PDA

View Full Version : Bad Movies: One of Life's Guilty Pleasures

Oracle_Hunter
2008-01-23, 01:14 AM
Bad Movies... you've seen them as filler on TV, spoofed on MST3K, and maybe seen a few at your local cinema. This thread is designed to talk about your favorite B-Movies, why you like them, and why everyone must see them right away!

I'll start with Xanadu (http://imdb.com/title/tt0081777/), one of the last great musicals. It features not only Gene Kelly (http://imdb.com/name/nm0000037/) (a famous dancer from decades earlier), but Olivia Newton-John (http://imdb.com/name/nm0000556/) (of Grease fame) and all that was great about the early 80's. If in 20 years, I needed to explain to someone what the 80's were about, I'd show them Xanadu.

But why should you see it? Because it has the world's most awesome swing-hair band combo evar (http://youtube.com/watch?v=0eEOFvBdD2k) and some of the finest non-Disney American animation (http://youtube.com/watch?v=lRTVi7rH_zs&feature=related) (before it was swallowed by the Japanese). If you have no experience with this type of animation, know that it was incredibly trippy :smallbiggrin:

Did I mention the soundtrack was scored by the Electric Light Orchestra? What's not to love?

Semidi
2008-01-23, 01:44 AM
I was about to make this thread a few days ago, but got distracted. Wee! Another B-Movie lover.

Alright. I like B-movies. I like B-Horror movies a lot. The holy grail of b horror movies is of course, the Evil Dead series. My favorite is 1 followed by Army of Darkness, and 2. I love 1 because, they didn't know it was a joke yet. Army of Darkness is just so damn quotable.

See! Evil Dead 1, or at least Army of Darkness. I could care less about 2.

The Best/Worst B-Movie I've seen has to be Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter. The first line in the movie is, "where have all the lesbians gone?" Other famous scenes include: A grandiose-musical number, Jesus Christ fighting hordes of atheists, and of course, a necrophiliac using kidneys as boxing gloves.

SEE! Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter, but only if you can stand really bad dubbing, and a random plot (he teams up with Sancho the mexican wrestler?!?!)

Worst/Worse B-Movie: There is a movie out there called Barn of the Blood Llama. It's by far the worst thing ever filmed. It has a llama playing a keyboard with its tongue, Clive Barker, and a llama rape scene.

SEE! Barn of the Blood Llama--if you think you can stand it. Finding a copy is tough.

What else? , Rocky Horror, Troll 1/2, , Night of the Living Dead, most Godzilla stuff, most everything on this site (http://www.headinjurytheater.com/entertainment.htm).

Stuff like Snakes on a Plane, trying to capitalize on B-movie cult status doesn’t cut it.

SweetLikeLemons
2008-01-23, 01:56 AM
A few years ago, I was shopping at my local Walgreen's. On my way out, I stopped to rifle through the bargain movie bin, and found a copy of The Blob (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051418/). Let me tell you, it was $3.99 well spent.
It is actually not a bad movie. Campy, yes, but thoroughly enjoyable all the same. It has it all: a big scary monster, gruesome devourings, a heroic band of teenagers, screaming crowds fleeing in panic (Be warned, it also has a spectacularly annoying child actor. Fortunately he only has a few lines. He sure makes the most of them, though). It also has Steve McQueen (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000537/)! And an awesome theme song! And, if I remember right, it even has a question mark at the end! What's not to love?

Jerthanis
2008-01-23, 02:02 AM
Is this thread just for B-movies, or is it for all bad/guilty pleasure movies? Is there a difference in the definition?

Well, anyway. First of all, I can pretty much watch the 1960s Adam West Batman movie on endless repeat. I swear it never gets less funny. I maintain it's still the best Batman movie yet made, and I foresee it remaining as such for a long time.

The first Mortal Kombat movie was bad in a good way.

The Cutter with Chuck Norris was pretty awesome. It looked like it cost them about a hundred dollars to film, but I'm sure somehow it cost tens of millions.

Come to think of it, lots of action movies fall into this category. Pretty much anything by Stephen Segal, Chuck Norris or Van Damme is hilarious to watch.

OH, one movie that's so bad it's REALLY BAD is Omega Cop. Don't watch it. Or its sequel, Karate Cop. Unless you want to see Adam West use the pin of a grenade as a wedding ring. Or see sun-flares make people go crazy. Or experience a room lined with Christmas lights that's supposed to be a teleportation device. Or see a man chase a small child for five uninterrupted minutes of the movie's runtime. Or see a man jump into water and conspicuously lose his hat, shirt and shoes prior to the cut where he actually hits the water. (I guess he wasn't invested enough into the movie to actually get his shoes wet) Okay, I guess I'm saying you should watch Omega and Karate Cop if you like movies that are obviously not trying.

Icewalker
2008-01-23, 02:06 AM
That Xanadu video has some pretty impressive choreography, and good music.

Wow...Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter...that is ridiculous. I need to look into this.

kamikasei
2008-01-23, 02:18 AM
Jesus Christ: Vampire hunter was excellent; you've gotta love the TARDIS-like SUV full of approximately 300 atheists.

Around the same time I saw that, I watched The Calamari Wrestler (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0428662/). That was a good time for B-movies. A Japanese wrestler revitalizes his career by mystically transforming into a squid. "The belief that cephalopods can only live in the water is a preconception of limited minds!"

averagejoe
2008-01-23, 02:31 AM
Six String Samurai, or, as my friend put it, "The best bad moive ever." It does not get better than a guy who is basically Buddy Holly traveling around in a post apocalyptic world batteling cavemen, bowlers, the Soviet army, and (heavy metal) death in order to become king of Las Vegas. Also, that is one ripped midget.

Dhavaer
2008-01-23, 03:31 AM
The second Dungeons & Dragons movie. It was wonderful. It needs about fifty sequels, all of the same wonderfully mediocre quality.

factotum
2008-01-23, 03:38 AM
I've never actually seen the second D&D movie--wasn't the FIRST one enough of an offence against film-making? I mean, when one of the most restrained performances in your movie is turned in by Tom Baker, you have some SERIOUS issues. :smallwink:

Dhavaer
2008-01-23, 04:52 AM
I've never actually seen the second D&D movie--wasn't the FIRST one enough of an offence against film-making? I mean, when one of the most restrained performances in your movie is turned in by Tom Baker, you have some SERIOUS issues. :smallwink:

The second is infinity plus one times better than the first. It retains the one character worth anything (Damodar) and gets an otherwise entirely new cast, who are much, much better. Also, the story is less stupid, and it is much more faithful to the game (there's an actual party, for one thing).

kamikasei
2008-01-23, 05:01 AM
The second is infinity plus one times better than the first. It retains the one character worth anything (Damodar) and gets an otherwise entirely new cast, who are much, much better. Also, the story is less stupid, and it is much more faithful to the game (there's an actual party, for one thing).

Agreed. Though it's probably a heresy of some sort, when I watched the Dragonlance movie recently, I was strongly reminded of D&D2. Both were like highly dramatized actual campaign plots.

However, I wouldn't really call it a bad movie. It's just a halfway not-terrible movie in a niche where we have pretty low standards :smalltongue: .

SweetLikeLemons
2008-01-23, 05:02 AM
Six String Samurai, or, as my friend put it, "The best bad moive ever." It does not get better than a guy who is basically Buddy Holly traveling around in a post apocalyptic world batteling cavemen, bowlers, the Soviet army, and (heavy metal) death in order to become king of Las Vegas. Also, that is one ripped midget.

Omigosh, how did I forget about that movie? Six String Samurai is an awesome movie. You are right, it really doesn't get any better than that.

Now I want to watch it again.

Was death supposed to look like Slash?

Shademan
2008-01-23, 05:34 AM
The second Dungeons & Dragons movie. It was wonderful. It needs about fifty sequels, all of the same wonderfully mediocre quality.

ive trawled wikipedia now but i cant find ANYTHING about a second DD movie...

kamikasei
2008-01-23, 06:13 AM
ive trawled wikipedia now but i cant find ANYTHING about a second DD movie...

"Wrath of the Dragon God". It should certainly be listed on the page for the original. Direct-to-video.

Yeah, here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeons_%26_Dragons_2:_Wrath_of_the_Dragon_God) it is. Look under "followed by" on the sidebar for the first movie.

Archonic Energy
2008-01-23, 07:10 AM
The first Mortal Kombat movie was bad in a good way.

however the sequel was bad in a bad way!

i kinda like Dune...

and the Alien Vs Predator movie is just full of LOL...

KuReshtin
2008-01-23, 07:26 AM
I defninitely agree with Dune. I haven't seen that in ages, though. Must find it somewhere..

Also, one of my favourite bad movies that I can't stop watching whenever I run into it while channel hopping is Idle Hands.

You've got Jessica Alba as the love interest in danger, Vivica A Fox as the voodoo huntress, and Seth Green as a dead guy running about with a bottle embedded in his forehead.

Also, Harold and Kumar Get the Munchies/Go to White Castle (depending on what side of the pond you're on) is pretty bad/funny as well.

WalkingTarget
2008-01-23, 10:01 AM
Yeah, Dune is fun (saw it and thought "Wow, I bet this makes a lot more sense if you've read the book" so I went out and found a copy).

I like Streets of Fire (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088194/) a self described "rock and roll fable" that combines the styles of the 1950's with modern-day (when "modern-day" was 1983 :smallbiggrin: ).

Diane Lane is a popular singer who is kidnapped by Willem Dafoe and his motorcycle gang. Her manager, Rick Moranis, hires her old boyfriend to save her. The climatic scene features a street fight using railroad spike hammers.

Lots of music throughout (as several characters are musicians), including original work by Ry Cooder (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ry_Cooder) if you're familiar with his work. The movie's style makes it work for me.

Green Bean
2008-01-23, 10:07 AM
Well, for the holidays, you can't go wrong with Santa Clause Conquers the Martians. Even though very little conquering ever takes place, there's enough unintentional hilarity to make it worth your while.

mause
2008-01-23, 10:24 AM
haha I remember a couple staring, Denis Rodmman they were so bad they made laugh for a while...

BHAWWHAHAHAHAHA...

truemane
2008-01-23, 10:37 AM
Oh man. How much fun is THIS thread.

First of all, you need to cite the Holy of Holies for all B Movie Junkies:

PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE.

Ed Wood's Magnum Opus. There is no way to decribe the pure hilarity and entertainment value of this awful, awful film. Shaky background sets. No story. Random archival military footage. Performances that match the sub-basement dialogue. This bad boy's got it ALL.

Otherwise, there's Mafia vs. Ninja, the WORST martial arts film EVER made. The one time they fight a female ninja, she's wearing a pink ninja outift (of course) but in the close ups, its a man with eye-liner! So bad. SO bad.

Then you got your eighties bad stuff: Dungeonmaster is ALL good stuff about a guy sucked into a game-like universe and must survive with his wits and his arm-band computer. Electric Dreams about a guy who spills beer on his computer's keyboard and it comes to life. You got Yor, the Hunter from the Future, with the classic line "Damn talking box!"

Then there's Reefer Madness, the 'cautionary tale' of the evils of cannabis, showing clean-cut young kids smoking up and becoming crazy, sex-crazed killers. An absolute MUST for anyone.

Anything by Russ Meyer. You are not allowed to call youself cool unless you've seen "Faster Pussycat! Kill! Kill!"

Oh man. The list is endless.

smellie_hippie
2008-01-23, 10:58 AM
Dead Alive and Bad Taste. Two epic piles of wonderfulness brought to you by Peter Jackson. Australian gore flicks that are absoluetly priceless... yes I own them both. :smallamused:

I'll have to give this thread some more thought later, but I wanted to point out that I have seen approximately 45% of the "100 Worst Movies of All Time" ... and have made it a resolution to complete the list this year. :smallbiggrin:

here's that list if you are interested.
linky (http://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/movie-pages/movie_worst.html)

enjoy

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2008-01-23, 11:22 AM
Worst/Worse B-Movie: There is a movie out there called Barn of the Blood Llama. It's by far the worst thing ever filmed. It has a llama playing a keyboard with its tongue, Clive Barker, and a llama rape scene.

SEE! Barn of the Blood Llama--if you think you can stand it. Finding a copy is tough.

OH SHOCK!! This movie is horrible and wrong. A buddy found it for me. GAH!!

F.H. Zebedee
2008-01-23, 11:47 AM
Oddly enough, the only live action musical I ever liked was the infamous Flop-Eye. I don't know why, it just amused me.

I enjoyed the heck out of Superman 4. Though it was moreso in the "So Bad it's Good" not in the "Underrated Gem" way.

averagejoe
2008-01-23, 02:14 PM
I'd just like to voice my opinion that the DnD2 movie was bad in a bad way. Any movie whose dialogue basically runs, "For our adventuring party we should take this eigth level barbarian, because her d12 hit dice mean she can take a lot of hits, and this elven mage, because her racial ability gives her a free spot check when passing by secret doors," gets a swift eyeroll and a truning off of the TV. Yes, it like a DnD campaign, but most DnD campaigns tend to be really stupid when told to you, even if they are fun when you're participating. Someone needs to tell this to filmmakers who make DnD movies.

Shademan
2008-01-23, 02:34 PM
tanx fer help, kamikasei.

i think that with a decent budget, and some DD geeks at their disposal, they couldve made a pretty good movie.
(they= the people who make movies)

Illiterate Scribe
2008-01-23, 03:38 PM
Riki-oh. No more need be said.

Rutee
2008-01-23, 07:37 PM

Six String Samurai is wintastic. Hence the quote in my sig. I liked how Death was Slash, personally.

Yami
2008-01-23, 08:20 PM
On the Subject of the D&D movies, I only really cared for the first one, and that's just becuase of the villian. They were both rather horrible, but the best part is listening to the director commentary.

Hmm, some good B movies, besides the classics... Well, speaking of holiday movies, My friends and I consider Die Hard to be the christmas movie.

Other than that I think the old classics like Godzilla are my favorites.

Darth Mario
2008-01-23, 09:12 PM
Plan 9 From Outer Space; Manos, Hands of Fate; Space Mutiny.

MST3K for the win.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-01-23, 09:20 PM
I'd just like to voice my opinion that the DnD2 movie was bad in a bad way. Any movie whose dialogue basically runs, "For our adventuring party we should take this eigth level barbarian, because her d12 hit dice mean she can take a lot of hits, and this elven mage, because her racial ability gives her a free spot check when passing by secret doors," gets a swift eyeroll and a truning off of the TV. Yes, it like a DnD campaign, but most DnD campaigns tend to be really stupid when told to you, even if they are fun when you're participating. Someone needs to tell this to filmmakers who make DnD movies.

Wait, but did you watch the "Making Of" featurette on the DVD? It showed all of these actors, professing they had never so much as heard of D&D, acting like they totally got into it while the movie was being filmed. It's almost as good as when Hilary Swank was quoted "The Making Of 'The Core'" that her favorite part of the movie was how accurate the science was.

Flabbicus
2008-01-23, 09:47 PM
D-War was a terrible movie that the producers are still trying to play off as good. It was pretty annoying when the people who were "seriously watching the movie" yelled at us for giggling in anticipation of the dragons. Let's not forget the part where they have a flashback within another flashback and later abandon their friend to no ill effects.

Oh right, and the main character gets shot and suffers no subsequent wounds from the bullet.

The line "You must insert the cube into my body" made Transformers for me.

Metal Head
2008-01-23, 09:56 PM
For some bizarre reason, I always loved the Lost in Space movie, even though everyone I know tells me that it sucks.

Muz
2008-01-23, 10:09 PM
Fortress (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortress_%281993_film%29) with Christopher Lambert. Fantastically badly hilarious...I still chuckle when I think of the word "intenstinator." :smallbiggrin:

Also, Virus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virus_%281999_film%29), about the Borg's messier cousins coming to a tugboat captained by Donald Sutherland. A friend of mine and I saw this in the theater knowing it had to be bad and hoping it would be funny bad. We weren't disappointed.

feghoot
2008-01-23, 10:12 PM
The Cross and the Swichblade (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068428/)is a horrible movie with good intentions, and I loved every minute of it.

Balkash
2008-01-23, 10:15 PM
Hypercube
Cube
Shoot 'Em Up

those are just some i've seen in the past week

North
2008-01-23, 10:30 PM
For some bizarre reason, I always loved the Lost in Space movie, even though everyone I know tells me that it sucks.

I liked Lost in Space. Go Matt LeBlanc. It could have been a lot better. But I enjoyed it when it came out.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-01-23, 10:54 PM
Fortress (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortress_%281993_film%29) with Christopher Lambert. Fantastically badly hilarious...I still chuckle when I think of the word "intenstinator." :smallbiggrin:

Christopher Lambert is key to any terrible film. My favorite of his would be Beowulf (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120604/). His best line in the movie was "I am not like other men. I need FOOD.... and REST!"

Another fabulous actor is Corey Haim, whose best film has to be Prayer of the Rollerboys (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102703/quotes).

In a post-apocalyptic 1980's, foreigners have repossessed America and the American people live in fenced in slums, Harvard has been transported to Hiroshima, and Germany bought Poland (I'm not making this up!). In these dark times a new cult of Badass Longcoats on Rollerblades known as The Rollerboys (*gasp!*) are trying to buy back America for the Americans.

They are lead by the charismatic Gary Lee, an arch-capitalist fascist (???) who apparently is behind a giant drug smuggling ring. But he is not as good (?) as he appears, and only his childhood friend (Corey Haim) can find out what it is before it is too late.

Featuring the "Day of the Rope," not one but TWO fake-out sex scenes, and the most intense rollerblade-chase sequence EVER FILMED!

averagejoe
2008-01-23, 11:15 PM

That movie gives me fond memory of my youth. I loved it, mainly because Matt LeBlanc's armor/gun attachments in that one part were so awsome. And I liked his spaceship in the opening sequence. Basically, that movie seemed really, really cool when I was young.

EvilElitest
2008-01-23, 11:41 PM
SEE! Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter, but only if you can stand really bad dubbing, and a random plot (he teams up with Sancho the mexican wrestler?!?!)

Dear...god..in heaven, what in gods name is that
from
EE

Haruki-kun
2008-01-23, 11:51 PM
Worst Movies I've ever seen:

Master of Disguise
Legally Blonde 2 (The first one made me laugh a little).

Icewalker
2008-01-23, 11:59 PM
Once me and my brother were channel-surfing, and came across a...spanish ninja movie.

:smalleek:

It was in Spanish, had some weird ninja in a metal mask chopping off arms, at one point he was kneeling over a dead guy, another guy approaching slowly from down the hall, (second guy is maybe 50 feet away) he scatters some caltrops, maybe 5 feet from himself, the guy approaches, and just before he reaches the caltrops, the ninja throws ball-bearings, and the guy falls face-first into them. It was pretty hilarious.

Then there is a girl chained up in a jacuzzi (?), and a like 9 year old kid tied up in a sauna, and he breaks out of his inch thick ropes, gets nunchucks somewhere, and takes down some 7+ ft. tall burly guy with ease. Then there is a ninja fight on the roof of the hotel.

EvilElitest
2008-01-24, 12:07 AM
Any Boll movie, 300
from
EE

Goats_o_Mjolnir
2008-01-24, 12:08 AM
A personal favorite B-movie series of mine would have to Night of the Demons.

Then of course there is Attack of the Killer Tomatos

Hawriel
2008-01-24, 12:28 AM
Last week I saw on TCM...

Death Race 2000 Its staring David Carradine and Sylvester Stallone. ITs a distopia setting whare Americas favorite sport is Death Race. The WWE personality race car drivers race across America running peaple over to score points.

and

Roller Ball A young James Caan is the best player in the Roller Ball sports. Another distopia setting whare corparations rule the earth. This movie has been copied off of many times. Dean Cain and LL Cool J did a movie called Future Sport that was pritty much a remake.

North
2008-01-24, 12:45 AM
Any Boll movie, 300
from
EE

300 Wasnt a bad movie!

But you enjoying Boll, well for that you must perish:smalltongue:

FoE
2008-01-24, 01:30 AM
Death Race 2000 Its staring David Carradine and Sylvester Stallone. It's a distopia setting whare Americas favorite sport is Death Race. The WWE personality race car drivers race across America running peaple over to score points.

That movie features the absolute worst pun in film history. It occurs when David Carradine reveals his plot to kill the President by setting off an explosion when they shake hands at the finish line. The girl who's with him examines Carradine's fake hand and notices that the explosive is embedded in his palm.

She asks: "Is that a grenade?"

His response?

"It's a hand-grenade!" :smalltongue:

Army of Darkness is my favourite B-movie of all time, but Evil Dead 2 cannot be counted out. Not with scenes like this, when the main character's hand gets possessed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKHBOCoqhfE&feature=related

WHO'S LAUGHING NOW?! :amused:

SweetLikeLemons
2008-01-24, 01:54 AM
Then of course there is Attack of the Killer Tomatos

My sister saw Attack of the Killer Tomatoes at a friend's birthday party when she was in about fifth grade. She told me for years what a great movie it was; it was the funniest movie ever, and I absolutely had to see it.

So finally, the Christmas before last, I bought the DVD for her, and we sat down to watch it. It was... disappointing. Maybe it was just that she had talked it up for so long that my expectations were far too high, but even my sister found it much less hilarious the second time around. As she put it, "This was much funnier when I was 11."

averagejoe
2008-01-24, 02:27 AM
Dear...god..in heaven, what in gods name is that
from
EE

Jesus Christ (http://youtube.com/watch?v=4LRIypcaIX4&feature=related) Vampire Hunter (http://youtube.com/watch?v=itWoHzL6n-w&feature=related).

Tyrant
2008-01-24, 02:43 AM
I'll have to give this thread some more thought later, but I wanted to point out that I have seen approximately 45% of the "100 Worst Movies of All Time" ... and have made it a resolution to complete the list this year. :smallbiggrin:
here's that list if you are interested.
linky (http://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/movie-pages/movie_worst.html)
enjoy

I've seen 47 of those movies. I own 6 of them and have seriously considered buying a few of the others in the discount bin at Walmart.

I'll second any vote for The Death Race 2000. I bought what I assume is a less than legal copy of that on DVD in a hotel lobby. Some other real winners:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087995/ Repo Man: Estevez is a wild youth who becomes a repo man in the early 80s. This movie is filled with generic items. When you see a beer, it doesn't have a real label. It simply says BEER in blue leters on a white can. Every other consumable product throughout the movie is like that. He is tutored in the ways of the Repo Man by Harry Dean Stanton in a sequence that goes between night and day a few times and culminates in the two of them doing speed off the dashboard as Stanton explains that all repo men are on speed. Along the way, a plot involving covert agencies and missing nuclear weapons pops up.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119642/ Mean Guns: If further proof was needed for the Christopher Lambert= b movie theory here it is. The entire plot to this movie is 100 killers are put into a prison and armed and told to kill each other. The last 3rd act bogs down a little, but outside of that, the whole thing is these guys (and gals) doing what they can to be the last. Like Highlander, there can be only one.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087015/ C.H.U.D.: Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dwellers. In case that isn't enough to convince you, the movie is about mutant homeless people under New York City that eat people. Out to stop/expose them are a reporter and cook at a homeless shelter. Standing in their way is a lobbyist who can pull important strings and wishes to flood the sewers with natural gas to kill them.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089907/ Return of the Living Dead: Virtually invincible zombies terrorize Louisville Kentucky after a secret army canister filled with Trioxin 245 is opened. The zombies are smart, can talk, and can run. The only way to destroy them is to burn them. Burning them releases the Trioxin which rises into the atmosphere until it hits clouds. Then it creates an acid rain like compond that burns through the ground and into coffins, awakening the dead within starting the whole cycle over again. You thought running zombies in Dawn of the Dead were a problem? These are much worse. All of this in the early 80's featuring a punk gang and medical supply warehouse employees. Also, a discalimer at the begining points out that the entire story is true and names and locations were not changed.

These are just ones I can think of off hand in my DVD collection. I would say there is a very real chance 1/4 of my DVDs fall into this category.

North
2008-01-24, 02:54 AM
Ive seen too many of those top 100

North is the 16th worst movie! Oh noes!

I agree with Battlefield Earth being absolutely terrible.

I liked Armaggeddon though. It was much much better then Deep Impact.

FoE
2008-01-24, 02:58 AM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089907/ Return of the Living Dead: Virtually invincible zombies terrorize Louisville Kentucky after a secret army canister filled with Trioxin 245 is opened. The zombies are smart, can talk, and can run. The only way to destroy them is to burn them. Burning them releases the Trioxin which rises into the atmosphere until it hits clouds. Then it creates an acid rain like compond that burns through the ground and into coffins, awakening the dead within starting the whole cycle over again. You thought running zombies in Dawn of the Dead were a problem? These are much worse. All of this in the early 80's featuring a punk gang and medical supply warehouse employees. Also, a discalimer at the begining points out that the entire story is true and names and locations were not changed.

The later films in the "Return of the Living Dead" series established the zombies could be killed by electrocution. In fact, that was the only way to safely dispose of them.

Anyone ever see Return of the Living Dead III? The one where the zombie chick has to keep mutilating herself to keep from feasting upon the living, as pain was the only thing that relieved her hunger? Man, she looked hot.

North
2008-01-24, 03:00 AM
The later films in the "Return of the Living Dead" series established the zombies could be killed by electrocution.

Anyone ever see Return of the Living Dead III? The one where the zombie chick has to keep mutilating herself to keep from feasting upon the living, as pain was the only thing that relieved her hunger? Man, she looked hot.

I liked how you ended that one, definitely not where I thought that was going:smallwink:

FoE
2008-01-24, 03:14 AM
Here's what Roger Ebert had to say about North, which he gave a rating of zero stars.

"I hated this movie. Hated hated hated hated hated this movie. Hated it. Hated every simpering stupid vacant audience-insulting moment of it. Hated the sensibility that thought anyone would like it. Hated the implied insult to the audience by its belief that anyone would be entertained by it."

I've never seen it, but I don't plan to. It has to be a truly awful film to get a bad rating by Ebert, who as a general rule gives every film at least some credit. The man liked Garfield, for crying out loud!

North
2008-01-24, 03:16 AM
Ouch. I saw North waaayyy back it was mehish. It came out in the whole kid movie phase ala Rookie of the Year.

Well at least the name sounds better then Capote :smallbiggrin:

averagejoe
2008-01-24, 03:26 AM
*ka-google!*

Oh, yeah, North. I saw that on TV once, or at least the last half. It was a long time ago, though. I had no idea it was that infamous. I mostly found it to be forgettable, evidenced by the fact that I had to google it.

FoE
2008-01-24, 03:27 AM
Don't worry, North, it's still not as much a disaster as, say, Battlefield Earth or Batman and Robin. :smallbiggrin:

Swordguy
2008-01-24, 03:38 AM
How about one nobody's heard of?

The Lord Protector (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116916/) (also released as "The Dark Mist". I have it only because it has SAFD Fight Master David Woolley (my first broadsword instructor) performing in one of the fights - and he's the sole brilliant point of thie excremental experience. It's terrible. Released in 1996, with state-of-the-art early 1960's SFX, acting that would have to be livened up with eighty-three kilos of cocaine to be called wooden, the latest and greatest porn-stars who failed at acting in their previous vocation as the female leads (rated PG-13, btw), and a story that Lewis Carroll would have called "so totally nonsensical as to be irrelevant".

Oh, and it's narrated by Charleton Heston. I don't know whether that falls in the plus or minus category.

It's available from Amazon for $0.94. It's wildly overpriced, but certainly worth a look. I suggest getting drunk, high, and lobotimized first, though. It'll complete your moviegoing experience.

Tyrant
2008-01-24, 04:01 AM
The later films in the "Return of the Living Dead" series established the zombies could be killed by electrocution. In fact, that was the only way to safely dispose of them.
The second one stated that, although they cleaned up with flamethrowers. The 3rd went back to fire. 4 and 5 are absolutely terrible in all senses of the word. They went with head trama. In part 2, along with the electorcution, they suddently became slow and mostly stupid again. 3 had a couple with somewhat functional braings and back to slow as well. 4 and 5 were slow and stupid except for the cyborg zombies with weapon arms. These movies have no internal consistancy beyond the fact they all have zombies that mostly come from Trioxin 245. So, when it comes to these movies, the title is the only connection I care to make to them.

Yes she did. Easily the highlight of the movie.

Jerthanis
2008-01-24, 01:02 PM
I don't know who decided on the order of that top 100 bad movies page. I mean, Bad Boys 2, a mindless action movie with some good adrenaline scenes was rated worse than Catwoman, Ernest Scared Stupid, Scooby Doo and Speed 2? Seems a little wonky to me.

I can't believe I forgot Six String Samurai, that one was pretty awesome. The only thing I didn't like was the ending.

Also: Bill Cosby's Ghost Dad was amazing if for just one scene, where Bill Cosby answers a phone call meant for his daughter from her boyfriend. When the bad boy boyfriend says, "Put the bitch on the phone." Bill Cosby gets angry and REACHES THROUGH THE PHONE to choke the boy, saying "PUT THE BITCH ON THE PHONE?" repeatedly.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-01-24, 02:07 PM
Here's what Roger Ebert had to say about North, which he gave a rating of zero stars.

"I hated this movie. Hated hated hated hated hated this movie. Hated it. Hated every simpering stupid vacant audience-insulting moment of it. Hated the sensibility that thought anyone would like it. Hated the implied insult to the audience by its belief that anyone would be entertained by it."

I've never seen it, but I don't plan to. It has to be a truly awful film to get a bad rating by Ebert, who as a general rule gives every film at least some credit. The man liked Garfield, for crying out loud!

Another great Ebert Quote (on Showgirls (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/showgirls/)): A waste of a perfectly good NC-17 Rating (http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/19950922/REVIEWS/509220306/1023).

Man, I love his reviews.

EvilJames
2008-01-24, 02:11 PM
The Deathstalker series (http://www.imdb.com/find?s=all&q=Deathstalker&x=20&y=9) their are four of them and all the ones after the first reuse clips form the previous movies, despite different actors playing the main character in each (except the fourth has the same actor as the first) as well as scenes from other movies by the same director. In fact almost any of this directors movies are worthy of a bad movie night with friends such as Barbarian Queen 1 (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088771/) and 2 (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103768/) as well as the Warrior and the Sorceress (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088379/)

even better is the movie that apparently tries to link all these movies together with scenes and actors from all three Wizards of the lost Kingdom 2 (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090334/)

Also awesome is the Ator series including starring Miles O'keefe in all but the fourth one (which I haven't seen yet)Ator, the fighting eagle (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085183/) The Blademaster (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086972/) aka, cave dwellers if you've seen MST3k (this one is great for all sorts of errors like sneakers on the bad guys and visible roads in the background) Iron Warrior (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093276/) (this one has a different director and he tried to make it an art house film so it's really weird but it rips off a whole bunch of other movies so it's fun to watch for that (The theme music is a slightly modifed star trek theme)
Quest for the mighty sword (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100448/) also known as Ator 3 because the old director hated the last one so much

Also terrible Manos Hands of Fate (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060666/) MST3k actually booed the ending the movies is bad

averagejoe
2008-01-24, 03:55 PM
I don't know who decided on the order of that top 100 bad movies page. I mean, Bad Boys 2, a mindless action movie with some good adrenaline scenes was rated worse than Catwoman, Ernest Scared Stupid, Scooby Doo and Speed 2? Seems a little wonky to me.

Agreed. I mean, it wasn't a good movie, but there are movies that were so much worse. Same with Wild Wild West, in my opinion. I didn't read all of the top 100 list, but at a glance it seemed not worth my time.

North
2008-01-24, 05:36 PM
Don't worry, North, it's still not as much a disaster as, say, Battlefield Earth or Batman and Robin. :smallbiggrin:

I still think Clooney could have made a decent Batman, if it wasnt for the absolute terribleness of that script and way too many characters going on.

averagejoe
2008-01-24, 05:39 PM
I still think Clooney could have made a decent Batman, if it wasnt for the absolute terribleness of that script and way too many characters going on.

And the latex nipples on his batsuit. :smalleek:

TheThan
2008-01-24, 10:18 PM
Last week I saw on TCM...

Death Race 2000 Its staring David Carradine and Sylvester Stallone. ITs a distopia setting whare Americas favorite sport is Death Race. The WWE personality race car drivers race across America running peaple over to score points.

and

Roller Ball A young James Caan is the best player in the Roller Ball sports. Another distopia setting whare corparations rule the earth. This movie has been copied off of many times. Dean Cain and LL Cool J did a movie called Future Sport that was pritty much a remake.

heck yeah, unfortunately I missed most of Death Race 2000, much to my dismay:smallsigh:

Peanut Gallery
2008-01-25, 03:15 AM
Jeepers Creepers and Jeepers Creepers 2.

I love the feel of the first movie, and the visuals in the second. I think the best part about the first movie was I watched it without having a clue what it was about.