PDA

View Full Version : Pirates of the Burning Sea.

kkortekaas
2008-01-23, 11:09 AM
Do we have any other GiantIP fans playing? I've got a toon or two on the Bonny server France side anyways.

Errata
2008-01-23, 02:52 PM
I'm a Spanish Freetrader on Guadaloupe.

Premsyl
2008-01-23, 03:19 PM
Garrr! I wants to play! :smallmad:

LordVader
2008-01-23, 06:47 PM
This game looks great.

I'm being British if I ever get it: long live the Royal Navy! :smallbiggrin:

Timarvay
2008-01-23, 08:40 PM
Looks like fun. How much does it cost?

Errata
2008-01-24, 02:08 AM
Looks like fun. How much does it cost?

Similar to most commercial MMOGs these days. $50 for the box and first month, $15 for each additional month (or a few dollars less if you commit to more months at once). The box will get cheaper, but the subscription probably won't.

Really the cost is beside the point though, because MMOGs are all about time investment. The cost per hour of entertainment is less than going to the movies or buying a book, or possibly cable TV. The real question is is that how you want to be spending your time, or would you rather use your time doing something else. If you want to spend your time doing this, then you'll get your money's worth. If you don't, then its not worth it even if it was free.

Khanderas
2008-01-24, 09:51 AM
Really the cost is beside the point though, because MMOGs are all about time investment. The cost per hour of entertainment is less than going to the movies or buying a book, or possibly cable TV. The real question is is that how you want to be spending your time, or would you rather use your time doing something else. If you want to spend your time doing this, then you'll get your money's worth. If you don't, then its not worth it even if it was free.
So very, VERY true.

Driderman
2008-01-24, 01:15 PM
Seems like an interesting game, that I may actually invest in at some point even though I'm not much for mumorpugors :)

I was reading about it a bit and came across this entry:
"Every day, each nation receives victory points on the basis of its port holdings. The first nation to reach the goal is declared the victor, and celebrations and awards ensue. Then treaties are signed, ports revert to their original sides, and a new round of conflict begins."

What the hell?
So they've made a game where cities aren't static, but have decided that they should be static anyway... I'm sorely disappointed. Seems to me the game will revolve around conquering the same strategic settlements day after day, only to have them revert to their original side at midnight ( or some other arbitrary point)

warty goblin
2008-01-24, 03:02 PM
Seems like an interesting game, that I may actually invest in at some point even though I'm not much for mumorpugors :)

I was reading about it a bit and came across this entry:
"Every day, each nation receives victory points on the basis of its port holdings. The first nation to reach the goal is declared the victor, and celebrations and awards ensue. Then treaties are signed, ports revert to their original sides, and a new round of conflict begins."

What the hell?
So they've made a game where cities aren't static, but have decided that they should be static anyway... I'm sorely disappointed. Seems to me the game will revolve around conquering the same strategic settlements day after day, only to have them revert to their original side at midnight ( or some other arbitrary point)

While I see your annoyance, it seems like a neccessary piece of game design, otherwise if the one side started to win, it would never stop, and the game would lose any conflict/non-static elements at all, since one side would end up controlling all of the ports. In short, once a side gains much of an advantage, it seems to me to be likely that it would continue to grow from that advantage and squash all other sides. Once this occurs, any dynamic elements of the game will simply be rendered irrelevant.

Errata
2008-01-24, 03:08 PM
What the hell?

Its more like once a week rather than once a day, and a week is a long time in pvp. There are real advantages to holding ports, so if a temporarily winning side took control of the whole map for a while, it would cripple the other sides too much to recover from. At that point the server would essentially be dead with people leaving the crippled sides and the winning side getting bored with nothing to do.

There are real advantages to winning. Everyone on the winning side gets commendations, which you can turn in for advantages. If you turn in enough you get a bonus skill point, which is almost like getting an extra level above the maximum. So there really will be celebrations after winning the map, even if means its about to revert.

Controlling a port means your side can charge punitive taxes to the other side if they try to harvest resources or manufacture there. If you manage to take over an important shipyard this can really hurt their economy. If you manage to take over a port with a rare resource, it can really help your own nation's economy. If a dominant side is able to keep capturing it and holding it for 5 days out of the week, then its worth it for them to do so.

Crispy Dave
2008-01-24, 04:37 PM
im very interusted in this game once they offer a free trial ill be hopping on to try it out

Driderman
2008-01-24, 04:54 PM
Well, it makes more sense if the winning side gets to keep the port for a while, although a week still seems a bit short for me... Of course, I haven't actually played the game