

Porter
2005-04-05, 02:42 PM
I have not meant anything harsh when replying to all this 'wrong comic' stuff. Some of it was sarcasm, and some of it was just fact. I harbour no ill will to those who brought up seeing the next strip. They gave away little, and really, I would have said the same things. I hope none have taken offence.

Regards,
Porter

thewaka
2005-04-05, 03:43 PM
I have only been reading the boards for a couple of weeks, but following the comic much longer. I really liked the most recent one, but Belkar! He's my favorite!

Anyway, I wanted to comment on V's familiar being shot down. Haley said many birds must fly overhead everyday, why was this one shot (#154)? In strip #134 (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=134), where Roy is told of the starmetal, there is a comment from a bird that they "all got away" (referring to the fact that there are many monsters in the forest). So perhaps there aren't birds flying overhead like Haley assumed.

Diana

radishlaw
2005-04-05, 03:47 PM
On a more positive note,
this shows that OOTS is indeed drawn in advance(sometimes) and if this is kept up, we will see Rich's
excellent comic on time every other weekday.

JMFD
2005-04-05, 03:59 PM
*crawls back into lurking*

NEO|Phyte
2005-04-05, 04:01 PM
I have only been reading the boards for a couple of weeks, but following the comic much longer. I really liked the most recent one, but Belkar! He's my favorite!

Anyway, I wanted to comment on V's familiar being shot down. Haley said many birds must fly overhead everyday, why was this one shot (#154)? In strip #134 (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=134), where Roy is told of the starmetal, there is a comment from a bird that they "all got away" (referring to the fact that there are many monsters in the forest). So perhaps there aren't birds flying overhead like Haley assumed.

Diana

:o

Kish
2005-04-06, 12:26 AM
Belkar changed color all right, but not blue, I see now that strip #165 is up.

Lilly
2005-04-06, 12:38 AM
Squeee!

"No sneak attack for you!"

This is a good one, can't wait for the battle scene. Or the Xykon cutaway that you know is coming.

NEO|Phyte
2005-04-06, 12:40 AM
<3 the beaver

Gorbash Kazdar
2005-04-06, 12:44 AM
Uhh... yeah...

Anywho, the last line definitely made the comic for me. I guess the penchant for mindless violence runs in Belkar's family.

I also find it escpecially amusing that after all the discussion about hanging methods, the Giant turned a technical aspect into a joke.

thewaka
2005-04-06, 12:53 AM
Well, I loved it! Metagaming by the party, Samantha's eyes are purple again, and Belkar gets some great lines in, just all round good stuff.

Diana

elmoras
2005-04-06, 01:39 AM
Great Comic,
IMHO, the best one since they got out of the Dungeon.
Maybe except the one with the Monty Python Pardoy in the shop. Or the one with Durkon's fear of trees. Or the one with Xylon with the Hobgoblins... well, GREAT COMIC ANYWAY!

AtomicKitKat
2005-04-06, 01:44 AM
Hehe. Rich seems to have pre-empted a lot of us(assuming he didn't "borrow" ideas from the boards):

30 lbs
Big head
upside down

I think the hair on his feet should have acted as a counterbalance, leaving him spinning on his side. :P

Nikolai_II
2005-04-06, 02:30 AM
It seems as if Fly is indeed houseruled to long duration for all takers. :)

(Poor V :-[)

What impresses me here is Haley. She's been hanging tied up in plain view of the entire camp, presumably after having been stripped of gear, and yet within seconds of being freed, she's managed to acquire a bow. Either that executioner was well armed, or else she's put an impressive number of ranks into Sleight of Hand, and one of the nearby bandits is currently wondering why he's unarmed.

Kish
2005-04-06, 04:49 AM
What impresses me here is Haley. She's been hanging tied up in plain view of the entire camp, presumably after having been stripped of gear, and yet within seconds of being freed, she's managed to acquire a bow. Either that executioner was well armed, or else she's put an impressive number of ranks into Sleight of Hand, and one of the nearby bandits is currently wondering why he's unarmed.
Looks like the same bow.

I suspect Sam made a big mistake by trying to hang Haley's bow with her.

And an equally big mistake by not taking away Elan's chain shirt or rapier. (Note: You can plainly see he's still wearing his chain shirt, so he obviously wasn't stripped of all his gear.)

A mistake of uncertain proportions by not disarming Belkar, who may or may not get any actual use out of having his daggers before Sam is defeated.

The mistake she's really going to regret, though, is not taking away Vaarsuvius' Ring of Wizardry.

AtomicKitKat
2005-04-06, 05:46 AM
And an equally big mistake by not taking away Elan's chain shirt or rapier. (Note: You can plainly see he's still wearing his chain shirt, so he obviously wasn't stripped of all his gear.)

Chain shirt yes, rapier no. No sign of the rapier in the whole of #165.

A mistake of uncertain proportions by not disarming Belkar, who may or may not get any actual use out of having his daggers before Sam is defeated.

No daggers in sight either.

As for V's ring, I guess it's too small for The Giant to bother detailing in every frame. :P

Pvednes
2005-04-06, 07:09 AM
Fermi problem time!

The amount of rope required to hang Belkar via the Long Drop.

Since D&D rules call for Imperial Measure, we shall do it in Imperial.

First we must determine the drop distance.

D (ft) = 1020 (ft.lb) / [m (lb) - mh (lb)]

Where D is Drop Distance, m is mass of victim, and mh is the mass of the victim's head.

D = ?
m = 30lb

As Belkar's head weighs more than his body, we will use his head in place of his body, and take the weight of his body away from his total weight instead of his head. Judging from the comic, Belkar's head accounts for approximately 3/5ths of his mass, therefore

mh = 12lb

So D = 1020 / [30 - 12]
=1020 / 18
=56 + 2/3 ft.

Next we must determine the length of the rope.

Rope length = D + [S - C]

S is the height of the scaffold beam of the gallows from the trap door
C is neck height.

Let's put S at around 10ft, and Belkar's body plus phonebooks at around 4ft.

Hence

Rope length = 56 + 2/3 + [10 - 4]
= 56 + 2/3 + 6
=62 + 2/3 ft

Add seven feet for tying to the scaffold beam, only the rope length should hang below the beam.

Happy lynching!

Rambling_Scribe
2005-04-06, 07:40 AM
Hehe. Rich seems to have pre-empted a lot of us(assuming he didn't "borrow" ideas from the boards):

30 lbs
Big head
upside down

No, that was the person that Rich was actually referring to who saw the strip and posted based on what she saw. After Rich called her out she admitted she had done it, which only served to give more of the plot away to anyone who either remebered or checked what she initially posted.

I hope I'm not wandering into the realm of nasty posting when I say that this was really bad form.

I also think it's too bad that JMFD, who posted an innocent question seems to be feeling the heat for this. I hope she hasn't been driven off.

Rambling_Scribe
2005-04-06, 07:47 AM
Fermi problem time!

The amount of rope required to hang Belkar via the Long Drop.

[snip]
D (ft) = 1020 (ft.lb) / [m (lb) - mh (lb)]

Where D is Drop Distance, m is mass of victim, and mh is the mass of the victim's head.

D = ?
m = 30lb

As Belkar's head weighs more than his body, we will use his head in place of his body, and take the weight of his body away from his total weight instead of his head.

Maybe this actually means that Halfling's can only be hanged in reverse gravity fields with a negative length of rope?

ObadiahtheSlim
2005-04-06, 08:02 AM
Haley could be using one of the rogue's bows. She doesn't have to use her own. Elan can still use his bard buffs and V has only cast a few spells like invisibility.

Samantha has cast many of her spells defeating Haley, and will most likely get whomped.

Jaqrabbit
2005-04-06, 08:33 AM
Yet another good page here. Roy is definitely my favorite character, so it's been great getting to see him shine over the last 3 pages or so. Keep up the good work Rich!

Darasen
2005-04-06, 08:40 AM
Belkars expression iwhen he is "feeling kind of woozy" made me laugh enough that someone peeked in my office to make sure i hadn't lost my mind.

AtomicKitKat
2005-04-06, 08:58 AM
As Belkar's head weighs more than his body, we will use his head in place of his body, and take the weight of his body away from his total weight instead of his head. Judging from the comic, Belkar's head accounts for approximately 3/5ths of his mass, therefore

mh = 12lb

Danger Will Robinson! Danger! 12/30 != 3/5

Knight13
2005-04-06, 08:59 AM
Samantha has cast many of her spells defeating Haley, and will most likely get whomped.
You seem to be forgetting the huge number of spells a sorcerer can cast in one day. Plus, I doubt Sam had to cast that many spells to beat Haley. :P

Peldor
2005-04-06, 09:01 AM
I love the confidence-by-level Roy has in this one. "Yeah, I'm surrounded, but they're low level and I've got a bunch of hitpoints and a better thac0!"

Every strip Roy just gets better and better.

Janitor
2005-04-06, 09:11 AM
Peldor, your mind stuck in 2nd edition?

Anyways, great comic, I loved Belkar hanging upside down. And I loved all the animals. Although Durkon was missing from today's comic, I hope he appears in the next one.

Edalmri
2005-04-06, 09:14 AM
Roy's confidence is well-founded, he can probably take 'em all down in one round. Great Cleave! Hahahahahahahaha. ;D

Peregrinus
2005-04-06, 09:20 AM
You seem to be forgetting the huge number of spells a sorcerer can cast in one day. Plus, I doubt Sam had to cast that many spells to beat Haley. :P

Yeah, I saw Hailey's comment and though "you just made a critical mistake." Right... so she's cast a few of her spells for the day, that means didly squat against a sorceress... good luck Hailey...

Gez
2005-04-06, 09:24 AM
Haley could have taken that bow from the mustached blonde bandit Roy has bonked in the last panel of the second row. Although it is the same color as her bow in strip 160, and the bandits' bows in 165 are of a darker hue.

PokeTheBard
2005-04-06, 09:42 AM
Howdy, first time poster, blah-blah. Lovely to meet you all. Love the comic. Posts amusing... RIGHT! Now thats out of the way;

Aside from the Ye Olde Classick OotS comics which are nifty in themselves, this latest one (165 I believe...) is the bestest yet in my opinion.

Quick question though - Would it have been possible that Elan could have magically got Haley's bow back? Summon Instrument or something along those lines? Just a thought.

Ciao.

Ed: Which brings up the point, where is Elan's Lutey goodness?? How are they expecting to defeat a bunch of weak bandits and a Sorceress without irritating music?

Pvednes
2005-04-06, 09:43 AM
Danger Will Robinson! Danger! 12/30 != 3/5

True, 12/30 equals 2/5, which is Belkar's body, which we are using in place of his head for the drop distance calculation, as I said. ;)

Calculation ish correct!

Starla
2005-04-06, 10:55 AM
You know I remember when Shrek II came out and my husband and I looked at the website and saw all the trailers/previews for it. When we saw the actual movie we were a little dissappointed. Instead of trailers they felt like spoilers. We would have been better off going into the movie not knowing anything like we did with Shrek.
Today my reaction was "Oh someone predicted that" :-/
Therefore I feel I will probably not read anymore "predictions" here. I would much rather be surprised which also proves why the Giant probably feels the urge to change something someone may have predicted.
Great minds think alike but originality makes the world go round. :)

LadyGlutter
2005-04-06, 11:15 AM
You know I remember when Shrek II came out and my husband and I looked at the website and saw all the trailers/previews for it. When we saw the actual movie we were a little dissappointed. Instead of trailers they felt like spoilers. We would have been better off going into the movie not knowing anything like we did with Shrek.
Today my reaction was "Oh someone predicted that" :-/
Therefore I feel I will probably not read anymore "predictions" here. I would much rather be surprised which also proves why the Giant probably feels the urge to change something someone may have predicted.
Great minds think alike but originality makes the world go round. :)

I kinda felt the same way. I wish I had caught what the poster who gave away the spoilers was doing. If I had known them to be spoilers I would have been happier than just thinking, Hey, someone predicted that. I was cool with thinking, "Okay, Belkar's gonna turn blue, that girl accidentally was confused and let that much slip."

I think I'll keep on reading these threads, though, seeing that Rich seemed pretty unhappy with what happened. I bet the snafu doesn't repeat, and it's fun to read what people discuss ahead of time.

Maybe this actually means that Halfling's can only be hanged in reverse gravity fields with a negative length of rope?
Nah, it just means they should've tied his feet to those yellow bricks.

Victor_Von_Doom
2005-04-06, 01:51 PM
Wait, V has a ring of wizardry? ???

Lord_Jadawin
2005-04-06, 01:55 PM
I'm admittedly clueless about the 3.5 ruleset so maybe I am underestimating the power of a sorceror, but considering some of the things we've seen V do in the past and the fact that the other 4 should be able to handle the minions er... handily, what's stopping V from frying Samantha like a pork sausage?

PokeTheBard
2005-04-06, 01:58 PM
Wait, V has a ring of wizardry? ???

Yea, back in town when V was handing out the Magic Items, (and when Roy aquired his Bag of Tricks) V took "A Ring of Wizardry, pried from Xykons own charred finger bone" or something like that...

Can't remember the exact line but yea... its Xykons.

Qwernt
2005-04-06, 02:11 PM
Brilliant.
As Rambling_Scribe pointed out, they weren't phonebooks - they were yellow bricks to set up the aunty em related comment.

jokes within jokes, within jokes, within jokes

Victor_Von_Doom
2005-04-06, 02:25 PM
Yea, back in town when V was handing out the Magic Items, (and when Roy aquired his Bag of Tricks) V took "A Ring of Wizardry, pried from Xykons own charred finger bone" or something like that...

Can't remember the exact line but yea... its Xykons.
Oh my...
My memory does not work sometime :P

Peregrine
2005-04-06, 02:34 PM
I'm admittedly clueless about the 3.5 ruleset so maybe I am underestimating the power of a sorceror, but considering some of the things we've seen V do in the past and the fact that the other 4 should be able to handle the minions er... handily, what's stopping V from frying Samantha like a pork sausage?
We'll just have to see. I don't think this is going to turn out like Vaarsuvius versus Zz'dtri -- I smell a sorc vs wiz commentary coming on. Samantha's got a fair few more spells per day than V, not to mention spontaneity, but wizards get each spell level one class level sooner than sorcerers.

Of course, if Belkar was free, it might be that much simpler. He has a thing for stabbing the caster (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=107), after all. But I doubt Samantha's actually going to end up dead...

Banjo_Buddy
2005-04-06, 02:49 PM
So any guesses on Samantha's level?

If I'm reading the SRD correctly (and haven't yet :) ), Fly is a 3rd level spell for Sorcerers/Wizards, and those aren't available until 6th level. Even at 6th level, Sorcerers get 20 spells a day: 6+6+5+3. Only two of those top-level spells have been shown to be used, which means she has, at minimum, a 3rd level spell and lots of lesser spells.

And there's another place where the word "level" is used. A 5th level sorcerer can't cast a 3rd level spell until she goes up a level, which she might do by going down a level in the dungeon. Sheesh.

If I ever run D&D, I'm going to house rule that the word "rank" is used for spell levels. Or maybe degree, grade, position, stage, standard, or standing. (Gotta love www.thesaurus.com.)

AtomicKitKat
2005-04-06, 03:21 PM
So any guesses on Samantha's level?

If I'm reading the SRD correctly (and haven't yet :) ), Fly is a 3rd level spell for Sorcerers/Wizards, and those aren't available until 6th level. Even at 6th level, Sorcerers get 20 spells a day: 6+6+5+3. Only two of those top-level spells have been shown to be used, which means she has, at minimum, a 3rd level spell and lots of lesser spells.

And there's another place where the word "level" is used. A 5th level sorcerer can't cast a 3rd level spell until she goes up a level, which she might do by going down a level in the dungeon. Sheesh.

If I ever run D&D, I'm going to house rule that the word "rank" is used for spell levels. Or maybe degree, grade, position, stage, standard, or standing. (Gotta love www.thesaurus.com.)

Circle. ;D

Brilliant.
As Rambling_Scribe pointed out, they weren't phonebooks - they were yellow bricks to set up the aunty em related comment.

jokes within jokes, within jokes, within jokes

What Aunty Em joke? There IS a joke in there involving Yellow Bricks alright, but it's a little twistered(and yes, that's a pun, not a typo)

It's the Wizard of Oz, in reverse.

Belkar was on Yellow Bricks, then he left them, got turned upside down, and now he's seeing Aunt Judy(Garland)

Qwernt
2005-04-06, 03:38 PM
Circle. ;D

What Aunty Em joke? There IS a joke in there involving Yellow Bricks alright, but it's a little twistered(and yes, that's a pun, not a typo)

It's the Wizard of Oz, in reverse.

Belkar was on Yellow Bricks, then he left them, got turned upside down, and now he's seeing Aunt Judy(Garland)
Yep, that is the joke within the joke - the Judy part was the part that many people might skip over.

All in all, what I have come to expect from OOTS - lots of funny and then when you think harder - even funnier.

Starbuck_II
2005-04-06, 04:04 PM

Probably dispel magic. You see Dispel magic can be used to sometimes (have to roll that caster check) dispel any spell thrown at you. A Sorcerror has enough slots to dismantle at least higher level slots of V.

So that leaves level 2 and 1, plus cantrips V can blast with. Looking at the use of Dispel magic...V has a whole lotta trouble.

Porter
2005-04-06, 04:12 PM
Yes, sorcerers get many spels per day, but they do not know too many.

Maybe Roy, knowing everyone was about to hung, scooped up some weapons for everyone along the way.

Nikolai_II
2005-04-06, 04:48 PM
Maybe Roy, knowing everyone was about to hung, scooped up some weapons for everyone along the way.

Seeing as he didn't know that they were about to be hanged that would have had to be some pretty fast scooping indeed. ;)

I think it is more about most players wanting their stuff back when adventuring - i.e. for the enjoyment of all you never steal their stuff for long..

Porter
2005-04-06, 04:52 PM
Ok, maybe on his entire trip to save 'the entire rest of the party' he realized how stupid it is not to have a weapon and took every weapon he could get his hands on, and they just came in handy.

Peregrine
2005-04-06, 05:18 PM
Maybe Elan could just grapple Samantha? ;D Makes V's job a lot easier, and he doesn't need his rapier.

(Haley might just fumble a Precise Shot at that point, though.)

Zod
2005-04-06, 05:56 PM
Knowing Elan, he would grapple Samantha. Dear god, I hope that happens. Then Haley will probably do something stupid in her anger. Meanwhile, Belkar is there, woozy as a hippie.

Kaerou
2005-04-06, 06:26 PM
V: Counterspell
Haley: Shoot
Elan.. keep the low archers busy or free Belkar.
Roy: Beat up the fighter dad.

She's a sorc, she cant win. ALternatively V could cast spells, and if she's counterspelling she'll be losing her turns.

Wanderer
2005-04-06, 07:07 PM
The fact is that Samantha can do far more of any one type of spell than V can. V is stuck with EXACTLY what he prepared, and he didn't know he was going to end up in a caster VS caster battle today. That means some of his stuff (like, say, explosive runes) is going to be pretty useless in this fight.

Samantha, on the other hand, can just dump out fireballs and lightning bolts by the truckload.

Hmm... what I'm about to mention may be a house rule where I've played, since I'm not seeing it offhand in the PHB, but then again that doesn't necessarily mean anything. Anyway, in the games I've played, suppose a sorcerer has used up his or her third level spell slots, but still has some fourth and fifth level ones. If the sorcerer chooses, he or she can use one of those slots to cast a third level spell instead of the fourth or fifth level spell it would normally be used for. This, of course, can only be done with spell slots of higher level than the spell you want to cast.

Our DM has a way of sneaking in house rules and treating them like perfectly normal rules, so I don't know if that's real or not. If it is, Samantha can EASILY slaughter V. If it isn't, odds are that she still has more fireballs than V has Dispels.

Of course, Roy is going to slaughter those archers. That's an attack of opportunity if one of them tries to shoot, and Roy has great cleave. So dead. So, if V can just keep the psycho mage chick on the ground for a few rounds, Roy can get up close and show why casters should not be on the front lines of a battle.

Porter
2005-04-06, 08:42 PM
I am pretty sure it is in thr rules somewhere. We use the same rules, you can use a lvl 4 slot for a lvl 3 slot, or any lvl slot for any lower lvl spell.

cyberkitten
2005-04-06, 08:56 PM
"Aunt Judy? Is that you?"

:oCHARACTER DEVELOPMENT :o

:DBelkar Has An Aunt:D

(Who Aperently Has His Sense Of Morality.)

"Chaos? Destruction? Needless carnage? Sounds like my kind of party!"

(I'm Quoting From Memory, So It Might Be A Little Off.)

::)Please, Giant! Make A Comic With Aunt Judy! ::)

(Or Not, What Ever Makes You Happy...)

Zherog
2005-04-06, 09:14 PM
That's not a house rule, Wanderer. Any caster can opt to cast a lower level spell in a higher spell slot.

Wanderer
2005-04-06, 09:21 PM
Ah good. I didn't THINK it was, but I couldn't find any mention of it in the corebooks, so I wasn't sure. Perhaps I just wasn't looking in the right section?

Kish
2005-04-06, 10:26 PM
The fact is that Samantha can do far more of any one type of spell than V can. V is stuck with EXACTLY what he prepared, and he didn't know he was going to end up in a caster VS caster battle today.
Unless, of course, s/he knew a large group of enemies like the bandits was certain to include (if not be led by) a powerful arcane caster.

We also don't know what spells Sam knows, just that she's two-for-two when it comes to single combat with rogues. Dispel Magic is not a spell she would have used there. Lightning Bolt or Fireball--probably not, they're rather indiscriminate for single combat and she probably didn't want to set the forest ablaze while she has to live in it. :P

Arturius
2005-04-06, 10:33 PM
It seems to me Belkar might have better chances of surviving the suffication if he used his Rage. He'd get a strength bonus which might allow him to break through the ropes, or simply last longer with the con bonus.

Tharivol
2005-04-06, 11:08 PM
Uh, Belkar's not dead. And he's not suffocating.

Namur
2005-04-06, 11:23 PM
The giving up a higher spell slot for a lower leveled one isn't a house rule no. It's mentioned on page 178 top right for wizards / sorcerers and page 180 on the left for wisdom casters.
On the other hand that only mentions that you can opt to fill a level 4 slot with a level 3 spell. It doesn't mention a sorcerer can give those up mid-fight and I can't find that anywhere.
So it seems to me that you officially have to prepare yourself like that and can't just decide to do it on the fly so to say.

Arturius
2005-04-06, 11:26 PM
I......could've sworn I didn't say Belkar was dead. What with my not typing that in and all. Upon rereading the comic in question, no he's not sufficating. My bad. But my suggestion to use rage is still valid.

Porter
2005-04-06, 11:35 PM
Technically, yes, rage will help him. Good luck breaking the ropes with those few str bonuses though, but, if he is loosing life, the extra hp will help him survive longer. I do not think he is losing life though, just having blood rush to his head. Making him feel woozy.

Tharivol
2005-04-06, 11:35 PM
Oops, I misread that. I thought it said "would have had a better chance..." My mistake :-[

Porter
2005-04-06, 11:49 PM
And yet, and yet I wonder. I wonder...

Ok, remember when Haley read that letter about her father needing 200,000 gp or die or something like that. I wonder what her father did? I wonder what kind of man her father is? (career criminal maybe?) I wonder if we have another side quest comming up sometime soon. I wonder if the party will ever learn about Haleys father needing that money. I wonder if her father will soon again need more money?

Wanderer
2005-04-06, 11:50 PM
The giving up a higher spell slot for a lower leveled one isn't a house rule no. It's mentioned on page 178 top right for wizards / sorcerers and page 180 on the left for wisdom casters.
On the other hand that only mentions that you can opt to fill a level 4 slot with a level 3 spell. It doesn't mention a sorcerer can give those up mid-fight and I can't find that anywhere.
So it seems to me that you officially have to prepare yourself like that and can't just decide to do it on the fly so to say.

But remember, sorcerers don't prepare ANYTHING. Every spell they cast is chosen mid-fight, so to speak. Unlike a wizard who says things like, "I have three fireballs and three lightning bolts prepared," a sorcerer would say, "I have six third level spell slots." A wizard would have to say "I'm choosing to use one of my third level slots to prepare Web, because I've been needing it so much." A sorcerer would simply go into the battle, and if he ran out of second level slots for Web, he'd just cast it using a third level slot. Since his spell slots don't have to be allocated to specific spells ahead of time, he can do that.

goblin
2005-04-07, 12:04 AM
And yet, and yet I wonder. I wonder...

Ok, remember when Haley read that letter about her father needing 200,000 gp or die or something like that. I wonder what her father did? I wonder what kind of man her father is? (career criminal maybe?) I wonder if we have another side quest comming up sometime soon. I wonder if the party will ever learn about Haleys father needing that money. I wonder if her father will soon again need more money?

the only things we know for sure is that her daddy was a first edition thief, and that he likes her to keep her bedroom tidy :)

Spaz
2005-04-07, 12:08 AM
It also makes you wonder when Haley stopped "embracing everything her elders despised" and took up the family trade like her Dad.....but you are right Porter there is definitely a side quest there if the Giant wants to take it

ekedolphin
2005-04-07, 12:50 AM
"Can we save the social commentary for the post-match wrap-up?" Hee, Roy.

SITB
2005-04-07, 02:23 AM
Question: Since Haley and folks attacked at night and were captured and were to be executed the next day and since it is now dawn doesn't that mean that Samantha has replenished her daily amount of spells?

I thinks V is in a disadvantge here since s\he prepeared spells for delving the forest not charge into the bandit camp. Bah, the whole scenario of sleep because of the phases of some distant objects is confusing me.

Kish
2005-04-07, 02:29 AM
Question: Since Haley and folks attacked at night and were captured and were to be executed the next day and since it is now dawn doesn't that mean that Samantha has replenished her daily amount of spells?
Not if she didn't rest between the duel and the execution.

Tharivol
2005-04-07, 02:45 AM
And Haley would know if she didn't: She was there the whole time. Remember that what was happening to Roy, Durkon, and the rest of the OotS were probably happening at the same time. So just because there were a number of comics between Sam beating up Haley and Roy seeing them at the gallows doesn't necessarily mean that that much time passed.

Nikolai_II
2005-04-07, 05:10 AM

Not according to the Recent Casting Limit/Rest Interruptions ;)

If a wizard has cast spells recently, the drain on her resources reduces her capacity to prepare new spells. When she prepares spells for the coming day, all the spells she has cast within the last 8 hours count against her daily limit.

and

As with wizards, any spells cast within the last 8 hours count against the sorcerer’s or bard’s daily limit.

;D 8)

[edit: Ops, had turned smileys off ???]

Porter
2005-04-07, 05:18 AM
Those last two quotes, could you please cite sources.

PokeTheBard
2005-04-07, 05:19 AM
Pfft! Like it matters? ;D

The bandits in general don't want to fight, so they are going to put up a poor fight anyway, that leaves ONE teenage girl to fight an experienced party of five.

Can't see her lasting long. Especially since back in comic #106 (I think) the Stickmeisters had to fight a much larger quantity of monsters.

From past Experience, lots of low level monsters is more of a threat than a few the same level. (assuming they can hit you) ;)

Ciao.

Porter
2005-04-07, 05:23 AM
I still want sources for gamming purposes.

AtomicKitKat
2005-04-07, 05:45 AM
I still want sources for gamming purposes.

PHB, 178 and 179. Should have been obvious where to look, there's this thing near the front of the book called a Contents page. ;)

Edit: And an index and glossary near the back.

SITB
2005-04-07, 06:00 AM
Still since Haley's company sneaked in at night and a day has passed as you can see here (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=163). I would presume that Samantha had slept throught the rest of the night. Although they are scheduled to die in dawn; we don't know at what time they sneaked in and thus she may have slept 8 hours.

Nikolai_II
2005-04-07, 07:35 AM
we don't know at what time they sneaked in and thus she may have slept 8 hours.

We do know that night had fallen when they snuck in and the 'duel' in question came later, and we know that dawn has recently arrived, so I guess it all boils down to - are nights longer than 9 hours or not?

Looking at the terrain (and a bit at outdoor monsters) I would say that the climate zone is temperate, which is far enough north that seasons will affect the lenght of day and night in a significant manner.

Looking at the trees I would say that it definitely isn't winter, autumn or spring, but it is also not far north (not coniferous forests)

So - assuming month of June and about the same latitude as Berlin, then the night will be <8 hours long ;)

(Assuming same latitude as Paris and June 7th the night will be 8h 3min, which could be enough? :P)
(which it isn't, since a sorcerer also needs 15 minutes of R&R [rest & refocus] to actually regain the slots, so the night would need to be at least 8½ hour long.. which it of course could be, so the plot will tell us what happens.. ;)

I found a fun place for fiddling with the sun while checking this - enjoy ;)
http://www.jgiesen.de/sunplotter/

-

@Porter
The SRD is online in many places
Here - http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/srd35
Here - (soveliors page seems down, so I won't post that link now)
and here - http://www.d20srd.org/

My quotes were from here -
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/arcaneSpells.htm#preparingWizardSpells
and here -
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/arcaneSpells.htm#sorcerersAndBards

ObadiahtheSlim
2005-04-07, 08:43 AM
Nikolai_II, your logic is flawed. The night moves at the speed of plot. If the giant wanted the night to be long enough for Samantha to regain her spells then the night was long enough. If the giant wants Samantha to have the spells cast when she was fighting Haley count against her availible slots, then the night wasn't long enough.

Caelestion
2005-04-07, 09:48 AM
Well, like I said before, rationalising OOTS may be fun, but it's a waste of time! Anyone who can say "later that evening" and have it WORK, clearly shows that strict game rules either don't apply or are secondary to the universal axiom of PLOT.

And, OT, Dela-where? (Putting it in your sig line is just asking for it, literally!)

Cael.

Peregrinus
2005-04-07, 10:01 AM
All in all, considering that Sam seems to have trounced Hailey in single combat, my guess is that she's at least a few levels higher than any single party member...

In a weird twsited way, I kinda want Sam to win... then again, I have a soft spots for Sorcs...

Peregrine
2005-04-07, 10:03 AM
So does Elan, it seems. ;D I'm giving up on speculating how it might, or even pondering how I'd like it to, turn out -- I just want to read it already! I haven't anticipated the next comic like this since Xykon's throne room...

PokeTheBard
2005-04-07, 10:32 AM
I for one am really looking forward to the next strip. Is it just me but did 165 look like it should have ended by fading into some music like something outta Top Gun lol?

RawBearNYC
2005-04-07, 11:07 AM
Well, like I said before, rationalising OOTS may be fun, but it's a waste of time! Anyone who can say "later that evening" and have it WORK, clearly shows that strict game rules either don't apply or are secondary to the universal axiom of PLOT.

And, OT, Dela-where? (Putting it in your sig line is just asking for it, literally!)

Cael.

Your statement would suggest that something being fun isn't enough to make it "not a waste of time". That would make many passtimes wastes of time. That's technically true. But it would include gaming. Playing D&D would be a waste of time. Reading the Order of the Stick would be a waste of time (and many of our bosses would agree with that one).

But we do what we enjoy, because it adds value to our lives. There's a long standing tradition to break down the logic behind fiction amongst geeks. Go to a Sci Fi convention sometime for an object lesson.

Tho, you may not see the value of it, clearly someone does. One man's meat is another man's poison.

Nikolai_II
2005-04-07, 11:13 AM
Nikolai_II, your logic is flawed. The night moves at the speed of plot. If the giant wanted the night to be long enough for Samantha to regain her spells then the night was long enough. If the giant wants Samantha to have the spells cast when she was fighting Haley count against her availible slots, then the night wasn't long enough.

That was actually what I meant with -

the night would need to be at least 8½ hour long.. which it of course could be, so the plot will tell us what happens.. ;)

Haha ;D

(Although I guess I should have tried to be clearer.. :P)

Pharazon
2005-04-07, 01:00 PM
@ everybody talking about resting, preparing spells, the length of night... remember Haley's quote in the latest comic: "And you've already cast spells today." Now there is a chance she's referring to Sam already being in flight, and it is also possible that she's lying or has a poor grasp of time (although Sam did not deny the statement), but I think it most likely that this implies not that many hours have gone by, and that Haley's statement is indeed right in that Sam doesn't have all her spell(slot)s filled up/prepared/whatever.

Also, keep in mind that Haley, Belkar and V did not confront/duel Sam at the beginning of night, for as you can see in the background, all comics from 156 (Elan's sneaking out for flowers and candy) took place in the same night. Now I don't know how 'easy' Sam is, but I don't think that that little time passed since comic 156.

Aemirai
2005-04-07, 01:29 PM
As for the weapons, if you look closely, you can see Haley's bow and Elan's scabbard when they are tied up in the early panels of #165. Apparently, Sam was a little overconfident that they wouldn't be able to escape. :)

PokeTheBard
2005-04-07, 01:37 PM
A true Gentleman/Lady waits until AFTER death before looting ;D

Ciao.

GeeVee
2005-04-07, 01:41 PM
Aaargh, It's almost 6: PM at my place and no OOTS! Gee needs his daily amount of funneh!

Nikolai_II
2005-04-07, 01:51 PM
Aaargh, It's almost 6: PM at my place and no OOTS! Gee needs his daily amount of funneh!

The schedule has been 'Monday-Wednesday-Friday' for a few weeks already.. make sure you haven't missed anything. (And the comic will probably be up in about 18 hours from now, give or take ;))

Kish
2005-04-07, 01:57 PM
Still since Haley's company sneaked in at night and a day has passed as you can see here (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=163).

That doesn't indicate a day has passed. It just indicates that Roy shows up at dawn. Did you mean "and the sun is up now as you can see"?

I would presume that Samantha had slept throught the rest of the night.

I would be more inclined to think she probably ordered them executed immediately and the entirity of the time between her defeating Haley and dawn was taken up with getting the gallows set up as Roy found it.

The_Shadow
2005-04-07, 02:39 PM
All in all, considering that Sam seems to have trounced Hailey in single combat, my guess is that she's at least a few levels higher than any single party member...

Piffle. She doesn't have to be higher level to take out a thief who can't hit her or otherwise reach her. Giant described the fight for us...

SITB
2005-04-07, 03:24 PM
She is a boss enemy. What would be the point of putting underleveled bosses?

Kish forgive my barbaric understanding of time but I was sure that if there is night and after it you can see the sun rise then the conclusion is that a day has passed.

Also since they were tied and left in a tent somewhere in the camp I would presume that they were not excuted immediatly. Also I think Samantha would hang them in the morning so allmost all of the bandits could "Lo and Behold" her prowess(Besides she seems the type).

AtomicKitKat
2005-04-07, 03:55 PM
She is a boss enemy. What would be the point of putting underleveled bosses?

Kish forgive my barbaric understanding of time but I was sure that if there is night and after it you can see the sun rise then the conclusion is that a day has passed.

Also since they were tied and left in a tent somewhere in the camp I would presume that they were not excuted immediatly. Also I think Samantha would hang them in the morning so allmost all of the bandits could "Lo and Behold" her prowess(Besides she seems the type).

As Jackie's Uncle would say, "daylight not important, only passage of time important."

In this case, you need some understanding of the relationship between magic and time in D&D. You have only so many spells in any 24 hour period. You must not do anything strenuous(in theory, you could be night watch for 4 hours, if you're an elf) for 8 hours prior to spell preparation(and then you take anywhere up to an hour or so to actually prepare) Assuming it's not a "hanging at high noon", less than 8 hours have passed, and even if you count that, you still have to note that less than 24 hours have passed since the midnight duel. What does this mean? Simply, Sam has not recovered slots expended in the last 24 hours.

SITB
2005-04-07, 04:03 PM
You see, by day I meant(Or at least in this recent post): Monady, Sunday etc...

Also I conclude the point. You are probably right about the timelines.

The_Shadow
2005-04-07, 07:21 PM
I just realized. "Truly, he was the best of us."

Boy, is V laying it on thick or what?! :)

Lilly
2005-04-07, 07:39 PM
She/He needs extra XP for scribing scrolls ;)

Priceless_Ming
2005-04-07, 07:42 PM
Well, if Elan's the Heart and Soul of the team, than Belkor's the canines.

Rambling_Scribe
2005-04-07, 08:17 PM
As for the weapons, if you look closely, you can see Haley's bow and Elan's scabbard when they are tied up in the early panels of #165. Apparently, Sam was a little overconfident that they wouldn't be able to escape. :)

I've looked at this a couple of times. I think what you are referring to is actually the dangling cut-off ends of their nooses.

Freeman333
2005-04-07, 08:55 PM
The fact that V calls Belkar "the best of us" with a perfectly straight face--not even looking worried like the other two commentators--makes me imagine that line being delivered in a perfect monotone, with both face and voice completely expressionless. That, to me, is very funny.

Also--at the risk of setting up a bunch of obvious dirty jokes--the way the Giant draws a stick-beaver just cracks me up. It's like two potatoes tied together.

"Rat! Other rat!" That other rat has got to be going, "Oh, so I'm 'other rat' now, am I? Don't even rate a designation all my own, huh? The druid's union will hear about this..."

RBPRX1204
2005-04-07, 09:50 PM
Wouldn't projectile vomit be a possible distraction to casting a spell for a magic user? Just wondering. ;D

Arian
2005-04-07, 11:33 PM
I just realized. "Truly, he was the best of us."

Boy, is V laying it on thick or what?! :)

I think it's a 'nil nisi bonum' thing. You don't speak ill of the dead, not even when 'the dead' is Belkar. :-)

Porter
2005-04-08, 03:08 AM
Ok, about the "Recent Casting Limit/Rest Interruptions. The cycle of a wizard goes something like this. Eight hours of rest. Wake up, prepare spells. What the portion with said title on page 178 of the PHB is saying is that if one casts a spell during the time they should be sleeping, it counts against the number of spells they can cast the next day. So it is not just any eight hours, it is the eight hours that one should be sleeping.

Yuki Akuma
2005-04-08, 05:03 AM
Ok, about the "Recent Casting Limit/Rest Interruptions. The cycle of a wizard goes something like this. Eight hours of rest. Wake up, prepare spells. What the portion with said title on page 178 of the PHB is saying is that if one casts a spell during the time they should be sleeping, it counts against the number of spells they can cast the next day. So it is not just any eight hours, it is the eight hours that one should be sleeping.

No. It's the eight hours before casting your spells.

You don't have to prepare your spells right away when you get up. You can leave it for a while. The rule is there to stop people casting all their spells from the day before, then filling up their spell slots afterward.

Porter
2005-04-08, 05:14 AM
Ok, poor wording.

The eight hours when one would ussually be sleeping. If I understand correctly, you can only prepare spells after twenty-four hours pass from the last time you do it, or, to do so before twenty-four hours expire, one must rest for eight hours.

Now, to do it twenty-four hours after the previous time withought sleeping, I think one would end up being fatiuged.

Porter
2005-04-08, 06:05 AM
Relax, speaking is a free action.

LMAO!!!!!! Thats awsome.
A couple times, me and commrades have come up with very complicated plans and tactics (ones that took us 5 minutes or more to come up with) while in-combat simply because talking is a free action.

Now;

Enter Belkar:
(Choir in background) Here he comes to save the DAY!

Awsome comic Rich, absolutly supurb. Made my day.

I think that Belkar, even though bound, is feeling up the 'hot chick'. I mean, look at that expression.

What level is the spell "Create Advil"? I think Belkar will need some. Who would be able to use that spell? V or Durkon?

The Glyphstone
2005-04-08, 06:14 AM
hehehehehehe..giggle.

One of the best yet, but then, that applies to every single comic. "Tetherball special...."..snicker.

Whamme
2005-04-08, 06:31 AM
So good.

Now. How much damage does the tetherball special DO?

Porter
2005-04-08, 06:41 AM
I am not so sure if it would do any damage at all. At least no huge amounts of damage. But I am pretty sure it will serve as an attempt to knock her off-balance, and as a distraction, meaning she will need to make a concentration check for her next spell. Not only for being hit, but also for loosing balance.

Yuki Akuma
2005-04-08, 06:45 AM
If Elan pushed Belkar as hard as he could, I'd say it'd do.. like, 1d3 damage..

How hard is a halfling's skull, anyway?

Porter
2005-04-08, 06:49 AM
I would say 1d3-2 I mean, if she were standing on the ground, thats one thing, but she is in mid-air. Granted she has to try and keep her balance, but there is nothing keeping her in place, too much give for there to be any real damage.

Porter
2005-04-08, 06:50 AM
How hard is a halfling's skull, anyway?

I would say it is exactly as hard as a humans skull.

lol, Belkar.

PokeTheBard
2005-04-08, 07:06 AM
Lol, notice how Roy didn't order Elan to do anything, not that he regards Elan as completely useless or anything ;)

I've never seen so many Counterspells... V must be bored with that stratagy though, surely?

I think the expression on Belkar's face is largely down to the high he'd be getting from the rush in his head due to the masses of blood... i'm not even sure he realises he touched the "hot chick".

I'm kinda surprised Haley isn't doing a little more, but then its Dwarfs that hold grudges not humans... oh but she IS a woman ;D

Ciao

Pvednes
2005-04-08, 07:16 AM
One does of course wonder what Dad's doing throughout this.

Nikolai_II
2005-04-08, 07:24 AM
One does of course wonder what Dad's doing throughout this.

Probably busy taking Durkon as a hostage.. :P

Janitor
2005-04-08, 07:56 AM
I loved it. Poor Belkar though. Great comic. I'm wondering where Dad and Durkon are, hopefully not killing each other.

Shatteredtower
2005-04-08, 07:59 AM
Okay, I can see Belkar in the Wolverine role, but there's just something about the idea of Elan as Colossus that-

What?

Oh, Tetherball Special!

Never mind... ;D

AtomicKitKat
2005-04-08, 08:30 AM
Okay, I can see Belkar in the Wolverine role, but there's just something about the idea of Elan as Colossus that-

What?

Oh, Tetherball Special!

Never mind... ;D

Err, wha-?