PDA

View Full Version : weapon enchantments...

daggaz
2008-01-23, 02:18 PM
You have a limited amount of gold, lets say enough for a +3 weapon. Obviously you have to pay for the first +1 enhancement bonus, but with the rest of the money (assuming it has to be spent on pimping the weapon), do you pay for an enchantment and if so, which one, or do you go for a higher enhancement bonus?

Duke of URL
2008-01-23, 02:20 PM
I would probably go with the special qualities (in this case, either two +1 features or one +2 feature), as it's much more common to see spells that give enhancement bonuses than special effects.

As to which ones to choose... very situationally-dependent. It comes down to what works best for the character concept and setting.

Keld Denar
2008-01-23, 02:34 PM
Collision (MIC) is a +2 equiv that adds a flat +5 damage. Its not quite as much damage as Holy or Flaming+Shocking (average 7) but its untyped, so it isn't affected by opponent alignment, type, or elemental resistances, and its static, which means that it gets multiplied on a crit. Its the best general purpose +dmg enhancement.

If you suspect to fight lots of non-constructs/undead/plants, Wounding (+2) is the 2nd best, IMO. Con damage scales with level, as each 2 points of con damage causes a creature to lose 1hp/hd. It also lowers fort saves for your arcanists save or die spells such as Finger of Death. Great if you get lots of attacks/round.

If you expect to fight lots of outsiders, you can't beat Sacred (+1) with Bane:Evil Outsiders(+1). This combo results in a good aligned weapon that does 4d6+2 damage vs evil outsiders, more than 2x as much damage as holy. Unfortunately, if you aren't fighting them, its only a +1 weapon.

Seffbasilisk
2008-01-23, 02:44 PM
I favor 'Magebane'. +1 cost, is 'bane' vs everything that can cast spells/has spell like abilities. Which at higher levels is...well..almost everything.

For the other +1...I'd have to go with Acidic Burst from Magic Item Compendium. It's the Corrosive property (a +1 on it's own) AND a burst (ye know? the d10 bonuses on a crit?) for the price of +1!

I don't know of any creature HEALED by acid, so at worst, it just doesn't affect them, and at best, say...vs Trolls.... Not to mention the joy sundering.

Wordmiser
2008-01-23, 02:47 PM
You have a limited amount of gold, lets say enough for a +3 weapon. Obviously you have to pay for the first +1 enhancement bonus, but with the rest of the money (assuming it has to be spent on pimping the weapon), do you pay for an enchantment and if so, which one, or do you go for a higher enhancement bonus?If it weren't for the Greater Magic Weapon spell, I would get the +X enhancement.

Because of that spell, I would go for another enhancement like Magebane or Wounding (Remember that almost everything has an Elemental Resistance/Immunity of some sort.

mabriss lethe
2008-01-23, 03:31 PM
Cursespewing for +1 is a nifty little piece of hardware...and from what I remember, can be used on projectile weapons. Combine it with spellstoring for your gish characters and the fun that can be had. Amazing combo for a hexblade. I was messing around with a goblin hexblade with a lance enchanted this way. A few rounds of combat left even the baddest BBEGs curled up in the fetal position.

I was going to say shadowstriking...but I realize it's a +3 enhancement. so nevermind. It's still nifty though.

Vampiric is pretty fun, and I think it's a +2, but I can't remember off the top of my head.

Keld Denar
2008-01-23, 03:36 PM
Cursespewing for +1 is a nifty little piece of hardware...and from what I remember, can be used on projectile weapons. Combine it with spellstoring for your gish characters and the fun that can be had. Amazing combo for a hexblade. I was messing around with a goblin hexblade with a lance enchanted this way. A few rounds of combat left even the baddest BBEGs curled up in the fetal position.

I was going to say shadowstriking...but I realize it's a +3 enhancement. so nevermind. It's still nifty though.

Vampiric is pretty fun, and I think it's a +2, but I can't remember off the top of my head.

An alternative to Shadowstriking is Transmuting (+2) in the MIC. Its properties morph to overcome any DR on the round following a successful attack. Not quite as useful as Shadowstriking, but within the budget range. Fighting something with DR/Good and Lawful and Adamantine and Vanilia and Blue? Good to go!

Craig1f
2008-01-23, 03:59 PM
There's an enhancement in MIC that's 5000gp flat, and does not incur against your "pluses". It allows you to, once a day, increase the range of your weapon by 5ft. While doing so, your target is denied their bonus from dex.

Person_Man
2008-01-23, 04:35 PM
+1

Spell Storing: Work with the full casters in your group. Or if you are a full caster, this is a great way to store an extra spell. Also, if you're a Kensai with multiple natural attacks (like 4 arms or tentacles) or you're a high level PC with Quickdraw and a bunch of Spell Storing weapons, its an easy way to make a nova attack.

Aptitude: Tome of Battle: Allows you to apply feats that reference a specific weapon to the aptitude weapon. Works great with Lightning Maces (using a high a crit range weapon) and the Stunning Fist feats.

Valorous: Unapprouchable East: Double damage on a charge. W00T!

Bane: Great with ammo.

+2

Holy: Evil enemies are very common. This does bonus damage and gives them negative levels.

Banishing: Magic Item Comp: Screw you extraplanar/summoned enemies!

Blindsighted: Magic Item Comp: Who doesn't need Blindsight? Put it on your armor spikes or spiked gauntlets so that it doesn't drive up the cost of your primary weapon.

Metalline: Underdark: Change the weapon into any material, letting you bypass most forms of DR (though there's a +3 enhancement that bypasses ANY DR).

Vampiric: Drow of the Underdark: Heal 1d4 damage with each hit. Can make a huge difference for melee builds with lots of attacks, especially Crusaders.

wormwood
2008-01-23, 04:37 PM
For the other +1...I'd have to go with Acidic Burst from Magic Item Compendium. It's the Corrosive property (a +1 on it's own) AND a burst (ye know? the d10 bonuses on a crit?) for the price of +1!

I'm pretty sure that having Corrosive on the weapon is a prerequisite for Acidic Burst. No free bursting for you, friend.

Reijura
2008-01-23, 04:51 PM
I forget the name of the enchantment, but its in the Magic Item Compe.

Allows the weapon to transform to various other weapons. From short spear/long spear to bastard or what not.

Bear in mind, my memory may be a little faulty and may be BS'ing on this one :P
Though it would be good for a very melee centric character

Chronos
2008-01-23, 06:02 PM
Holy: Evil enemies are very common. This does bonus damage and gives them negative levels.The negative levels are only if an evil creature attempts to wield it, not on a hit. I suppose it's nice that your enemies can't use your own weapon against you, but that's pretty situational.

Thrawn183
2008-01-23, 07:44 PM
Depending on how friendly you are with a specific caster, Bloodstone (MIC) might be even better than spellstoring. Though the flexibility of spellstoring is very nice.

Edit: I would probably take a spellstoring weapon over anything else. Some are really nice, but always situational.

The_Snark
2008-01-23, 09:00 PM
I favor 'Magebane'. +1 cost, is 'bane' vs everything that can cast spells/has spell like abilities. Which at higher levels is...well..almost everything.

Actually, it only works against targets who can cast arcane spells or use invocations. Updated in the Magic Item Compendium.

Still useful, because arcane spellcasters can be very dangerous opponents, but it is no longer an everything-bane.

If we're using a projectile weapon, the Force property from the Magic Item Compendium is good. Your arrows/bolts are now force effects, meaning they bypass all damage reduction and don't suffer from incorporeal miss chances. They can't damage anything immune to force effects, but to my knowledge, the only creature immune to force effects is the Force Dragon.

Holy is reliable damage, and spell storing is good as long as you coordinate with your party spellcaster. Wounding is nice, especially on bows-Rapid Shot and the ability to full attack without having to close means you're going to get off more attacks.

Merciful is nice, too, I usually pick it over any of the elemental enchantments. Only two types (undead and constructs) are immune to the extra damage, and the ability to knock your targets out is handy. You can always kill them afterwards, after all.

Rift_Wolf
2008-01-23, 11:27 PM

I don't know of any creature HEALED by acid, so at worst, it just doesn't affect them, and at best, say...vs Trolls.... Not to mention the joy sundering.

Golems are healed by acid damage. This is why every pit trap should be two feet deep in acid and contain a flesh golem.

shaggz076
2008-01-24, 06:46 AM
An alternative to Shadowstriking is Transmuting (+2) in the MIC. Its properties morph to overcome any DR on the round following a successful attack. Not quite as useful as Shadowstriking, but within the budget range. Fighting something with DR/Good and Lawful and Adamantine and Vanilia and Blue? Good to go!

What book is that in? The closest I have ever seen is to take Metaline (+1) and Sure Striking (+2) from the Underdark and Players guide to Farun.

Chronicled
2008-01-24, 06:48 AM
What book is that in? The closest I have ever seen is to take Metaline (+1) and Sure Striking (+2) from the Underdark and Players guide to Farun.

MIC = Magic Item Compendium.

These acronyms are in a stickied thread...

Talic
2008-01-24, 07:00 AM
Ghost Touch is a favorite of mine, and perhaps Corrosive, since acid resist is pretty rare.

I like the ability to guarantee hits when possible, though. That 50% miss chance irks me.

For ranged weapons? seeking and distance.

For ammunition? Wounding. Rapid shot, baby.