PDA

View Full Version : Master of Many Forms, optimize!

Nazde Bahatur
2008-01-23, 10:31 AM
I ran into Master of Many Forms a couple of days ago.
Since i'm playing a druid, i thought it was a good idea to follow.
An excellent idea, to be precice!
So I need your help. Throw in any idea you have, any possible combo, any nice monster to polymorph into. Anything you know about it, anything you think that will help me.
Just anything.
I have yet to find a thread such as this, so feel free to link me with any analogous topic.

I am no Pun-Pun, but i want to be powerful.
Super-powerful.
Will you help me out?

GardenKeeper
2008-01-23, 10:37 AM
If you haven't read this already, it would be a good place to start:

MoMF Bible:
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=639448

Lots of good info about all aspects of the class, how to play it, and rules/errata on shape change.

Adumbration
2008-01-23, 10:37 AM
What level are you? What feats do you have? Master of Many Forms requires 2 feats (practically useless ones) for entry, Alertness and Endurance.

Bag_of_Holding
2008-01-23, 07:24 PM
I've always been thinking of this build:

Warforged with Adamantine Body
Ranger 5/Landforged Walker 5/MoMF 7/Warforged Juggernaut 3

As LW's Plant Shape functions just the same as Wild Shape ability, if I can convince the DM that it can qualify for MoMF, then I can WS into Wartroll, gaining its Regeneration ability at 7th level. 2 levels of WJ makes him immune to all nonlethal damage, which would be all but acid-based damage to him.

Of course, Druid 5/MoMF7 with some buffs can do the trick too though... :smallfrown:

Wordmiser
2008-01-23, 07:44 PM
As LW's Plant Shape functions just the same as Wild Shape ability, if I can convince the DM that it can qualify for MoMF, then I can WS into Wartroll, gaining its Regeneration ability at 7th level. 2 levels of WJ makes him immune to all nonlethal damage, which would be all but acid-based damage to him.Or you could just use the Wild Shape Ranger variant in Unearthed Arcana and qualify for MoMF at level 6 (also, Ranger 3 provides one of the required feats).

Talic
2008-01-24, 04:54 AM
I like (Wild Shape) Ranger 6/MoMF 2/Nature's Warrior 1/MoMF 3-10/(Lion Totem) Barbarian 1/Fighter 2

You can tag up Improved Grapple for the one on one big beefy's that the game likes. Combined with Nature's Warrior Serpent's Coils, it's effectively lose vs 1 critter each fight. That still allows you to go with lots of high BAB fighting action, and tends to work really well with ranger. Even better if your cavalier buddy likes riding dire tigers into combat.

BlackMage2549
2008-01-24, 07:20 AM
If you have "Fast Wild Shape" allowing you to change forms as a move action, and "Swift Wild Shape" allowing you to change forms as a swift, can you not Move Action change into a small bird, Standard Action to move above the bad guys, and Swift Action to change into something nasty, like a Combustion Ooze, landing on them? My DM and I talk about this fairly frequently.

Eloel
2009-02-11, 06:07 AM
If you have "Fast Wild Shape" allowing you to change forms as a move action, and "Swift Wild Shape" allowing you to change forms as a swift, can you not Move Action change into a small bird, Standard Action to move above the bad guys, and Swift Action to change into something nasty, like a Combustion Ooze, landing on them? My DM and I talk about this fairly frequently.

If you want to spend 2 uses of wildshape in 1 round, why not?

Zergrusheddie
2009-02-11, 08:16 AM
Master of Many Forms is powerful, but I do not think it is quite as powerful as a flat Druid. While you can shift into some truly terrifying things, you give up:

Spells: Druids have some of the strongest spells in the game. Summons double your damage and are capable of grappling spellcasters to lock them down. Also, Druids get super crazy buffs.
Animal Companion: You won't really give him up, but he'll be far weaker than if you had gone flat Druid. Your animal companion does about the same amount of damage as you and is subject to those buffs of your's.
Entry level feats: Alertness and Endurance as nigh useless feats. Feats are pretty scarce for most classes, so those 2 really hurt.

The Wildshape Ranger Variant is a perfect candidate for MoMF. They don't get that many spells anyway and their animal companions is not up to par anyway. My friend played as a WS Ranger-MoMF to great success. He would turn into something like a War Troll, used a Spiked Chain, and made a basic melee lockdown build with Stand Still. All you have to do is throw down the chain (Free Action), Shift, and than pick it up again. You could just as easily buy armor that would fit a War Troll and lug it around with you; just drop, Shift, and Don. You can also make a Charge monster with Power Attack, Shock Trooper, Rhino's Rush (Double damage on charge), and maybe gaining pounce through Lion Totem Barbarian. If you can stomach the idea of spending 5 feats, you can get:

Power Attack-Shock Trooper-Leap Attack-35 Strength w/rage (level13)
3d6+57, or 6d6+114 with Rhino's Rush. (3:1 ratio, and than double right?)
You would also have Regeneration, DR/5, SR20, and Dazing blow (DC25 on hit or be dazed). With Dazing Blow you even get a tiny little amount of Battlefield Control, though the damage you are dealing is probably what's going to control the battlefield.
Adding more things like Valorous Weapon Enhancement would just add more power. Basically, you give up the bonus feats and the HD of a Fighter to gain super strength and nasty additional benefits.

I'm no genius at making optimized builds, so any comments would be great.
Best of luck to y'all.
-Eddie

Adumbration
2009-02-11, 08:27 AM
Ahem, could you take a look at the date on this thing?

Optimator
2010-02-08, 07:54 PM
I'm glad the thread got revived; I have been inspired.