PDA

View Full Version : Rules for Pets

Wraithy
2008-01-24, 11:52 AM
Are there any existing rules for pets?
More specifically for buying animals, is there a price guide that would include pre-taught tricks?

blue_fenix
2008-01-24, 12:15 PM
The closest thing I've seen is that in the SRD there's a description, I think under "Handle Animal" of trick sets that are commonly taught for the sake of a particular job, and I think it includes info on teaching them.

The way I would deal with pets would be a combination of handle animal checks and something akin to a leadership score. You can probably find some exotic store owner willing to sell you an animal, but there's no reason it won't run away. An initial handle animal check of DC 10 (doable with no ranks) means the animal considers you its owner and won't run away unless you mistreat it. Keeping track of how you treat it over time could allow for a way to judge whether it would misbehave or run away in various circumstances, and if you treat it well enough, you should get a circumstance bonus on the handle animal checks to train it. Also, remember that others in the party or the shopkeeper could "Aid Another" to help you train it.

Wraithy
2008-01-24, 12:31 PM
Thanks, the main thing I wanted was to give my character a tiny animal that would hide but not run away during combat, and would be slightly useful out of combat.

Are there any tricks that would be good for this sort of animal?

AKA_Bait
2008-01-24, 02:16 PM
The list of tricks associated with handle animal is here. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/handleAnimal.htm)

Out of combat, I'd think that Heel, Fetch, Stay, Seek, Track and Work would probably be pretty useful.

Craig1f
2008-01-24, 04:01 PM
The list of tricks associated with handle animal is here. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/handleAnimal.htm)

Out of combat, I'd think that Heel, Fetch, Stay, Seek, Track and Work would probably be pretty useful.

Pets can be very useful. My barbarian has a few levels of ranger, so he's a decent archer ... but he'd like to be able to fire off a few shots, drop his bow, and charge. He'll use a pet dog or something to pick up his bow so he doesn't lose it.

Draz74
2008-01-24, 05:45 PM
I can't find it, but wasn't there some Web Enhancement that let non-Druid/Rangers get a weaker version of the Animal Companion?

zaei
2008-01-24, 06:02 PM
I can't find it, but wasn't there some Web Enhancement that let non-Druid/Rangers get a weaker version of the Animal Companion?

You're thinking of Wild Cohort (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a), which is pretty damn awesome.

Irreverent Fool
2008-01-24, 06:24 PM
There are some rules for purchasing rare/wild/exotic/trained animals in the Arms & Equipment guide. Also - one of the Monster Manuals has the 'warbeast' template. It's a template that can be applied to pretty much any animal simply by having it specially trained. I believe there are also rules for pricing listed there.

My ubercharger halfling paladin rides an advanced warbeast cheetah thanks to these rules. (Traded mount in for smiting charge).