PDA

View Full Version : Need some destroy undead + greater turning ideas

UMDPenguin
2008-01-23, 11:59 AM
ok, so our new campaign is about to start and i'll be playing a cloistered cleric/RSoP/sacred exorcist. needless to say i'll have tons of turn attempts. now, our DM uses the destroy undead rules instead of turning. (d6 per lvl damage in a burst, DC 10 + CHA +1/2 lvl will save for half damage.

well it looks like i'm gonna be the first person in his games to be using greater turning and we are trying to come up with some ideas on how to use it. any ideas would be a great help. also, i might be taking glory domain so we'd need a way to figure how that power works as well. (Domain power: Turn undead with a +2 bonus on the turning check and +1d6 to the turning damage roll)

Thanks in advance.

Adumbration
2008-01-23, 12:06 PM
If you have Book of Exalted deeds, you might consider taking Exalted Turning feat. It adds 3d6 damage when turning. There's also a feat called Holy Radiance that let's you glow with light harmful to undead, but it requires another exalted deed, Nimbus of Light.

Keld Denar
2008-01-23, 12:44 PM
ok, so our new campaign is about to start and i'll be playing a cloistered cleric/RSoP/sacred exorcist. needless to say i'll have tons of turn attempts. now, our DM uses the destroy undead rules instead of turning. (d6 per lvl damage in a burst, DC 10 + CHA +1/2 lvl will save for half damage.

well it looks like i'm gonna be the first person in his games to be using greater turning and we are trying to come up with some ideas on how to use it. any ideas would be a great help. also, i might be taking glory domain so we'd need a way to figure how that power works as well. (Domain power: Turn undead with a +2 bonus on the turning check and +1d6 to the turning damage roll)

Thanks in advance.

One way I've seen it is that a greater turning is then a maximized turning, ie max damage on all your turning d6s. An alternative would be to empower your turning dice, multiplying the results by 1.5.

That said, turning as damage can get silly if you get the right gear. Sacred enchancement (LM) to shield and armor are +2 equiv an add 2 to your turning level. A Phylactery of Undead Turning in the DMG adds another 4 levels. Ephod of Authority in MIC adds another 1 and Glory Domain from RSoP adds 1, for +10 TL, or 10d6 damage right off the bat. Next comes the roll. Assume a roll of 1, and get a Rod of Defiance from LM adds 4, high cha (16 base, +6 item =22) adds 6, 5 ranks in Know:Religion adds 2 and concecrate (persistant aura from SE) adds 3. That's 1+4+6+2+3 for 16, which is CL+3 on a roll of 1. A roll of 6+ gets us to 21 for +4. That means 25% of the time, you are adding 13 dice to your damage roll, and 75% of the time you are adding 4. A clr6/RSoP5/SE5 is a 16th level character. 75% of the time, hes gonna drop a 30d6 blast on undead, which averages 105, and if maximized is 180 or empowered is 157. Thats some hurtin and should top off most appropriate CR liches. Oh, and the will save is 31, not super high, but respectable.

UMDPenguin
2008-01-23, 02:58 PM
that is pretty crazy. Though i think he does it slightly different. No roll for CL modifier and i don't know if he'll add +TL items to the will save. that would tone things down a bit. Though the basis of my character is amazing buff/healing and amazing vs undead, crap at everything else, so i think i'd be fine unless he has a heavy undead campaign in front of us. i'll run the empower and maximised idea past him, i think he was looking at just increasing the DC. thanks for the help.

Shishnarfne
2008-01-23, 05:39 PM
I've actually encountered this in one of my campaigns: I interpreted Greater Turning + Destroy Undead as removing the save for half.

This was because I considered Empowering or maximizing it too much.

For effects that increase effective level, I would interpret this as extra dice for the Destroy Undead attempt (possible slight Save increase) based on the extra level.

For effects that add extra turning Dice, it might be possible to increase the effective AREA of the Destroy effect, so that more Undead can be struck down (which is what the extra dice add). However, as it already hits all undead within 30 ft., this might only be a marginal benefit.