PDA

View Full Version : Divine metamagic clarification

Idea Man
2008-01-23, 11:23 PM
As many of us know, divine metamagic is cheese. The most horrible outlet of this is persistent spell. This uses seven turn attempts, but this can be mitigated with nightsticks (rod of extra turning).

Now, how many nightsticks can you use at once? The text is ambiguous at best ("in your possession"). Is it like any other non-worn item, where you can only use one at a time (you could use two, one for each hand, but typically spellcasting requires a hand)? Or are you good as long as you don't stick them in your Handy Haversack.

If you can only use one at a time, then persistent spell will eat all the charges from the nightstick plus three from the caster. That's two or three castings a day at most. Cheese, but not game-breaking cheese. It would cut down on quickened spells a bit, too.

Which way is it, in-hand only or all carried? Which way should it be? I say you should have to hold the nightstick to use it, for both fluff and crunch reasons (fluff would be that it's covered in holy symbols, so a kind of support for the holy symbol; crunch that you'd have to get out new nightsticks as you burn through them).

Emperor Tippy
2008-01-23, 11:32 PM
Technically any Night Stick you have listed on your character sheet counts as in your possession. So you could cram a couple hundred in your Bag of Holding and be fine.

Now RAI I would only allow you to use 2 at once (1 per hand) if I didn't jsut ban them outright.

valadil
2008-01-24, 10:01 AM
I haven't read the rules for nightsticks, nor do I intend to, but as a GM I wouldn't allow a player to use them for anything but turning undead. Divine metamagic and other abilities that cost turning attempts can only come from your own turning attempts, not from items in my games. Not that I've ever had a player try to do this, mind you.

Saph
2008-01-24, 10:23 AM
Now RAI I would only allow you to use 2 at once (1 per hand) if I didn't jsut ban them outright.

That means you have no free hand to do the somatic component of the spell. Unless you have some other way of getting round that, or are casting a V-only spell, this means 1 nightstick max.

I still think just banning them outright is better, though.

- Saph

valadil
2008-01-24, 10:29 AM
Unless you have some other way of getting round that, or are casting a V-only spell, this means 1 nightstick max.

- Saph

Maybe they're using divine metamagic still spell.