PDA

View Full Version : Domain Access Sorcerer

Fizban
2008-01-24, 02:27 AM
So, the Domain Access Variant in Complete Champion. I'm not quite sure how many spells known you lose for taking it. The passage reads,

"you do not learn a new 1st level Sorcerer spell and 2nd level Sorcerer spell at 5th level. From now on you know one less sorcerer spell that you can cast at each subsequent level"

Now, the second part sounds like you should lose a spell known at each level, but the first part specifically mentions the 1st and 2nd level spells only, not mentioning how to determine which levels you would lose higher level spells known at. So do you only lose a 1st and 2nd level spell known?

And while we're at it, what domain would you pick?

(aside: I could swear I've seen this topic before, but I can't seem to find it, and I'm not sure if it was conclusive, or if it was on a different part of the feat)

Reel On, Love
2008-01-24, 02:36 AM
This feat is made of fail, because with your limited sorcerer spells known (and yeah, you do lose one of each level), you should be taking the most goddamn amazing spells in the entire freaking game. This means that to be worthwhile, your domain would have to contain some of the most goddamn amazing spells in the entire freaking game, and no domain has an optimal spell at all levels. The ability to use normally-divine spells is outweighed by the fact that divine spells just won't be as awesome as your high-powered sor/wiz selection.

Bag_of_Holding
2008-01-24, 03:04 AM
This feat is made of fail, because with your limited sorcerer spells known (and yeah, you do lose one of each level), you should be taking the most goddamn amazing spells in the entire freaking game. This means that to be worthwhile, your domain would have to contain some of the most goddamn amazing spells in the entire freaking game, and no domain has an optimal spell at all levels. The ability to use normally-divine spells is outweighed by the fact that divine spells just won't be as awesome as your high-powered sor/wiz selection.

However, you do get Domain Power iirc. Choose something like Competition domain for that sweet Divine Power/Righteous Might! Domination domain is one of my favourite, or luck domain is good too.

Look at Time domain (SC). It gives Foresight as 8th-level spell, and Time Stop at 9th. Those lovely utility spells such as True Strike/Freedom of Movement/Permanency/Contingency/Foresight and Timestop all in one package! You get an Improved Initiative feat to boot :smallwink:

Iku Rex
2008-01-24, 03:06 AM
Now, the second part sounds like you should lose a spell known at each level, but the first part specifically mentions the 1st and 2nd level spells only, not mentioning how to determine which levels you would lose higher level spells known at. So do you only lose a 1st and 2nd level spell known?No, you know "one less sorcerer spell ... at each subsequent level". One less spell known at level 3. One less spell known at level 4. One less spell known at level 5. And so on.

The idea is to replace one of your spells known for each level with a domain spell.

Which domain depends on what you want to accomplish. "Sorcerer" is not much a character description.

Reel On, Love
2008-01-24, 03:15 AM
However, you do get Domain Power iirc. Choose something like Competition domain for that sweet Divine Power/Righteous Might! Domination domain is one of my favourite, or luck domain is good too.
Wow, a domain power.
I think I'll just enjoy knowing Radiant Assault, Avasculate, Arcane Spellsurge, and all that jazz, instead.

Look at Time domain (SC). It gives Foresight as 8th-level spell, and Time Stop at 9th. Those lovely utility spells such as True Strike/Freedom of Movement/Permanency/Contingency/Foresight and Timestop all in one package! You get an Improved Initiative feat to boot :smallwink:
Great. Except that as a sorcerer I'd never learn Permanency, Contingency, or Foresight. There are far more valuable things to do with those spell slots. For example, if you picked up the Time domain, you don't have one of Veil of Undeath (AKA Immunity to Everything Technique), Irresistible Dance, and Greater Arcane Fusion.

Bag_of_Holding
2008-01-24, 03:23 AM
Whoa, hang on there. No one said about not being able to learn those spells, did they?

Nevertheless, it's not very nice being sarcastic ye know. I'll apoligise if I hurt your feelings somehow.

Dark Tira
2008-01-24, 08:50 AM
The worst thing about about this variant is losing your only top level known spell at even levels in exchange for being able to cast a domain spell only once a day. It pretty much puts the sorcerer 2 full levels behind the wizard for accessing spells. There really isn't a domain good enough to make it worthwhile.

CASTLEMIKE
2008-01-24, 11:11 AM
It works best with a custom domain you tailor for your PC IMO since that is permitted in game although it requires DM approval.

I prefer Arcane Disciple and the Spell domain for the (Mage Armor, Silence, Anyspells, Break Enchantment, Antimagic Fiedl and MDJ and taking advantage of casting a lower level domain bonus spell in a higher level spell slot) and Limited Wish or the Summoning domain for Lesser Planar Ally and Planar Ally for a dip into Thaumaturgist.

Fax Celestis
2008-01-24, 12:22 PM
Domain Access sorceror + Customize Domain feat = pick your own divine spells, one per level.

Darrin
2008-01-24, 12:59 PM
Domain Access sorceror + Customize Domain feat = pick your own divine spells, one per level.

There are some limitations. Healing Domain, for example, can only substitute conjuration (healing) spells at the same spell level, although this would allow you to sub in raise dead and resurrection.

The Magic Domain is the most flexible (sub in any spell), although you'd have to raise the spell level. You could sub in CLW, but it'd have to be as a 2nd level spell. Luck is probably the best. Good domain ability, and you could sub in any abjuration spells as well as any spell that gives a bonus on a d20 roll (which would probably be a good chunk of divination).

http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Customize_Domain,Dragon

The Divine Sorcery feat from Dragon #343 is much better than either the Domain Access variant or Arcane Disciple. You don't lose any spells, and unlike Arcane Disciple, you get the domain ability and your domain spell isn't dependent on Wisdom. You only get one additional spell known per day, but with item creation feats you can prep anything you don't need immediately as a scroll/potion/elixer/pill/etc.

http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Divine_Sorcery,Dragon

ChaosDefender24
2008-01-24, 01:20 PM
The key word here is "subsequent" level. They worded the first bit the way they did so you don't retroactively lose spells that you've already obtained, but "subsequent" only applies to the spell levels that you haven't snagged yet.

ShneekeyTheLost
2008-01-24, 01:28 PM
Grab Heal domain and be a healbot that even the Cleric has trouble matching. Spontanious Heal spells FTW!

Competition Domain, then go Incantatrix to be able to Persist Divine Power and Righteous Might at no additional cost with an easily attainable Spellcraft check. Who needs Tenser's Transformation? I got both fighting AND casting right here.