PDA

View Full Version : [Class] Revear [PEACH]

Lichtouch
2008-01-23, 12:52 PM
Simply put, this is a concept I had for a "vile" rogue-monk hybrid. More specifically, it's going to be used as a person enemy or a DMPC for the PCs to eliminate. So, tear it apart:

The Reaver

Level Base Fort Refl Will Special Unarmed Butcher
Attack Save Save Save Strike
Bonus
1st +0 +0 +2 +0 Butcher +1d6, 1d6 -1/-1
Abomination,
Rending Claws
2nd +1 +0 +3 +0 - 1d6 +0/+0
3rd +1 +1 +3 +1 - 1d6 +1/+1
4th +2 +1 +4 +1 Brutality 1d8 +2/+2
5th +2 +1 +4 +1 Butcher +2d6, 1d8 +4/+4
Abomination Feat
6th +3 +2 +5 +2 - 1d8 +5/+5/+0
7th +3 +2 +5 +2 - 1d8 +6/+6/+1
8th +4 +2 +6 +2 - 1d10 +7/+7/+2
9th +4 +3 +6 +3 Butcher +3d6 1d10 +9/+9/+4
10th +5 +3 +7 +3 Camoflague, 1d10 +10/+10/+5
Abomination Feat
11th +5 +3 +7 +3 - 1d10 +11/+11/+6/+1
12th +6/+1 +4 +8 +4 - 2d6 +12/+12/+7/+2
13th +6/+1 +4 +8 +4 Butcher +4d6 2d6 +13/+13/+8/+3
14th +7/+2 +4 +9 +4 - 2d6 +14/+14/+9/+4
15th +7/+2 +5 +9 +5 Abomination Feat 2d6 +15/+15/+10/+5
16th +8/+3 +5 +10 +5 - 2d8 +16/+16/+11/+6/+1
17th +8/+3 +5 +10 +5 Butcher +5d6 2d8 +17/+17/+12/+7/+2
18th +9/+4 +6 +11 +6 - 2d8 +18/+18/+13/+8/+3
19th +9/+4 +6 +11 +6 - 2d8 +19/+19/+14/+9/+4
20th +10/+5 +6 +12 +6 Abomiantion Feat 2d10 +20/+20/+15/+10/+5
Hide in Plain Sight

Abilities: Strength and Dexterity are most important for a Reaver. Strength in order to hit in melee, and deal more damage in melee and Dexterity in order to hide long enough in order to be able to butcher its target.
Alignment: Any evil.
Hit Dice: d6
Starting Gold: 5d4

Class Skills
The monk's class skills are Balance, Climb, Escape Artist, Hide, Jump, Listen, Move Silently, Spot, Swim and Tumble.
Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int Modifier) x 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int Modifier

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the Reaver.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency:
Due to the raking claws on the Reaver's hands, it is unable to become proficient with any weapon whatsoever. Also, the Reaver does not start off proficient with any armour, refusing to risk making itself visible.
Abomination and Abomination Feats:
The Reaver is an abomination. It's a hideous creature that was either born or altered for hideous acts. It can choose between two bonus feats at 1st level - Willing Deformity (from the Book of Vile Darkness) and Abberation Blood (from the Lords of Madness sourcebook). At 5th, 10th, 15th and 20th level, you get an Abomination feat. With this feat, you can choose a feat for which the chosen "Abomination" feat at 1st level is a prequisite. (Note: If the "Deformity: Claws" feat is chosen, it raises the Reaver's Unarmed Strike a single category - 2d10 becomes 3d6.)
Butcher:
If you're not careful, then the last thing you will ever see is the Reaver. It is adept at pouncing upon unsuspecting foes and rending them limb from limb with tooth and claw. Butcher comes into effect at any time its target would be denied at Dexterity Bonus to AC, or when the rogue flanks its target. Under these circumstances, it uses a different base attack bonus to usual and deals an extra attack using its highest base attack bonus. Each attack deals an extra 1d6 damage at 1st Level, 2d6 and 5th level, 3d6 at 9th level, 4d6 at 13th level and 5d6 at 17th level. If a Reaver gets a critical while using Butcher, the modifiers are not multiplied. A Reaver's Butcher attacks take a -2 modifier. This modifier lessens to -1 at 5th level and vanishes entirely at 9th level. Unlike Sneak Attack, Butcher affects any creature, despite its anatomy or whether it's dead or alive. A Reaver cannot Butcher using a ranged weapon of any kind.
Rending Claws:
The characteristic that all Reavers carry is lethal-looking claws, whether they are natural or the product of self-mutilation. But the stronger a Reaver gets, the more adept he gets at using his claws. At 1st level, a Reaver gains Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat. There is no such thing as an off-hand attack for a Reaver striking unarmed. A Reaver may thus apply its full Strength bonus on damage rolls for all her unarmed attacks. A Reaver must always deal lethal slashing damage with its unarmed attacks. A Reaver's unarmed strike is treated both as a manufactured weapon and a natural weapon for the purposes of spells and effects that enhance or improve either manufactured weapons or natural weapons. A Reaver also deals more damage with its unarmed strikes than a normal person would, as shown on the table above. However, small Reavers deal less damage. Where a medium Reaver deals 1d6, a small Reaver deals 1d4. Where a medium Reaver deals 1d8, a small Reaver deals 1d6. Where a medium Reaver deals 1d10, a small Reaver deals 1d8. Where a medium Reaver deals 2d6, a small Reaver deals 1d10.
Brutality: At 4th level, a Reaver's unarmed attacks aare treated as magic weapons for the purpose of dealing damage to creatures with damage reduction.
Camoflague:
A Reaver of 10th level or higher can use the Hide skill in any sort of terrain, even if the terrain doesn't grant cover or concealment.
Hide in Plain Sight:
A Reaver of 20th level or higher can use the Hide skill even while being observed.

Ex-Reavers
A Reaver who changes its alignment to one other than evil can still take levels in Reaver. However, from then on, it can no longer take any Abomination feats. While it remains a natural weapon and can continue to hone its skills as a living warmachine, it rejects its alien heritage or refuses to maim itself anymore.

PLAYING A REAVER
You most effective in the shadows. Your claws are made for rending the flesh and bone of unsuspecting victims, not for parrying, being parried by and being dodged by opponents who know of your presence. When in the open, you are weak and open to obliteration. You also rely on close combat, unable to efficiently use any ranged weaponry. If you are forced to fight on your enemies' terms, then you are unlikely to survive. However, never forget - if you fight your opponents on your own terms, then your success is promised.

Religion
As a reaver, you can be godless scum, a fanatical zealot or just follow a few basic principles of a god. The most popular choice for creatures such as yourself is Erythnul, the God of Slaughter, a diety that emphasizes the brutal nature of your kind, encouraging and rewarding your butchering of anyone and everyone. A less common choice is Hextor, who you may serve as an agent of tyranny for. Gruumsh is a favourite choice if you're a half-orc, a god who will accept you for your gifts and demand that you put them to good use in the slaughter of his enemies. Vecna is a rather unpopular choice, due to his subtle nature - although you may stalk through the shadows, you are not know for secretive tendancies. If you gained your abilities from your abberant heritage, you might also wish to praise any of the unhuman gods.

Other Classes
You get along extremely well with rogues of evil alignment, both of you usually having similar goals. You respect the combat abilities of fighters, barbarians and some evil clerics and if you're lucky, gain respect in return. However, your relationship of paladins and good clerics is one of absolute hatred and usually results in the death of one of you. Druids can either love you or hate you - good druids will believe you to be a blight on the world and wish your end while evil druids will believe you to be a marvel of nature, especially if your abilities come from aberrant blood. You respect wizards and sorcerors despite their feeble defence, due to the enhancements they can provide to you. In the end, though, you shouldn't expect anything more than disdain from any other classes.

Combat
You may sometimes feel like you lack options in battle because of your lack of use outside of stealth. But as you grow stronger, stealth will become your domain and it shall be on the border of impossible to remove you from it. Hide and Move Silently are possibly your most useful skills. Without then, you will be unable to get close enough to an enemy to strike without them knowing of your presence. Other useful skills include Escape Artist, in order to escape from foes who may try to restrict you and prevent your assault. Another possible skill that you might want to use is Tumble, in order for you to move to another more favourable position in combat. Your greatest friends are going to be arcane spellcasters, who will be casting spells on you to help conceal you, include the Invisibility spells. With your powers combined, you are likely to be unstoppable.

REAVERS IN THE WORLD
"He was all fins 'n claws 'n teeth 'n blood 'n rage... Jumpin' in an' out o' the shadows... Tore off my arm without even flinchin'... He weren't human... He weren't even half orc... Somethin' like tha' don't have a race... It's just hate, death an' pain all wrapped up in one neat lil' package..."
- Jack Ramsey, a mercenary who barely survived an encounter with a reaver.

The chance of finding a non-evil civilization that will tolerate a beast like you is as likely as finding a friendly mind flayer. The only reason why you might not be butchered on sight is because of how valuable you are as a tool. If you're lucky, you might be accepted into a party or even be respected. However, in the end you will be treated as a social pariah.

Daily Life
The life of a reaver is surprisingly simple. At the start of the day, the reaver collects its food - usually killing local wildlife or lower class civilians and eating their corpses raw or cooked, depending on the urgency of the situation. They usually stalk town slums or wilderness roads, robbing passing merchants or citizens of the gold that they may possess and then proceeding to butcher them. Some of them may have specific goals, ranging from total domination to starting a bandit organization. Not all reavers are bandits and murderers, although that is what they often start off as due to their alignment and their rejection from society.

Organizations
There are very rare cases of sects of reavers being created, hordes of depraved assassins who will get the job done despite how many people they will have to kill. Other than that, reavers usually live by themselves, leading solitary lives. There are rare cases where parties will earn the respect of a reaver and the reaver will join them or a party will hire a reaver for particular work. Reavers are surprisingly common in the ranks of slaves for aboleths, mind flayers and neogi, due to the fact that many of them are the product of sick and twisted experiments by the abominations of nature.

NPC Reactions
While assassins and blackguards are respected out of fear, the appearance of the reaver is so degenerated that despite the fear it may cause, it is more likely to a rouse a lynch mob than anything else. For this reason, reavers make themselves at home in the darker, shadier parts of town where either the money they possess is enough to stop them from getting butchered or their skills keep them hidden from the usual men and women. And they are hunted for good reason - their staple food is usually any sort of animal and when they can't get access to that, they chow down on human flesh.

REAVER LORE
Characters with ranks in Knowledge (Dungeoneering) can research reavers to learn more about them. When a character makes a skill check, read or paraphrase the following, including the information from lover DCs.
DC 10: A bunch of deformed freaks that fight with tooth and claw.
DC 15: Clawed, lightly-armoured fighters that rely on the shadows to win a fight.
DC 20: Reavers are weak outside on camoflague but when they are concealed, they reign supreme. Some reavers willingly become what they are through self-mutilation while others are born into their place as reavers due to their aberrant heritage.

JakStone
2008-01-23, 01:25 PM
Okay, I think Butcher is the coolest thing ever and fully intend on stealing it with your permission. A sneak attack flurry of blows with a great BAB? Yes please. The fact that it's BAB sucks when it can't butcher is a great balancing factor, and as a PC without improved uncanny dodge, I'd be downright terrified of facing a team of two Reavers, or a reaver/rogue team. *shudders* You should clarify if the BAB gained from Butcher stacks with your BAB from other classes when butchering, and if the bonus damage from Butcher is applied to each attack made. The weapon proficency/armor proficency is a bit wierd - perhaps create a Reaver feat that will allow it to gain weapon proficency?

Overall, great class with great favor. My biggest complaint is the number of 'empty' levels, while at some levels you gain 3 abilities - I think you should divide those extra abilities up to fill in the levels that don't have anything right now, but that's just because I hate empty levels. Great stuff, and I'm going to test a Reaver out at somepoint in the future to see how it works. :)

Lichtouch
2008-01-23, 02:07 PM
No. The Butcher BAB does not stack with the BAB from other classes. The only way to increase Butcher BAB is to take classes of Reaver.

Originally, this class was much more fragile, instead of being a rogue without utility and more damage. I wanted it to be very clear this class was screwed over if it was caught in the open - it had all together crap saves (+6 max for all of them at 20th level) and d4 HP. However, due to complaints on other forums about its lack of survivability, I upgraded it. I'm not sure if the original concept has held together, but we'll see.

The Weapon / Armour proficiency is meant to stop this class from becoming hideously powerful during the first few levels. I don't want people using crossbows to Butcher from great distances or people wearing armour to completely bugger the feeling I am trying to get with this class. While a Reaver can gain Armour proficiency, it doesn't start off with it. And its malformed, clawed hands prevent it from efficiently wielding any weapons.

Thing is though, what can I fill in the empty levels with? I'm trying to keep everything at an organized pace here - I don't want any uneven abomination feats or Butchers.

And at 20th level, Reavers can be lethal, being able to do up to a max of 80d6 damage in a single round with its Butcher (if using both hands, which it definately will be by then). But, if it comes out of the shadows for even a second, the Reaver is dead.

Lichtouch
2008-01-24, 01:50 AM
I'm not sure how you folks here handle bumps, so this will be the only one that will be done. I just want to see if more than one person has an opinion on my work.

Stycotl
2008-01-24, 02:38 PM
it seems unfinished to me. there are too many dead levels, and i think hat there should be more skulking, burrowing, grubbing, pouncing type powers that don't necessarily relate to combat itself (since he seems able to handle his own in his fashion).

you wanted him to have some specific vulnerabilities. i can't think of any off the top of my head, but maybe something along the mechanical lines of light sensitivity or something (ls itself probably wouldn't work. generally more of a racial thing) or some compulsions, or addictions or something. maybe each abomination feat comes with an rp price. first feat: choose between light sensitivity or cannibalism. next feat: fear of children, or compulsion to offer the finger bones of all victims to his real or imagined god, etc...

the abomination feat at the beginning seems lonely. granted, you get more of them, but it doesn't play any other purpose.

maybe come up with some dungeoneering skills. ability to search, spot, move silent, etc at higher speeds while in a dungeon or something. trapfinding. trapcrafting. uncanny dodge.

i guess what it comes down to for me is that he doesn't seem tied-together enough. there should be a connecting factor between his psychotic nature, and ALL of his cool abilities. or if it is not psychosis, connect it to whatever it really is. give it more fluff.

you have a really intriguing concept that is so *so* close to being fleshed out in a very satisfactory way. take some time to give him a background and some other good fluff, and as you do that, the skills, etc will probably come (that's the way i work).

and he does need something to round him out. seems underpowered in all ways except for his ambushing capability. needs something else.

aaron out.

Lichtouch
2008-01-24, 03:08 PM
Well, i'd rather not have the class have to progressively choose weaknesses. And so far, I have had some ideas for empty levels.

Skulking Horror: The Reaver gains the ability to charge and remain undetected. This requires a Hide and/or Move Silently check, depending on the Reaver's position.
Brutality (Adamantine / Evil): The Reaver's unarmed attacks count as Adamantine or Evil weapons for the purpose of damage reduction.
Debauchery: At a certain level, Reavers can grow grafts as they are recognized in the Fiend Folio and the Lords of Madness Sourcebooks. These collections of grafts could consist of:
Burrowing Claws or Rending Claws
Antennae Graft or Darksight Eyes
Climbing Legs or Fast Legs
Etc

Just a few examples.