PDA

View Full Version : [Race] Apotheosis

SeekerInTheNight
2008-01-23, 06:42 PM
Alright, an introduction. The Apotheosis is meant to be ridiculously overpowered. I'm not, repeat, not looking for ways to tone the race down. Instead, I'm trying to find things that are escaping my notice. Interesting racial quirks that might be added in, conflicts between abilities, maybe things that aren't described well enough, etc. etc. etc.

That, and your opinions on the race. Is it cool? Sufficiently overpowered? Is there some flavor text I should be adding somewhere? Things like that.

Apotheosis
Race: Other

Medium: As Medium creatures, Apotheosis have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.

Apotheosis base land speed is 40 feet.

Stats: Apotheosis naturally excel in every area of physical and mental prowess, but tend to favor one slightly above the others. (Starting Stats are 18, with the player’s choice of one 20) Unlike other races, Apotheosis continue their growth constantly throughout their lives. (+1 stat point per level)

Ignorance: Apotheosis begin their new lives without written or spoken word. They tend to be reclusive until they pick up a language, communicating solely with their broodmates through their resonant empathy.

Immunities (Ex): All Apotheosis have immunity to sleep and paralysis effects. Additional, each Apotheosis has an additional energy immunity of the player’s choice.

Blindsense (Ex): Apotheosis can pinpoint creatures within a distance of 60 feet. Opponents the Apotheosis can’t actually see still have total concealment against the Apotheosis.

Keen Senses (Ex): An Apotheosis sees four times as well a human in shadowy illumination and twice as well in normal light. She also has darkvision out to 120 feet.

Scent (Ex): An Apotheosis can detect approaching enemies, sniff out hidden foes, and track by sense of smell. Familiar odors can be identified just as humans do familiar sights. The Apotheosis can detect opponents within 30 feet by sense of smell. If the opponent is upwind, the range increases to 60 feet; if downwind, it drops to 15 feet. Strong scents, such as smoke or rotting garbage, can be detected at twice the ranges noted above. Overpowering scents, such as skunk musk or troglodyte stench, can be detected at triple normal range.

When an Apotheosis detects a scent, the exact location of the source is not revealed—only its presence somewhere within range. The creature can take a move action to note the direction of the scent. Whenever the Apotheosis comes within 5 feet of the source, the Apotheosis pinpoints the source’s location.

Resonant Empathy (Ex): Each Apotheosis within a brood can detect the mental, emotional, and physical state of their broodmates at will as well as transmit messages to one another. These messages are basic in nature and generally based on emotional or mental state. Things such as “I’m fine” “Be ready” or “Hurry” would translate as a feeling of well-being, tension and readiness, or impatience. Complex thoughts like “There is a sniper in the belltower trying to assassinate the king with a maximized fireball,” wouldn’t translate well, and would likely come across as a muddled sense of danger or concern.

This ability works over any distance, regardless of physical state or well-being. An unconscious Apotheosis, if anything, becomes more prominent within her broodmates’ awareness. The death of a broodmate will be instantly known by every other Apotheosis in her brood, as well as every creature with an intelligence score greater than 4 within a 200 foot radius. The wash of vengeance pouring from such an act oftentimes will send less sentient creatures into a murderous rage against the Apotheosis’s killer.

Broodmates may track each other using this ability like iron fillings to a lodestone, no matter the distance.

Hive Mind (Ex): All Apotheosis within 500 feet of each other are in constant communication. If one is aware of a particular danger, the all are. If one in the group it not flat-footed, none of them are. No Apotheosis within range is considered flanked unless they all are.

Linguist (Ex): An Apotheosis picks up new languages with remarkable speed and accuracy. An hour of attempted communication, in which the Apotheosis tries to make herself understood, will yield basic passing understanding and speech. Fluency increases with each passing hour and after three the Apotheosis speaks the new language like she had been raised on it. Five hours totally immersed in a language, whether or not the Apotheosis attempts communication, will also yield these results.

Weaponsign (SU): Each Apotheosis has a specific weapon keyed directly to her soul. These weapons are immaterial until needed by the Apotheosis, and will appear in hand as an immediate action. These weapons are considered magic for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction, but can be altered as a free action to be considered alchemic silver, cold iron, or any other mundane material without losing its other features.

If an Apotheosis’s weapon is damaged, or taken from her, it automatically disappears and reappears in her hand. The weapon resists change of all kinds, including reforging, growing dull or magical enchantment. Only the Apotheosis herself can throw away her weapon for good, after which it dissolves into the immaterial forever.

An Apotheosis is automatically proficient with her chosen weapon type. An Apotheosis is considered a fighter equal to her class levels for the purpose of choosing weapon feats..

Religion: Apotheosis do not worship gods or nature, as such most divine classes are restricted for them. They often do not understand the concept and if they do, they rarely see the point. The get along just as easily without.

Alignment: Alignment is tricky for the Apotheosis. They can be good and bad, lawful and chaotic, and none of it really matters. Their motives are distant and their concerns are their own. An Apotheosis doesn’t have to answer to mortal or divine authorities; their only real loyalties are to their Brood. They simply don’t care about the affairs of men. A Lawful Good Apotheosis will slaughter an innocent (and can do so without a change in alignment) just as soon as a Chaotic Evil. The Apotheosis only answer to the Apotheosis.

Favored Class: Jack of All Trades (An Apotheosis takes no experience penalties when gaining levels as a Jack of All Trades. Instead, it takes them 4 times as much experience to gain a level in any other class unless noted otherwise.)

((The Jack is a similarily overpowered class that goes with the race, it will go up soonish))

SeekerInTheNight
2008-01-23, 06:53 PM
When I was writing this up, I was thinking about it as a race and not so much thinking about race if that makes any sense. Some reading later I've come to an impasse, because race is an extremely important aspect of DnD when you start getting into things. Of course this is my first foray into Race cherry-picking, so I'm curious what you all think on the subject.

Should I leave it as "Other" and address each situation as it comes up or is their a better choice? (Outsider or something)

celtois
2008-01-25, 09:57 AM
Looks pretty good I'd certainly play them if I where allowed to

great job making an overpowered race but hey I'd still rather play a dragon with no LA =)

Ghal Marak
2008-01-25, 05:04 PM
Oh yeah, I'm definately going to use this for an important NPC. Oh, and maybe it should be Outsider, though I'm not sure and can't look it up at the moment.

EDIT: Now that I'm off work I have more time. :smallbiggrin:

Okay, so upon my second read through, I note that a few of the abilities overlap each other. Scent, Blindsense, and Keen Senses are all nice, but the Blindsense almost totaly overshadows the Scent ability. The only thing it has going is that they can use it to track. Maybe you could replace it with another ability of some kind.

About the Resonant Empathy, it dosen't quite make sense with Hive Mind around. They already share a mind, so they should know how each other feel. You could just remove Hive Mind, and add in the effects you want out of it into Resonant Empathy. That would give it a feel that they don't share a singular mind, but they are pretty close to it.

Oh, and some fluff and description of the race would be nice. I have no idea what these things look like. :smallsmile:

SeekerInTheNight
2008-01-29, 01:12 PM
I have noticed that Scent and Blindsense overlap, but I'm fond of the effect it has on the character. Besides, this isn't Blindsight we're talking about. It is far more limited, and Scent makes up for a good deal of the spaces in the ability. It largely comes down to flavor, yes, but each of them also have a very specific use that lends to the overall comprehensive nature of the race.

Hive Mind was a last minute addition that someone pointed out to me right before I posted the race. I hadn't yet distilled it down to be a part of the base ability. You're right though, it will eventually become a part of Resonant Empathy.

As for using one as an NPC... =P Don't forget their death ability. I haven't attached a Will Save to it yet, but I'm sure you'll come up with something. Short-sighted or uninformed PCs could quickly find a fight they've won turning into a desperate battle against the civilian population (and maybe their own friends!) after defeated the Apotheosis.

Dragons without level adjustment don't get the stats that an Apotheosis get, nor do they take levels in Jack of All Trades. =P

Ghal Marak
2008-01-29, 06:12 PM
I have noticed that Scent and Blindsense overlap, but I'm fond of the effect it has on the character. Besides, this isn't Blindsight we're talking about. It is far more limited, and Scent makes up for a good deal of the spaces in the ability. It largely comes down to flavor, yes, but each of them also have a very specific use that lends to the overall comprehensive nature of the race.

True. I had actualy gotten the two mixed up in my head, so that is better than before.

Hive Mind was a last minute addition that someone pointed out to me right before I posted the race. I hadn't yet distilled it down to be a part of the base ability. You're right though, it will eventually become a part of Resonant Empathy.

Alright then. Ooo, heres an idea. How about including Frightful Presence or Fear Aura as well. Max range could be the same as it's death ability radius, but with some kind of limiter on it. Maybe with a 3/Day use? Na, maybe half the radius to 100ft. *shrug*

As for using one as an NPC... =P Don't forget their death ability. I haven't attached a Will Save to it yet, but I'm sure you'll come up with something. Short-sighted or uninformed PCs could quickly find a fight they've won turning into a desperate battle against the civilian population (and maybe their own friends!) after defeated the Apotheosis.

I actualy did forget about it. Will Save could be... DC 10+Cha+1/2HD? With those awesome abilities, I don't expect there will be many who will make the roll at mid-to-low level ranges (well, monks and wizards maybe).

Oh, and for the NPC that I'm going to use this for, it's the only one of its kind, so some of these abilites aren't going to see use. Maybe I could add a Telepathy in place of the Hive Mind and still retain the death-throws ability thing.

Dragons without level adjustment don't get the stats that an Apotheosis get, nor do they take levels in Jack of All Trades. =P

True. Though, I still haven't seen this Jack of All Trades class. Got a link?